• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

Reynad was right in a recent video. Said competitive HS is a joke and will be unless tournaments start outright banning out cards like Yogg and Barnes (those are two he specifically said he would ban).

Surprisingly, I haven't heard serious talks about banning out cards since Tinkmaster and Nat Pagle.
playing a card which might win you the entire game at turn 10 even though you were losing since turn 1 and you have 2 HP left vs the 30 of your opponent? DEFINITELY fun and interactive.
I honestly can see why some people feel that way and want specific cards banned, can't really blame them.

squidyj

Has anyone ever gotten a random post match friend request in this game that is actually nice? I am 3 for 3 this week on a string of insults and probably 10+ over the course of the summer. To be clear, I dont really mind the insults, and I am usually accepting the request almost solely to see what horrible thing they have to say to me.

I feel like there is a less that 0.0001% chance that someone will be cordial and say; "Cool game, lets do a 80 Coin Battle someday"

One of these recent requests came after I lost a game that went into fatigue with both us on low HP. Apparently I "should have conceded 10 ******* turns ago, you ******" according the the message. I can see someone's seeing red mist upon a loss and lashing out, but I have no idea how some people play in seemingly a constant state of anger.

I had one dude ask me what secret I had up after he beat me because he played around ice barrier in a clever way.

Nordicus

Has anyone ever gotten a random post match friend request in this game that is actually nice? I am 3 for 3 this week on a string of insults and probably 10+ over the course of the summer. To be clear, I dont really mind the insults, and I am usually accepting the request almost solely to see what horrible thing they have to say to me.

I feel like there is a less that 0.0001% chance that someone will be cordial and say; "Cool game, lets do a 80 Coin Battle someday"
Don't think I've ever actually received a genuine friend request, only sent them based on people either playing really funny decks or emoting "Well Played" when I actually did an obscure but effective play.

Had someone spam n bomb me once recently. Then last someone was nice about it but he was really just salty about losing and felt like I should have used my lethal card first so as to save a grand total of 10 seconds. I said sorry but idgaf about that. I'll do it every time against hunter lol

zoukka

Menagerie Warden, not as OP so far as people expected. Sure you get a 6 mana 10/10 stats sometimes on the board but face decks have killed you before you profit. Duplicating taunt is money, but almost impossible to pull off.

Still not convinced.

Pooya

almost all of my games today were decided by some kind of rng out of my control, in my favor or against. Tuskarr totemic pulling manatide gg,

-Barnes into highmane, gg ez

-resurrect hits blademaster 3 times when there were at least 4 other dudes that died that game.

-shaman getting freaking trogg from portal (I hate this card btw, who though giving shaman aggressive board clear is a good idea? Like how out of touch can you be?) and rolling spell power 1 in 4 for exact board wipe roll on storm.

-getting 2/4 from raptor.

-Rag hits, ez. It's so stupid, my double innervated rag hit perfectly 3 times against this renolock, like absolutely disgusting, best target every turn, it even sniped his rag (with facelees) when his failed and it eventually killed him too. like lolz.

-fireland portal into earth elemental, it's funny how many times I've seen this happening from all outcomes, like holy shit these random cost cards are terrible design.

- and of course yogg.

even in pre standard we didn't have THIS much variance, yeah there were shredder and boombots, jugglers, sometimes unstable portal. The whole game is a clown fiesta now in like every class with huge variance RNG. and all of these trash will be in the game for 2 years, the game is done for serious players if you ask me. HS can only decline at this point anyways.

Salex_

szeQhUp.jpg
-Maintained board control against zoolock for 9 turns
-1 turn away from a win
-Casual 18 damage from hand.
"outplayed"

almost all of my games today were decided by some kind of rng out of my control, in my favor or against. Tuskarr totemic pulling manatide gg,
[...]
even in pre standard we didn't have THIS much variance, yeah there were shredder and boombots, jugglers, sometimes unstable portal. The whole game is a clown fiesta now in like every class with huge variance RNG.
There's real people defending all of these terrible RNG design decisions on reddit. It blows my mind. Every time I see a tournament game being decided by a Knife Juggler, Tuskarr Totemic, or Yogg I ask myself why is there even a prize pool.

ViviOggi

playing a card which might win you the entire game at turn 10 even though you were losing since turn 1 and you have 2 HP left vs the 30 of your opponent? DEFINITELY fun and interactive.
I honestly can see why some people feel that way and want specific cards banned, can't really blame them.

-Barnes into highmane, gg ez

-resurrect hits blademaster 3 times when there were at least 4 other dudes that died that game.

-shaman getting freaking trogg from portal (I hate this card btw, who though giving shaman aggressive board clear is a good idea? Like how out of touch can you be?) and rolling spell power 1 in 4 for exact board wipe roll on storm.

-getting 2/4 from raptor.

-Rag hits, ez. It's so stupid, my double innervated rag hit perfectly 3 times against this renolock, like absolutely disgusting, best target every turn, it even sniped his rag (with facelees) when his failed and it eventually killed him too. like lolz.

-fireland portal into earth elemental, it's funny how many times I've seen this happening from all outcomes, like holy shit these random cost cards are terrible design.

- and of course yogg.

even in pre standard we didn't have THIS much variance, yeah there were shredder and boombots, jugglers, sometimes unstable portal. The whole game is a clown fiesta now in like every class with huge variance RNG. and all of these trash will be in the game for 2 years, the game is done for serious players if you ask me. HS can only decline at this point anyways.

-Maintained board control against zoolock for 9 turns
-1 turn away from a win
-Casual 18 damage from hand.
"outplayed"

There's real people defending all of these terrible RNG design decisions on reddit. It blows my mind. Every time I see a tournament game being decided by a Knife Juggler, Tuskarr Totemic, or Yogg I ask myself why is there even a prize pool.
Why y'all still playing this though

ZeroX03

Banned
It's pretty funny how 7 out of 9 classes got RNG cards from the set, and of the two who didn't you've got Warlock with a huge push toward discard strat which is RNG as fuck and Hunter got Barnes as a staple in plenty of decks.

Menagerie Warden, not as OP so far as people expected. Sure you get a 6 mana 10/10 stats sometimes on the board but face decks have killed you before you profit. Duplicating taunt is money, but almost impossible to pull off.

Still not convinced.

You need a beast on the field for it to be a bomb, and the only beast who can reliably stay alive is the Tiger*. Much easier to pull off than something like Huhuran, but at least Huhuran has a better body for the cost. It'd be a bad card if Tiger and Innervate weren't around.

*even then Brawl and Deadly Shot are a thing

jgminto

It's pretty funny how 7 out of 9 classes got RNG cards from the set, and of the two who didn't you've got Warlock with a huge push toward discard strat which is RNG as fuck and Hunter got Barnes as a staple in plenty of decks.
Silverware Golem is totally a RNG card.

NBtoaster

I think you can include Menagerie Warden and Stranglethorn into Token Druid without going full beast. You can give warden other targets like Druid of the Claw and Power of the Wild.

So how is Beast Druid performing on ladder? Is it competitive at high ranks?

I haven't played it yet but it is a deck you can see coming from a mile away and can plan accordingly. I also happen to be running a hybrid Nzoth hunter, so one game I back to back deadly shot the Tigers. It was obvious they were coming.

fertygo

I think you can include Menagerie Warden and Stranglethorn into Token Druid without going full beast. You can give warden other targets like Druid of the Claw and Power of the Wild.
Eh its pointless goose to chase for the deck.. run 2 arcane giant is more easy power turn to set than the warden combo

zoukka

But Warden is complete trash if you don't get to clone a big beast. That would just disrupt the Token build, since you need to cut 2 cards for Wardens.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Did we know that the Warden would copy the exact stats ala Faceless Manipulator? I'm pretty sure I saw a few reviews where the person would say the card wouldn't clone but rather spawn as a "fresh" card.

zoukka

Did we know that the Warden would copy the exact stats ala Faceless Manipulator? I'm pretty sure I saw a few reviews where the person would say the card wouldn't clone but rather spawn as a "fresh" card.

Yeah menagerie has the exact same wording as mirror entity.

Otnopolit

This is a based around a pretty well known Tempo Mage deck by Hotform. Apparently it's capable of hitting Legend, so I said, "Hey I got lots of Mage cards, love Mage, plenty of dust, let's make a variant!" I'm stuck at Rank 19. What's going wrong here?

In games, I'm definitely able to deal with threats instantly in the early game, but there are times where I get overwhelmed by a Druid or even a Hunter deck. Sealing the deal can also be hard and that's why C'thun has taken Yogg's place, since I do not have a Yogg and would have rather spent dust on the Arcane Blasts than Yogg.
gPMHpr.png

jgminto

This is a based around a pretty well known Tempo Mage deck by Hotform. Apparently it's capable of hitting Legend, so I said, "Hey I got lots of Mage cards, love Mage, plenty of dust, let's make a variant!" I'm stuck at Rank 19. What's going wrong here?
gPMHpr.png
The non-Sorcerer C'Thun cards don't fit a tempo mage deck and running stuff like Forgotten Torch/Cabalist's Tome that generate spells is only worthwhile if you're running Yogg. Then remove Anient Mage, put in extra copies of the single spells and add Flamewakers since they're the best spell synergy card in the game. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say Tempo Mage isn't worth playing without Flamewakers.

Otnopolit

Cthun in that deck does nothing it's going to be what an 8/8 or 9/9 on average.
A flame strike would probably help you more in those matchups than Cthun.

Good advice, several times on turn 7 I'd be saying to myself "Flamestrike is sorely missed right now..."

As for Flamewakers, I'm not excited about buying Blackrock Mountain for one card =/

This was my thought as well. But as someone else mentioned it is likely not worth cutting arcane giants for that. Beast Druid definitely needs better board presence and that's why I personally don't think playing that 1 mana 2/2 followed by give a beast 2/2 and draw is a better play than just playing a second Raven or another beast. So maybe that give a beast 2/2 is too slow of a card for beast Druid strangely enough and curator would be the better card draw with one or two azure drake. At least that way curator acts as a way to refill your hand after you dump minions on the board and you have more minions in your deck to play.

gutshot

Just Raven Idoled into a Hungry Crab to clear my opponent's Sir Finley. Then DotC 4/6 charged into his Azure Drake to clear his board. I feel dirty.

patchday

No yogg no party

I do not play (ranked) very much at all and even I can get to 16 at least with a tiny bit of effort. But I run Yogg on my mage. Even if Yogg kinda whiffs he will usually at least give me a useful secret. Last time he gave me ice barrier. My opponent had lethal but couldnt pull it off due to that. So next turn I was able to win

Notice all the crying and whinning bout Yogg? That's how you know its worth crafting lol

Granted, my Yogg came to me from opening up a card pack. I have yet to craft a Legendary. I just try to make good use of legendaries the game sees fit to give. I do craft epics tho

edit- Although I think a much better use of dust is to make midrange Hunter / Secret Hunter etc. You should be able to hit 15 at least (I was 15 last month)

Otnopolit

I do not play (ranked) very much at all and even I can get to 16 at least with a tiny bit of effort. But I run Yogg on my mage. Even if Yogg kinda whiffs he will usually at least give me a useful secret. Last time he gave me ice barrier. My opponent had lethal but couldnt pull it off due to that. So next turn I was able to win

Notice all the crying and whinning bout Yogg? That's how you know its worth crafting lol

Granted, my Yogg came to me from opening up a card pack. I have yet to craft a Legendary. I just try to make good use of legendaries the game sees fit to give. I do craft epics tho

edit- Although I think a much better use of dust is to make midrange Hunter / Secret Hunter etc. You should be able to hit 15 at least (I was 15 last month)

Thanks for the advice. I might just invest in some Whispers of the Old Gods packs and see what I can pull. I don't have Legendaries worth scrapping right now. I wish I got another Golden Hogger to dust...

Jrmint

Does anyone else feel like they lose every time they go against Tempo Mage, but every time you play it you get incredibly unlucky. It's really annoying because it's a fun deck.

Pooya

It's almost there is this new generation of players now they don't want to trade ever, ffs. It's just face face face.

I just pushed in 20 damage with a tomb pillager, because this dragon warrior didn't want to trade he's alex champ then Kor'Kron elite into it and went face instead, of course I just removed those with backstab and SI. In the end he slamed and executed it when he was at freaking 10. LOL. get rekt noob. When I started playing, back in vanilla, people were running Kor'Krons in control warrior to freaking trade. Now look where we are now. It's 4/3 dude, do you really expect that to live?

Everyone just wants to go face as fast as they can now, I kinda understand how this has happened. With all the BS RNG in the game now you just want to finish before any of that goes down. The game is in a really bad state, it might not be too blatant still but it's just going to go downhill. There is no sign that current trends are going to be reversed. They ruined the game.

Barnes gave him a Ragnaros.

I kill it and he uses Onyx Bishop and gets another one.

Next turn he uses Resurrect, now he has two...

The best game.

It's almost there is this new generation of players now they don't want to trade ever, ffs. It's just face face face.

I just pushed in 20 damage with a tomb pillager, because this dragon warrior didn't want to trade he's alex champ then Kor'Kron elite into it and went face instead, of course I just removed those with backstab and SI. In the end he slamed and executed it when he was at freaking 10. LOL. get rekt noob. When I started playing, back in vanilla, people were running Kor'Krons in control warrior to freaking trade. Now look where we are now. It's 4/3 dude, do you really expect that to live?

Everyone just wants to go face as fast as they can now, I kinda understand how this has happened. With all the BS RNG in the game now you just want to finish before any of that goes down. The game is in a really bad state, it might not be too blatant still but it's just going to go downhill. There is no sign that current trends are going to be reversed. They ruined the game.
It really frustrates me that trading is so often the wrong decision. Whoever gets a slight edge on the board first just wins the game because the opposing player can't out-face them, and you never really catch up either. :-/

tamminen

Ekop just uprooted an ancient of war against an Anyfin Paladin in the insomnia tournament.

Uproot or no balls Kappa

Man what the hell I hate Barnes. I clearly dont understand how it works or the gods of RNG have abandoned me. Tried it on multiple decks and he always gives me trash. I guess I shouldn't have trash on my deck. Todays Barnes play of the day goes to my opponent druid who went turn1 coin innervate Barnes -> Y'shargblaargh -> Deathwing. But no worries, mage is so ridiculously strong I won anyway.

I cant play the RNG heavy decks. Its so unsatisfying when you dont get the absolute best option possible out of all these RNG summons. So I went back to Paladin. My true love since always. Tons of heals, Nzoth whatever you name it, its just satisfaction all the way. The value, the sinergies its just all there.

Levi

Banned
All this salt in the thread today and I haven't even posted yet.

I'm not going to post salt today because I've given up on tryharding. I wasn't able to get 5 in the first three weeks of the month, I don't even want to try with only two full playing days left in the seaon. If I wanted to win, I'd be on tilt before I even log on today,

I have no idea what deck to even pilot, the meta is super unfavorable to my play style, I just don't feel like ranked is going to be anything but a shitshow for me.

My goal today is just to take each game one and a time and learn something new every game. If I can increase my win rate slightly going into next month I'll be a lot better positioned to make a run at the 5 and under ranks.

I got to 6 two seasons in a row, that's going to have to be good enough. If someone has something shitty to say about it, fine.

Damn I just got owned by evolve shaman, he evolved into 3 different amazing legendaries.

All this salt in the thread today and I haven't even posted yet.

I'm not going to post salt today because I've given up on tryharding. I wasn't able to get 5 in the first three weeks of the month, I don't even want to try with only two full playing days left in the seaon. If I wanted to win, I'd be on tilt before I even log on today,

I have no idea what deck to even pilot, the meta is super unfavorable to my play style, I just don't feel like ranked is going to be anything but a shitshow for me.

My goal today is just to take each game one and a time and learn something new every game. If I can increase my win rate slightly going into next month I'll be a lot better positioned to make a run at the 5 and under ranks.

I got to 6 two seasons in a row, that's going to have to be good enough. If someone has something shitty to say about it, fine.

I'll take over for you then. Turn 1 tunnel trog never draw any more damage than consecrate. It ended up being a 8/1 when I died. Must have deal me close to 30 damage by itself (played 2 forbidden healings already)
And Immediately run into priest again, steals my cairne by moat lurkering their sylvanas entombs my sylvanas and I concede already.

clav

The game is aggro before the other player takes control.

Rarely have a control vs. control matchup on ladder outside of Rank 15-20.

I didn't really realize how much I'd miss Sabotage in trying to make slower Rogue Decks. Not only is it cheaper, but being able to remove stealthed minions was pretty big too.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't mind aggro decks, but what they really do not have the same downsides they used to. New era Hunter is the worst example of this. In the past they would run out of steam late game where low card draw would hurt them, but now they just get loads of guaranteed power past turn eight. They don't need to control the board or hit certain conditions or dilute their deck, they just get a huge fail proof surge of power for damage, board presence, and defense. Call is magnitudes stronger than something like Varian and it's just super gross and thoughtless. When you consider the strong aggro decks of the past that had so much more going on it's honestly pathetic what the game has turned into.

One Night in Karazahn is a really cool idea conceptually, so it feels even worse to see the game slip into such bad practices. I have regularly reflected on the meta as being underwhelming, but the number of interesting decks that have been thrown under the bus for the super cheesy control decks and aggro decks with unreal late game damage set the game down a path where redemption or fixes seem like an impossibility.

Levi

Banned
So far I'm 100% against Hunters and 0% against Paladins and that's all I'm seeing.

What deck is fast enough to beat hunter and resilient enough to beat the infinite board clear/ infinite healing of Paladin?

Ivory Knight is so broken.

AzureSky

so, my luckiest game so far just happened. Playing druid, turn 2 innervate into barnes, summons Y'Shaarj who summons the real Y'Shaarj at the end of the turn.

Would have felt bad, but my opponent was a beast druid and had by some wizardry 4/4 buffed raven and 5/4 Savage Combatant on board by turn 2 already. Felt good and righteous instead ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom