• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I can't believe I'm finally seeing the light...

I made this Dragon Warrior deck and I've been having a very nice streak...

I know a lot hate the deck, but I actually find it amazing and just today jumped from rank 18 to rank 13...

also, any suggestions are welcome, I plan to add grommash at some point when I decide to craft him (it hurts to use the 1600 dust). No twilight Guardian, though... I had enough disgust crafting the Alex Champs being from TGT

Midnight drake is so much worse than twilight drake.

It's also premature to call a card mediocre at this stage especially a card that is good enough to be ran.

People ran Doomhammers and Lava Burst but it was never that good before (not tier 1 good). That was the point. It's power level absolutely has changed since Shaman has aggressive early game to allow for Doomhammers to finish the game. It's like saying Mysterious Challengers power level hasn't changed with Minibot, Muster and Avenge gone...of course it has changed because that deck doesn't have the same early game as before.

I wonder if dragon pally could play a secret package since they got the early game.

Shinypogs

Made it to 15 with my attempt at secret hunter, seasonal goal achieved. I feel like for me what cloaked huntress does is let me make the opponent wary enough to play safe for enough turns for me to draw lethal. When I can drop 2-3 secrets at once people do not want to do much of anything the next few turns until they know what they have to play around. Given the aforementioned lack of card draw for hunter extra turns is super important for me.

I imagine people will start using eater of secrets soon if secret hunter becomes a big problem?

Dahbomb

I wonder if dragon pally could play a secret package since they got the early game.
I personally think Secret Paladin is almost there. Like you can play it and have some success with it. Not tier 1 like that other site is implying but it's like 1 or 2 cards away from being realized.

You need early game board stickiness to make Secret Paladin work though. Doesn't seem like it would work well with Dragons but who knows, that new Paladin 3 drop at least works well with it. People experimented with Silent Knight as a poor man's Minibot.

Check out this dank Secret Paladin deck though:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/622731-standard-secret-paladin-its-back

17 1 drops... AAYY!!!

wiibomb

Midnight drake is so much worse than twilight drake.

I know, I know... but interestingly enough, since I always play it to be a 6/4 or 7/4 it kinda becomes a soft taunt since the attacks becomes so big and the opponent becomes intimidated by it

I decided I wanted 1 MD since a second Bloodhoof brave would have kinda ruin my dragon synergy

patchday

Made it to 15 with my attempt at secret hunter, seasonal goal achieved. I feel like for me what cloaked huntress does is let me make the opponent wary enough to play safe for enough turns for me to draw lethal. When I can drop 2-3 secrets at once people do not want to do much of anything the next few turns until they know what they have to play around. Given the aforementioned lack of card draw for hunter extra turns is super important for me.

I imagine people will start using eater of secrets soon if secret hunter becomes a big problem?

Have you seen any priests today? My secret hunter had some trouble with priest last night. I kept getting them back-to-back too. Finally went back to my tempo mage and of course I didnt see a single priest

patchday

^^ Lol

Interesting the mention of lack of card draw for Hunter. I was tempted to put Tracking in my deck but I hate how it discards the other cards I dont select. I'm deathly afraid my 3 options will be 2 CoTWs and I'll risk losing one

Have you seen any priests today? My secret hunter had some trouble with priest last night. I kept getting them back-to-back too. Finally went back to my tempo mage and of course I didnt see a single priest

Priest is rarely being played. I've seen less than 10% in my last ~150 matches according to HDT.

^^ Lol

Interesting the mention of lack of card draw for Hunter. I was tempted to put Tracking in my deck but I hate how it discards the other cards I dont select. I'm deathly afraid my 3 options will be 2 CoTWs and I'll risk losing one

Yeah hunter isn't devoid of card draw mechanics. Tracking is really quite a powerful tool because it thins your deck out for 1 mana.

^^ Lol

Tracking is a cantrip, not a draw, though. It's a good card that you can use to make sure you even out your curve. Hunter almost always has an awkward turn near the start to use it on. You might get 2 CotWs and risk losing one, but think of it differently: you can guarantee a CotW. Also, in terms of 1-drops you can top deck, Tracking is probably the best one in the game.

patchday

Priest is rarely being played. I've seen less than 10% in my last ~150 matches according to HDT.

You're pretty high ranked though right? I get the feeling you're legendary lol

I was curious what the other guy might have thought since he's in my same boat (I want to cross back into 15 before month ends; had much easier time last month but used my old handy midrange hunter)

You're pretty high ranked though right? I get the feeling you're legendary lol

I was curious what the other guy might have thought since he's in my same boat (I want to cross back into 15 before month ends; had much easier time last month but used my old handy midrange hunter)

Nope, just hovering around rank 1-3. I kinda lost the drive to get legend and I barely had any this month to begin with. I've been doing a lot of deck testing in casual where most of the last 150 game stats came from. You play all sorts of ranks there, I know from the rage friend requests I saw a rank 15 call me a scrub noob when I top decked an aldor peacekeeper the turn after both his conceals were gone.

^^ Lol

yea tracking isnt used that much for card draw as more of a hey I dont really have a play next turn or let me try and fish for lethal. It's great for discarding crappy cards later in the game like your secrets or huge toad when you dont really want them anymore

Dahbomb

I would play Tracking more if it didn't discard the other 2 options. I have it in my LnL Cloaked Huntress deck and usually I want to track into Cloaked Huntress for the combos but sometimes I also get Call of the Wild and man... I do not want one less Call of the Wild.

I see the value in discarding cards too though.

Also according to Heartharena... Firelands Portal is the BEST Common card for Arena. Kripp vindicated!

Tracking seems like it should be really strong still. 1 mana cycle is nuts. And you get some control over the card draw. And since hunter never draws through all their cards, you're not really missing out on your second call of the wild the few times you get both in the same tracking, because you may never have drawn that cotw before the game ends anyway.

Levi

Banned
Priest is definitely on the rise, although the game is still freakin' HunterStone.

Here's my opponents the last 24 hours (rank 6).

13 Hunters
11 Shamans
8 Druids
7 Warriors
6 Priests
3 Paladin
2 Warlock
2 Rogue
2 Mage

Smilax

t33ou46.png

Posted here a little while ago, bought 14 packs, 7 in gold, 7 in money, and I was wondering if there was any changes I should make, currently rank 19 with two stars.

clav

Posted here a little while ago, bought 14 packs, 7 in gold, 7 in money, and I was wondering if there was any changes I should make, currently rank 19 with two stars.

Your deck is all over the place. It has some aggro cards but mostly based on control. Seems like if you lose board, you're done as nothing sticks.

Add fiery bats + Highmane + bows. Hunter without weapons is done in arena.

One Hunter's Mark is enough.

Call of the Wild if you don't have any.

Throw in tracking because you probably don't curve out well.

Leper Gnome was better when it was a 2 attack card. You can replace with Abusive Sergeant.

Another Dire Wolf.

Another Skill Command.

Jungle Panther is really slow. OK in arena, but maybe viable in a beast Druid although Stranglethorn Tiger is the best addition.

Ram Wrangler is too RNG dependent heavy as there are a lot of bad beasts.

Quickshot requires BRM.

Alternatively, build a ZooLock deck if your goal is cheap. Aggro Shaman is also cheap (although requires adventures for an annoying 1-mana minion).

Otherwise play Arena or spend more money.

Dahbomb

Tracking seems like it should be really strong still. 1 mana cycle is nuts. And you get some control over the card draw. And since hunter never draws through all their cards, you're not really missing out on your second call of the wild the few times you get both in the same tracking, because you may never have drawn that cotw before the game ends anyway.
It is strong and it does see play but Hunter is a tempo class and that 1 mana spent tracking is 1 mana you could be spending doing something like playing a Fiery Bat. Hunter wants to be utilizing all of their mana crystals and they actually don't want to be floating any mana, even 1 mana for a tracking.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Huntress does not demand that much card draw. If you play it in tandem with a single secret you get a huge tempo swing, and you can use stuff like bow durability off secret reveal to make up for low card draw.

Just played against an interesting control warrior deck running double tournament medic and fool's bane. That was... interesting but my deck had no trouble beating it out in the late game as all he had left were 5-6 some cards with double execute and shield slam and all I did was hero power and drop tirion.

He conceded at 40 hp because he couldn't deal with tirion efficiently, not to mention the bombs he didn't even know about which were ysera, lightlord, chillmaw, and 2 forbidden healings... plus he was 2 card draw ahead of me. I was ready to go the distance.

Huntress does not demand that much card draw. If you play it in tandem with a single secret you get a huge tempo swing, and you can use stuff like bow durability off secret reveal to make up for low card draw.

I think you're exaggerating how "huge" the benefit of playing a single secret is, especially against good players who know how to minimize a secret's impact and sometimes completely nullify it. I think the main cost of hunter's secrets is not the mana, it's the card itself. That's why cloaked huntress isn't broken or even close to it.

While in a class like mage, their secrets are more mana restricted but not even kirin tor sees play. I doubt even kirin tor would be broke if it had the same text as cloaked huntress.

wiibomb

right now you are suffering the same problems I had back in may when I opened my first packs. the deck has a little too much odd balls mainly because of the absence of many very important cards, For example Hunter requires Call of The Wild to work nicely for a good ranked play, but that is way too much to ask for you right now.

So, what about this: try to follow some consistent deck recipes with only basic cards for now and then when you get someday enough packs and cards to craft a consistent deck. I suggest this mainly because you have way too many bad cards and the deck will most likely behave bad when playing against others. I could even argue that it will get you worst result than a good constructed deck with basic cards.

back then I started I followed this very useful guide to build good starter basic decks as well as following the suggestions about how to play them. You might even get a liking for other classes.

bjaelke

I play it almost daily.
Also according to Heartharena... Firelands Portal is the BEST Common card for Arena. Kripp vindicated!

Merps and Adwcta said the impact wasn't as significant based on the games they've analyzed. They still have Flamestrike above it.

clav

I play it almost daily.

Merps and Adwcta said the impact wasn't as significant based on the games they've analyzed. They still have Flamestrike above it.

You always see people here posting not to play it despite its flaws.

I think it's great for new players, so they don't have to keep asking about card disadvantage.

bjaelke

I think it's great for new players, so they don't have to keep asking about card disadvantage.

I think Tavern Brawl is better for new players in that regard since the use of drafting assistance has dramatically increased since Old Gods came out. Every deck you face above 3 wins in arena feels like a constructed deck.

clav

I think Tavern Brawl is better for new players in that regard since the use of drafting assistance has dramatically increased since Old Gods came out. Every deck you face above 3 wins in arena feels like a constructed deck.

Not when Tavern Brawl requires your own card collection.

I say 6 wins, not 3 wins.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I would play Tracking more if it didn't discard the other 2 options. I have it in my LnL Cloaked Huntress deck and usually I want to track into Cloaked Huntress for the combos but sometimes I also get Call of the Wild and man... I do not want one less Call of the Wild.

I see the value in discarding cards too though.

Sure, you pick the card you want to discard the least because it's the card that's most likely going to win the game. Lets say it does reshuffle it into your deck instead of discards it. Are you really going to rely on your next few draws to get CotW if it's really that important to your win?

I do understand the mana cost being too expensive for some, but I think any argument about it's discard being a drawback in any way for the typical hunter deck is nuts.

Shinypogs

Pretty much only saw ressurect. C'thun and dragon priests at ranks 17-16 with the odd hunter thrown in. Started getting mages again and what I think was a renolock at 15.

For me everything but Dragon priest is beatable by forcing them to heal every turn limiting them on how many spells and minions they can use. They deal poorly with freezing trap since they don't tend to play early minions and really can't afford to replay later minions at a higher cost. Still really annoying though and you can't take them for granted.

Dragon priests fuck me up. I can't fight into the dragons and other units and I can't kill them before they kill me. Secrets annoy them but the dragons and other buffed units can handle everything my secret hunter has. Not even call of the wild helps there.

For me the biggest thing when it comes to priests is respecting their aoe potential. I never put everything on the board unless doing so gives me lethal that turn. Same as mage really, you never go all in without same turn lethal becuase they will flamestrike you for getting greedy.

Also idk where shamans went in the last few levels but I see none. Maybe they have all made legend with their nonsense.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

So it's only a top 5 arena common card instead of the number 1 best arena common card ever? I agree with that valuation but that's not exactly comforting. It being the same class that already has the absolute crazy good arena common spell of Flamestrike is kinda the whole problem.

They also haven't adjusted the percentages to let you see ONiK cards more often in drafts yet. Firelands Portal is quite clearly the best arena card of the ONiK set, so mage is going to get the most benefit from that shift.

Pooya

this weabo HS Kripp is playing looks solid. Finally competition is realizing they need to have those animations, voice acting and flashy things like that.

I've preached this for a long time, but these days I'm not so sure. Arena is so cutthroat now. Drafting tools might help you get a deck that isn't garbage, but a new player has no chance of success in Arena with even an average deck simply because...there are hardly any new players in Arena to feed off each other. At 0-0, 0-1, 1-2 you could be facing 12 win quality decks. Feels far more frequent than the days of vanilla. And that's not even getting into the class balance.

It's still the best value for building a card collection the game has to offer, but it takes a special kind of person to learn the game through Arena while winning 0-2 games until you figure out how to play (I was that kind of person).

Ladekabel

I think I need a break from Hearthstone after the last Karazhan wing hits. Facing Shamans and Hunters all around, Except when I play Giant Patron I always face Priests and Paladins who just heal out of reach of my combo and always have the answer to my Patrons.

But it is funny playing with Rogue against face decks. They leave your minions up because having you at 4 hp is the way to go. Who cares about the attack power on the field? Thanks guys for giving me lethal that way.

zoukka

Honestly the biggest reason why I don't arena anymore is the insane time investment you need to put into it. It's a depressing slog.

Any arena players in here?

So many people avoid it.

I would consider myself an arena only player. However I don't think that will last much longer. The issues are:

* Mage. The class is already over the top and when the card bonus kicks in it will be worse. The issue with firelands portal is it does 5 damage. Having 5 health is the way you draft an anti-mage deck and this will no longer work.
* The coin. Going second just absolutely screws you over, unless you are mage. I don't know what they can do here. Maybe give you another coin later in a game.

I mean it still shits all over trying to play ranked, but so does not playing at all.

ViviOggi

Honestly the biggest reason why I don't arena anymore is the insane time investment you need to put into it. It's a depressing slog.

I mean that's because it's in such a terrible place balance-, variety- and strategy-wise. If it wasn't all Mages and the piloting required you to plan well ahead and outplay your opponent instead of phoning in the same basic routines over and over because it's all about drafts and draws and coins anyway then the games themselves would actually be enjoyable to play.

KuroNeeko

I mean that's because it's in such a terrible place balance-, variety- and strategy-wise. If it wasn't all Mages and the piloting required you to plan well ahead and outplay your opponent instead of phoning in the same basic routines over and over because it's all about drafts and draws and coins anyway then the games themselves would actually be enjoyable to play.

lol. Your B-va avatar is kicking my butt! >:3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom