• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Me = Tempo Mage, Opponent = Druid

Me Turn 1: Babbling Book -> Arcane Missles
Druid Turn 1: Living Roots, summon two dudes
Me Turn 2: Babbling Book -> Spellbender. Cast Arcane Missles to kill his two dudes. Book goes face
Druid Turn 2: Druid of the Saber in Stealth Mode
Me Turn 3: Cast Spellbender
Druid Turn 3: Mark of Y'Spellbender is a 3/5 now

Druid concedes.

Well, this was a fun arena run... (was playing as priest)

muVuSza.jpg

Every single of those mages that i went 2nd against, had zombie chow in opening hand. Its a miracle I even managed to win a couple of those match ups.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Me = Tempo Mage, Opponent = Druid

Me Turn 1: Babbling Book -> Arcane Missles
Druid Turn 1: Living Roots, summon two dudes
Me Turn 2: Babbling Book -> Spellbender. Cast Arcane Missles to kill his two dudes. Book goes face
Druid Turn 2: Druid of the Saber in Stealth Mode
Me Turn 3: Cast Spellbender
Druid Turn 3: Mark of Y'Spellbender is a 3/5 now

Druid concedes.

Spells are fun

SO FUN

Did he end up drawing a card from Mark? Curious since the original target was a beast.

Levi

Banned
Shaman opponent is at ten health, and I have no cards as a Dragon Warrior with Mage Hero power. He has lethal over two turns. My only way to not lose is to top deck Grommash or Deathwing.

He rolls a taunt totem and I'm about to rage, as that counters my Grommash out.

He evolves his board and ends up with zero taunts.

I top deck Grommash and win the game.

I'm very happy I could punish that terrible misplay. Sometimes there is justice in the world.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My finger is hovering over the craft button for Thalnos, but I can never make the decision.

It is either Thalnos/2x Doomsayers, or 2x Twilight Drakes to make a lame-o dragon warrior, or Twin Emps to start building a C'thun warrior (though would still be missing Shield slams, a brawl and Justicar so a ways to go there).

Levi

Banned
My finger is hovering over the craft button for Thalnos, but I can never make the decision.

It is either Thalnos/2x Doomsayers, or 2x Twilight Drakes to make a lame-o dragon warrior, or Twin Emps to start building a C'thun warrior (though would still be missing Shield slams, a brawl and Justicar so a ways to go there).

Check out the Cycle Cthun variant, much, much cheaper to craft and most pros consider it superior to the control version in the current meta.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/611667-kolentos-cycle-cthun-warrior

It plays like the otk warrior decks, you aggressively draw cards so you can play C'thun early and then if that doesn't kill them you play an Emperor reduced Brann/Doomcaller turn to put two more C'thuns in your deck.

Worse against control but better vs midrange and tempo.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Check out the Cycle Cthun variant, much, much cheaper to craft and most pros consider it superior to the control version in the current meta.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/611667-kolentos-cycle-cthun-warrior

It plays like the otk warrior decks, you aggressively draw cards so you can play C'thun early and then if that doesn't kill them you play an Emperor reduced Brann/Doomcaller turn to put two more C'thuns in your deck.

Worse against control but better vs midrange and tempo.

Yeah, all I need for that one is Twin Emps, but I think I would rather screw around with the blood warriors arcane giants deck than that one. Getting your Cthun transformed or stolen by some damn dirty priest seems like the worst thing in the world with that deck.

Levi

Banned
Yeah, all I need for that one is Twin Emps, but I think I would rather screw around with the blood warriors arcane giants deck than that one. Getting your Cthun transformed or stolen by some damn dirty priest seems like the worst thing in the world with that deck.

Honestly Hex or entomb or Tinkmaster Sylvanas or polymorph hard counters every cthun warrior deck, unless you forgo Doomcaller and run Elise instead, and that's just a worse endgame than 3 C'thuns.

In control C'thun I would wait to play C'thun until I had enough armor and either the coin or an Emperor discount, that way I could shield slam my own cthun the turn I played him against classes that had the tools to transform or steal C'thun.

Also, killing your own C'thun is just cool. It's alpha as fuck and makes your opponent regret holding Hex or Shield Slam/Sylvanas or whatever the whole game waiting to disrupt your win condition.

wiibomb

I was coming here to say that I'm at the crafting button for Call of The Wild... I can tolerate no more of this injustice! so I'm thinking of joining... I'm still so undecided

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I was coming here to say that I'm at the crafting button for Call of The Wild... I can tolerate no more of this injustice! so I'm thinking of joining... I'm still so undecided

It's a pretty fun deck and super cheap to basically have the best possible version.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
and I'm not wrong about thinking this card alone will be running in the future decks of hunter, right? seems like it is very valuable now

COTW will be auto include in every non face hunter deck until it rotates out. And face decks are anti fun.

wiibomb

COTW will be auto include in every non face hunter deck until it rotates out. And face decks are anti fun.

just checked some decks and it seems pretty cheap to craft... they were even some fun secret hunter decks that seem pretty fun to play.

when I finish Karazhan I'll make the decks, I'll wait for all this ladder madness to calm down

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Kripp made an interesting connection between Mage dominance in arena and the win percentage with coin.

All of Mage's most OP cards are fairly high mana cost, so the best way to beat them is to rush them before they can play those OP cards. But it's much, much harder to rush them down if you're going second.

Other classes don't really have a clock until Flamestrike or Firelands Portal you have to worry about, so going first isn't as big of a requirement.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
...You know, I can't say Druid is working very well for me anymore with the ladder full of Shamans and Hunters.

Maybe I'm just being really dumb with how I'm playing it, but it used to go super well for me, and definitely does not feel like the second strongest deck in the game.

Miletius

I managed to climb to 5 with Beast and Token druid, so I do think YMMV. My matches against hunter in particular seem to go really well, especially with beast druid. Against Shaman it's trickier, but it depends a lot if you can ramp early (seems to always be that way)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I managed to climb to 5 with Beast and Token druid, so I do think YMMV. My matches against hunter in particular seem to go really well, especially with beast druid. Against Shaman it's trickier, but it depends a lot if you can ramp early (seems to always be that way)

I should clarify that I was using Token Druid. Beast might not be a bad switch.

Miletius

I should clarify that I was using Token Druid. Beast might not be a bad switch.

Beast is good in this meta I think, because it runs a lot of hard to interact with (or sticky minions). I've been running the version with curator (so, Sir Finley and Azure Drakes) and it's been doing work. I subbed out a few cards for 2x raven idol as well, and I really like it because it gives you the flexibility to find a spell that you need, rather than relying on your deck to find it.

Honestly I don't even know if curator is worth it, but I'm not sure what to put it's it's place. Maybe Brann and Abusive sarges...hah.

Dahbomb

I hope you aren't trying to say that this is going to be a thing.
I am not but people might try it on ladder and there might be some half way point where people play a Beast + combo Druid deck where they have the early game aggression plus draws and then a late game finisher.

Like you are just adding double Abusive (which aggro Beast Druids already run at least one of), Emperor and a Bran... the rest of the stuff are already in Beast Druid.

I think token druid is better. Sure beast druid is strong but even when you've lost as token druid, you still have an out in yogg saron. And as far as them having a couple hard to interact cards, token druid can create hard to interact boards that hit quicker than stranglethorn copying does.

Maybe beast druid is easier to pilot? I'd go with whichever is more fun to pilot, usually the more complex for me.

I am not but people might try it on ladder and there might be some half way point where people play a Beast + combo Druid deck where they have the early game aggression plus draws and then a late game finisher.

Like you are just adding double Abusive (which aggro Beast Druids already run at least one of), Emperor and a Bran... the rest of the stuff are already in Beast Druid.

That's a lot of changes for a pie in the sky combo. I bet that guy tried hard af to make it work in ranked and he did it against a dragon mage of all decks. And it required him to cycle through his entire deck before he could pull it off.

This is about as likely as priest OTKs using innerfire and divine spirit plus faceless. Other decks just do it about 100x more reliably.

squidyj

I don't see it working really.

it's like you go into the match "I'm gonna play a combo!" and by the end you've spent all your combo pieces as individual cards because that was what you needed to do. meanwhile there was never a really good turn for you to drop emp on.

way too many cards, too much mana, too much space on board for even a 12 point double abusive menagerie (4 cards) or brann abusive menagerie (again 4 cards) for 18.

Xanathus

I played Beast Druid where I cut out token stuff like Violet Teachers and Savage Roar, and put in a late-game finisher with Ragnaros. It's decent, pretty much just like any curve deck. The only unfairness comes on whether or not I get Innervate.

Dahbomb

I mean obviously it's not good, I was just showing a proof of concept, like a "oh that's neat, you can do that".

I think there might be some merit in adding in Brann to the Beast Curator Druid deck though.

zoukka

I think there might be some merit in adding in Brann to the Beast Curator Druid deck though.

I think turns 9 and 10 for Brann value are way too slow for that deck (midrange) unless you luck out with an innervate or two. Warden is bombastic, but not that bombastic to justify brann. Curator already gives you insane value so do you really need a few more card draw with brann (not to mention, he might not be able to pull any more dragons/murlocs from the deck due to thinning).

Deck just needs more beast synergy to justify the beasts over token build.

ZeroX03

Banned
Beast Druid is fine for laddering. Fast. Strong. Easy to play. Token's better.

But from my experience Beast Druid is not quite as consistent as midrange Hunter or aggro/mid Shaman. You can pull some busted combos with Innervate and Tiger Warden is terrifying, but you can't do those every game and they can be dead draws late game compared to something like Highmane or Call which don't require another card and are always strong.

zoukka

Problem with Tiger+warden is the tiger. Tiger is not a good card on its own. You are not happy to play it on curve. And if you are facing a deck that goes face, it's even worse since the warden gives you absolutely no value on turn 6 and turn 7 you might be dead.

zoukka

the problem is you invested a ton of mana in a board that A) can just be wrathed and B) doesn't have taunt.

Yes, the taunt is critical. Warden can give you 6-mana 10/10 stats. But when you think about it, Ancient of War gives you 7-mana 5/10 taunt. Without conditions, that can be innervated.

Warden was the most overhyped card in the set.

ZeroX03

Banned
Warden just sucks without Tiger, and Tiger isn't good* without Warden. Warden is too expensive to play with as a single turn combo with anything more than a 1 or 2 cost card, and no smart player is going to let something big like a Druid of the Claw survive to let you clone it. Warden on 6 without a beast is a really bad draw.

*I like Tiger on his own, sort of. More in Hunter than Druid. Kodo and Rhino have a bit more utility in the 5 slot though.

fertygo

All of Dragon Warrior that adding Curator felt downgrade their deck

let face reality your deck is super dumb deck, no need to use value battle tool.. your degenerate topdeck is enough

Dahbomb

Warden just sucks without Tiger, and Tiger isn't good* without Warden.
This is not true in the slightest. Warden is still insane on a Savage Combatant/Druid of the Claw and on a smaller minion buffed by Mark. And Tiger itself is a solid card as well. The Aggro Beast Druid runs like 6 stealth minions, you are very likely to hit a target with the Warden.

Beast Druid is obviously a very strong deck, Warden has carried that deck to at least tier 2 caliber.

It's not really a 1 to 1 comparison with Ancient of War either. For one, Menagerie fits better in an aggressive/midrange style deck because it can produce two bodies which means Savage Roar/Power of the Wild synergy. It also comes out one turn earlier and is less susceptible to hard removal.

I finally got some stupid shit to work after about a year of trying.

Coldarra Drake, Fallen Hero x 2, and Maiden of the Lake all on the board. Burned my opponent down with just my hero power. Granted he was a beginner, but I feel like I can now delete this worthless deck.

zoukka

This is not true in the slightest. Warden is still insane on a Savage Combatant/Druid of the Claw and on a smaller minion buffed by Mark. And Tiger itself is a solid card as well. The Aggro Beast Druid runs like 6 stealth minions, you are very likely to hit a target with the Warden.

Warden is not "insane" on smaller beasts. It becomes a faceless summoner which is borderline playable. In my (short) experience with the deck I never got to duplicate a combatant or druid of the claw. They are simply just removed and if they aren't, I'm already winning without warden anyways.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got some stupid shit to work after about a year of trying.

Coldarra Drake, Fallen Hero x 2, and Maiden of the Lake all on the board. Burned my opponent down with just my hero power. Granted he was a beginner, but I feel like I can now delete this worthless deck.

Now instead of Fallen Hero, do it as Ragnaros with Majordomo Executus.

Of course my golden legendary is this

nerf pls

Oh my. I'm quite jealous of that. Think of all the gold spells.

Been playing Token Druid a lot lately. I had to craft Onyxia but I don't feel too bad about crafting classic set cards. It's a really strong deck. Raven Idol has saved me loads of times lately. It feels really strong since you'll almost always have a board and it's not that hard to pull Savage Roar, Wisps of the Old Gods or Power of the Wild for scumbag lethal. I used to always Idol for minions but spells is the way to go most of the time, I see that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom