• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

Fuck Mages and their fucking board cleansers that they have all the fucking time.
Fuck Warlocks for all their goddamn minions they summon nonstop.
Fuck everyone and their goddamn C'thun.

I just wanna play my Paladin deck but no, cant take out a single fucking card without there instantly being some sort of fucking counter to it.

fertygo

4 health is pretty awkward for Warrior to deal with now that Death's Bite is gone. Fiery + Blood to Ichor or a Whirlwind effect is the best way to do it. (Or Kor'kron Elite if you want to use it as removal).

Blood to Ichor not only facilitates good trades it generates tempo, procs excecute, can be comboed with Acolyte or Battle Rage to draw a card, it can enrage a minion... it's one of my favorite Old Gods cards. So flexible.

Yeah card like this that I mean "Clever" card, incredibly versatile and useful and so simple

Levi

Banned
Fuck Mages and their fucking board cleansers that they have all the fucking time.

I just wanna play my Paladin deck but no, cant take out a single fucking card without there instantly being some sort of fucking counter to it.

A paladin complaining about board clears? Dude, you have Pyromancer, Equality and Consecration. Druids, Rogues, and Priests would KILL to have the clears you have.

What Paladin deck are you playing? Because unless you're playing Wild, Paladin is not a competitive class. While they have some of the best cards in the game, this meta is all about 1 drops and 2 drops and Paladin lost all of their early game in the shift to the Standard format.

KuroNeeko

Played about 15 games with C'thun / N'zoth Priest last night.

The 100%-ish win rate against Control Warrior variants was nice and did well against Tempo Mage and Renolock.

Unfortunately, Shaman and Hunter match-ups were both pretty abysmal. Overall the deck had about a 50~55% win rate. Played for about two hours last night and went from 15-14. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I should add that I wasn't playing with Crazed Follower (3/6 taunt) or Twin Emps because I don't have them and don't want to craft them since C'thun isn't getting any more support in the future. They probably would have helped.)

Trying out the N'zoth / Dragon Priest deck and the results are somewhat promising so far. Six wins and one loss, but matches against Shaman yet so it's too early to tell. Played a few games today and am almost at 12. At this rate, I can probably shoot for 8-ish (previous high was rank 9.)

It doesn't really feel like a Priest deck though. You're not using your hero power often, nor are you playing with a lot of "fun" Priest cards. Only one Cabalist, one Entomb, and two Shades... otherwise, you're just playing stuff on curve until later in the game.

Hit 250 wins on Priest last night. I'd like to grind out a gold Anduin before Tyrande(?) comes out so I can say good-bye to him FOREVER.

Sorry, dood. I feel your pain. I'm playing Priest and even I usually stomp on Paladin (unless you're running Justicar.)

Badgerst3

Link to any remotely viable priest or Mage deck that can get past rank 10?

Got close last season with a ngoth dragon priest but sucking now.

Have decent Mage and priest card acces but that be it....

Fishlake

nE8FuKP.png

Proof enough for you buddy? I've gotten to rank 5 every season since ranked rewards went live, and it's taken me less than two hours (max three hours) every single time.

edit: I don't think I've said that I've had 80% every season but it's damn near close to it. I have however said it takes me less than a couple of hours every season. And I've stated that it takes no skill, and that the game is shit - but I'm doing this for the rewards because the rest of the game (including standard) is terrible.

Mind sharing your full decklist and general strategy.

I think I'm trading too often but judging when to not trade is difficult for me.

KuroNeeko

Link to any remotely viable priest or Mage deck that can get past rank 10?

Got close last season with a ngoth dragon priest but sucking now.

Have decent Mage and priest card acces but that be it....

I think Priest is a labor of love right now. Don't play it unless you like it.

Otherwise, I think Tempo Mage can get you to 10. I was playing it late last month and got to 9 without much trouble. I was using a more control-ish variant (Strifecro's list) with Frosted Dementors and Cabalist Tomes, but Hotform reached rank #1 legend (NA) with a pretty standard tempo list. The only legendary was Yogg and maybe a Thalnos?

With regard to Thing from Below, every time you hero power as Shaman you're paying 2 mana for a one mana card. TfB gives you that extra mana back. That's fair.

The problem is, you don't need to take the tempo loss of hero powering on your early turns in order to get the discounts. You can play cards that generate tempo, such as Tuskarr Totemic, Totem Golem or Flametongue Totem, and then you also get to "bank" additional tempo in a future TfB play. That's ridiculous.

TfB should either only proc off of hero powers, OR it should work like Knight of the Wild for Druid.
Hero powers are the equivalent of 0 mana cards.

Is Warlock class full of troll cards? Recently I got Pit Lord and a Golden Darkshire Librarian. Also have a Golden Felguard. Thinking to dust these cards. so funny how Warlock seems designed to hurt his self so much. Now- at least with darkshire librarian I could work around the penalty if my hand is empty
Since Warlocks can draw cards whenever they want, Blizzard has tried to balance that draw in various ways such as giving cards drawbacks so you don't want to, or can't, draw as much.

Darkshire Librarian is garbage. Its only use is proccing off of Piloted Shredder. Maybe a N'Zoth deck with another expansion worth of cards

Good lord the complaining. So much complaining.
For the record, I haven't complained since I started playing Wild. :p

Clear the board?
Forbidden Ritual brought it back!

Biggest minions in the game?
Power Overwhelming makes the 1/1 bigger!

Stablized the board?
Doomguard is the best charge minion in the game!

Playigng OP 7/7s on turn 4?
Sea Giant is cheaper!

You put a lot of draw in your deck to keep up?
Zoolock is draw!

Zoolock doesn't care! rofl

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining - I'm just having fun.

KuroNeeko

Shifting Shade gave me a Dark Peddler, which gave me a Mind Vision, which gave me a Jaraxxus against Reno Lock.

Played Jaraxxus and ate Leroy + PO + Faceless. D:

I thought Reno played either Jaraxxus OR Leroy...dammit. lol

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
mofo spread his PO too smh

Now that you mention it I might have been able to win because of that misplay or at least lasted a turn or two longer. I didn't die the turn I posted I ended up with one health. Because of that I played scared and was convinced he'd have some way to take out the taunt I had in my hand immediately then kill me in the same turn. I ended up playing the charge minion instead to get rid of his 4/4. Opp responded by playing that 5/7 with charge and hitting face. I don't remember the two cards discarded but I think I would have survived.

I responded to a misplay with a misplay

fertygo

Now that you mention it I might have been able to win because of that misplay or at least lasted a turn or two longer. I didn't die the turn I posted I ended up with one health. Because of that I played scared and was convinced he'd have some way to take out the taunt I had in my hand immediately then kill me in the same turn. I ended up playing the charge minion instead to get rid of his 4/4. Opp responded by playing that 5/7 with charge and hitting face. I don't remember the two cards discarded but I think I would have survived.

Wth.. its the most stupid BM ever then

Keasar

A paladin complaining about board clears? Dude, you have Pyromancer, Equality and Consecration. Druids, Rogues, and Priests would KILL to have the clears you have.

What Paladin deck are you playing? Because unless you're playing Wild, Paladin is not a competitive class. While they have some of the best cards in the game, this meta is all about 1 drops and 2 drops and Paladin lost all of their early game in the shift to the Standard format.

I'm playing a deck sorta inspired by Trumps (the youtube dude, not the orange with a wig) The Long Game deck, trying to get out small creatures that delays the opponent followed by summoning the heavy hitters. I have some tricks like divine shields etc. but I just ran into a mage who "just" happened to have some card that ate all my shields and then got a huge buff from every shield eaten.

squidyj

Playing the Korkron you're dead to charge or soulfire, usually what? 2-3 cards in the deck?

playing the taunt you're dead to soulfire, leeroy, or doomguard + abusive. All it really means is having the doomguard doesn't win for him. So there's one potential card that is no longer lethal. Probably not worth it unless you can read that his card is exactly doomguard. Korkron also sets you up for future turns better and gives you a path to maybe win the game by dropping a taunt that contests his likely weaker followup minions

Sometimes people get very results oriented when analyzing their play "oh he had card x and if I had made play Y I would have won" which is a mistake. Your decisions should be evaluated on the information you had at the time ("is there any way I could have known he had a doomguard?") and the odds that play gives you of winning generally speaking.

I think korkron was the right play there. You were just unfortunate that he had the one card that was better against kor'kron than bloodhoof.

Dahbomb

Rank 5 this month took longer than normal because I got stuck at final boss rank 5 7 times in a row.

Tempo Warrior got to rank 6 with the greatest of ease but then Hunter closed it out because I had its quest. Once I got to the final star I was like "might as well finish it" but man that last star took a couple of hours alone lol...

fertygo

N'zoth Pally BM'ing me after Harrison'd my war axe, he didn't know at this deck I put weird thing like Inner Rage, proceed to goes lethal with Grom and another War Axe that I holding.

Astounding!
Rank 5 this month took longer than normal because I got stuck at final boss rank 5 7 times in a row.

Tempo Warrior got to rank 6 with the greatest of ease but then Hunter closed it out because I had its quest. Once I got to the final star I was like "might as well finish it" but man that last star took a couple of hours alone lol...

Yeah same this month is hard, mostly because its rock-paper-scrissor more than ever, god help you if matchmaking keep pair you with worst matchup, tier 1 deck these day have awful matchup that almost guarantee lose.

Raxus

I jinxed it!

scarlet

Losing a lot today, Down to 15th.

Played against someone with the same cheap OTK warrior deck, but he didn't know i modified mine a lil bit so I can get 30 damage with 6/7 mana

Keasar

7 losses in a row, this game does awesome for my confidence.

For some reason, people hail Blizzard as makers of some of the most accessible and easy to play games in the world but they are the most shattering to my psyche of them all.

Dahbomb

N'zoth Pally BM'ing me after Harrison'd my war axe, he didn't know at this deck I put weird thing like Inner Rage, proceed to goes lethal with Grom and another War Axe that I holding.

Astounding!

Yeah same this month is hard, mostly because its rock-paper-scrissor more than ever, god help you if matchmaking keep pair you with worst matchup, tier 1 deck these day have awful matchup that almost guarantee lose.
Nah Tempo Warrior, Shaman and Midrange Hunter have among the most stable match ups in the game.

Like their worst match up are like 4-6.

With Tempo Warrior it pretty much came down to if I got Fiery Axe in opening hand or not.

zoukka

7 losses in a row, this game does awesome for my confidence.

For some reason, people hail Blizzard as makers of some of the most accessible and easy to play games in the world but they are the most shattering to my psyche of them all.

PvP games might not be your thing.

Gonna stop at 13 for the month.

Was on a role Sunday, went from 18 to 15 and then Monday went from 15-13, but couldn't break that 13 barrier.

Lost twice to my exact deck, they just curved out better. Decided to play more DOOM instead.

I know it's more or less RPS with Zoolock, Aggro Shaman, Midrange Hunter, and Control Warrior, and I have two of those decks so I could do it if I really wanted to.

But I don't.

May do an arena run or two to finish out the month, though.

Keasar

PvP games might not be your thing.

That is the thing, I play them regularly and I love multiplayer games like fighting, strategy, MOBAs, FPS games, etc. etc. In those I have almost no qualms or problems when loosing, but those are games where each match starts on equal terms.

In Hearthstone it feels like I have no real control of the situation. My randomly selected opponent draws random cards out of a random deck which all have random effects at times. If you have money you can probably edge your deck towards the winning side a bit by buying a couple hundred boosters, get the cards you need or be able to disenchant a few thousand cards you don't need to buy the specific cards you do want for that meta optimised deck.

It's not like a fighting game where you adapt your fighting style with a character depending on the opponents selection of a fighter, where you know "This character can do this and that, this is how I need to fight now to win". Here you are absolutely fucked if you haven't built your deck either with the most overpowered meta or don't have somehow extraordinary abilities of clairvoyance to know what you need to counter with your deck to have it ready before you click that search button. Unlike a fighting game I can't see what deck my opponent has selected, what cards he has, what I can do with my deck to counter his potentials, all I can do is play my cards and pray shit goes in my favour.

So you can tell me to "git gud" once I hear you "got gud" at a slot machine. Cause that is what playing this game feels like.

So you can tell me to "git gud" once I hear you "got gud" at a slot machine. Cause that is what playing this game feels like.

Have you tried Arena? It's a bit more "fair" in the sense that it's even more random what deck you get, so less chance of meta decks coming into play.

But, I agree with you on a lot of points. I just play HS since I don't have a team to get mad at when they don't play well, unlike Overwatch or Dota 2.

wiibomb

That is the thing, I play them regularly and I love multiplayer games like fighting, strategy, MOBAs, FPS games, etc. etc. In those I have almost no qualms or problems when loosing, but those are games where each match starts on equal terms.

In Hearthstone it feels like I have no real control of the situation. My randomly selected opponent draws random cards out of a random deck which all have random effects at times. If you have money you can probably edge your deck towards the winning side a bit by buying a couple hundred boosters, get the cards you need or be able to disenchant a few thousand cards you don't need to buy the specific cards you do want for that meta optimised deck.

It's not like a fighting game where you adapt your fighting style with a character depending on the opponents selection of a fighter, where you know "This character can do this and that, this is how I need to fight now to win". Here you are absolutely fucked if you haven't built your deck either with the most overpowered meta or don't have somehow extraordinary abilities of clairvoyance to know what you need to counter with your deck to have it ready before you click that search button. Unlike a fighting game I can't see what deck my opponent has selected, what cards he has, what I can do with my deck to counter his potentials, all I can do is play my cards and pray shit goes in my favour.

welcome to trading card games..

it sounds like you never played them. If you have a good deck, one that can adapt to what the opponent might send you, then the RNG odds are not really that relevant, because you will have something to answer the opponent.

This is no fighting game, a fighting game depends on how quickly you react with you buttons, it is action, here it is strategy, it doesn't matter if you don't press a single button until the last seconds of your turn, because as long as you think your best action to make the best trades, then you will win.

The difference here is that you are thinking about another different world in competitive games. In TCGs you only have your mind to win, and trust me, I played more than a month with only basic cards: if you think about your turns wisely, you will wreak havoc in the opponent, even if it has more legendaries than you and even when you don't win, you would have make at least a good match.

In TCG if you know what your opponent might be playing, you have a good edge. A common example: all mages run Flamestrikes, all good warriors run Fiery War(Win) Axe, all paladins run consecration, all priests run Northshire Cleric.

Examples like that.

Levi

Banned
Unlike a fighting game I can't see what deck my opponent has selected, what cards he has, what I can do with my deck to counter his potentials, all I can do is play my cards and pray shit goes in my favour.

That's a cop out. If all you're doing is playing out your hand with no regard for what your opponent wants to do, of course you're going to lose. We're in a stable meta. Once you see the first few turns, you should be able to figure out what your opponent's game plan is and, minus tech choices, what cards are in their deck. You're clearly not even trying to get a read on what might be in an opponent's hand or doing any sort of counter-play at all.

The parts of the game that take skill are the parts of the game where you're not investing any thought to... so of course you're going to feel like the game is a slot machine.

Keasar

That's a cop out. If all you're doing is playing out your hand with no regard for what your opponent wants to do, of course you're going to lose. We're in a stable meta. Once you see the first few turns, you should be able to figure out what your opponent's game plan is and, minus tech choices, what cards are in their deck. You're clearly not even trying to get a read on what might be in an opponent's hand or doing any sort of counter-play at all.

The parts of the game that take skill are the parts of the game where you're not investing any thought to... so of course you're going to feel like the game is a slot machine.

I am definitely not just throwing cards on the table and hoping for the best if that is your impression. However, without prior knowledge to what my opponents deck contains there is no conceivable way I can prepare for every outcome with only 30 cards, 3-4 of which are randomly on my hand at the start.

So if I play a Paladin deck, what can I possibly do against a Mage? I throw out smaller minions, she blasts them all with 1-2 damage spells that targets everything. I throw out larger minions. She kills them using big hard hitting spells or freezes. I throw out a mixed group, transmogrify-whatevs on the big ones and more spells that kills everything. I put shields on my minions, she JUST happens to have a card that absorbs all divine shields specifically and buffs it to a 9/9, how can I possibly be ready for something like that!? Out of 9 different classes, a billion different combinations of decks, there is no way I can prepare for shit like that. My strongest spell card at that point does 3 direct damage to a single target, where summoning minions, trying to protect them to live for just one round just gets them murder fucked instantly.

Tacitus_

I am definitely not just throwing cards on the table and hoping for the best if that is your impression. However, without prior knowledge to what my opponents deck contains there is no conceivable way I can prepare for every outcome with only 30 cards, 3-4 of which are randomly on my hand at the start.

So if I play a Paladin deck, what can I possibly do against a Mage? I throw out smaller minions, she blasts them all with 1-2 damage spells that targets everything. I throw out larger minions. She kills them using big hard hitting spells or freezes. I throw out a mixed group, transmogrify-whatevs on the big ones and more spells that kills everything. I put shields on my minions, she JUST happens to have a card that absorbs all divine shields specifically and buffs it to a 9/9, how can I possibly be ready for something like that!? Out of 9 different classes, a billion different combinations of decks, there is no way I can prepare for shit like that. My strongest spell card at that point does 3 direct damage to a single target, where summoning minions, trying to protect them to live for just one round just gets them murder fucked instantly.

You can't anticipate the Blood Knight eating your bubbles, it's too rare for it. Just try to mulligan for your decks early game cards and how to leverage them the best.

Played against a C'thun Warrior who used Finley on Turn 2 for the Mage hero power.

You think he's running out of cards and then he plays Acolyte, pings it himself, and plays Ravaging Ghoul.

I must admit Hearthstone is the one game where I regret spending real money on it. Luckily I've got a few gold saved up so if a new adventure comes out I can get a piece of it right away, but like hell will I ever spend a single real world £.

Even when I win games, it just never seems fun anymore. It's just "same shit, different day". The first week or so of a new expansion is the only time it ever gets interesting.

Interfectum

You just keep playing and learn trends. If you are playing ranked you'll eventually see a pattern and be able to anticipate cards. For example, if you know they have board clears try not to put yourself in a position where them clearing your board is 'gg.' I was doing this and losing every time until I took a different tactic.

Honestly, you aren't going to get any better if you go in with the attitude the the whole game is a slot machine. RNG plays a huge role but it's certainly not everything.

Interfectum

Mind sharing your list? Totem Shaman is pretty optimized at this point, you may not be playing the best version.

If you're scared of brawl you're playing wrong. Don't over commit; keep some resources in hand. Most totem shamans I brawl are able to refill the board within a turn or two.

I'm doing the Totemcarver build. And yeah, I was over committing on brawl. The last two warrior decks I faced I tricked them into brawl by overpowering a few specific cards to the point where he had to clear them. Got to rank 10 now, almost rank 9. :eek:

Biggest issue I have are c'thun priests. It feels like if I don't get lucky on mulligan or play my cards right by turn 5 I'm fucked. Any tips on Totem Shaman vs cthun priests? I try clearing their board but it seems like I'm just eating their minions until they slam down cthun and it's over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom