• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulgrok

The bolded is the ONLY thing I want addressed in Wild. I'm even fine with Dr. Boom, comparatively.

Every deck feels amazing until you play it for a few hours. Then the game code turns on you.

I think the idea Blizzard has is this: if you play a deck with a lot of new cards, you are likely to have just spent money. So they want to reward you for doing that by giving you better matchups/draws. Then, after a while, you start to play people who have just spent money, so they get better draws than you while your win-formula drops. Your frustration then is supposed to lead to you spending more money, and the cycle repeats. Since the game is ~50% RNG, everyone has a ~50% winrate unless they make consistently terrible decisions. This leads everyone to be "kind of happy" with the game because they get moments of satisfaction. Then cards like Yogg, etc., are there to push everyone toward that ~50% winrate.

As a source of income, Hearthstone is an extremely well-designed game.

That would explain why every time I make a new deck I go 7-0 at the start.

wiibomb

guys... some good decks you can think of for Sylvanna?

I don't find it often now.. did it lose relevance with WoTG or ONiK?

Dre

guys... some good decks you can think of for Sylvanna?

I don't find it often now.. did it lose relevance with WoTG or ONiK?

Pretty much every N'Zoth deck runs her. She's a staple card in every control and sometimes midrange deck.

At which rank do you play? I see her constantly at ranks 10 - 5.

Smilax

Newbie player here, basically starting out, i'm at Rank 20 now, and I have like 700 gold, should I spend it on Packs or should I save up and buy the adventure chapters?

Had no idea some folk hated on Entomb so much. I usually get a good chuckle out of it since Priest always end up using it on some sort of 4 attack minion. It's usually my Azure Drakes that get hit by it, which doesn't hurt me in the slightest. Please Entomb my Klaxxi Amber Weaver lol.

Leave the damn Priest alone. He's living a sad as fuck life right now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Newbie player here, basically starting out, i'm at Rank 20 now, and I have like 700 gold, should I spend it on Packs or should I save up and buy the adventure chapters?

What class do you like the most?

Basically find a cheap deck you want to make and see what you need.

Adventures are expensive at 700 gold per wing, but the cards are guaranteed and some of them are really powerful. Packs are better for filling out your collection if you don't have anything, but really bad for getting specific cards.

Also keep in mind that you get one free classic pack per week from the tavern brawl, and I think you'll get one guaranteed Whispers of the Old Gods pack because you get a free arena run when you start out.

wiibomb

little advice here, I started spending gold on the adventures and I kinda regret it now, buying packs with gold is actually more effective as it builds your collection since you either get new cards or get enough dust to make new ones, in the case of adventures, you aready get exactly what you pay for, so in that case real money is better spent.

I suggest buying packs with gold (classic packs since you are starting) and then buy adventures later on with real money if you can.

Mostly control decks, which tend to be more expensive and slow.

Pretty much every N'Zoth deck runs her. She's a staple card in every control and sometimes midrange deck.

At which rank do you play? I see her constantly at ranks 10 - 5.

just found some control decks and yikes! they are expensive...

EDIT. I meant I didn't see her on ant deck I searched online

Dahbomb

Ekop vs Xixo GF at Truesilver.

Xixo is using quite a few new cards. I think he got Malygos Miracle Druid in there.

I like in both of their highlights they showed them dropping down 4 mana 7/7.

patchday

I honestly would prefer it if the next expansion will be dripfeeded to us like the adventures.

no one followed up on this post. But this would be beyond awful for expansions. I know a LOT of people unload cash (above even $100) when expansion drops.

If they dripfeed us expansions then people would be forced to wait til all the 'wings' were out and then go on a spending spree.

Thus, dripfeeding out expansions would be crazy bad and not good business sense

It works for adventures for obvious reasons

patchday

Had no idea some folk hated on Entomb so much. I usually get a good chuckle out of it since Priest always end up using it on some sort of 4 attack minion. It's usually my Azure Drakes that get hit by it, which doesn't hurt me in the slightest. Please Entomb my Klaxxi Amber Weaver lol.

during every month on my climbs I encounter a lot of priests. So I can speak for rank 15 and above we have to face many priests. The priest 'plight' only appears for higher ranks surely

Last night this priest got a super lucky hand. He had 2 x bishop + 2 x feasts cards.

screw priests man. The whole "priests suck and they need major help" is greatly exaggerated in my book

edit: I posted this a few days ago but even Kripp confirmed my belief directly by stating priests do well in upper ranks (above L14)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

That depends on whether you feel like you'll want to buy stuff with real money at some point. If you plan on spending real money on the game, the adventures are a much better use of your money than packs.

But either way, you'll probably want to spend most of your time gathering commons and rares from the classic packs before you get into working on the adventures.

manhack

during every month on my climbs I encounter a lot of priests. So I can speak for rank 15 and above we have to face many priests. The priest 'plight' only appears for higher ranks surely

Yeah I typically see a ton of priests between Rank 20 and 15 after the ladder reset and almost none between 15 and 5.

I think the expansion will cause them to see more play, but they are almost non-existent at rank 8-6. That is Hunter, Shaman and Druid land.

I have no idea how Menagerie Warden made it out of testing. Card is straight up fucking broken.

Then again, just another example of Blizzard printing obviously overpowered cards to make an archetype they like viable.

Shaman and Hunter are terribly designed classes and will remain such until they get big changes.

You are right that people get happy when weaknesses get plugged in but they lose sight of why those weaknesses were there. I am sure in the next expansion Priest is going to get some over powered stuff and then people will complain about Priest.

There will always be a bad guy though. There will always be some class at the top and some class at the bottom. I think what most people want is that the gap be shrunk.
Yup. Also, bring back Handlock.

That would explain why every time I make a new deck I go 7-0 at the start.
That's always my experience, too. I can't think of any other explanation, and Reynad thinks something like this is true, too.

As a Hunter main, I will always hate Entomb. Especially since this happened to me a week ago:

Play Savannah Highmane.
Opponent Entombs.
Next turn, Opponent plays Barnes - he pulls Savannah Highmane.
Next turn, Opponent plays Savannah Highmane.

What the hell is that? lol

Mulgrok

Yeah I typically see a ton of priests between Rank 20 and 15 after the ladder reset and almost none between 15 and 5.

I think the expansion will cause them to see more play, but they are almost non-existent at rank 8-6. That is Hunter, Shaman and Druid land.

For me this season has been:
18% warrior and hunter
13% mage, shaman, druid
7% priest, paladin, rogue, warlock

Salex_

Got a Play a Friend quest on NA. If anyone else has it, msg me.

I gotta say, I'm starting to enjoy the building up a collection aspect of the game now. I'm getting closer to having every decent-great epic and legendary in Standard so I can try out all of these interesting decks. Harrison Jones, Malkorok, Xaril, Chillmaw, and Malygos are the last "niche but essential" legendaries I need. I think I'll get Chillmaw next since I'm looking forward trying out the complete Dragon Paladin deck after the last wing releases. From what I tried so far, Dragon Paladin is going to be really strong.

EDIT: Just checked out the tournament stream. Knife Juggler RNG just might have decided this entire match and Portal looking to single handily stop zoolock from being a counter to aggro shaman. LUL

Dahbomb

Turn 5 lethal against Paladin... ayy lmao.

Top players think that putting in double Maelstroms in your Aggro Shaman deck puts Aggro Shaman in favor against Zoolock.

So... how do you counter Aggro Shaman now?

squidyj

No. Priests are anti-fun and deserve to suffer as long as they rely on being reactive and denying everything you do.

Chogall almost had a chance to win something if he had picked up more burn.
No. Priests are anti-fun and deserve to suffer as long as they rely on being reactive and denying everything you do.
yup

Top players think that putting in double Maelstroms in your Aggro Shaman deck puts Aggro Shaman in favor against Zoolock.

Always stay above 20 health and destroy their board.

As a Hunter main, I will always hate Entomb. Especially since this happened to me a week ago:

Play Savannah Highmane.
Opponent Entombs.
Next turn, Opponent plays Barnes - he pulls Savannah Highmane.
Next turn, Opponent plays Savannah Highmane.

What the hell is that? lol

Gotta love RNG.

Barnes has been a real pain in my ass. It seems like my opponent gets a fantastic pull from him every single time. The last two times it has been Sylvanas and Tirion. Wtf...
It feels awful to have to polymorph a 1/1 and knowing there's another one in the deck.

clav

Duplicate and Sludge Belcher + Deathlord + Doomsayer with Freezing spells.

Salex_

I really can't understand the Priest hate. There's a big thread on Reddit about that as well. How is playing against a Priest with the PERFECT hand and draws to use every situational card worse than Aggro Shaman/Dragon Warrior with a decent curve? You play from behind on turn 0. If you don't draw answers in the first 2 turns, it's GG. Or Yogg Druid going from a non-existent board to a massive board in a single turn?

Man, lately I've gotten a lot of friend requests. I don't care if someone wants to just bitch at me, but goddamn have the balls to stick around for a second or two. Why even bother to message someone if you're too cowardly to hear a response. Last one was "nice job top decking peacekeeper" in other words. I mean, why even bother with that. Guy was too dumb to see how lucky his start was and to go all in the way he did, playing around aldor with 2 conceals, then to get salty when I actually use aldor and bitch because it was the next card I drew?

edit:
Fuck it, I'm going back to auto-decline friend requests.

I really can't understand the Priest hate. There's a big thread on Reddit about that as well. How is playing against a Priest with the PERFECT hand and draws to use every situational card worse to losing to Aggro Shaman/Dragon Warrior with a decent curve? You play from behind on turn 0. If you don't draw answers in the first 2 turns, it's GG. Or Yogg Druid going from a non-existent board to a massive board in a single turn?

It forces a control player into tempo the priest player or GG. Against aggro decks you feel more in control. Losing against aggro also takes a fraction of the time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Critiques, help, or changes you'd make to my current hunter deck? I'm around rank 9 currently.

screenshot_20160828-1mosp3.png

Dahbomb

To the guy above me: Replace On the Hunts with Kindly Grandmothers.

I really can't understand the Priest hate. There's a big thread on Reddit about that as well. How is playing against a Priest with the PERFECT hand and draws to use every situational card worse than Aggro Shaman/Dragon Warrior with a decent curve? You play from behind on turn 0. If you don't draw answers in the first 2 turns, it's GG. Or Yogg Druid going from a non-existent board to a massive board in a single turn?
I just looked at the reddit thread and it's talking more about Barnes than Priest. Honestly Barnes is OP in a lot of decks, not just Priest. It's a terribly designed card.

And yeah losing to perfect curve aggro/tempo decks feels a lot worse than losing to Priest. Though when you lose to Priest it happens over a long time but you can always concede early.

Smilax

What class do you like the most?

Basically find a cheap deck you want to make and see what you need.

Adventures are expensive at 700 gold per wing, but the cards are guaranteed and some of them are really powerful. Packs are better for filling out your collection if you don't have anything, but really bad for getting specific cards.

Also keep in mind that you get one free classic pack per week from the tavern brawl, and I think you'll get one guaranteed Whispers of the Old Gods pack because you get a free arena run when you start out.
I like the Mage, Hunter, and Druid the most. Not so fond of the others but I get what they do; i'm at level 10+ on most except Mage who is at 20. So Packs huh? and for Classic? I started playing around the new set came out and I got like 10 packs for the new one for uhh doing the quests or so.

little advice here, I started spending gold on the adventures and I kinda regret it now, buying packs with gold is actually more effective as it builds your collection since you either get new cards or get enough dust to make new ones, in the case of adventures, you aready get exactly what you pay for, so in that case real money is better spent.

I suggest buying packs with gold (classic packs since you are starting) and then buy adventures later on with real money if you can.

just found some control decks and yikes! they are expensive...

Another vote for Classic huh? Hmmmmm

Critiques, help, or changes you'd make to my current hunter deck? I'm around rank 9 currently.

-1 Ram Wrangler
-1 Freezing Trap
+1 Snipe (I really rate this as a 1x in Huntress decks, it also kills enemy Huntresses which is a massive swing)
+1 Tundra Rhino

I want to like Ram Wrangler but I'm convinced at this stage it's bad. Sometimes it'll draw you Highmane or King Krush and you'll win the game, but there's too many mediocre beasts. I don't really rate Cloaked Huntress either. It's no Mad Scientist. I'd probably cut them for Houndmasters but that changes the entire deck.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
-1 Ram Wrangler
-1 Freezing Trap
+1 Snipe (I really rate this as a 1x in Huntress decks, it also kills enemy Huntresses which is a massive swing)
+1 Tundra Rhino

I want to like Ram Wrangler but I'm convinced at this stage it's bad. Sometimes it'll draw you Highmane or King Krush and you'll win the game, but there's too many mediocre beasts. I don't really rate Cloaked Huntress either. It's no Mad Scientist. I'd probably cut them for Houndmasters but that changes the entire deck.

Heh

I cut the houndmasters and added in the huntress with secrets when I got to like rank 12 lol

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I agree with replacing On the Hunts with Kindly Grandmothers, and personally would go for Cat Trick over Snake trap. Is an easier trigger and usually stronger result.

I also really hate ram wrangler, but if you like the RNG, whatever. One houndmaster in place of ram wranger would do the same thing better.

Levi

Banned
Fuck Priests. For real. So goddamn annoying to play against. Look at this shit:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/rBoHCDcyYUNhLAbzzWBm9N

Shadow Word Pain. Shadow Word Death. Excavated Evil. Entomb.

So I stabilize and win after he has perfect removal all game?

Here's what I get:

kgwAaP3.png

Let's delete Priest and Hunter as classes from the game, like, rotate them out so you can only play those classes in wild or something. /s

clav

People don't like losing to what is universally perceived worst class.

Similar in sports or life, people don't like losing to what appears to be the inferior team.

Dahbomb

Levi said:
Priest had perfect answers and still lost?

Garbage class confirmed. You know what happens when something like Token Druid or Tempo Mage gets a perfect hand?

You lose by turn 5.

People don't like losing to what is universally perceived worst class.

Similar in sports or life, people don't like losing to what appears to be the inferior team.
It's more like people don't like losing to their own stuff.

It's like Priests are so bad they can't win with their own cards so they have to steal other deck's cards to have a chance.

There's far less complaints about Control Paladin/Warriors even though they are also extremely reactive and control heavy. And they are much higher up in the tiers than Priests.

Salex_

It forces a control player into tempo the priest player or GG. Against aggro decks you feel more in control. Losing against aggro also takes a fraction of the time.

Control decks? In Standard? Those control matches are extremely rare. Let's go through the scenarios though.

C'thun/Control Warrior can easily win the long game with Tank Up alone. Shield Slamming C'thun = confirmed win. N'zoth Paladin is either easy with Justicar or extremely hard without Justicar. Murloc Paladin gets free wins against Priest. Control Shaman might have the worst match-up against Priest.

I mean, there's not many viable control decks. N'zoth Paladin and Control Shaman are the only 2 that actually can't win late game and are forced into playing tempo to win.

To the guy above me: Replace On the Hunts with Kindly Grandmothers.

I just looked at the reddit thread and it's talking more about Barnes than Priest. Honestly Barnes is OP in a lot of decks, not just Priest. It's a terribly designed card.

And yeah losing to perfect curve aggro/tempo decks feels a lot worse than losing to Priest. Though when you lose to Priest it happens over a long time but you can always concede early.
I was talking about this thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/4zxlgs/i_got_so_caught_up_in_feeling_bad_for_priest_i/

And yeah, Barnes is such a poorly designed card. I'm expecting that card to limit the already limited creativity in the upcoming expansions/adventures.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Even if both are equally hopeless, it's more fun to have to look for the answer than to be the one that provides all the questions all game long. Even aggro decks usually get a choice between trade or face, and that's typically not there against priest.

Control Warrior has some of the same problems, but there are more ways to play around things like Brawl and Execute than there is Auchenai Circle or Pain/Death.

Dahbomb

Ah I see that thread now.

Yeah it basically echoes what I said... people don't like their stuff stolen and losing to their own cards.

C'thun/Control Warrior can easily win the long game with Tank Up alone. Shield Slamming C'thun = confirmed win. N'zoth Paladin is either easy with Justicar or extremely hard without Justicar. Murloc Paladin gets free wins against Priest. Control Shaman might have the worst match-up against Priest.
Renolock/Handlock doesn't lose to Priest either.

One of the few ways Priest wins against that deck is they steal Jaraxxus. That's why I always keep Jaraxxus in my hand against Priests.

Levi

Banned
Priest had perfect answers and still lost?

Garbage class confirmed. You know what happens when something like Token Druid or Tempo Mage gets a perfect hand?

You lose by turn 5.

I agree that Priests are bad but they are still a terror to go up against. You never know when they are just gonna highroll you and win with good Resurrect and Thoughtsteal RNG.

I was playing Pala on EU, this Priest thoughsteals Wild Pyro and Equality. Like, what?!?

I was more humblebragging how I beat this Priest player so badly he had to rage request me to tell me to kill myself. I also like how he blames Yogg for his defeat, when if you watch the game you'll see it was a very mediocre Yogg. It drew me some cards and sapped his Tournament Medic, big whoop.

clav

It's more like people don't like losing to their own stuff.

It's like Priests are so bad they can't win with their own cards so they have to steal other deck's cards to have a chance.
That has been mentioned countless times, which is what Priest does.

I guess when Entomb gets rotated out, people will bother keeping their high cost cards at start against Priest to avoid the ThoughtSteal mechanic.

You don't see complaints about Rogue getting RNG cards.

Can Yshaarj pull Jaraxxus out?
Yes, but he will just be a 3/15 minion.

Fuck Priests. For real. So goddamn annoying to play against. Look at this shit:

https://hsreplay.net/replay/rBoHCDcyYUNhLAbzzWBm9N

Shadow Word Pain. Shadow Word Death. Excavated Evil. Entomb.

Here's what I get:

kgwAaP3.png

Let's delete Priest and Hunter as classes from the game, like, rotate them out so you can only play those classes in wild or something. /s
How can someone who adores Fatigue Warrior complain about those cards? lol

Priest is a great class. It just needs cards that make it more than "Counter everything". Hunter needs a redesign.

Dahbomb

You don't see complaints about Rogue getting RNG cards.
Those cards that are pulled aren't from your own deck and thus on average will be worse.

There will be complaints once Rogue pulls the perfect card out of the ether though especially if the deck is even half way decent.

Nothing feels worse than a Rogue stealing a Sacrificial Pact and then killing a Jaraxxus with it. That has happened to me before and the salt floweth.

Those cards that are pulled aren't from your own deck and thus on average will be worse.

There will be complaints once Rogue pulls the perfect card out of the ether though especially if the deck is even half way decent.

Nothing feels worse than a Rogue stealing a Sacrificial Pact and then killing a Jaraxxus with it. That has happened to me before and the salt floweth.
I fought a Rogue earlier today who got Shadowflame against my Zoo deck.

lol

Levi

Banned
Where's that crybaby who was complaining that Shaman didn't get any worthwhile cards besides Maelstrom?

I just lost because I couldn't remove a Witchdoctor, which led to me being burst down from 38 effective health in one turn.

I had an ancient of war on board and 28 health and didn't feel like I was about to die.

Guess what.

I died.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/vFQhmLWpjCdhQZaAVpjodK

I fought a Rogue earlier today who got Shadowflame against my Zoo deck.

lol

I fought a rogue who got healing wave against my shaman still easily won since I won the joust.

Where's that crybaby who was complaining that Shaman didn't get any worthwhile cards besides Maelstrom?

I just lost because I couldn't remove a Witchdoctor, which led to me being burst down from 38 effective health in one turn.

I had an ancient of war on board and 28 health and didn't feel like I was about to die.

Guess what.

I died.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/vFQhmLWpjCdhQZaAVpjodK

that'd be me but that game was hardly won because you couldn't remove her. You even had the chance but considered the taunt more important.

Ah, Cloaked Huntress, another blatantly overpowered card to push an archetype Blizzard likes.

I swear that's all the content drops in this game revolve around now. What does Blizzard like? Okay let's make some overpowered cards to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom