• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I am definitely not just throwing cards on the table and hoping for the best if that is your impression. However, without prior knowledge to what my opponents deck contains there is no conceivable way I can prepare for every outcome with only 30 cards, 3-4 of which are randomly on my hand at the start.

So if I play a Paladin deck, what can I possibly do against a Mage? I throw out smaller minions, she blasts them all with 1-2 damage spells that targets everything. I throw out larger minions. She kills them using big hard hitting spells or freezes. I throw out a mixed group, transmogrify-whatevs on the big ones and more spells that kills everything. I put shields on my minions, she JUST happens to have a card that absorbs all divine shields specifically and buffs it to a 9/9, how can I possibly be ready for something like that!? Out of 9 different classes, a billion different combinations of decks, there is no way I can prepare for shit like that. My strongest spell card at that point does 3 direct damage to a single target, where summoning minions, trying to protect them to live for just one round just gets them murder fucked instantly.
It's true that card games are inherently pretty random, in that you could have answers to everything in your deck but the problem being you have to draw them. What you need to do is apply some deductive reasoning using the information you're given. If you're playing a mage you know they're immediately locked into mage class specific and neutral cards and you know what the hero power is capable of. Next would being figuring on what type of class deck they have. Freeze mage typically has some different cards from a tempo mage, from there you can assume what the rest of their deck generally looks like based off that. Then you can count cards and stuff both from your deck and your opponent's, play around their stuff based on what you think they have etc etc.

I feel like most skill in card games comes from background information so just play a lot

That's not to say there's no dumbass luck RNG in the game but you can do basic card game things to at least try to mitigate it

I'm doing the Totemcarver build. And yeah, I was over committing on brawl. The last two warrior decks I faced I tricked them into brawl by overpowering a few specific cards to the point where he had to clear them. Got to rank 10 now, almost rank 9. :eek:

Biggest issue I have are c'thun priests. It feels like if I don't get lucky on mulligan or play my cards right by turn 5 I'm fucked. Any tips on Totem Shaman vs cthun priests? I try clearing their board but it seems like I'm just eating their minions until they slam down cthun and it's over.

have a way to deal with cthun that doesn't kill it.

Tacitus_

You just keep playing and learn trends. If you are playing ranked you'll eventually see a pattern and be able to anticipate cards. For example, if you know they have board clears try not to put yourself in a position where them clearing your board is 'gg.' I was doing this and losing every time until I took a different tactic.

Honestly, you aren't going to get any better if you go in with the attitude the the whole game is a slot machine. RNG plays a huge role but it's certainly not everything.

Unless the matchup is so poor that you will need to force them to either have the wipe or die.

Levi

Banned
There's a good CW guide on Reddit today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveHS/comments/4qairm/the_ultimate_guide_to_control_warrior_by/

Seems good! The CW variant I have the most experience with (fatigue warrior) is pretty dead in this meta, so I'm happy to see this to kind of guide to get my brain recalibrated, especially after spending so much time playing Tempo Warrior and C'thun Warrior.

Trump also recently released a video guide to "control" warrior, although he's focusing on C'Thun Warrior which I think is pretty distinct from traditional CW:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAbCWJkcVI

The C'thun decks just come off better than Control Warrior for me at the moment.

I'm on some crazy streak with C'thun after I ditched the Sjow build. I tossed Sylvanas and Elise and put in Doomcaller and Revenge and its been incredibly. Revenge just has too many things you can do and now I don't have to stupid tension of trying to figure out when I should play C'thun vs. gambling on Elise hopefully giving me a good draw. If you include twin emp/doom/2 shieldmaidens/2 cthuns there is no way that the other guy can have that much removal while also laying down enough damage to deal with +30 armor from 2 shieldmaidns+bran + justicar gain.

Really really a solid deck. I'm on a 14-1 run from rank 17->13 at the moment (or something like that)

Seems good! The CW variant I have the most experience with (fatigue warrior) is pretty dead in this meta, so I'm happy to see this to kind of guide to get my brain recalibrated, especially after spending so much time playing Tempo Warrior and C'thun Warrior.

Sweet!

I WILL NOT ANSWER ANY BUDGET REPLACEMENT QUESTIONS FOR ANY CARDS MENTIONED IN THIS GUIDE, CONTROL WARRIOR IS AN EXPENSIVE DECK, DON'T PLAY IT IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT

Mmkay...

The C'thun decks just come off better than Control Warrior for me at the moment.

Really really a solid deck. I'm on a 14-1 run from rank 17->13 at the moment (or something like that)

What's your C'Thun Warrior look like? I just got Doomcaller so I'm thinking of dusting my old C'Thun Warrior off again since I can't afford the other variants.

And I met a priest who got a 14/14 Northshire whatever Priest on the fourth turn....

Even Buff Priest gets lucky once in a while. It's probably a lot better now that Owl got nerfed, but I still wouldn't run it. There are too many removals that trivialize even the biggest minion that you make and stacking all of your cards up on one minion like that is putting all of your eggs in one basket.

As midrange Hunter vs. Warrior, it's turn 3. Opponent has coin.

I have Knife Juggler out.

He has Doomsayer.

I have Deadly Shot in hand.

Two options:

1. Face, hero power, let him play (Acolyte most likely) on an empty board.
2. Deadly Shot.

What would you do.

wiibomb

He has Doomsayer.

Two options:

2. Deadly Shot.

What would you do.

you lose in either case..

the tempo would either kill your turn or burn your cards..

I would totally hit face and save cards, because the warrior clearly wants to save the turn and you should save the cards for whatever he wants.

He is trying to delay your damage as a hunter for his tempo

Levi

Banned

He has Doomsayer.

Two options:

2. Deadly Shot.

What would you do.

I wouldn't waste a Deadly Shot on a Warrior's two drop to save my Knife Juggler, no. You'll want that for Ragnaros or Ysera or C'thun later in the game. I think your first line of play there would be correct.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I have come to a decision, and that decision is that Arena is bullshit and I shall be ignoring it from now on.

Thankfully I got to 5 already, on rank 6 right now doing the last star games.

1st try turn 1 secret keeper making all my secrets dead in hand 2nd try my KJ hit nothing of value while his KJ cleared exactly my board... and he curved out for 30 damage before I could even play my Sludge Belcher on curve

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What's a cheap wild deck for someone with zero wild cards?

Preferably not just playing a standard deck in wild.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just beat a hunter with my Yogg mage on turn 10 who played both Savannah highmanes and both call of the Wild. Feels good.

Tomcat

Another day another awful video from kripp lol with a great clickbait title too.

Best arena deck he played against

Spoilers

It was Against a paladin that he won easily while he had 2 piloted shredder 2 gorilla bots sap tomb pillager eviscerate iron sensai and god knows what else. As for the paladin had two weapons and two legendaries. His commons were mostly crap.

you lose in either case..

the tempo would either kill your turn or burn your cards..

I would totally hit face and save cards, because the warrior clearly wants to save the turn and you should save the cards for whatever he wants.

He is trying to delay your damage as a hunter for his tempo

I wouldn't waste a Deadly Shot on a Warrior's two drop to save my Knife Juggler, no. You'll want that for Ragnaros or Ysera or C'thun later in the game. I think your first line of play there would be correct.

if its Toad or Eleek I'd burn Deadly shot I think

if its KJ yeah I'd go face

I have a lot to learn. I used Deadly Shot.

bord

Neo Member
Well I just lost to standard zoolock on turn 5 at rank 6

I managed to get a turn 5 lethal a few weeks ago with Tempo Warrior

kHtrv0r.png

I think I've had a turn 4 lethal once before but no screenshot, unfortunately.

God damn, finally rank 5. Two Secret Paladin final boss losses in a row, and then a (I think) Tempo Mage that just didn't draw anything playable for the one I finally won.

Decks I played to climb the ranks:
Midrange Hunter
Aggro Shaman
Freeze Mage

Of the 3, Aggro Shaman is definitely the strongest. Freeze Mage pretty much auto-loses to Priests now, so you have to hope for the few good matchups left.

face hunter or some sort of zoo would work
Face Hunter is even weaker in Wild than it is in Standard, since it has to deal with Chow and Sludge Belcher on top of the Face Hunter nerfs. I haven't seen one in the few weeks I've been playing Standard. Face Warrior and Face Shaman are still here, though.

God damn, finally rank 5. Two Secret Paladin final boss losses in a row, and then a (I think) Tempo Mage that just didn't draw anything playable for the one I finally won.

Decks I played to climb the ranks:
Midrange Hunter
Aggro Shaman
Freeze Mage

Of the 3, Aggro Shaman is definitely the strongest. Freeze Mage pretty much auto-loses to Priests now, so you have to hope for the few good matchups left.

Face Hunter is even weaker in Wild than it is in Standard, since it has to deal with Chow and Sludge Belcher on top of the Face Hunter nerfs. I haven't seen one in the few weeks I've been playing Standard. Face Warrior and Face Shaman are still here, though.

for a guy that has no epics shaman isn't all that great. Pirate warrior is probably better than face hunter though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom