• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Goddamn that new zoolock vs Aggro Shaman matchup at ONOG stream is fucking crazy

brokeback vs brokeback

Aggro Shaman create massive board out of nothing with tuskarr highroll totem golem into 2 0 mana thing from below, zoolock answer with Doomguard into double draw out from imp and end up winning

fucking blizz, shit is outrageous

Enter the coliseum doesn't empty the board. Still a good spell for atiesh though.

Well, the board is more empty than it was before it was cast(usually).

Thinking about it though, Paladins do have good spells at 6 and 8 Mana, so I could see a deck with Medivh in it.

What I really want to see is someone use Captain Greenskin for that extra charge.

Portugeezer

What the actual fuck...

Been playing for over a year now and I lost a game because apparently if you use coin with 10 mana it doesn't give you 11? What the fuck is this shit?

Had an Animal Companion and COTW, coined first, played Companion... then I was so confused when I only had 7 mana. Lost because of this, I got Huffer. Feelsbadman.

My opponent's yoggs are so lucky that this mage with 3 hp when he yogged he was already out of cards, somehow managed to not die. 3 health, already in fatigue, played yogg, and lived.

I still eeked out a win, complicated by the fact that he got about 10 different secrets between the two.

Dahbomb

In general, the game needs a LOT more draw options.
A lot of the good classes can easily draw their entire deck if they have a good enough reason to do so. Warrior, Rogue, Druid, Warlock etc. Even Priest can draw well enough under the right circumstances.

It's classes like Hunter and Shaman that are garbage designs which can't even do that which further limits their class archetype.

I thought Blizzard had learned their lesson with the previous expansion by going opposite of the design mistakes they have made but they kinda doubled up on the mistakes in Karazhan.

*They printed Stormcrack, Arcane Blast and Shadow Strike which are efficient tempo removal but they can't really hit face to kill your opponent with. This is GOOD design because it means people can't stack them up in a burn deck... but then they made Firelands Portal which is not only an excellent tempo removal but can ALSO HIT FACE!

*They printed minions like Infested Tauren and Twilight Summoner which are slow, non aggressive deathrattles with no tribal synergy so that you can't abuse them in aggressive decks... then they printed Kindly Grandmother which is an aggressive deathrattle minion for its cost and has double tribal synergy.

*They stopped printing good asymmetric AOEs because it feels bad to play against or whatever (which is fine as long as you are printing stuff like Elemental Destruction and Excavated Evil)... then they printed Maelstrom Portal.

In other news Kripp is on maximum tilt now. Probably going to quit Arena forever if his current Mage Arena run flops.

fertygo

What the actual fuck...

Been playing for over a year now and I lost a game because apparently if you use coin with 10 mana it doesn't give you 11? What the fuck is this shit?

Had an Animal Companion and COTW, coined first, played Companion... then I was so confused when I only had 7 mana. Lost because of this, I got Huffer. Feelsbadman.

You get 11 mana if you don't coin first, like innervate at 10 mana

I wonder how hearthstone would change if your mana continued to increase past 10. In elder scrolls legends, they actually have a 12 mana card... that's actually quite strong (10/10 and deals 4 damage to all enemies). That's pretty good since the game doesn't have stacks of AOEs for each class and it's neutral.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Watched a vod of Abar running that Yshaarj cheese hunter deck.

That is the dumbest deck. It is a crappy Yogg and load without Yogg or lock and load, and the cheese win condition if you can actually get it off on curve still doesn't do much of anything some percentage of the time with how much hard removal everyone runs. And if it doesn't go off you're just left with a shit boring hunter deck.

patchday

I always assumed the 10 mana was a hard cap to prevent players from directly playing the minions that cost 12. Normally they want you to go through some process to get them summoned.

I was actually thinking bout this earlier cause I noticed in Faeria mana 'accumulates' there instead

I always assumed the 10 mana was a hard cap to prevent players from directly playing the minions that cost 12. Normally they want you to go through some process to get them summoned.

I was actually thinking bout this earlier cause I noticed in Faeria mana 'accumulates' there instead

I dunno the reason why they don't let you momemtarily exceed 10 mana, but the 10 cap is likely just how they balance the game going first. Like in ESL if you go first you're always going to have access to 1 more mana than your opponent did on their previous turn. So if you win, on turn 15, you had access to use 15 mana more than your opponent did that game. In hearthstone, it's only 10. ESL has a coin you can use 3 times though.

Dahbomb

I wonder how hearthstone would change if your mana continued to increase past 10. In elder scrolls legends, they actually have a 12 mana card... that's actually quite strong (10/10 and deals 4 damage to all enemies). That's pretty good since the game doesn't have stacks of AOEs for each class and it's neutral.
It would help slower decks a lot more as they could make stronger tempo plays late game. You would also have less fatigue situations as then you would have less situations where a player plays a massive threat, it gets answered and the same guy plays a big threat which proceeds to get answered. Like you could potentially remove something and then put out two large targets in the late game.

The main issue is that with higher mana cap you would have certain combos that would become too strong. Like you could Alex, then do a reduced cost Frostbolt, Frostbolt, double Ice Lance Play to basically OTK the opponent.

patchday

Yeah Malygos would be much easier to use in the same turn. since removals are so prevalent on my Malygos Mage I use counterspells or spellbinder 1st before playing her. That way I can lethal the next turn

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Rank 25 and in the next 10 games have seen 9 prince malcezaars

God damn

sibarraz

Banned
So I played faeria, I still don't understand how the mana mechanic works but overall is a fun game, at least I found it better than duelyst

wiibomb

is there a hidden mechanic in ladder to encourage different decks?

I made a hunter deck early in the morning and I was blazing until rank 15, then my winning went to shit, then I switched to a new dragon warrior I made (Curator dragon) and now I'm in a streak.

weird matchmaking

He beat a Cthun warrior who played his acolyte into the doomsayer of ryzen. Pretty smart.

I'd imagine that's a favored match up, the cthun warrior is gonna lose that most of the time. But the tempo mage and the shaman match up were great. His shaman opponent double mana tide totem'd from tuskar totemic. Later when he had like 6 minions on board, he 1 mana cold light into vanish destroying it all. Next vanish and doomsayer... mmm.

Vanish + doomsayer... maybe that could work in another rogue deck. The problem with vanish being your opponent just immediately gets tempo back after you vanish typically. Perhaps doomsayer changes that.

is there a hidden mechanic in ladder to encourage different decks?

I made a hunter deck early in the morning and I was blazing until rank 15, then my winning went to shit, then I switched to a new dragon warrior I made (Curator dragon) and now I'm in a streak.

weird matchmaking

Meta shifts. Sometimes the deck your playing is good in the overall weekly meta but weak momentarily as people aim to beat it or just are playing decks that are favored vs it. Switching occasionally is a good idea.

wiibomb

Book Wyrm has been performing pretty good for me... there are a surprising amount of targets vulnerable... like a fierce monkey trying to protect a warrior from lethal... oh that play

Meta shifts. Sometimes the deck your playing is good in the overall weekly meta but weak momentarily as people aim to beat it or just are playing decks that are favored vs it. Switching occasionally is a good idea.

just realized, yeah, I'll try to switch decks more often.

sibarraz

Banned
I looks more interesting than duelyst cause it seems like more is happening with the map. Am I right?

In one hand I appreciate more the tactical importance of the map here than in duelyst, but I think than in duelyst it looks like more is happening in the map

I didn't like duelyst for the cards, I don't found them very entertaining, is more a pet peeve of mine that thinking that the game is garbage

patchday

I looks more interesting than duelyst cause it seems like more is happening with the map. Am I right?

I havent played either of those games long but so far Faeria has my attention with the different mechanics (how mana accumulates, growing lands, etc). plus the improvement on the payment model has really grabbed my attention. Had fun going through the starter quests it feels like a breath of fresh air

Apparently everyone I meet now is amazing at this game. All the way down to 20 lol. I’m just going to play some Medivh Hunter because why not.

Shinypogs

Apparently everyone I meet now is amazing at this game. All the way down to 20 lol. I’m just going to play some Medivh Hunter because why not.

I know your pain, I've been bouncing between 20 and 16 with 3 stars all day. Feels like no matter what deck I play the opponent is always the answer.

wiibomb

I know your pain, I've been bouncing between 20 and 16 with 3 stars all day. Feels like no matter what deck I play the opponent is always the answer.

It is pretty difficult the first and last weeks of a month because it is then that people rush to climb the ladder, waiting a little might be better to let the good ones go legend.

I've been bouncing between 15-16 half a day because of it

sibarraz

Banned
Well, faeria convinced me, I like that they give you lots of pack/gold with only the sinlge player, so at the moment I feel like not playing the MP yet until I have some cards

Also the game is fun, now I understood how the mana works and is an interesting concept.

I think that duelyst needs more single player quests at the beginning to incentivize more players, some with hs

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I bit the bullet and crafted some control warrior cards and started messing around with it. Aside from being stomped by all the fast decks and being annoyed by stupid stupid priests, my least favorite thing is idiots drawing games out where they have zero way to win.

A control mage waited until well into fatigue to realize that him having 13hp and me having 60hp would present a problem for him when he was just pinging me every turn.

how do u think i can improve my wild reno yogg troll hunter?
UWLaj7P.jpg

doomsayer could be good but its a shitty barnes pull. i guess i should just deal since most of my deck is crap with barnes he just can drag some serious swag out when rngesus smiles upon me. removal is the hardest thing. i thought about unstable ghoul even. originally i had nzoth but i think yogg is ....more fun lol

can't use explosive trap, freezing is amazing for delaying the game for a greedy deck like this and having two of those and one mad sci is the only way to keep reno consistent while being able to abuse freezing to delay the game.

originally i had curator too, an azure drake or ysera wouldn't be bad, finley doesn't seem to fit much though i think because being able to chip away is useful enough of a HP and it really doesn't have a ton of beasts anyway

I wish I could find a fun deck that performs well enough so that I don't end up reverting back to midrange Shaman after I get pissed off within a handful of games. Starting to feel like an impossible task at this point.

Jadax

Is it better to save up gold for packs, or buy adventures with it? I only have naxx.

Also - I have a Play a Friend quest - hit me up at Jadax#2287 EU - would be cool if you have the quest too, but no worries.

Is it better to save up gold for packs, or buy adventures with it? I only have naxx.

Also - I have a Play a Friend quest - hit me up at Jadax#2287 EU

Using real money on adventures is more efficient than using gold. Though if you're completely opposed to spending money then really it's up to you and what you want to play.

In general I'd say it's best to start with Classic packs, then probably transition into Old Gods/Karazhan. I probably wouldn't invest much into Blackrock/Grand Tournament/Explorers at this point considering they're gone from Standard in about 7 months or so. Of course if you have any interest in Wild then obviously those become much more valuable.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Also - I have a Play a Friend quest - hit me up at Jadax#2287 EU

If you ever spend money on the game, that money is better used on adventures. Oherwise whether you should spend gold on adventures or packs basically comes down to what cards you need to finish what decks you want to play.

Shinypogs

It is pretty difficult the first and last weeks of a month because it is then that people rush to climb the ladder, waiting a little might be better to let the good ones go legend.

I've been bouncing between 15-16 half a day because of it

It just feels weird since these are basically the same decks that took me to 15 during the last week of the last season. Some combo of secret hunter, zoolock and a wip freeze mage should be working but you're correct in that I seem to be hitting a wall of stronger players right now. Lord knows it has to be frustrating for the opponents I stomp at higher ranks though, 2x kill command + eaglehorn+ hero power is about as filthy as double power overwhelming plus soulfire for unexpected burst. Though with hunter it usually doesn't come down to burst so much as driving the opponent mad with freezing traps, snipe and deadly shot so that they have no board and I can calmly whittle them down.

I wonder if laddering will get harder in general with school back in session for kids. On one hand I want a challenge and to improve myself each season. On the other hand if only dedicated higher skilled players are left it makes improving that much harder as people are always ahead of you.

Still having a hell of a lot of fun though, for all my ladder frustrations.

do weapons like glaivezooka add to yoggs spells? i doubt it cause they dont trigger lock and load but im trying to see how i can squeeze in more yogg hits without adding more secrets cause freezing is just the goat for making the game last longer

Danj

What the actual fuck...

Should've played companion and then coined, that would've worked. Coin can't give you more mana than there is space for in your mana tray.

Cat Party

do weapons like glaivezooka add to yoggs spells? i doubt it cause they dont trigger lock and load but im trying to see how i can squeeze in more yogg hits without adding more secrets cause freezing is just the goat for making the game last longer
No, weapons are not spells.

ic ic. shit, i want to make yogg reno wild hunter better lol. its fun af when i can survive. healbot would prob not be worth it tho. maybe nexus champion, good with yogg and barnes. too expensive tho.

this game needs a reverse knife juggler. every time your opponent summons a minion, deal one random damage.

Pooya

ok let's play some freeze mage.

first match burgle rogue, ez pz game right. well of course he gets 2x iceblock from every card he could get. I couldn't play around it. nice RNG.

Next match, control warrior! I actually beat him, lol. didn't draw justicar, felt great and I played really well too putting myself in a position to win entire game. It was a nice match on both sides. This is when HS feels good when both players have to make tough decisions all game. Some faith restored. good ol hs decks are still the best most fun.

Next game hunter, this guy didn't even respect Emperor, I just pushed like 8 damage with a loot hoader lol. Easy game.

I think freeze mage might be ok right now actually.

Dahbomb

ok let's play some freeze mage.

first match burgle rogue, ez pz game right. well of course he gets 2x iceblock from every card he could get. I couldn't play around it. nice RNG.

Next match, control warrior! I actually beat him, lol. didn't draw justicar, felt great and I played really well too putting myself in a position to win entire game. It was a nice match on both sides. This is when HS feels good when both players have to make tough decisions all game. Some faith restored. good ol hs decks are still the best most fun.

Next game hunter, this guy didn't even respect Emperor, I just pushed like 8 damage with a loot hoader lol. Easy game.

I think freeze mage might be ok right now actually.
No it's not LMAO! Won against two idiots right there. CW player has to play really bad for a Freeze Mage to win over them, Justicar or not.

Pooya

if you dodge the control warriors you can beat aggro decks just fine except maybe shaman. Hunter/ dragon warrior are very doable. How many people play control warrior? Druid is also now a pretty ok match up unlike pre standard.

Dahbomb

if you dodge the control warriors you can beat aggro decks just fine except maybe shaman. Hunter/ dragon warrior are very doable.
Hunter wins the match up. I doubt Dragon Warrior loses that match up either as they can both put the pressure and keep themselves out of range with their hero power if need be.

I mean sure it's "doable" but it's not favored enough to the point where Freeze Mage is a good enough meta deck. Not to mention it loses to other decks like Tempo Mage as well. And it takes like 5 times as long as a normal game. More chances to make mistakes, more chances for the opponent to assemble a game plan.

On the aside, this is a good article:

https://tempostorm.com/articles/its-tough-to-help-control

Pachimari

How do I most easily get back into this game? I was crazy addicted to it before I went on vacation, and now they have split the game into standard and wild? Can I read up on this somewhere?

Dahbomb

How do I most easily get back into this game? I was crazy addicted to it before I went on vacation, and now they have split the game into standard and wild? Can I read up on this somewhere?
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19995505/a-new-way-to-play-2-2-2016

TL;DR: Standard is everything except Naxx and GvG sets. Wild is everything. There are two separate play modes for it (so there's a Wild ranked play and a Standard ranked play). Standard is the current tournament format.

There were also some cards that were nerfed this year that you may want to look at.

For players with lower collections and just starting out, Standard is usually better because there are less cards to collect. If you had a bunch of Classic set cards already then you should get some Old God packs and maybe finish up the Adventures especially LoE and BRM.

ZeroX03

Banned
It finally happened, I lost to Priest!

They got Sylvanas with Barnes on turn four, then managed to lucky resurrect it twice. And from there I still only needed Doomhammer but both of them were on the bottom 6 cards of my deck. But their Shifting Shade managed to copy one from me.

So the moral of the story is if you're incredibly lucky you could possibly get narrow wins with Priest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom