• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
Meta shifts in the first few weeks of new card releases are going to revolve around what's easy to build, easy to play, fast to test and popular with streamers. Which is Druid and Hunter in the last two weeks.

Warrior got Arcane Giant, which is cheap enough to build but super slow and really easy to screw up.

Next week's hotness will probably be Malchezaar's Imp and Discardlock, even if it isn't great.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Arena was super legit in beta and great for new players. The disparity between how powerful a high end card is compared to a low end one is crazy now though.

zoukka

In Magic, the drafting is exciting because you try to come up with synergy from a limited pool of cards.

In Hearthstone you just draft boring ass minions on curve.

ViviOggi

lol. Your B-va avatar is kicking my butt! >:3

JNgRZv4.png

jgminto

Arena was super legit in beta and great for new players. The disparity between how powerful a high end card is compared to a low end one is crazy now though.
Blizzard needs to redesign Arena, it feels more like gambling at this point than any sort of challenge. Roll for a good class, roll for a good curve, roll to go first, roll for your early drop mulligan. Those are all more important for winning in Arena than any choice or strategy during a match.

Levi

Banned
Warrior is down because hunter is up. When your worst match up is half the ladder, not much point in playing the class.

jgminto

Dragon Warrior didn't even have a bad match up against Hunter and I doubt Kindly Grandmother and Barnes will stop Dragon Warrior coming back as the dominant deck once the meta has settled.

bjaelke

Dragon Warrior didn't even have a bad match up against Hunter and I doubt Kindly Grandmother and Barnes will stop Dragon Warrior coming back as the dominant deck once the meta has settled.

Dragon Warrior is still quite popular. New version runs The Curator and Fierce Monkey (beast) for the extra synergy since the other two tribes are already present in the deck.

CoolOff

Love the rant-thread on Reddit this time:

PRIEST IS BAD AND THAT'S GREAT
PRIEST IS BAD AND THAT'S BAD
PRIEST IS GREAT AND THAT'S BAD
PRIEST IS GREAT AND THAT'S GREAT

ZeroX03

Banned
Arena is much closer to Magic's sealed than drafting, and sealed has long been the weaker/luck skewed format.

And the best of sealed is the extensive sideboard and being able to drastically change your deck on the fly. Not a thing in Hearthstone.

inky

I would play Tracking more if it didn't discard the other 2 options. I have it in my LnL Cloaked Huntress deck and usually I want to track into Cloaked Huntress for the combos but sometimes I also get Call of the Wild and man... I do not want one less Call of the Wild.

I see the value in discarding cards too though.

Also according to Heartharena... Firelands Portal is the BEST Common card for Arena. Kripp vindicated!

Better than Flamestrike. That ocurrence bonus... hahahaha, oh Blizzard.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't know why people complain about Yogg. Ok, so it filled up my hand, and cleared the opponent's board, and filled up my board, and buffed all the minions. But it cost 10 mana so it should be good.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Warrior is down because hunter is up. When your worst match up is half the ladder, not much point in playing the class.

I think this is the number 1 reason too.

Sure, warrior doesn't have any new cards worth playing with, but even old decks are now unplayable with so many hunters on the ladder.

I just wonder if hunters will die down after their new cards get less new. They don't seem to have that big of a buff as a class overall this expansion from my experience.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What the hell that's crazy... I did not know about that.

Those balance changes are relevant due to stuff like Freezing Trap and especially Evolve. Now you can feasibly play Violet Teacher in an Evolve deck too because the Apprentices cost 1 mana (and thus will evolve into 2 mana minions).

Isn't evolving a bunch of one mana minions terrible in an evolve deck?

Dahbomb

Isn't evolving a bunch of mana minions terrible in an evolve deck?
It used to be terrible because you were evolving 0 mana minions.... now those 0 mana minions cost 1 mana which means you get 2 cost minions. That's why Onyxia saw play in the deck because the Whelps cost 1 mana.

Unless you mean evolving into 2 mana minions is bad because of Doomsayer then sure but the upgrade is potentially quite big now.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It used to be terrible because you were evolving 0 mana minions.... now those 0 mana minions cost 1 mana which means you get 2 cost minions. That's why Onyxia saw play in the deck because the Whelps cost 1 mana.

Unless you mean evolving into 2 mana minions is bad because of Doomsayer then sure but the upgrade is potentially quite big now.

I did mean the doomsayer problem. I thought onyxia was avoided in evolve decks for that reason, but I've never paid much attention to the archetype.

Isn't evolving a bunch of one mana minions terrible in an evolve deck?

Potentially yes because there is a chance to get a doomsayer(s). Odds are low but it sucks when it happens. I usually like to have one other evolve or the evolve minion before changing a board of tokens. But all of that can too situational. It's why I think more people are going the double pantry spider and tuskar with brann to fill the board and evolve.

Your should get a legendary for getting legend. I mean, it's called fucking legend.

Doesn't have to be golden.
The fact that Duelyst gives a legendary for S-Rank is exactly why I do it every month.

Then again, if Hearthstone gave legendaries for S-Rank, I would feel the need to push for it, and dear god I would hate it.

The fact that Duelyst gives a legendary for S-Rank is exactly why I do it every month.

Then again, if Hearthstone gave legendaries for S-Rank, I would feel the need to push for it, and dear god I would hate it.

Duelyst also lets you put 3 of each legendary in your deck so you need more to finish your collection and pack drop rates appear to be significantly higher (although my last few packs have sucked, so I don't know if they got nerfed or I just got unlucky). Getting a legendary in Duelyst isn't as big of a deal as a legendary in Hearthstone.

Dahbomb

Duelyst also lets you put 3 of each legendary in your deck so you need more to finish your collection and pack drop rates appear to be significantly higher (although my last few packs have sucked, so I don't know if they got nerfed or I just got unlucky). Getting a legendary in Duelyst isn't as big of a deal as a legendary in Hearthstone.
Yeah when it comes to actual value/drop rate and the fact that you can have 3 ofs in a deck means that a Legendary in Duelyst is roughly equivalent to an Epic in Hearthstone. And you get a gold Epic for getting rank 5 in HS which in dust value is equivalent to a Legendary.

That said Duelyst is still less of a requirement to complete your library and you get gold/dust at a faster rate.

Pooya

legendary cards aren't even that useful in Hearthstone, I'm not sure why people still are so fixated on them. Like the only Legendary you might need in your tempo deck you're doomed to play anyway is Ragnaros maybe, plus if the class legendary is useful for it or not, like Grom or Fandral. Like everything else is just fluff at best, unnecessary at most.

Game is really cheap right now. Best decks are like Aggro shaman, 2 epics plus Sir Finley if that counts, lol. Token druid has yogg and Fandral, maybe ancient of wars, those can be replaced honestly. You can build a very strong token druid deck still on budget without any of those. Innervate and wildgrowth are pretty good and free...

Dragon warrior is relatively expensive, alright. but still not too expensive. It's not like you should to go after bad and expensive decks like control paladin and rogue decks right away and keep losing to aggro shaman. Definition of p2l.

I'm just clawing my way up the ladder in TES Legends now as a new player and that game is cheap too but I feel Hearthstone is way way cheaper to play a tier 1 or deck or close to it. You can have multiple copies of same legendary in the deck, really powerful cards like Blood Dragon, (think like Dr. Boom) and decks have 50 cards! I can't even fill my deck right now without putting trash in it lol. And the ranked reward is 3 copies of a single card, it's an epic card plus bunch of gold and dust. TES might seem to give you more rewards than HS but decks are larger and you have 3 copies of each card in your deck, so they have to.

HS is dirt cheap right now compared with everything really.

Magnus

Friends, I just received my Legion CE in the mail and as usual, it comes with 3 free HS packs to redeem. I couldn't redeem the third because I hit my limit of 15 free packs on my BNet account (lol, I buy all Blizzard CEs...), so quote to reveal a free Classic pack, first come first served!

inky

Whenever I spectate someone:

1) they lose
2) they quit the game

There should be like a "phantom spectate" option just so it doesn't pressure players because it actually makes me feel like I burden people when I get the quest. One guy even removed me from his friend list when he was about to lose :(

1) they lose
2) they quit the game

There should be like a "phantom spectate" option just so it doesn't pressure players because it actually makes me feel like I burden people when I get the quest. One guy even removed me from his friend list when he was about to lose :(

Yeah, it really sucks when you're on the receiving end of the god draws and just getting smashed when a spectator pops in. I didn't need anybody to witness me getting turn 4 lethaled. On the flip side, someone started spectating me the other day when I was losing really bad, but I managed to survive with 1 health and no cards left in my deck and in 2 turns killed the other guy from 30 health.

Levi

Banned

1) they lose
2) they quit the game

I am always happy to help spectators, and as long as they will frickin' answer my messages I'll even go fight the innkeeper to get them a quick pack.

People who spectate and don't bother communicating get unfriended. It's not hard to answer a simple, civil question. (generally, "Do you have the quest?")

Levi#1147 on all three servers.

On another note, I generally share my 80G quest with whoever's online, but if you decide to bring aggro Shaman or another tryhard aggro deck to a friendly game it'll be a one and done thing.

patchday

yea tracking isnt used that much for card draw as more of a hey I dont really have a play next turn or let me try and fish for lethal. It's great for discarding crappy cards later in the game like your secrets or huge toad when you dont really want them anymore

I would play Tracking more if it didn't discard the other 2 options. I have it in my LnL Cloaked Huntress deck and usually I want to track into Cloaked Huntress for the combos but sometimes I also get Call of the Wild and man... I do not want one less Call of the Wild.

I see the value in discarding cards too though.

Also according to Heartharena... Firelands Portal is the BEST Common card for Arena. Kripp vindicated!

It is strong and it does see play but Hunter is a tempo class and that 1 mana spent tracking is 1 mana you could be spending doing something like playing a Fiery Bat. Hunter wants to be utilizing all of their mana crystals and they actually don't want to be floating any mana, even 1 mana for a tracking.

Huntress does not demand that much card draw. If you play it in tandem with a single secret you get a huge tempo swing, and you can use stuff like bow durability off secret reveal to make up for low card draw.

Thanks you guys!!! Didnt get a chance to play at all yesterday. Will try to play on my lunch break and later tonight.

Pretty much only saw ressurect. C'thun and dragon priests at ranks 17-16 with the odd hunter thrown in. Started getting mages again and what I think was a renolock at 15.

For me everything but Dragon priest is beatable by forcing them to heal every turn limiting them on how many spells and minions they can use. They deal poorly with freezing trap since they don't tend to play early minions and really can't afford to replay later minions at a higher cost. Still really annoying though and you can't take them for granted.

Dragon priests fuck me up. I can't fight into the dragons and other units and I can't kill them before they kill me. Secrets annoy them but the dragons and other buffed units can handle everything my secret hunter has. Not even call of the wild helps there.

For me the biggest thing when it comes to priests is respecting their aoe potential. I never put everything on the board unless doing so gives me lethal that turn. Same as mage really, you never go all in without same turn lethal becuase they will flamestrike you for getting greedy.

Also idk where shamans went in the last few levels but I see none. Maybe they have all made legend with their nonsense.

Yeah reserect priest kicked my butt so hard. Thanks for the tips. This slight meta shift made a new priest deck in standard it appears.

inky

I am always happy to help spectators, and as long as they will frickin' answer my messages I'll even go fight the innkeeper to get them a quick pack.

People who spectate and don't bother communicating get unfriended. It's not hard to answer a simple, civil question. (generally, "Do you have the quest?")

On another note, I generally share my 80G quest with whoever's online, but if you decide to bring aggro Shaman or another tryhard aggro deck to a friendly game it'll be a one and done thing.

Well, see that's a bit of the thing. I wouldn't want you to go play some other mode to get me a quick pack, just keep doing your thing. The point is I don't want to inconvenience people, but most of the times for me it does really feel like it is what I do. I obviously would answer your message, but I wouldn't message you first if I start spectating as I don't want to be a distraction.

I understand it might add a bit of pressure to perform (believe me, I've had people sit with me through a ~6 game losing streak for the quest), but in my case it seems to add way too much to the point people quit or unfriend me, :lol.

wiibomb

what.. but.. but my dragon warrior deck! D:

same as me, just post here when you need to spectate someone and I'll add you to help

Well, see that's a bit of the thing. I wouldn't want you to go play some other mode to get me a quick pack, just keep doing your thing. The point is I don't want to inconvenience people, but most of the times for me it does really feel like it is what I do. I obviously would answer your message, but I wouldn't message you first if I start spectating as I don't want to be a distraction.

I understand it might add a bit of pressure to perform (believe me, I've had people sit with me through a ~6 game losing streak for the quest), but in my case it seems to add way too much to the point people quit or unfriend me, :lol.

I usually try the first match in play mode, if I lose, I'll try a solo practice to help finish the quest.. spectating also puts a hell lot of pressure on me ha ha

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

1) they lose
2) they quit the game

Somebody tried to tell me it was a bad time to spectate because they were trying out a new deck, and I just told them not to worry about it because I'd just leave spectate on in the background until the quest popped.

Levi

Banned
what.. but.. but my dragon warrior deck! D:

lol. You can play your Dragon Warrior against me anytime. :p

I was just remembering the day I made something like 10 posts in a row about how much I don't like seeing Hunter and someone from Gaf picks Hunter after I offer them 80G.

It was like, really dude?

inky

Somebody tried to tell me it was a bad time to spectate because they were trying out a new deck, and I just told them not to worry about it because I'd just leave spectate on in the background until the quest popped.

I do that too, most of the times. Other times I really do want to see how they approach certain games because I like seeing how other decks I don't play behave.

For the most part, I think it serves its social purpose. Some of my friends (hi Raxus ;P) even start telling me what plays to make, and while I don't always agree, I find that different perspective a net positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom