• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I often get the same results whenever I play a typical meta deck or variant. What are it's good match ups then?
Wins against Control/Cthun Warrior. Wins against Hunters because it's just faster than Hunters (unless Hunter gets a Deadly Shot on Tiger or something). Wins against the Paladins and Priests. Does decent against other Druids too. Beats Renolock very hard.

Bad match ups are Zoo, Aggro Shaman and fast Rogues. You can still win against these decks though because you have cheat cards like Innervate and Tiger + Warden.

patchday

This probably isnt funny but I find it ironic people #1 gripe with Hearthstone is how random things are. But there's so many new CCGs coming out that appear to be HS inspired. I know I was playing Faeria yesterday and noticed there's this 'green' minion (Bloomspite) that gives you a random card when it dies

Havent noticed any ccg with a card as random as Yogg though but I dont have time to look at that many (really just Duelyst and Faeria)

Xanathus

This probably isnt funny but I find it ironic people #1 gripe with Hearthstone is how random things are. But there's so many new CCGs coming out that appear to be HS inspired. I know I was playing Faeria yesterday and noticed there's this 'green' minion (Bloomspite) that gives you a random card when it dies

Havent noticed any ccg with a card as random as Yogg though but I dont have time to look at that many (really just Duelyst and Faeria)

That's how I feel about the other competitors like Elder Scrolls Legends but not with the randomness but rather they're trying to emulate Hearthstone's design team's philosophy of making the game simple and shallow to play. I have no confidence with all of those games because they don't have cards that enable complex but powerful decks that reward intelligent plays like Handlock, Miracle Rogue, Patron or Freeze Mage.

ViviOggi

No CCG I've played is even close to Brode's rng boner, like not even a tiny bit. Having less rng [than HS] has actually become a selling point for the current wave of CCGs.

Most of them are definitely HS-inspired to some extent, but mainly re: the user experience. TES:L is the only one that's basically a HS clone with a couple of twists.

Shinypogs

It's 5 days into the new season already, why the fuck does the ladder seem brokenly hard when all the good players should be in legend or at least rank 10 or under already?

On a less salty note I've been enjoying watching Thijs stream freeze mage, the way he explains what he is doing and why plus interacting with his chat is great, nice accent is a bonus. Also he has an amusing attitude of " as long as there are shamans on the ladder we'll farm shamans."

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
It's 5 days into the new season already, why the fuck does the ladder seem brokenly hard when all the good players should be in legend or at least rank 10 or under already?

On a less salty note I've been enjoying watching Thijs stream freeze mage, the way he explains what he is doing and why plus interacting with his chat is great, nice accent is a bonus. Also he has an amusing attitude of " as long as there are shamans on the ladder we'll farm shamans."

Thijs is a joy.

ViviOggi

Rule of thumb has always been a week, although the game also has never been as braindead across the board as it is now so it all kind of blurs together

B2C108C08257988EF3C3DDBBE88EAC2D9ACD2F5D
THIJS SUBS /
B2C108C08257988EF3C3DDBBE88EAC2D9ACD2F5D

patchday

Usually I wait til mid month before messing with ranked. but this time I started early cause I am hoping I'll learn more by fighting better players

I don't know if it's only open to new players or ones without any MMR, but I've seen my roommate playing with only the very basic cards against people with only basic cards. Like River Crocolisk and Oasis Snapjaw basic. Pretty sure they're the very default decks that come made when you first start up the game.

I just didn't know that you only faced other people playing them as well, which makes me think it might only be 'open,' / 'available,' to newer players. I bring it up because it's probably the one area of the game that has the lowest amount of RNG right now since it's all vanilla minion cards with minor class flavor cards.

Does raise the question, would people want to play only with Basic / Classic cards? Outside of broken OTK combos, which I'm pretty sure most, if not all, have been nerf'd / removed by now, I don't remember anything being terribly overpowered back then.

Only thing that comes to mind is ZooLock.

Dahbomb

People want to play with new cards. Going back to classic/basic only is less desirable.

Like as much as people hate RNG cards... having Yetis trade into each other isn't that much fun either. That's what Arena is for generally speaking (well at least that's what it used to be).

People want to play with new cards. Going back to classic/basic only is less desirable.

Like as much as people hate RNG cards... having Yetis trade into each other isn't that much fun either. That's what Arena is for generally speaking (well at least that's what it used to be).

Yetis... are you imaging things? Go back to classic tournaments and count the amount of yetis played. Close to zero. Sometimes ran in druid due to innervate shenanigans, and not even there that much. Top decks in classic were like zoo, miracle rogue, face hunter, hand lock, control warrior, token druid... none of these decks ran yetis.

Dahbomb

Yetis... are you imaging things? Go back to classic tournaments and count the amount of yetis played. Close to zero. Sometimes ran in druid due to innervate shenanigans, and not even there that much. Top decks in classic were like zoo, miracle rogue, face hunter, hand lock, control warrior, token druid... none of these decks ran yetis.
It was an expression. Yeti is generally the default mascot for original Hearthstone minions. Though Yeti was definitely run in Druids.

Honestly looking at those list of top decks... Handlock was nerfed so was Face Hunter, Miracle Rogue too kinda. So we are looking at Zoo, Control Warrior and Token Druid as top decks... which is pretty close to the top decks right now. Is that really more desirable to go back to? We have already played that game for years now.. the whole point of Standard was to make new metas.

I misspoke when I said zoo was a top deck. It was a deck that was top early on but fell off later. And how can you forget about miracle rogue back in classic?

Yeti wasn't even a thing in druid, not really.

Dahbomb

Miracle Rogue back in classic had a lot of cards that are now nerfed including Gadgetan and Blade Flurry. Going even further back we had stuff like Stealthed Van Cleef, 1 mana Shiv and other non sense.

Yeti was definitely a thing. This is Firebat's World Championship Druid deck in 2014:

Firebat.png

Here are other Druid decks in that same championship (top 16 finalists):

Kaor.png

Numberguy.png

Tiddler.png

And this is in Naxx where you would expect Yetis would be WORSE since there are better, power crept cards. With those cards removed, Yeti seems a lot more appealing in Druid.

For what it's worth, all I was trying to get at was a point in the game where RNG was pretty low. At least I think that's how it was, I honestly don't remember that much which is why I asked.

Miracle Rogue back in classic had a lot of cards that are now nerfed including Gadgetan and Blade Flurry. Going even further back we had stuff like Stealthed Van Cleef, 1 mana Shiv and other non sense.

Yeti was definitely a thing. This is Firebat's World Championship Druid deck in 2014:

Firebat.png

Here are other Druid decks in that same championship (top 16 finalists):

Kaor.png

Numberguy.png

Tiddler.png

And this is in Naxx where you would expect Yetis would be WORSE since there are better, power crept cards. With those cards removed, Yeti seems a lot more appealing in Druid.

We're talking about classic, where token druid was supreme and ramp druid was ran over by miracle rogue. And I know for fact that yeti was not in token druid, violet teacher was. Those lists are all from naxxramas era.

Dahbomb

I mean OK but we are talking about a hypothetical situation where we are reverted back to classic/basic cards. That was the original question... would people want to go back to playing with only basic/classic cards but now with the new nerfs?

Druids with no Ancient of Lore, Force of Nature and Keeper of Grove means worse Ramp playstyle and no more Combo Druid. You can still play Token Druid of course, that would probably be their best deck. But again, that's just a worse thing than what they are already doing.

Miracle Rogue doesn't have OG Gadgetan and Blade Flurry anymore. Probably still strong but a lot weaker than what they can currently do.

Handlock doesn't have Molten Giant. They don't have the option to play the Arcane Golem Faceless combo finisher either.

Face Hunter doesn't have Arcane Golem, Leper Gnome, 3/2 Knife Juggler and Owl anymore. No more 4 mana Leeroy either.

Zoolock also has a worse Knife Juggler, no more 0 mana Soulfire, OG Blood Imp/Flame Imps.

My point is that we don't really know what will actually be strong in this meta after all the nerfs the game has gone through. MAYBE Druids start playing Yeti like they did in Naxx era... who actually knows. One thing is for sure which is that I am not interested in playing this meta again. Not that it was that bad... but it's in the past and we want new stuff. I am especially not interested in playing weaker versions of current meta decks. Not to mention that classes like Shaman and Priest would be a lot worse.

Levi

Banned
I actually think the current meta would be pretty great if it wasn't for Yogg, Call of the Wild or Doomhammer.

We've got multiple viable control decks, lots of midrange options, and only a couple pure face decks.

Most classes have decent variety in what you can do with them. There's a ton of experimentation going on.

It's just too bad a few OP cards are warping the meta.

Dahbomb

Half the cards in top Shaman decks are a problem.

Call of the Wild is blatantly over powered.

Yogg and Barnes are a problem too.

Then you got cheat Innervates, 0 mana 8/8s and unfair turns with Violet/Fandral from Druid (generally due to Innervate).

Not to mention Zoo is still using 1/1s to clear your 5 HP minions with the greatest of ease.

And of course Warrior running over everyone with Dragon Tempo Warrior and 1 mana Executes.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Are two very good mid-game cards enough for a class that is begging for some early game to make them competitive? I say no. Priest was improved, but it's still in a bad spot and so I give Kara's impact on Priest a D+.

It's amazing how you can go through the cards for literally every class in the collection and see early game minions that are useful in one way or another, and then you go to Priest and there's just nothing until 4 mana.

I just had one of those games... where you're being reamed out because one of your cards you need to win is at the bottom of your deck. And zoo has just been vommitting shit and going face. And I'm at half my cards and no fan of knives, with desperate thalnos played the turn before (with conceal).

And then the turn that matters... you don't get the card you want... but you get the card you need.

I top decked auctioneer... I thought I had lost when I accidentally played prep before coin. Instead of just giving up I played cold blood on thalnos to trade, knowing that if in the next 2 cards I could play fan and clear most of the board with coin fan. So I try coin. No fan. I trade thalnos, I get drake. I thought it was over. 3 mana left and shiv. No mana to play fan of knives if I got it. I play the shiv anyway. Then I get backstab and fan. 1 mana left. No chance, I thought. Unless prep is my next card. I backstab something and get deadly poison. What? Another cycle? Deadly poison goes down and magic happens... I finally get prep. And prep + fan draws me backstab and another fan.

The next two turns I proceed to win, from 8hp vs 26.

tl;dr: https://hsreplay.net/replay/Ubogusn8grRSyNYm2ru27X

Dahbomb

Shaman closes out the tournament with high roll Tuskar Totemic into 4 mana 7/7 into discounted Thing from Below into Doomhammer lethal...

Against Zoo, its "worst" match up.

fertygo

Shaman closes out the tournament with high roll Tuskar Totemic into 4 mana 7/7 into discounted Thing from Below into Doomhammer lethal...

Against Zoo, its "worst" match up.

I'm not sure Aggro Shaman has such a thing as bad matchup anymore

this is reaching secret pally nearing standard level

sibarraz

Banned
I'm playing strifecro Control Mage, and holy shit, is very entertaining. I won my 3 matches testing the deck.

Thankfully for all this matches, cabalist tome always gave me some AOE, otherwise, I would have lost

I still want to shoehorn yogg in the deck, but so far it doesn't seem necesary

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm playing strifecro Control Mage, and holy shit, is very entertaining. I won my 3 matches testing the deck.

Thankfully for all this matches, cabalist tome always gave me some AOE, otherwise, I would have lost

I still want to shoehorn yogg in the deck, but so far it doesn't seem necesary

Which version are you running?

It's the Hollywood movie effect. Movie studios realized that good films don't make a lot of money because the larger audience is disinterested in them. Instead, they make Michael Bay-esque films with dubstep and massive explosions every 20 seconds while an incoherent plot unravels in the background. So card games could choose to be high in quality, or create Yogg-Sauron and enjoy 22,000,000 people watching videos of crazy things happening before they unload $60 for a card game to have that kind of explosively passive experience.

It's the Hollywood movie effect. Movie studios realized that good films don't make a lot of money because the larger audience is disinterested in them. Instead, they make Michael Bay-esque films with dubstep and massive explosions every 20 seconds while an incoherent plot unravels in the background. So card games could choose to be high in quality, or create Yogg-Sauron and enjoy 22,000,000 people watching videos of crazy things happening before they unload $60 for a card game to have that kind of explosively passive experience.

We finally have the michael bay cod comparisons to hearthstone. Life complete.

fertygo

Dragon Warrior is very strong, but that deck predictable as shit.. honestly if your deck not too weak and not had horrible hand, you can formulate your way to turn around even if dragon warrior perfect curve and consistently win against dragon warrior.

Its not surprising that deck not perform too well on tourney lately. But its great ladder deck because its very consistent to reach specific winrate.

butts

Atiesh equipped - Nourish > Doomguard
Drawn cards give me a Swipe > Kor'kron Elite

I might have felt bad for him but I almost couldn't have lost at that point anyways.

Welp, played 6 games, won 6 games. Back to rank 18 despite not playing much at all last month.

This Karazhan Shaman deck has pulled off some clutch wins, even against a ramp druid which I don't think I've ever beaten with a more aggro deck.

Spirit Claws and Maelstrom portal are pretty nifty.

patchday

Here are my win rates with Beast Druid over the last couple weeks.

Is that output from HDT?

We finally have the michael bay cod comparisons to hearthstone. Life complete.

lol

Welp, played 6 games, won 6 games. Back to rank 18 despite not playing much at all last month.

This Karazhan Shaman deck has pulled off some clutch wins, even against a ramp druid which I don't think I've ever beaten with a more aggro deck.

Spirit Claws and Maelstrom portal are pretty nifty.

you running Thalnos?

Shinypogs

RIP pantry spiders you have been replaced by jeweled scarabs. Their health is trash but the discover battlecry is simply too good when I can get extra copies of animal companion.

For people who have played hearthstone on a tablet how does it feel/ function. I use it on my phone when it's late at night and I don't wanna be on the pc and aside from crashing whenever i spend too much time in my collection it functions fine and feels intuitive. I'v been thinking of picking up a tablet this holidays for multiple reasons and wondered if it;s worth putting hearthstone on the tablet should I get it or if i should just stick to pc and phone.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Good RNG helps makes every game be a new experience to keep things fresh. Draw a random card or summon a random x-cost minion can be good at accomplishing that without it being game deciding most of the time. The few times it is game deciding it's fun enough to see from time to time. I think Piloted Shredder RNG was pretty good because of this, until it got played so damn much that you experienced every result multiple times and the fifth time you see doomsayer/milhouse it's no longer fun.

RNG that's just bad are things like Implosion or Tuskar Totemic where you have just the 3 or 7 outcomes, and the game often gets decided by what is almost a 50/50 coinflip.

The first yogg in recent memory... that did not put my opponent very far ahead of their position..

Sprint... wow.
arcane blast on my recruit... okay
Avenging wrath... well, damn.
Shadowstep on yogg... wow.
something finished tirion off... ugh.
force of nature... wow.
Astral communion... queue victory music...

Dude was getting destroyed all game. He deserved to lose that game. But it was nice seeing Yogg backfire, because it hasn't for my opponent's in a long time. Even multiple times they play it while in fatigue, they came out ahead and not dead. One time at 3 hp he got gang up. Another time the mage was at full health but in fatigue and it mysteriously played zero card draw.

I had a thought earlier today. Maybe yogg should be limited to 5 mana or less spells, like servant of yogg saron. Maybe even limited to 4 or less. I dunno. Card seems too good with too much RNG. It's a bad combo. Kinda like how tinkmaster and nat pagle were, but times 10.

gutshot

RIP pantry spiders you have been replaced by jeweled scarabs. Their health is trash but the discover battlecry is simply too good when I can get extra copies of animal companion.

For people who have played hearthstone on a tablet how does it feel/ function. I use it on my phone when it's late at night and I don't wanna be on the pc and aside from crashing whenever i spend too much time in my collection it functions fine and feels intuitive. I'v been thinking of picking up a tablet this holidays for multiple reasons and wondered if it;s worth putting hearthstone on the tablet should I get it or if i should just stick to pc and phone.

The game feels great on a tablet, provided it is powerful enough to run it well.

Shade of Aran heroic had to be one of the easiest heroic bosses to date.

Nah, the easiest heroic was the one where you both started with 10 mana. There was like zero difference between the normal and heroic modes.

Levi

Banned
Yogg should stop casting spells if it's killed, transformed or returned to hand. It's garbage that it just keeps going.

How does a dead Yogg keep casting spells from beyond the grave? I don't know Warcraft lore but I'd think a dead god would have its spell-casting ability crippled.

I also think it's dumb that the player who plays Yogg doesn't get the overload if an overload spell is cast.

Maybe Yogg would fulfill it's original purpose as a "fun" card instead of a "I'm losing but if I play this card I could just win lol" card if Yogg cast random spells on random targets for random players. Maybe Yogg wouldn't be so good if there's the potential it could cast Call of the Wild for your opponent. Of course, there'd still be those games where it casts Call of the Wild for one player and Astral Communion for the other, but if Yogg wasn't so consistently good we wouldn't have to deal with it so much so those occasions would be a lot fewer in "real" games (tournament or ladder). Let's put Yogg Soron back in casual mode where he belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom