• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I could ever play a full-blown Control Priest just for this reason. I love drawing cards. Even when I'm in Warrior mirrors, I think "Okay, I'll just use Battle Rage to draw these 5 cards and overwhelm him". I'm always wrong and die to fatigue, but that doesn't stop me from making the mistake again! :p

You're a blue mage, drawing cards is the meaning of life. It might take multiple lifetimes but eventually everyone becomes a blue mage.

Celegus

I think dat dragon priest is getting really popular. already met 2 today on the ladder.

There a list for that somewhere? I got three priest quests and can't win a single game with the decks I have. Went like 0-7 yesterday trying to clear these, hate priest so much.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Wish they'd get rid of ooze, and then replace it with a neutral card beyond Harrison.

Card dynamics on Ooze are fucked cause at 2 mana it's a dead draw many times which fucks up your curve.

Levi

Banned
Decided to do my mage quest in standard. You guys don't want to play wild "cuz piloted shredder" but I'd rather see Piloted Shredder all day every day than have every single game start with my opponent playing Turn One Tunnel Trogg.

BrokeBack Shaman is so tilting, because you lose if you don't have removal in your opening hand. Play a two drop, it get's rockbitered or they hide their Trogg behind Feral Spirits. You literally have to have a weapon or spell in your opening hand or you lose the game.

Fun and Interactive

wiibomb

there isn't a 3-X charge able to deal with that trogg? or may be something to silence it... or may be a secret..

sounds like it can be dealt with, it just happens that most decks are built one way and are difficult to adjust to other circumstantial happenings.

kinda lika rock-paper-scissors, good against this.. bad against that

Keasar

Met a Magni Bronzebeard player who had a almost fully gold card deck who just whipped out 4 gold legendaries on me and beat me 30 - 0.....
Some people have way too much fucking disposable income and/or time to have the responsibility of having either.

I just can't for the life of me figure it out, I try all kinds of combinations but my Shaman deck is a fucking failure every time. I've tried totems, I've tried Overload, Murlocs, try to build a balanced deck to be ready for anything, I even spent a lot of my enchantment powder whatever getting some extra C'thun cards to see if I was missing out on some meta since 90% of all players I meet seem to roll a C'thun deck. I have won two times out of 12 attempts with different stuff and those players seemed to just be either unlucky or really, really bad.

I feel miserable now.

Met a Magni Bronzebeard player who had a almost fully gold card deck who just whipped out 4 gold legendaries on me and beat me 30 - 0.....
Some people have way too much fucking disposable income and/or time to have the responsibility of having either.

I just can't for the life of me figure it out, I try all kinds of combinations but my Shaman deck is a fucking failure every time. I've tried totems, I've tried Overload, Murlocs, try to build a balanced deck to be ready for anything, I even spent a lot of my enchantment powder whatever getting some extra C'thun cards to see if I was missing out on some meta since 90% of all players I meet seem to roll a C'thun deck. I have won two times out of 12 attempts with different stuff and those players seemed to just be either unlucky or really, really bad.

I feel miserable now.

It might be a good idea to post your deck list and let some of the people here suggest some changes. You should also watch some pro players on YouTube or Twitch so you can learn some high level play. It might also help to add some people to your friends list to spectate and possibly have them spectate you.

Anilones

I played against my first (that I can recall) Gold Coin opponent yesterday after over a year of playing. I was using Levi's Priest deck and it felt so good dealing with everything that they could play (I love this deck, although games do take quite a while, as it simply nullifies everything which the opponent plays.)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Decided to do my mage quest in standard. You guys don't want to play wild "cuz piloted shredder" but I'd rather see Piloted Shredder all day every day than have every single game start with my opponent playing Turn One Tunnel Trogg.

BrokeBack Shaman is so tilting, because you lose if you don't have removal in your opening hand. Play a two drop, it get's rockbitered or they hide their Trogg behind Feral Spirits. You literally have to have a weapon or spell in your opening hand or you lose the game.

Fun and Interactive

Atleast this stuff is dependable. I lost the last two games to a yogg that blew up my board and gave the opponents a bunch of secrets and cards...that card is nearing the top of my all time shitlist lately.

Levi

Banned
there isn't a 3-X charge able to deal with that trogg? or may be something to silence it... or may be a secret..

sounds like it can be dealt with, it just happens that most decks are built one way and are difficult to adjust to other circumstantial happenings.

kinda lika rock-paper-scissors, good against this.. bad against that

There are plenty of cards that can deal with Trogg.. most of them cost two or three mana, so using it on a 1-drop is a tempo loss (unless it's a War Axe) and that's IF you happen to draw those cards in your opening hand.

I just can't wrap my head around Blizzard constantly coming out with these over-powered one-drops that have the potential to decide games on turn one.

Atleast this stuff is dependable. I lost the last two games to a yogg that blew up my board and gave the opponents a bunch of secrets and cards...that card is nearing the top of my all time shitlist lately.

Oh, I had a game won vs a mage who was at 3 health with no cards in hand. Drops Yogg, draws a bunch of cards, heals, buffs their Yogg to 14 and then gives it Windfury. I had 24 health, card advantage, and l lost. Literally none of the turns before Yogg was played mattered to the outcome whatsoever.

There is literally no way to play around Yogg, which makes it a badly designed card.

wiibomb

There are plenty of cards that can deal with Trogg.. most of them cost two or three mana, so using it on a 1-drop is a tempo loss (unless it's a War Axe) and that's IF you happen to draw those cards in your opening hand.

I just can't wrap my head around Blizzard constantly coming out with these over-powered one-drops that have the potential to decide games on turn one.

some how I feel that card should be nerfed to a 2 health, same as the mana wyrm, which I love, but I know it is quite a threat if I manage to draw it alongside the mirror images

Levi

Banned
Wild meta snapshot

Dragon Priest
Secret Paladin
Freeze Mage
Handlock
Patron Warrior

Not sure how the list is determined or who the author is.

No mention of N'zoth Priest, N'zoth Control Warrior, N'zoth Deathrattle Hunter, or Tempo Mage? I've played 50 wild games this season, and I've seen zero Dragon Priests, 4 Secret Pallys, 1 Freeze Mage, 1 Handlock and zero Patron Warriors. The decks I listed are way more common than any he listed with the exception of Secret Pally. (At least climbing from 20 to 13).

Levi

Banned
What would a wild freeze mage look like?

The one I played against wasn't using any new cards. It was the Forgotten Torch version that was being used in tournaments pre-standard.

I took him to fatigue and he had to concede with his block unpopped because he was dead to fatigue damage next turn. I love to punish Freeze Mages.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder where that supposedly super powerful N'Zoth Priest deck in Wild is on that report. I thought people were over the moon for that thing, but maybe it ended up not being so great vs the standard Dragon Priest list.

Priest might as well be a wild only class at this point anyhow.

Levi

Banned
I wonder where that supposedly super powerful N'Zoth Priest deck in Wild is on that report. I thought people were over the moon for that thing, but maybe it ended up not being so great vs the standard Dragon Priest list.

Priest might as well be a wild only class at this point anyhow.

N'Zoth Priest is definitely tier one in Wild. The fact that this guy doesn't even list it discredits the whole list, in my opinion.

Wild meta snapshot

Dragon Priest
Secret Paladin
Freeze Mage
Handlock
Patron Warrior

I think he is just talking. I hit rank 5 in Wild last season, and I have not seen one Handlock or Patron Warrior.

However, Tempo Mage is everywhere, as is Control Priest. Zoolock is popular, and Aggro Shaman is around.

No mention of N'zoth Priest, N'zoth Control Warrior, N'zoth Deathrattle Hunter, or Tempo Mage? I've played 50 wild games this season, and I've seen zero Dragon Priests, 4 Secret Pallys, 1 Freeze Mage, 1 Handlock and zero Patron Warriors. The decks I listed are way more common than any he listed with the exception of Secret Pally. (At least climbing from 20 to 13).
I haven't fought a N'Zoth Hunter or Warrior yet, personally. I mostly play Freeze Mage, and I am the only one I have faced.

Secret Paladin is undoubtedly #1, though.

"Dragon Priest"
Maybe in a pre-OG reality lmao
Dragon Priest is very strong in Wild.

I remember I planned on playing wild... that was before they gutted oil rogue which was one of my favorite decks to play pre-wotg.

I might try playing today as tempo mage, cause mad scientist is still presumably as strong as ever.

I think I'll be more interested in playing wild as time passes. I still am not bored of standard yet anyway.

Nordicus

Got a pretty fun Arena run since I actually managed to make a solid Pirate Rogue deck. Although my hand did get a bit clogged up with combo cards at times.

6-3, 6 of my opponents were mages

Dahbomb

Wild meta snapshot

Dragon Priest
Secret Paladin
Freeze Mage
Handlock
Patron Warrior

This list is worse than the actual Standard list.

Handlock/Renolock is not that top in Wild. Nzoth Priest/Hunter are really strong in it. Dragon Priest while good is certainly not tier 1 in it. Hell Tempo Mage is better than Dragon Priest.

Secret Paladin should belong in its own tier 0 for Wild as well.

That said the Wild meta is definitely healthier than the one in Standard. For one there are more viable classes in Wild, Priest and Paladin actually are relevant in Wild (Rogue and Druids suck in both, you can tell they got hit by the nerfs). Not only are there more classes in Wild but there are more archetypes per class that are stronger. I mean yeah you have to deal with Dr Boom, Shredder and Secret Paladin... but the existence of these cards does not create mass imbalances in the classes and archetypes. With stuff like Belcher and Healbot available, you can at least try to play the slow game.

As of right now, Blizzard has failed with their Standard change in my eyes. We'll see how things shape up with more cards introduced into Standard but if you think the change for Wild increased diversity then I got news for you.

Levi

Banned
This list is worse than the actual Standard list.

Handlock/Renolock sucks in Wild. Nzoth Priest/Hunter are the really strong in it. Dragon Priest while good is certainly not tier 1 in it. Hell Tempo Mage is better than Dragon Priest.

Secret Paladin should belong in its own tier 0 for Wild as well.

Yeah, the more I think about the more I'm convinced whoever wrote this didn't actual play any games.

I remember I planned on playing wild... that was before they gutted oil rogue which was one of my favorite decks to play pre-wotg.

I might try playing today as tempo mage, cause mad scientist is still presumably as strong as ever.

I think I'll be more interested in playing wild as time passes. I still am not bored of standard yet anyway.
I have played against two Oil Rogues in Wild, so maybe it isn't completely dead there.

You're a blue mage, drawing cards is the meaning of life. It might take multiple lifetimes but eventually everyone becomes a blue mage.
I am a Red Mage who wants access to level 9 spells, sir.

This is strange. I cleared my quests a few days ago. I didn't log in at all yesterday. I log in today and only have 1 quest. I should have 3.

I have played against two Oil Rogues in Wild, so maybe it isn't completely dead there.

Oil rogue without blade flurry isn't oil rogue. Since blade flurry no longer exists in a state that remotely functions as it used to, oil rogue is officially dead forever.

Early-season in the low ranks of Standard are just C'thun decks everywhere.

C'thun Priest
C'thun Shaman
C'thun Druid

Same curves all the time too.

bunbun777

I think most players that have been around since beta had realistic expectations for the way standard would shape up. I mean the card pool is now more limited, just because they remove some bombs that doesn't mean anything is going to be more varied. The most value cards are always going to rise to the top and overshadow other archtypes. At least in wild you have more options and hopefully more variance so that the most dominant decks are a bit diluted.
Imagine by some amazing grace all classes were on equal footing and could somehow counter each other more than what we see now. Then all we'd have left to bitch about would be unlucky card draws and rng that somehow was more unfair for us and less unfair for our opponents. I'm not sure that homogenized of a card pool would honestly be any more fun.

squidyj

I love playing Yogg druid, sometimes stupid shit just happens

turn 2 wild growth, turn 3 mire keeper turn 4 wild growth + hero power + wrath
turn 5 coin onyxia. turn 6 power of the wild + savage roar

keeping onyxia in your opening hand might seem wrong but with all the ramp and against a priest......

Fishlake

bunbun777 said:
I think it comes from experience with card games in general. I've been playing for a year and a half now but it was my experience with Pokemon,Digimon,Yu-gi-oh and MTG that made me want to stay with wild and kept my expectations in check.

They should make an adventure that's just a new class. With Standard that should be possible considering you only need to make classic and OG amounts of class cards.

I kind of hope they would consider giving each class multiple basic hero powers. It would allow them to suggest multiple ways of play for each class without having to go to extreme lengths with overpowered cards to do it.

Probably a bit late for that though.

Slashlen

Damn, just had a fun match. My secret pally against some kind of tempo/enrage warrior in wild. Both of us ran out of gas, he drops Rag and I only have a few dudes and under 8 HP. The game goes on for at least 7 more turns with Rag on the field while I keep getting Musters, small cards, and making dudes. He throws whatever he draws on the field, but I'm barely able to answer each one while keeping dudes on the field.

I finally draw Tirion. He draws the last card in his deck, suicides his only other board minion into Tirion, and plays Acolyte of Pain. Rag hits Tirion, and I finish him off with the Ashbringer and 3 dudes into the acolyte for lethal fatigue damage.

They should make an adventure that's just a new class. With Standard that should be possible considering you only need to make classic and OG amounts of class cards.
I think Brode basically disconfirmed any chance of new classes in the future.

I kind of hope they would consider giving each class multiple basic hero powers. It would allow them to suggest multiple ways of play for each class without having to go to extreme lengths with overpowered cards to do it.

Probably a bit late for that though.
Duelyst did it, and it's not that hard even this late. For example, the equivalent of the Paladin class in Duelyst has one hero with a "Heal 3" hero power, and another with a "Permanent +2 attack" hero power. Another faction has "Teleport a unit 2 squares" and "Summon a 1/1 ranged unit" between its two generals. As you can imagine, these varying hero powers inspire drastically different playstyles in the game.

C'thun Shaman uses Evolve on a board with Thing Below, both Vel'kor's, and a bunch of other stuff. Gets War Golem, happy Rag, and Al'akir.

Damn, almost got my first 12 arena run. I went 11-0 as Shaman then lost 3 straight games against some crazy paladin decks.

I'm surprised I even got to 11. I had NO removal at all. 1 Rock Biter was the closest thing, just really good value minions and 5 weapons. I didn't even have Flamewreathed!

Fishlake

Duelyst did it, and it's not that hard even this late. For example, the equivalent of the Paladin class in Duelyst has one hero with a "Heal 3" hero power, and another with a "Permanent +2 attack" hero power. Another faction has "Teleport a unit 2 squares" and "Summon a 1/1 ranged unit" between its two generals. As you can imagine, these varying hero powers inspire drastically different playstyles in the game.

Cool to hear another game did that and because I just finished Banner saga and have some free time here are some ideas I have for it.

Warrior-equip a 2/1 axe
Paladin-heal a minion by 3 health
Rouge-give a minion +1 attack
Druid-Give a minion taunt
Hunter-give a minion +1 health
Shaman-Restore 3 health to your hero.
Priest- add a 1 mana draw 1 random card from your opponents deck to your hand
Warlock- lose 2 health deal 2 damage
Mage- equip a 0/2 wand with spell damage +1 when you cast a spell lose 1 durability.

Ok I was struggling on some of those but I tried to come up with reasonable ones.

Cool to hear another game did that and because I just finished Banner saga and have some free time here are some ideas I have for it.

Warrior-equip a 2/1 axe
Paladin-heal a minion by 3 health
Rouge-give a minion +1 attack
Druid-Give a minion taunt
Hunter-give a minion +1 health
Shaman-Restore 3 health to your hero.
Priest- add a 1 mana draw 1 random card from your opponents deck to your hand
Warlock- lose 2 health deal 2 damage
Mage- equip a 0/2 wand with spell damage +1 when you cast a spell lose 1 durability.

Ok I was struggling on some of those but I tried to come up with reasonable ones.
A while ago I had the idea of making Hero Powers a "Choose One" button to make matches more interesting. I say that because some of these Hero Powers would be terrible if they were your only one, lol. Here's the list:

Rogue:
Equip a 1/1 weapon.
Give your weapon +1 attack.
Your character does not take damage when attacking this turn.

Warrior:
Gain 2 armor.
Give a minion +1 health.
The next minion you attack with a weapon takes an additional 2 damage.

Hunter:
Deal 2 damage to the enemy hero.
Give a minion +1 attack.
Summon a 1/1 Beast.

Mage:
Deal 1 damage to a character.
Gain +2 spell damage until your next turn.
Freeze the next single character that you deal damage to this turn.

Priest:
Heal a character for 2.
Look at the top card of your deck. You may shuffle it to the bottom of your deck.
Deal 1 damage to a minion at the start of the next 3 turns.

Paladin:
Summon a 1/1 Soldier.
Reduce a minion's attack by 1 this turn.
The next minion that attacks you takes 2 damage.

Shaman:
Healing Totem (0/2 heals all friendly characters for 1; yes, a small buff)
Stoneclaw Totem (0/2 taunt)
Wrath of Air Totem (0/2 +1 spell damage)

Remake Searing Totem into a 0/2 for 1 that cannot attack and deals 1 damage to a random enemy character at the end of your turn. This is more in-line with its WoW parallel.

Druid:
Gain 1 armor, and 1 attack this turn.
Heal a minion for 1 at the start of the next 3 turns.
Next turn only, gain 1 mana crystal.

Warlock:
Draw a card and take 2 damage.
Deal 2 damage to a friendly minion, and heal 2 life.
The next minion you play from your hand this turn gains +1 attack and health.

fertygo

let made the game to where hero power determine class tier guise, what a improvement like that other game had

where one hero have this S-Rank hero power that made her tier 0, n this hero where he used to be tier 1 and goes to trash tier after recent nerf

very cool balancing idea

Dahbomb

Alternate hero powers should've been something that they added to the game a year ago.

I will just throw down my suggestions for alternate hero powers:

Hunter: Restore 4 HP to yourself and 2 HP for your opponent.
Warlock: Swap a minion's attack and defense
Warrior: Summon a 0/2 minion with Enrage (+2 attack).
Mage: Give a minion +1 Spell damage.
Priest: Deal 2 damage randomly split among enemy characters.
Druid: Give a minion +2 attack this turn only.
Shaman: Deal 3 damage to a minion, Overload (1).
Paladin: Give a minion Divine Shield this turn only.
Rogue: Return a friendly minion back to your hand.

No matter what hero power I come up with Warlock, it just doesn't compare to its current hero power so I just gave Warlock an interesting one.

I was thinking of giving Hunter a summon 1/1 Mastiff (which is just a Beast) or give a minion +2 attack this turn but both of these hero power promote the same playstyle that Hunter already does... so I gave them a radically defensive hero power.

Dahbomb

let made the game to where hero power determine class tier guise, what a improvement like that other game had

where one hero have this S-Rank hero power that made her tier 0, n this hero where he used to be tier 1 and goes to trash tier after recent nerf

very cool balancing idea
This whole post makes no sense. I mean this is obviously a sarcastic post about Duelyst but even then it's hard to understand anything in this post.

Also this is the strangest HS ad ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CodP4SAQiKY

very cool balancing idea
LOL, are you salty about the Zirix nerf?

The great thing about Duelyst having two generals is that while both of them might not always be on equal footing, one of them is always good, so you can succeed using your faction. If Hearthstone had, say, 2 different Hero Powers for Priest, maybe the other Priest power would help make the class viable.

Alternate hero powers should've been something that they added to the game a year ago.

I will just throw down my suggestions for alternate hero powers:

Hunter: Restore 4 HP to yourself and 2 HP for your opponent.
Warlock: Swap a minion's attack and defense
Warrior: Summon a 0/2 minion with Enrage (+2 attack).
Mage: Give a minion +1 Spell damage.
Priest: Deal 2 damage randomly split among enemy characters.
Druid: Give a minion +2 attack this turn only.
Shaman: Deal 3 damage to a minion, Overload (1).
Paladin: Give a minion Divine Shield this turn only.
Rogue: Return a friendly minion back to your hand.

No matter what hero power I come up with Warlock, it just doesn't compare to its current hero power so I just gave Warlock an interesting one.

I was thinking of giving Hunter a summon 1/1 Mastiff (which is just a Beast) or give a minion +2 attack this turn but both of these hero power promote the same playstyle that Hunter already does... so I gave them a radically defensive hero power.
I like the Hunter powers you didn't go with more. I'm not sure a Hunter would ever pick the one you listed.

I'm pretty sure your Rogue and Paladin ones would become the defaults in most decks, haha.

Choose 1 would be a good way to go abouut it. was trying to make hero powers that were alternatives suggesting different ways of play. yeah it is hard to come up with many different hero powers that don't need a board.
I think the key point in making new hero powers is that a Hero Power is equivalent to a 0-mana card. None of the Hero Powers in the game are even worth a 1-mana card, so looking at existing 0-mana cards and 1-mana cards as resources is a good idea. Of course, with the 1-mana cards, you have to tone the card down, which is why Mages have Fireblast, which is 1 damage for 2 mana, but Arcane Missiles, which is 3 damage for 1 mana.

That is a neat idea. I'm not sure I fully understand it. Would you have 9 different hero powers for each class? Is there a game that does this?
Duelyst effectively has 2 hero powers for each "class".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom