• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, for example, when I won a versus battle at 1 hp, I got the title "the defiant". Winning without taking damage got me "the untouchable".

Looks like there are around 30-40 titles, each unlocked different ways. Some are completing quests, some are playing cards... one you have to win a game with a 100% premium (aka gold) deck.

It's just a little feature I think hearthstone could use.

They could easily implement this with the opponent scroll wheel too. Instead of "Worthy Opponent" or whatever.

Miletius

Shaman has great diversity right now too. Aggro, midrange, control, totem, evolve.

True. Shaman is in a great place right now too, but I'm hesitant to give them a clean bill of health because shaman was so shit for so long. I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop for shaman.

Levi

Banned
Wow, doing a priest quest on EU, queue up against a golden freeze mage at rank 17.

He Alexed me on turn 8 (Emperor) and I played Priest of the feast and some spells to get back to 22.

He put played two torches and a fireball. I played Justicar and more spells. Healed to 17.

He Pyro blasted my face. Healed back over 20.

He played two more burn spells. I healed again.

He conceded.

Priest of the Feast is really good against freeze mage.

Next game I lost to a face hunter, fuck Priest it fucking sucks.

Dahbomb

Shaman is going to be A LOT worse when the next rotation happens and they don't get amazing stuff in the next two expansions.

No Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Tuskar Totemic, Thunderbluff Valiant, Elemental Destruction, Ancestral Knowledge, Healing Wave, Lava Shock, Fire guard Destroyer, Charged Hammer, Draenie Totem Carver.

Their aggro, Midrange and control game is going to be severely hurt. They will be forced into the Evolve playstyle unless better stuff comes for them.

People forget how many insane cards Shaman has gotten. Their 4 drop slots are so stacked that they don't play Fireguard Destroyer and Master of Evolution...

True. Shaman is in a great place right now too, but I'm hesitant to give them a clean bill of health because shaman was so shit for so long. I guess I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop for shaman.

As of right now, Shaman is on a direct path back to the shitter next year. Hopefully Evolve and Control can survive.

Edit: Actually nevermind about Control. I forget they lose Elemental Destruction and Healing Wave too. Shaman is fucked lol.

Dahbomb

Aggro shaman run 4 board clear now gg blizz

Friggrig aggro deck also had còntrol tool whìle keep smorcìng
Mostly because Blizzard doesn't seem to understand that tempo/decks can also make use of board clears if they are cheap and are asymmetrical. It's why Aggro Paladin run a Consecrate too or how Zoo used to run Shadowflame (still wouldn't be a bad option to be honest).

They need to print more Excavated Evil type clears. That card is great design.

Levi

Banned
Went 5-1 with this janky control priest deck on EU doing a quest. (I'm still 200G short there for the last wing of Kara).

fmWklKD.png

Apparently my win condition is making my opponent concede when I am constantly healing out of range. I even made a "concede shaman" concede, that was a fun game.

So the concede Shaman played a turn two Totem Golem.. I had the coin so I played the same thing against him:

no0NC44.jpg

I didn't really feel satisfied with my homemade Golem so I decided to get my own;

jFFCGuB.jpg

Never have I been more upset that Anduin's supremely shitty sounding "Sorry" emote was nerfed.

He hexed my Priest of the Feast and ended up conceding when he was in top deck mode, I had a full hand, and my Ysera was stuck to the board for 3 turns.

I forgot how much I enjoyed playing as Priest.

Most of the decks I hate playing against, such as Hunter, I also hate piloting, but Priest is asymmetrical. I enjoy playing as them but I hate playing against them.

EDIT:

I forgot I took a screenshot of the Freeze Mage I made concede. This screenshot is after they played Alexstraza on turn 8 and hit me with two Fireballs, a Pyroblast, two forgotten Torches and a Roaring Torch, plus they pinged my face pretty much every turn.

Pp40KUH.jpg

Oh, and the secret I have up? A thoughtstolen Ice Block. :D

V-Faction

As of right now, Shaman is on a direct path back to the shitter next year. Hopefully Evolve and Control can survive.

Edit: Actually nevermind about Control. I forget they lose Elemental Destruction and Healing Wave too. Shaman is fucked lol.

This is what sucks when you piecemeal tech cards and then have something like standard. It's why Priest got hit so hard because some staple tools, like early minions and board clears, just ended up being in an outdated set.

No one wants reprints, either, I don't think. I'm sure Blizzard doesn't want them in any case. Sooooo what to do when some blatant tech cards (like heals and draw mechanics) are phasing out? I guess they develop more overpowered cards to supplement niche themes (aka Discard, Resurrect, Burgle, Beast, etc.)

Levi

Banned
Tempo storm has tempo mage at tier one. Seems weird but what do i know. I guess i have to try the babbling book out.

LOL Tempostorm.

I really don't feel like that deck is tier one. It's so swingy. You win every time if you draw your early minions and then your burn in the right order, but fuck that up and aggressive and midrange decks just roll over you.

I had a Mage quest on NA and it was painful trying to get 5 wins with Tempo Mage. I either blew them out (one win was on turn 5 or 6) or I ran out of cards and died.

Mostly because Blizzard doesn't seem to understand that tempo/decks can also make use of board clears if they are cheap and are asymmetrical. It's why Aggro Paladin run a Consecrate too or how Zoo used to run Shadowflame (still wouldn't be a bad option to be honest).

They need to print more Excavated Evil type clears. That card is great design.

No it's not, Excavated Evil is the closest to opponent discard Hearthstone has.

Salex_

Can we please remove this shitty card from the game? He had 1 card in his hand, I had board control, and was 1 turn away from a win...until Yogg. I can't see this card being in Standard for 1 year and a half.

Which is why it's amazing.

Has the triple aggro punish of messing with their draw and being an asymmetrical clear that if they use you get another clear in your deck.
It is amazing but we hardly need more of it. That's like saying we need more board freezes for all classes because that's oh so fun and interactive

wiibomb

ladder is pretty brutal right now, huh? There are top tier decks here... the ones I find from pro streamers on the legend ranks

Yogg played Sense Demons into a Renounce Darkness which gave them both Gang Up and a Shadowcaster to give them four more Yoggs.

Now that was a fun game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Shaman is going to be A LOT worse when the next rotation happens and they don't get amazing stuff in the next two expansions.

No Tunnel Trogg, Totem Golem, Tuskar Totemic, Thunderbluff Valiant, Elemental Destruction, Ancestral Knowledge, Healing Wave, Lava Shock, Fire guard Destroyer, Charged Hammer, Draenie Totem Carver.

Their aggro, Midrange and control game is going to be severely hurt. They will be forced into the Evolve playstyle unless better stuff comes for them.

People forget how many insane cards Shaman has gotten. Their 4 drop slots are so stacked that they don't play Fireguard Destroyer and Master of Evolution...

Healing Wave and Elemental Destruction is going to hurt me the most. Control shaman isn't even that good to begin with, and it'd fall apart without those two cards.

On the plus side, the rotation will create a lot more reason to play wild. Other than secret paladin, hobgoblin, and mech decks, there weren't many other wild specific archetypes to play around with, and often turned into just making the decks that are good in Standard but stuffing them with the added OP cards of Shredder, Blecher, and Boom. A lot of the big archetypes of the past that died out came from nerfing, not rotation.

Wild will become more and more differentiated as more stuff gets cycled out. Only question is if it can remain healthy enough without much balancing.

Pooya

they are not going to print early game for shaman again, just like with paladins, they are going to push something else. So far looks like spellpower and totems. Totems will be worthless without thunder bluff valiant though. I think that's out too. They have so many good cards still just waiting to be played. I think it will be fine.

Now for rogue after tomb pillager goes away, you might as well rotate out the class lol.

Dahbomb

Kripp's last 10 arena opponents:

Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Rogue
Mage
Mage
And the occurrence bonus for Firelands Portal isn't active yet.

I actually don't understand how there are that many Mages in Arena. That shouldn't be possible given that a lot of times you will not have the option to pick Mage. It must mean that every other class is getting slaughtered or people are just retiring their decks if they don't see Mage.

Like it's not possible for Blizzard to mess this up even worse than that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Kripp's last 10 arena opponents:

Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Mage
Rogue
Mage
Mage

https://twitter.com/Kripparrian/status/770526285995147264

Remember the good old days when we were complaining about arena being all paladin, rogue, and mage?

Now it looks like it's just Mage, with a little Rogue and paladin barely hanging in there.

And the occurrence bonus for Firelands Portal isn't active yet.

I actually don't understand how there are that many Mages in Arena. That shouldn't be possible given that a lot of times you will not have the option to pick Mage. It must mean that every other class is getting slaughtered or people are just retiring their decks if they don't see Mage.

Like it's not possible for Blizzard to mess this up even worse than that.

Basically. I don't think you could see more than 33% mages through just people spamming mage picks if win rates were all 50/50, unless people are like hitting the retire button.

Raxus

https://twitter.com/Kripparrian/status/770526285995147264

Remember the good old days when we were complaining about arena being all paladin, rogue, and mage?

Now it looks like it's just Mage, with a little Rogue and paladin barely hanging in there.

Basically. I don't think you could see more than 33% mages through just people spamming mage picks if win rates were all 50/50, unless people are like hitting the retire button.
At this point Blizzard just has to completely reformat arena. I haven't touched that shit since the expansion.

Dahbomb

Should be noted in that Kripp run that all of his losses in that run were with the coin.

That run could easily have been 3-3 instead of all those firsts if he went second.

Class balance is a concern but heavy tempo dominance AND first vs second advantage are even bigger issues that need addressing.

Kripp : "Arena is like the asshole of Hearthstone. You are constantly hoping you don't get ****ed over by Blizzard but you get ****ed anyway".

KuroNeeko

Got an 80g quest. Anyone?

tmpst#1367 (NA)

Sure, mayne. I'll play!
candyFrog#1327 (invite sent)

edit: Pwned. ಥ╭╮ಥ

they are not going to print early game for shaman again, just like with paladins, they are going to push something else. So far looks like spellpower and totems. Totems will be worthless without thunder bluff valiant though. I think that's out too. They have so many good cards still just waiting to be played. I think it will be fine.

Now for rogue after tomb pillager goes away, you might as well rotate out the class lol.

Don't say that, mayne. I just got my gold VanCleef.

Finally, after waiting so long, I can finally play Rogue (with 2 preps, BM Thalnos, and VC).

Pooya

in TES Legends second player gets 3! coins, you can only use one per turn. That game is quite aggressive and tempo based too but there are so many comebacks possible and going face has serious repercussions. I like how back and forth games can be, it never happens in Hearthstone, you just get rolled right in turn 1-4 or the other way around, comebacks are rare. The core mechanics are broken, stronger cards just exposed it more than ever overtime.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Should be noted in that Kripp run that all of his losses in that run were with the coin.

That run could easily have been 3-3 instead of all those firsts if he went second.

Class balance is a concern but heavy tempo dominance AND first vs second advantage are even bigger issues that need addressing.

Kripp : "Arena is like the asshole of Hearthstone. You are constantly hoping you don't get ****ed over by Blizzard but you get ****ed anyway".

Those might be bigger problems, but they're also harder problems to solve.

All Blizzard had to do to avoid the class balance problem was adjust the rarities for their adventure where rarities don't matter at all until 2 years in the future when stuff can get dusted. If they can't even do that much, you might as well abandon all hope for those other fixes.

in TES Legends second player gets 3! coins, you can only use one per turn. That game is quite aggressive and tempo based too but there are so many comebacks possible and going face has serious repercussions. I like how back and forth games can be, it never happens in Hearthstone, you just get rolled right in turn 1-4 or the other way around, comebacks are rare. The core mechanics are broken, stronger cards just exposed it more than ever overtime.

It works pretty well too.

In that game the faster deck with a perfect curve might want to have the coin for getting the quicker 2, 3, and 4 mana play, but after that the other side gets to have the mana advantage the rest of the game to catch up with, and they still get to play the first card at 1 mana.

Mechanically they could add it by just changing the coin text to something like "Coin of the Arena - Gain 1 mana this turn only. Draw a Coin at the end of the turn."

fertygo

Pretty sure I only play from behind with all deck that I like to play

Token Druid
Renolock
Non dragon tempo warrior

even frigging Priest is the aggressor now smh

He basically said the same thing. He said that was a 4-5 win deck that took advantage of going first, and two of his losses could have been wins if he went first

TES Legends also has a different mana scale. It doesn't just stop at 10 mana, you keep getting max mana after 10. So that going first bonus has an even bigger impact than it'll have in hearthstone.

I think it's a bit early to tell how legends will play in a few months from now. But so far I definitely agree that comebacks feel like they are more possible because it seems like a wider variety of mechanics work. They also have more taunt cards and healing cards than hearthstone has (ever had?). Drain is a keyword and can be found on multiple cards. I had a game last night where I was being smorc'd hard but then played that green legend you get from leveling, it's a 4/4 with with pilfer +4/+4 and drain. So first attack gave me 4 health, then 8, then 12, I went from being almost dead (~10hp) to 40 hp.

I think blizzard just needs to really just make more card variety competitive, and perhaps a little bit less on the tempo/aggro as well. We still have a week left and zoo's getting a powerful 1 drop... a powerful 1 drop, and back in classic they actually had to nerf two 1 drops because warlock had too many strong 1 drops. And in 2016 they get possessed villager and malchezzar's imp.

No healbot types, no strong board clears, but we did at least get curator. Hell, maybe they'll give rogue a drain type minion. They printed one for warlock in gvg.

Xanathus

I kinda like Legends but I didn't want to put any money into it and the daily quests are actually harder to complete than Hearthstone's because instead of say having to get 3 wins with X & Y class, you have to get 3 wins with a specific combination of colors. So if you need to play a deck that has red & purple cards and you don't have any good purple cards then it becomes difficult to complete them. Doesn't help that people at the lowest rank on ladder (literally rank 25 equivalent) are already playing netdecks at launch. Also I didn't want to have multiple F2P games with daily quests to juggle.

Pooya

I kinda like Legends but I didn't want to put any money into it and the daily quests are actually harder to complete than Hearthstone's because instead of say having to get 3 wins with X & Y class, you have to get 3 wins with a specific combination of colors. So if you need to play a deck that has red & purple cards and you don't have any good purple cards then it becomes difficult to complete them. Doesn't help that people at the lowest rank on ladder (literally rank 25 equivalent) are already playing netdecks at launch. Also I didn't want to have multiple F2P games with daily quests to juggle.

They have a solo Arena mode, it's so cool for someone just starting like myself, get loads of rewards and see what's possible in the game. It seems far easier to start than hearthstone to me.

All it takes to grind ladder is one decent archer deck too, it seems so OP. I'm slowly building it to the tier 1 list, still waaays to go but the core of the deck is so strong and most of the cards you just get in the start for free. Soulrest/Yarl combo if you pull it off it's gg and it's not hard to pull off at all.

edit: you can't? I'm pretty sure it worked the other day, I'm still new I guess.

Guys, I'm confused.

When and what sets will be rotated out of Standard next? Is it just Blackrock Mountain?

Not even for quite a while. Probably 6-8 months. I think it's a safe assumption that they'll be following a similar release schedule each year. Whispers came out at the end of April. So if they follow a similar schedule ~8 months.

ZeroX03

Banned
Was on a good win streak (7~8) with Aggro Shaman, only to screw it up because I wasn't paying attention to my Doomhammer while I had 2x Rockbiter in hand and wore out the durability. Whoops. Got the streak back immediately fortunately.

Should be easy to make rank 5 before the season is over. End of month + new expansion = some weird decks going around. Also people playing Priest smh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom