• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi

Banned
I had to win two games on my Asian account with a level one Paladin and a couple class cards I got in my free packs.

2-4 baby! Rank 20 best rank. I beat an aggro Rogue who let me build a big board and then I used Raid Leader and Dire Wolves to smash his face. The other win was against a Mage who didn't know how to play the game.

I saw three Aggro Rogues on Asia today. New meta? Or just a weird, rank 20 thing.

I actually didn't win a game until I hit level two and opened a Truesilver, here's my deck:

Dp2JIlF.png

I love playing on accounts where I have no cards and really simple goals (get two wins to clear two quests and get enough gold for a pack).

Odds we hear about the new adventure this month? Probably pretty slim?

From last year it was BRM releasing on April 2nd, then TGT releasing on August 24th, then to League of Explorers releasing on November 12. This year it's been WOG on April 26th.

So if we go by those dates, we'll hear / get something by August or September. Worst case is they push the reveal to BlizzCon but it'll probably release in November again if that's the case.

I don't think alternate hero powers is a good idea for hearthstone. I don't think it ever will be. What works for duelyst may work for duelyst, but these 2 games are very different. I'd rather see a new class before alternate hero powers and I really don't care about new classes much either.

I prefer they keep doubling down on what they have, especially in spells and weapons categories. Maybe introduce new categories of spells and minions. Perhaps a spell type that you can only have one copy of, akin to legendary. And perhaps a minion type that can only have one of that type, thus in deck building you have to choose between 2 different minions because you can't run both. I want to see new keywords or unique text, new tribes... I want to see more cards like ysera/xaril that generate unique cards too.

In short, there is a lot they can do before making new classes and alternative hero powers. Granted, one of my favorite cards from TGT was trueheart and it's not even good for a lot of the classes. I'd like to see another trueheart but make it strong for the classes that trueheart sucks (especially rogue!).

I don't think alternate hero powers is a good idea for hearthstone. I don't think it ever will be. What works for duelyst may work for duelyst, but these 2 games are very different. I'd rather see a new class before alternate hero powers and I really don't care about new classes much either.
Why do you think it isn't a good idea?

Just don't tell me because it would mess with the game's finely tuned balance, lol. :)

I prefer they keep doubling down on what they have, especially in spells and weapons categories. Maybe introduce new categories of spells and minions. Perhaps a spell type that you can only have one copy of, akin to legendary. And perhaps a minion type that can only have one of that type, thus in deck building you have to choose between 2 different minions because you can't run both. I want to see new keywords or unique text, new tribes... I want to see more cards like ysera/xaril that generate unique cards too.
I think Ice Block should probably be a legendary spell.

I would like to see the equivalent of "enchantments" added to Hearthstone. They could be removed by Silence effects.

In short, there is a lot they can do before making new classes and alternative hero powers. Granted, one of my favorite cards from TGT was trueheart and it's not even good for a lot of the classes. I'd like to see another trueheart but make it strong for the classes that trueheart sucks (especially rogue!).
Oh sure, there are lots of things they can do. I just personally really like being able to customize my "Face".

Dahbomb

Game needs more than just the status quo. I honestly think that once I get my golden Warlock I am taking a long break from it. Other better games to play out there.

Why do you think it isn't a good idea?
People on here have said before that nerfing cards in HS is a bad idea because they don't nerf cards in MTG and they should just reprint cards instead. You don't see those people here anymore.

im just waiting till the expansion/adventure. See what they do if it's still the same then I'll be switching to duelyst. Was always interested in the game, just never put time into it

Speaking of Legendary Spells, I could of sworn I saw something once at a GDC talk where they had one up on a slide, but I can't find it.

In any case, I still doubt they'd make any since I feel like it'd boil down into two different situations.

1) It's so good it's slotted into every deck of that class, regardless of what that deck type is. While it's happen many times before, and still happens now, I think the dev team has mentioned they try to avoid having that happen.

2) It enables a certain deck for that class, but it comes down to simply, "Draw the card and win, you don't, you lose." Again, you could argue that this happens a lot already, but we're talking about a single spell card. Not a dream draw, perfect mulligan, or what have you.

You don't see those people here anymore.

People have left this thread for multiple reasons. While I would agree with you that a good portion are probably from the state of the game, we're not exactly the best community here on GAF.

Dahbomb

Call of the Wild, Pyroblast etc. could be Legendary spells without actually being "you lose if you don't draw these spells".

Though these spells would be too boring to be Legendary.

im just waiting till the expansion/adventure. See what they do if it's still the same then I'll be switching to duelyst. Was always interested in the game, just never put time into it
If you decide to get into Duelyst, be sure to join the Discord. There's a ton of info there.

I don't know why, but Freeze Mage feels so calming. The only time I get angry playing this deck is when someone uses Eater of Secrets. :p

I know the basics and stuff just need to figure out what class I like and find decks. I've been browsing the subreddit for a while.
The Duelyst Discord has a bot with commands that let you store decks and look at cards. One of the mods took the liberty of storing starter decks for each faction. Those are the kinds of resources I'm talking about. I'm sure you're a smart enough guy to learn to play the game on your own, but personally, I always get overwhelmed by what a "good deck" is when starting a card game.

I don't know why, but Freeze Mage feels so calming. The only time I get angry playing this deck is when someone uses Eater of Secrets. :p

The Duelyst Discord has a bot with commands that let you store decks and look at cards. One of the mods took the liberty of storing starter decks for each faction. Those are the kinds of resources I'm talking about. I'm sure you're a smart enough guy to learn to play the game on your own, but personally, I always get overwhelmed by what a "good deck" is when starting a card game.

ill check it out

Zoggy

Call of the Wild, Pyroblast etc. could be Legendary spells without actually being "you lose if you don't draw these spells".

Though these spells would be too boring to be Legendary.

cotw is hunters win condition tho

try those midrange decks without them and place in literally anything else, it sucks

bjaelke

Legendary spells would be a terrible approach if you look at the current definitions. All legendaries are based of characters in the Warcraft universe so limiting them to 1 in each deck makes sense. I don't see how they can justify that limitation on spells even if they are very powerful.

Minions last through the turn (unless sacrificed) whereas the majority of the spells disappear after being played - I think Brode mentioned that previously as being an important distinction between minion and spell when classifying them. Many epic spells are essentially considered legendary but cannot be treated as such due to those criteria.

Dahbomb

cotw is hunters win condition tho

try those midrange decks without them and place in literally anything else, it sucks
Hunter decks always won games without using Call of Wild before. It's not a win condition... it's a crutch.

The fact that the class would be garbage without a single card tells me that the class is terribly designed. Before it was Mad Scientist, now it's CotW.

Zoggy

Hunter decks always won games without using Call of Wild before. It's not a win condition... it's a crutch.

The fact that the class would be garbage without a single card tells me that the class is terribly designed. Before it was Mad Scientist, now it's CotW.

i've been playing for a year and half, and the only hunter decks i saw were face hunter (which is gone now because of losing creeper, glaivezooka and scientist) and midrange (which also lost those cards plus boom)

cotw replaced those and was damn good for it. hunters fight for the board then by turn 8-9 drop the bomb and win.

if that means its a poorly designed class, then so be it.

only other archetype and yoggnload, which is a yogg deck.

I'm just saying without cotw hunter is priest/paladin tier right now.

Dahbomb

CotW Hunter is literally just Midrange/Hybrid Hunter with CotW added on top.

If Hunter still had OP Leper, Juggler, Owl and Arcane Golem they would still be playing Face deck. Blizzard specifically targeted Face Hunter so now that deck sucks which means Hunter is back to playing Midrange like every other class.

Zoggy

and midrange hunters late game before was dr. boom and maybe rag (or king krush lul)

boom is gone, rag and krush aren't as good, and now all it has cotw. midrange hunter also ran some of the cards that are now nerfed or either gone to wild.

without cotw, that deck is trash.

the only reason the deck is played right now is because its good against warriors, the most common class in the game. it hold its own against zoo and only wins against is when it drops the 8 bomb, which zoo can't handle. it loses to shaman regardless.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think Brawl is my least favorite card in Standard. Just the chance your opponent gets to keep a big minion makes it more agonizing than any other field nuke.

Nordicus

let made the game to where hero power determine class tier guise, what a improvement like that other game had

where one hero have this S-Rank hero power that made her tier 0, n this hero where he used to be tier 1 and goes to trash tier after recent nerf

very cool balancing idea
With such a small faction card pool and that Bloodborn Spells were just introduced, you're gonna see some tier swings until balance stabilizes.

And also:
LOL, are you salty about the Zirix nerf?

The great thing about Duelyst having two generals is that while both of them might not always be on equal footing, one of them is always good, so you can succeed using your faction. If Hearthstone had, say, 2 different Hero Powers for Priest, maybe the other Priest power would help make the class viable.
This.

Facemonkey Vetruvian took a hit, but Sabotage Vetruvian lives on. We'll likely have to wait for Denizens of Shim'zar for both Zir'an and Starhorn to stop warming the bench.

fertygo

and midrange hunters late game before was dr. boom and maybe rag (or king krush lul)

boom is gone, rag and krush aren't as good, and now all it has cotw. midrange hunter also ran some of the cards that are now nerfed or either gone to wild.

without cotw, that deck is trash.

the only reason the deck is played right now is because its good against warriors, the most common class in the game. it hold its own against zoo and only wins against is when it drops the 8 bomb, which zoo can't handle. it loses to shaman regardless.
Hunter cope better against Shaman than zoo but maybe I never play aggro shaman made me confuse thing

Ripenen

I'd like to change Hunter hero power to Deal 2 damage to a random enemy, so that it's not only face oriented.

Not that it matters but that wouldn't fit very well thematically. Hunter has a bow and is, well a hunter, so his ability should be targeted and accurate. Otherwise it would be akin to a hunter randomly firing an arrow into the air and expecting it to hit something.

That could also get frustrating if the opponent has any enrage minions or grim patrons or anything like that.

There aren't many cards that counter hero powers are there? There's the one that makes it more expensive to use for a turn, and an acidic swamp ooze or any taunt minions technically counter rogue I guess.

rahji

priest into yog-soggoth -> cabalist tome -> pyroblast -> thoughtsteal and mindvision leads to awesome games. beat him literally with his own pyroblast.

DSmalls84

Any reason to keep the adventure legendary cards like Domo, Chromaggus and Rend? They all seem to get zero play in standard and I'm considering dusting them.

Tacitus_

Any reason to keep the adventure legendary cards like Domo, Chromaggus and Rend? They all seem to get zero play in standard and I'm considering dusting them.

Domo is a gimmick deck card, but Chromaggus and Rend can be used in semi-competitive dragon decks.

Asbel

Not that it matters but that wouldn't fit very well thematically. Hunter has a bow and is, well a hunter, so his ability should be targeted and accurate. Otherwise it would be akin to a hunter randomly firing an arrow into the air and expecting it to hit something.

That could also get frustrating if the opponent has any enrage minions or grim patrons or anything like that.

There aren't many cards that counter hero powers are there? There's the one that makes it more expensive to use for a turn, and an acidic swamp ooze or any taunt minions technically counter rogue I guess.

They already random fire with Deadly Shot.

All hero powers have their down sides

Levi

Banned
RNGesus take the wheel... Doing my warlock daily, was losing pretty badly against a hunter, tapped into Leroy when my hand was Soulfire, PO, PO. No taunt in the way so I stole the win.

After my Warlock quest, I switched to Tempo Mage (too many warriors to stick with zoolock) and I was losing against a C'thun Priest when he dropped an 18/18 C'thun. I had no way to deal with it so I dropped Yogg--not only did my Yogg not kill itself, it gave me an Ice Block and Mind Controlled C'thun.

He entombed C'thun and Deathed my Yogg but because I had Ice Block up I had time to draw and I drew Frostbolt into Fireball into Fireball over the next three turns and pointed them all at his face for lethal. If I drew a minion on any of those turns I would have lost.

scarlet

Repeat brawl. Draw on-curve cards. I recall paladin being broken last time around.

I don't really get it what's the brawl about, so I just used my zoolock and won against warrior.

Got my 1st brawl for warrior and my 2nd eaglehorn bow. Not bad.

Rank 20 is great.

Facing a Druid who plays Forbidden Ancient Turn 1, Savage Roar Turn 3 (with no other minions on the board), and two Tomb Spiders.

I'm at 16 HP, he has an Unmounted Raptor (3/2) and a damaged Cult Apothecary (4/3), he drops two Dire Wolf Alphas and then uses Savage Roar.

He runs into Explosive Trap.

Wild is so much more fun than standard I don't know how people main that net decking mode (unless they have small collections and are new as the mode is designed for). Up until rank 5 I can't even identify most decks by t6 because almost everyone is running homebrew bs in wild because meta snapshots aren't a thing.people thought games would end too quickly? I literally main Hunter and every game goes to t8+. It's amazing. As is my forlorn stalker deathrattle wild decks. 5/7 sludgebelchers as a hunter?

Dahbomb

Nzoth Hunter with CotW is also pretty strong in this. I recommend using Huhuran in the 5 slot.

Of course you want all the 0 drop cards in the game in the deck (so add the two Tinyfins). You also want Mountains and Moltens. 10 drops you don't want this time because you always want Nzoth on turn 10.

Murloc Paladin might be a thing too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Of course you want all the 0 drop cards in the game in the deck (so add the two Tinyfins)

With four cards that are zero mana 1/1s if you mulligan aggressively enough, hobgoblin or steward of darkshire would be pretty nuts.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Probably another brawl to avoid this week. Secret Pally or maybe Face Warrior can get it done pretty quick however.

vall03

Used a Murloc deck on Tavern Brawl, opponent at 8 health on turn 3. That was faster than I thought. Too bad the pack was shit.

10 cards left in library 3 of them sludge belcher, sludge belcher, tyrion.
Come on I had Nzoth in hand and the best to res were doombots.

Lost against Murloc Paladin that had back to back Anyfins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom