• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, can someone tell me why I need to have an internet connection to play the Solo Adventures?

Was hoping to bang out the Heroic wings while at work since I work in a field office, but c'mon. Losing a game against the CPU because it lost internet connection is a bit BS.

Also don't tell me it's for security / hacking reasons cause we already have Disguised Toast.

You have to connect to their servers because the AI is so advanced that even the best computers couldn't handle it.
/s

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Also, can someone tell me why I need to have an internet connection to play the Solo Adventures?

Was hoping to bang out the Heroic wings while at work since I work in a field office, but c'mon. Losing a game against the CPU because it lost internet connection is a bit BS.

Also don't tell me it's for security / hacking reasons cause we already have Disguised Toast.

My guess is a lot of stuff is calculated server side for multiplayer purposes, like deck order and other RNG effects, and they don't feel like rebuilding all that for single player.

Levi

Banned
Trying out the new Upload Replay functionality for HDT, check this out:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/6WK6o7B78nmvrjt9YWbQWM

Misplayed early by not clearing an Alexstraza's chamption when I could have and then I missed lethal because I didn't have faith that Firelands Portal was going to give me a charger, but I ended up getting an even better lethal a couple turns later.

Misplayed early by not clearing an Alexstraza's chamption when I could have and then I missed lethal because I didn't have faith that Firelands Portal was going to give me a charger, but I ended up getting an even better lethal a couple turns later.

How do you do this?

edit:
I think I figured it out, gotta download the beta version

If Solo Adventures weren't tied to anything online, I guess it could be played offline. But you can win cards, you can buy wings, and earn quest progression/gold (Total Domination) while in solo, so you'll need a server connection for that.

Just go to Hsreplay.net, download the beta version of HDT and go. Super easy.

I linked the wrong account, then deleted it off the site, but the client still thinks the account exists and can't be claimed again hmm

edit:

Well, at least I got it sorta linked. Here is one I found kinda funny.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/yuDJ2B7GNQDVyVpwiJurtE

there were 2 consecrations and 2 argent horseriders so a pretty high chance of top decking lethal over the 3 draws so I went for it... control paladin face smash

edit:

This is pretty great...

control paladin vs dragon warrior
https://hsreplay.net/replay/ag63uZS3BAExTK7J7fvVne

Control paladin vs Cthun Warrior (it's on the longer side but I was pretty damn happy when I managed to win a control match vs cthun warrior which has been typically pretty hard in the recent past)
https://hsreplay.net/replay/K9fbCaC4SM9aFddJoGftce

That's how you beat Reno, force them to have it. Well played.

Edit:

That Dragon warriors play vs Sylvanas... Wow.

I know right... the last thing I expected him to do was stack the board with a 9/9. I guess he was really banking on it stealing the 2/2.

I think sometimes people's draw order just puts them on tilt, they feel like they can't win unless they take the big risks. Maybe that was true in this situation, I don't usually lose to dragon warriors that have such a slow start. But that play was off.

If Solo Adventures weren't tied to anything online, I guess it could be played offline. But you can win cards, you can buy wings, and earn quest progression/gold (Total Domination) while in solo, so you'll need a server connection for that.

Good points all. Just a bit salty I can't grind out the RNG parts of heroic while on breaks.

psyfi

Banned
Just started playing this last night and I fuggin love it. I've beat three heroes in practice mode so far, gonna try tweaking my deck for the first time when I play more tonight.

Is the next wing coming out tomorrow? I can't remember when they release wings.

Thursday if they are going every 7 days, which they likely are.

I am most looking forward to barnes this week. Time to dust off ye old malygos decks. And barnes will probably slot into my paladin deck cause pulling a sylvanas, tirion, or ragnaros is game winning.

Levi

Banned
https://hsreplay.net/replay/BqPB23suNA5dGFZUrsPVbe

I did this poor C'thun Druid dirty.

My turn 8 to remove his Twin Emperors... absolutely disgusting.
(Other than Doomguard or Leeroy, I got the best possible minion from my Firelands Portal in that situation)

14-9 with the current iteration of my tempo mage deck. 61% win rate and since I started playing Mage on Saturday I've climbed from rank 18 to 10. I took a break and played some Paladin in the middle, but most of my stars have been from Mage.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also really interested to see if Arcane Giant is any good this week. Most Yogg style decks will easily make him a 0 mana card around turn 15. Could maybe even taunt them up classic handlock style.

Possibly fits in Yogg 'n Load pretty well for tempo plays, Yogg Mage for getting him low cost super fast, or something like Crusher shaman for easy taunting. Lots of potential there.

patchday

will watch when I get home. Been running HST lately. It's amazing

Has anyone tried working Protect the King into a Murloc Paladin / Aggro Paladin deck?

I'm wondering if it works with Steward of Darkshire...

If I could include a Warrior card in a Paladin deck, it would probably be Fiery War Axe.

I'm also really interested to see if Arcane Giant is any good this week. Most Yogg style decks will easily make him a 0 mana card around turn 15. Could maybe even taunt them up classic handlock style.

Possibly fits in Yogg 'n Load pretty well for tempo plays, Yogg Mage for getting him low cost super fast, or something like Crusher shaman for easy taunting. Lots of potential there.

I think it could work in Mircale Rogue. It would work like Van Cleef, except instead of building a huge minion based on the cards played that turn, you would be reducing the cost of a giant with every spell you play. You could probably get a free Giant out by turn 7 with a good Auctioneer turn.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I wonder if it would be good in a patron/otk deck as a one of. Could be an additional win condition but would really suck to get early. Cheapest he would reasonably get late game is 2-4.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
If I could include a Warrior card in a Paladin deck, it would probably be Fiery War Axe.

I think it could work in Mircale Rogue. It would work like Van Cleef, except instead of building a huge minion based on the cards played that turn, you would be reducing the cost of a giant with every spell you play. You could probably get a free Giant out by turn 7 with a good Auctioneer turn.
That's a really good idea. Even something like playing two of them or one with a big vancleef into conceal might be game winning without even needing Auctioneer. Occasionally that's already a winning move with vancleef by himself.

Arcane giant might work in miracle rogue, but I don't think it's going to be played over other miracle rogue decks. Van cleef is very superior in the deck style of miracle rogue, because you can get it to work as early as turn 2 sometimes. I've gotten turn 2 10/10 van cleef before. I don't think miracle can just slot it in, they'd have to cut other more important pieces out and thus weaken the deck's consistency or win condition and maybe both. A 0 mana arcane giant sounds great, but when you're trying to win late game by hitting them in the face with cold blooded chargers, it might set back your lethal by a turn or two.

I think it has more promise in a yogg rogue deck, perhaps.

Levi

Banned
Hey guys... Are there other card backs in this game besides the legend one? Cause that's the only one my opponents are running.

Not that I'm not winning but JFC

That's a really good idea. Even something like playing two of them or one with a big vancleef into conceal might be game winning without even needing Auctioneer. Occasionally that's already a winning move with vancleef by himself.

I think you still need Auctioneers so that you can draw your deck and keep throwing out spells. You can't have too many minions in that kind of deck so that it doesn't screw up your ability to cycle your deck while Auctioneer is out. I'd either run 2 Giants or 1 Van Cleef and 1 Giant.

manhack

Hey guys... Are there other card backs in this game besides the legend one? Cause that's the only one my opponents are running.

Not that I'm not winning but JFC

It's funny I stopped running my Legend cardback to cut down on BM and angry friend requests. I still get a ton of BM and I mostly think it is due to me having golden heroes.

I think I've used the legend card back once. And every once in a while I look at my card back and remember it's not the one I want to run. And then I forget to change it. Because it's not really something I care about. I ran the classic card back for like a year after they introduced card backs.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Legend cardback is so silly. It really only shows that you have lots of time to dedicate to the game in a specific month. And if we are being serious, it is one of the ugliest cardbacks they've made. Most of the monthy ones are better looking and I'd say anything with an animation is already miles better.

Power Rank for cardbacks (ignoring BM potential for which Legend wins hands down):
Heroic LoE
Power Core
Legacy of the Void
Halloween from a couple years ago with that pumpkin
Pretty much everything animated
Fireside Gathering
Everything else not animated
Legend
Basic Cardback

Tarazet

Legend cardback is so silly. It really only shows that you have lots of time to dedicate to the game in a specific month. And if we are being serious, it is one of the ugliest cardbacks they've made. Most of the monthy ones are better looking and I'd say anything with an animation is already miles better.

Power Rank for cardbacks (ignoring BM potential for which Legend wins hands down):
Heroic LoE
Power Core
Legacy of the Void
Fireside Gathering
Legend
Basic Cardback

I like the Pandaria cardback because it shows that you've played since the first month of Ranked. Not common to have it.

Heroic LoE
Power Core
Legacy of the Void
Fireside Gathering
Legend
Basic Cardback

If we're being honest, it goes:
Gold celebration
Legend
Everything else

Dahbomb

Have the new cards affected the meta/ladder much?
Not really, it's mostly still the same game. You see the occasional Arcane Anomaly and Firelands Portal in Tempo Mage. You see the occasional Secret Hunter deck. Sometimes you see a Divine Shield Aggro Paladin with Moroes and then sometimes you see the Bolster Warrior decks.

Still feels like people are experimenting and then people will go back to the core decks. The same types of decks that were strong/weak before and still the same. Secret Hunter got the biggest buff for sure.

Levi

Banned
When I see a mediocre player at rank 10 mid month running the legend cardback, I think "Secret Paladin or Undertaker Hunter", and I take special pleasure in beating them.

Dahbomb

What's the best way to use Forbidden Flame?
With spell damage or Flamewaker on board as a removal. Otherwise using at as a removal when you are ahead on board or if you desperately need to kill a minion.

And of course always use the card after you have made the rest of your plays for the turn, don't want to overkill with it.

psyfi

Banned
I fucking love this game.

I beat all the heroes in practice mode. The first three were a little rough, each of them beat me on the first go. But it was smooth sailing after that. Then I went into unranked play mode and destroyed my first opponent, got wiped by the second, and then lost (?) in match where the opponent killed their self too (are there not ties in this?).

This is the first time I've ever really gotten into a deck building game and I'm so hooked. And so far it looks like I can have fun without spending money on card packs, which I appreciate. I'll probably do it eventually just because the game is so rad, but it's nice to know I don't have to. I'm pretty overwhelmed by curating my deck, though. I'm just kind of hoping for the best and not worrying too much, haha.

Also, why isn't this game on consoles or handhelds? Does Blizz not want to put it on a closed platform?

Also, why isn't this game on consoles or handhelds? Does Blizz not want to put it on a closed platform?

It's available for iOS and Android devices.

One of Hearthstone's strengths is that your cards carry over across devices (though sadly not regions, at least IMO), so mobile players can play PC players and such. I don't think that would happen with consoles. The thought of rebuilding my collection just to play on PlayStation is....unappealling.

The game actually works pretty well with the Steam Controller if you want a pad. When I had a shoulder injury that was how I played and it worked fine.

greepoman

I fucking love this game.

This is the first time I've ever really gotten into a deck building game and I'm so hooked.

Don't worry in a couple months the salt will flow and you'll be wondering how you spent hundreds of dollars on wizard poker. Just don't go full Yoshichan.

Dahbomb

With Blizzard loving to put out blatant power creep cards over basic cards, I thought I would reduce Blizzard's work and put out a few power creeped cards for them (only over basic set which has been the pattern):

King of the Arena: 5 mana 6/5 Taunt. A whooping one mana upgrade over Lord of the Arena which sees no play. An aggressive large sized taunt in line with Pompous Thespian and Evil Heckler. Would probably not be game breaking but is actually usable because 5 mana drops are so bad.

Good Heckler: 3 mana 4/3 Taunt. This isn't technically a power creep over any existing card but it's a card that Blizzard will eventually print. This is still not that great of a card because 3 HP means it dies to 2 drops and even some 1 drops.

Priest of Elune: 5 mana 5/4 Heal your hero for 4 HP. Priests of Elune sucks at 6 mana, at 5 mana it's still a worse Darkshire Alchemist but at least decks like Renolock can make use of it. Hell you can probably even bump the HP heal to 5 and it would still not be that great of a card. Especially when Dark scale Healer also exists.

Karazhan Mage: 3 mana 2/4 Spell damage. Dalaran Mage sucks though it used to be good at one time (when it has better stats) when spells used to be better for Druids and Mage, not so much anymore. This is probably an acceptable stat line for a neutral spell damage minion.

Goldenback Patriarch: 3 mana 1/5 taunt Beast. I could've made a 2/4 Taunt Beast but that would've power creeped over Slither Swarmer as well so I think this is more acceptable. 1/5 Taunt Beast is still pretty bad but mathematically it is still an acceptable card unlike Silverback Patriach.

Stormwind Rifleman: 3 mana 3/2 Battlecry: Deal 1 damage. Ironforge Rifleman is another hilariously bad card. These new stats make way more sense especially when compared to Elven Archer and Stormpike Commando.

War Titan: 7 mana 7/8. The Yeti of the 7 drop, enough said. War Golem just looks sad as a 7 mana 7/7 that does nothing... it was meme worthy bad.

Twilight Farseer: 3 mana 2/4 Windfury. A 3 mana 3/3 Windfury would've been power creep over Dragonhawk (a TGT card) so a 2/4 with Windfury is more interesting and less degenerate. 3 mana 2/3 Windfury was laughably bad though. I think this is not actually a basic card but man they should really power creep this card because it's just sad..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom