• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
My opponent: Mounted Raptor into Dust Devil into Mark of YShaarj. That's a 5/4 windfury minion on turn 4. (he coined the Raptor)

Me: Not a speck of salt.

Later when I was at 7hp he played Rag and missed, giving me lethal. I was behind all game but took back the board, got a thunderbluff to stick and tempoed him right out of the game. He had to rely on a desperation Rag when it was a 1 in 6.

Feeling good about that one.

Edit:

I'm not liking how all of a sudden all these midrange decks are being called aggro by this thread, when I tried to suggest that these midrange decks were more accurately called aggro decks I was dog piled by a bunch of self-appointed archetype experts.

So either I was right all along or these midrange decks are only aggro decks when THEY lose to them.

gutshot

People have gotten Legend with it easily and use it as high legend ranks too. Deck is dumb as hell, it's definitely performing well. .

Yeah, it's been a lot better than I expected although the biggest difference for me was adding Fandral. I had been running the more aggressive build that ran Argent Horseriders and Commanders. Swapping them out for Fandral and Menagerie Wardens has made a huge difference in my mid-game power. The Wardens have just been okay but Fandral is so strong comboed with Wrath and Raven Idol, especially.

Dahbomb

Yeah, it's been a lot better than I expected although the biggest difference for me was adding Fandral. I had been running the more aggressive build that ran Argent Horseriders and Commanders. Swapping them out for Fandral and Menagerie Wardens has made a huge difference in my mid-game power. The Wardens have just been okay but Fandral is so strong comboed with Wrath and Raven Idol, especially.
The even more refined aggro version doesn't even use Fandral because it doesn't use Wraths and Raven Idols. It uses Leeroy/Rag finisher with more Stealthed minions like Jungle Panther plus the Direwolf as an extra 2 drop (which is also a beast).

This is probably going to be better version if people's attempt to beat Beast Druid is to go faster than them.

gutshot

The even more refined aggro version doesn't even use Fandral because it doesn't use Wraths and Raven Idols. It uses Leeroy/Rag finisher with more Stealthed minions like Jungle Panther plus the Direwolf as an extra 2 drop (which is also a beast).

This is probably going to be better version if people's attempt to beat Beast Druid is to go faster than them.

Yeah, I ran that version sans Wardens a couple weeks ago. It was definitely fast and could out race a lot of decks but it got crapped on by AOE and ran out of steam pretty quickly. The Wardens probably make it more powerful, so I might switch back to it at some point, but so far I'm liking my Fandral build. I still play it very aggressively, but I feel it has a bit more ways to control the board and it's not just mindless attacking of face.

I just had the most amazing comeback win I've ever had. I was playing N'zoth Dragon Paladin against a Mage playing Antonidas, Barnes, Ragnoros, Reno, etc. I was at 1 health and came back to win. And he healed from 5 to 30 with Reno late in the game too.

My opponent added me after the game was actually cool about it. The last two adds I've had were cool people, that has to be rare.

I know I don't win that often with my dumb decks, but I live for moments like these;

Play Swashburgler, get a Moonfire.
Play Xaril, which gets Mulched into a Wicked Witchdoctor.
Play Moonfire on an Enchanted Raven, which summons a Spell Power totem, which hits the Enchanted Raven for 2.

There's my luck for the day though. Not going to get better than that.

FeD.nL

Gonna be fun at Blizzcon, I hope that the finals will be decided by both Yogg and Barnes. Like this should be the 'fresh start'. We're one expansion away from the rotation of the 'pre-standard' sets and the keywords for this first year (and thus the foundation of standard) seem to be aggro and rng, to the surprise of fucking no one.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hit rank 5 for the first time today

swapped out freezing trap for explosive to deal with all the aggro

worked out okay so far

I know I don't win that often with my dumb decks, but I live for moments like these;

Play Swashburgler, get a Moonfire.
Play Xaril, which gets Mulched into a Wicked Witchdoctor.
Play Moonfire on an Enchanted Raven, which summons a Spell Power totem, which hits the Enchanted Raven for 2.

There's my luck for the day though. Not going to get better than that.

I got a hunter's mark off swashburglar after my opponent played a highmane. It wasn't the best thing ever but allowed me to keep a little bit more board presence so that helped.

Dahbomb

Gonna be fun at Blizzcon, I hope that the finals will be decided by both Yogg and Barnes. Like this should be the 'fresh start'. We're one expansion away from the rotation of the 'pre-standard' sets and the keywords for this first year (and thus the foundation of standard) seem to be aggro and rng, to the surprise of fucking no one.
Don't we have one expansion planned for end of this year and then next year we get a new expansion that starts off the new rotation? Or is that what you meant and I just read it wrong?

Good news is that we got some solid heal cards coming up in the next adventure with the two Portals. That would help out those slower Barnes, Arcane Giant, Yogg and maybe Medivh decks. Though I am not sure at this point we want more decks that buff Barnes and Yogg.

Levi

Banned
So this Mage has zero cards in hand vs my full board. Plays Babbling Book and gets flamestrike, clears my board.

Then, when they're very far ahead, they get greedy and decide to drop Yogg, and get punished with Astral Communion!

Oh, but before that happened Yogg cast commanding Shout into double Call of the Wild.

EM4QU9N.jpg

My "no salt" rule today is being sorely tested. My opponent's Barnes are drawing Highmanes and Lightlords, their Yoggs couldn't be any better if they got to pick which spells it cast. I had five King's Eleks played against me IN A ROW over THREE GAMES that all won the jousts. I don't think I EVER won a joust with Elek the week I was practicing Hunter.

But still, no salt. :D

Is control paladin really strong right now? It seems strong.

Is anyfin kind of control?

Yeah I'd say anyfin is control.

And I've had pretty good results with dragon paladin in ranked. I run more control than midrange. I've seen a midrange list that looks okay, kibler was playing it on stream. It has zoobot and menagerie magician.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Is there a stronger starting hand than mana wyrm, mana wyrm, coin, frost bolt?

No. The answer is no.

ESPECIALLY when your opponent has no turn one play.

That poor hunter. I really feel terribly for him.

Is there a stronger starting hand than mana wyrm, mana wyrm, coin, frost bolt?

No. The answer is no.

ESPECIALLY when your opponent has no turn one play.

That poor hunter. I really feel terribly for him.

Yeah. Just be careful watching this replay. Trigger warning required.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/mfqmr74tqNuZ2xQ5CVBNU8

Seriously, be sure you have a safe space available. I am triggered watching it in replay form. I was nearly legend when this happened.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think dragon paladin runs it. I have mixed it in with a couple control paladin lists though.

I guess a midrangy dragon paladin wouldn't run it.

Maybe that discover dragon card can enable a more controlling version that can add Chillmaw, Sylvanus, and N'Zoth.

It's too bad Chillmaw's ability is a drawback for midrange decks, otherwise you'd definitely see N'Zoth fit in already.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think I am going to try to build a Reno hunter.

Probably the one reno deck where Curator makes sense, because they actually have a need for Finley and have very good beasts to draw. Also helps the fact they have like 0 other good card draw options.

Shinypogs

My hunter deck got so much stronger when I swapped out my on the hunt for pantry spider. Though I do miss being able to deal that one damage and get a hound the spiders are simply more useful. I still need to open packs for highmanes, other beasts I need and a second call of the wild though but for a wip deck it's doing fine. Atm I need to save gold to grab the first wing of LOE to get peddlers for my zoolock deck and forgotten torch for my wip freeze mage , though I'm not gonna bother saving up the gold for all the wings when they're gonna cycle out next year.

I'm also sad that shifter zerus cannot find a home in any of the three decks I'm running atm. I loved the shiftercon tavern brawl and would love to run the little guy but there always seems to be a better card that could be taking up that slot. I was even going to just use one pantry spider and zerus in my hunter deck but opted not to for the sake of more consistency.
this here is what I have so far. Some things that are one offs I only have one of currently and others like the secrets I just wanted one of each though I might swap the snipe out for a second freezing trap since people play around snipe a lot by placing a trash minion first.

* I do have a gladiators longbow I could use in place of one of my eagle horns because being immune while attacking is nice but I'm not sure if cheaper cost and higher chance to draw if I use two eagle horns is the better trade off in this case. Advice on that would be helpful.

Kettch

Somehow I plummeted down the legend ranks playing a mix of tempo mage, dragon warrior and mid-range hunter. Now I'm 11-3 with Reno Mage. Everybody is playing curve out decks, so iceblock/Reno is just destroying. Even the 3 losses were really close.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My hunter deck got so much stronger when I swapped out my on the hunt for pantry spider. Though I do miss being able to deal that one damage and get a hound the spiders are simply more useful. I still need to open packs for highmanes, other beasts I need and a second call of the wild though but for a wip deck it's doing fine. Atm I need to save gold to grab the first wing of LOE to get peddlers for my zoolock deck and forgotten torch for my wip freeze mage , though I'm not gonna bother saving up the gold for all the wings when they're gonna cycle out next year.

I'm also sad that shifter zerus cannot find a home in any of the three decks I'm running atm. I loved the shiftercon tavern brawl and would love to run the little guy but there always seems to be a better card that could be taking up that slot. I was even going to just use one pantry spider and zerus in my hunter deck but opted not to for the sake of more consistency.
this here is what I have so far. Some things that are one offs I only have one of currently and others like the secrets I just wanted one of each though I might swap the snipe out for a second freezing trap since people play around snipe a lot by placing a trash minion first.

* I do have a gladiators longbow I could use in place of one of my eagle horns because being immune while attacking is nice but I'm not sure if cheaper cost and higher chance to draw if I use two eagle horns is the better trade off in this case. Advice on that would be helpful.

Yeah, the eaglehorn bow is way better than Gladiator's Longbow because of the cost. 4 extra mana for 2 extra attack is extremely expensive, and your deck doesn't seem the type to care about your health total. Even in decks that care about your life total a lot I find a lot of difficulty using Gladiator's Longbow.

I suspect you're winning more with your pantry spider change because you were previously running out of cards too fast, and needed to make your curve heavier. The other thing that's probably making you run out of cards is 2 timber wolves with a dire wolf alpha on top of that. Timberwolves have their extremely niche uses, but I would recommend you stay away from that card as a beginner. 1 direwolf should be enough for your attack buffing needs, though even that's questionable unless you get a second Unleash the Hounds and Argent Squires to combo with it.

I don't know what you have that could replace the timberwolves, but I suspect even Bloodfen Raptor from the basic set would be an improvement.

And your winrate will be way better when you get double highmane and double call of the wild. those cards really are quite insane.

clav

Wow uh. I faced this Arena deck at 0-0.

Past three opponents I've played have had constructed decks + really powerful late game minions. I don't think anyone can beat them with an average draft.

Went through 24 cards before losing. I don't have any legendaries.

bk3ui7z.png

Wanted to know what the rest of the deck, but person's not responding

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Somehow I plummeted down the legend ranks playing a mix of tempo mage, dragon warrior and mid-range hunter. Now I'm 11-3 with Reno Mage. Everybody is playing curve out decks, so iceblock/Reno is just destroying. Even the 3 losses were really close.

Deck list?

Kettch

Deck list?

Arcane Blast
Babbling Book
Mana Wyrm
Acidic Swamp Ooze
Cult Sorcerer
Doomsayer
Frostbolt
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Arcane Intellect
Flamewaker
Forgotten Torch
Frost Nova
Ice Block
Twilight Flamecaller
Fireball
Polymorph
Spellbreaker
Water Elemental
Azure Drake
Cabalist's Tome
Ethereal Conjurer
Flame Lance
Blizzard
Faceless Summoner
Reno Jackson
Archmage Antonidas
Firelands Portal
Flamestrike
Rhonin
Alexstrasza

I swapped Flame Lance in for Mirror Image just recently, because of all the Ragnaros I kept seeing.

Shinypogs

Yeah, the eaglehorn bow is way better than Gladiator's Longbow because of the cost. 4 extra mana for 2 extra attack is extremely expensive, and your deck doesn't seem the type to care about your health total. Even in decks that care about your life total a lot I find a lot of difficulty using Gladiator's Longbow.

I suspect you're winning more with your pantry spider change because you were previously running out of cards too fast, and needed to make your curve heavier. The other thing that's probably making you run out of cards is 2 timber wolves with a dire wolf alpha on top of that. Timberwolves have their extremely niche uses, but I would recommend you stay away from that card as a beginner. 1 direwolf should be enough for your attack buffing needs, though even that's questionable unless you get a second Unleash the Hounds and Argent Squires to combo with it.

I don't know what you have that could replace the timberwolves, but I suspect even Bloodfen Raptor from the basic set would be an improvement.

And your winrate will be way better when you get double highmane and double call of the wild. those cards really are quite insane.

I can certainly replace the timberwolves with 2x bloodfen or a second cloaked huntress and one bloodfen. I do treat hunter different than zoolock of course, I don't just plop timberwolves down as a one drop, I wait until their buff will be beneficial enough to the board to risk losing them the next turn. Still, if I'm better off replacing them then I will since they wouldn't have stayed forever anyways.

I eventually want to run something like http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/620626-thijs-secret-hunter but I obviously don't have all the pieces yet ( or ever in the case of quickshot) and so I'm just trying to make something moderately functional until I can assemble everything I'm missing that I can reasonably get.

I was so proud that yesterday I finally got into rank 17 this season by beating a fellow hunter who pulled call of the wild twice but I still managed to pull off a victory. I know I still have a lot to learn though and many cards to collect which will help me make stronger decks. Ty for the help.

manhack

If anybody is interested I'm going to jump on Discord GAF for a little while and grind out some games.

My plans are to play some swashburglar tempo rogue, fast dragon paladin and a control shaman list.

I'll post my battlenet tag on discord if anybody joins up.

Spectating Levi now and cheering him on to Rank 5.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If you homebrew a crappy deck, you are more likely to face the bad people at your rank with crappy decks like you or hose that just suck.

I just faced the worst zoo deck ever at rank 8, and also faced another hunter who was playing a menagerie sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom