• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidyj

What combo decks have there been that have been healthy for the game?

Freeze Mage is awful.
Worgen OTK is awful.
Old Patron was awful.
Oil Rogue was awful.
Anyfin is/was awful.
Combo Druid was awful.
Leeroy has been awful forever.

The list goes on. None of these decks have been even remotely healthy for the state of the game.
I miss Patron and Oil Rogue
Druid was never a combo deck, not really.

Pooya

[Everything that I lose to] is awful.

Oil rogue was bad for the game, when? lol.

Complaining about current otk worgen deck is just low man. That deck is barely even tier 3.

Dahbomb

The handlock discussion got me thinking about what the next rotation of Standard will be like assuming no nerfs. Obviously it's crazy to even begin thinking about it but we would have a baseline for it.

WARRIOR

Control/Cthun Warrior: Loses Justicar as the main armor gain tool. Has to start using stuff like Ironforge Portal for the armor gain, maybe even put Armorsmiths in. Control Warrior get completely over shadowed by Cthun Warrior which should be the superior choice. Cthun Warrior can't use the Brann Doomcaller Emperor combo though... two of those cards are going out. No Revenge either so back to WWs.

Tempo Warrior: Nearly identical to what it is now, will replace Dragon Warrior as the more aggressive Warrior archetype.

Bolster Warrior: RIP in peace.

Dragon Warrior: RIP in peace.

OTK Worgen: No Emperor might be enough to make it RIP in peace.

Patron Warrior: RIP in peace.

WARLOCK

Zoolock: Loses Imp Gang Boss and Dark Peddler but pretty much everything else is identical. Zoo is always gonna Zoo.

Renolock/Handlock: Loses Reno Jackson so RIP in peace Renolock. Have to go back to classic Handlock. Yeah..... it can definitely come back but the tools need to be provided.

HUNTER

They will lose Quickshot, King's Elekk and Huge Toad... and that's it. Least affected class to be honest. No way is Midrange Hunter going to go away, I can't imagine them adding much in the next two expansions that can make Midrange Hunter a non factor. They will throw in whatever best 2 drop is in the game for next rotation to fill the gap, they still have Kindly Grandmother and Fiery Bat.

They are losing Lock n Load which means no more meme Hunter decks but it's whatever. If Slow Hunter was going to be a thing then it won't be in Standard because it's losing a lot of stuff but if it's not a thing now it won't be at beginning of standard.

MAGE

Tempo Mage: Loses Flamewaker, Ethereal Conjurer and Arcane Blast... rest is mostly the same. I think losing Flamewaker is a big deal but it can be recovered from.

Freeze Mage: No Forgotten Torch means Freeze Mage has to go back to Antonidas build. No Emperor either which is a big deal. Probably would still be a tournament only deck like it is now but quite a bit weaker.

DRUID

Beast Druid: Loses Savage Combatant, Living Roots, Mounted Raptor, Druid of the Flame and Druid of the Saber. Pretty big losses to be honest, I don't know if they can survive losing 2/3/4 drops in the curve.

Token Druid: Loses Living Roots and Mulch that's it... should still be very strong.

Ramp Druid: No more getting cheesed by Astral Communion at least. Should be in a fine spot for Standard to be honest, not much has changed for it.

PRIEST

Resurrect Priest: Loses Resurrect which is like half of that deck LMAO. But it seems like they are supporting the archetype as the next Priest thing so it will probably stick around.

Control Priest Priest: Loses Entomb, Museum Curator and Excavated Evil which are big tools to lose for Control Priest. Haters of Priest rejoice but people who love Priest will groan.

Dragon Priest: RIP in peace.

PALADIN

Control Nzoth Paladin: Loses Uldaman and Solem Vigil which are a big deal but will remain mostly unchanged.

Anyfin Paladin: RIP in peace.

Aggro Paladin: As long as Divine Favor exists, some form of Aggro Paladin will be playable. Loses Argent Horserider though.

Dragon Paladin: RIP in peace.

Secret Paladin: RIP in peace.

ROGUE

Miracle: Losing Tomb Pillager is a big deal but I think they will manage. It's really dependent on the meta.

Rogue really hasn't gotten much in the last few expansions so they have the least to lose to be honest.

SHAMAN

Aggro Shaman: No Tunnel Trogg, no Totem Golem, no Tuskar Totemic, no Lava Shock. Massive nerf to the archetype.

Control Shaman: No Healing Wave, no Elemental Destruction, no Ancestral Knowledge, no Lava Shock. Massive nerf to the archetype.

Midrange Totem Shaman: No Thunderbluff Valiant, no Totem Golem, no Tuskar Totemic. Still has 4 mana 7/7 and Thing from Below as mid game threats so if they get some early game stuff it might be a thing.

Seems like Shaman has to try to make that Spell Shaman thing work because their options are looking a bit grim.

Next two expansions have to do a lot to change up the status quo.

Karsticles said:
I would play this game so much more if Molten Giant were back to its pre-nerf state.
You say that but you won't. You will still get demolished by the meta decks.

You should instead play Malygos Token Druid.

Dahbomb

Still a full expansion to come. Way too early to write off any arch type.
It's pretty safe to say Anyfin Paladin, Bolsters Warrior and Grim Patron Warrior are RIP in peace because the cards that are the name sake of the deck are leaving.

Dragon decks might remain if the next two expansions have a lot of dragons but BRM added a ton of dragons at the same time... even TGT added some.

Raxus

The handlock discussion got me thinking about what the next rotation of Standard will be like assuming no nerfs. Obviously it's crazy to even begin thinking about it but we would have a baseline for it.

*Meta- Analysis*

Next two expansions have to do a lot to change up the status quo.

Yeah I was going back earlier and it is downright criminal the two decks mostly unphased by the meta change are tier 1 and 2 decks (except Dragon Warrior) while everyone gets shat on.

They HAVE to bring old cards into the standard set otherwise wild will be bonkers and zoo will continue to dominate.

They can't keep giving priest board clears for wild too. It is getting god damn silly.

Dahbomb

Yeah I was going back earlier and it is downright criminal the two decks mostly unphased by the meta change are tier 1 and 2 decks (except Dragon Warrior) while everyone gets shat on.

They HAVE to bring old cards into the standard set otherwise wild will be bonkers and zoo will continue to dominate.

They can't keep giving priest board clears for wild too. It is getting god damn silly.
The thought of Blizzard giving a damn about Wild balance...

Szadek

At least Shaman is going to take a huge hit next year.

Tempo mages will only lose Flamewaker, which sucks for them, but the deck might survive without him.

Pooya

I'm not sure why they printed a bunch of dragon support cards this late. It's like printing gorillabot when all the mechs were going away. No one is going to play dragon deck when you don't have twilight guardian or blackwing corrupter, That makes 3 of the better cards in Karazhan obsolete. Unless they intend to bring back new cards to replace them, really unlikely. Instead they could try and build long term plans for the classes with this set instead of band aiding bad old ideas, they didn't do much except with shaman cards.

I don't like tribal decks much, they always ever worked well for aggressive decks, everything else didn't turn out very well. Murloc paladin isn't really about tribal synergy.

Competitive game folks.
I see nothing wrong here.
Druids run her on the ladder

Yeah CoTW is worth it. I crafted it w/o giving it a second thought. My golden rule:
If people complain about a card left & right then it is worth crafting

basic mid range Hunter gets me to rank 15 normally. I usually always stop at 15 though cause I just want the gold rares. If you want to go higher than that then Idk cause I always stop at 15 so far.

I really love to experiment and try out different ideas. I find if I want to climb ladder I need to stay focused on an optimized deck which can get boring for me

I like experimenting too, but I also like getting to rank 5, lol. I have yet to do that in Standard. I think the highest I've gotten is 8. I can still get to 5 every month in Wild though (god bless Mad Scientists).

I actually ended up spending 2000 gold on packs and I have no regrets. I fucking cleaned up.

1xCotW
1xDoomhammer
2xEaglehorn
1xMalkorok
1xHerald Garbage
1xSoggoth
1xFaceless Manipulator
1xFeral Spirits

And quite a few golden rare, epics, and golden epics. One pack had 4 epics in it....my mind was fucking blown.

Ended up getting like 1100 dust just from the dupes. I haven't even gone through to trash the golden stuff I don't want.

Raxus

Dahbomb (and everyone else), I am actually curious. What would you keep in standard from all the past sets? Choose 2 cards from each class and several neutrals.

What nerfs would you introduce?

Levi

Banned
I want Sludge Belcher, Deathlord, Death's Bite and Justicar. But I don't want anyone else getting anything, so in reality I don't want any cards getting shoe horned into standard.

Wild exists.

If anything there are too many cards that'll never rotate.

patchday

I see nothing wrong here.

I like experimenting too, but I also like getting to rank 5, lol. I have yet to do that in Standard. I think the highest I've gotten is 8. I can still get to 5 every month in Wild though (god bless Mad Scientists).

I actually ended up spending 2000 gold on packs and I have no regrets. I fucking cleaned up.

1xCotW
1xDoomhammer
2xEaglehorn
1xMalkorok
1xHerald Garbage
1xSoggoth
1xFaceless Manipulator
1xFeral Spirits

And quite a few golden rare, epics, and golden epics. One pack had 4 epics in it....my mind was fucking blown.

Ended up getting like 1100 dust just from the dupes. I haven't even gone through to trash the golden stuff I don't want.

wish I had soggoth. Nice!!!!

Raxus

I want Sludge Belcher, Deathlord, Death's Bite and Justicar. But I don't want anyone else getting anything, so in reality I don't want any cards getting shoe horned into standard.

Wild exists.

If anything there are too many cards that'll never rotate.

I'd assume if it limits card design they will eventually ban/nerf a standard card like they did last rotation.

Levi

Banned
I'd assume if it limits card design they will eventually ban/nerf a standard card like they did last rotation.

I'd rather see those cards rotate than get nerfed. If they'd rotated Molten Giants instead of nerfing them I could still play classic Handlock the way I remember it.

Dahbomb (and everyone else), I am actually curious. What would you keep in standard from all the past sets? Choose 2 cards from each class and several neutrals.

I need my Flamewakers. I'd want to keep Arcane Blast as well. The amount of times Arcane Blast has bailed my ass out is ridiculous.

I want Mad Scientist too. Sue me. I'm not gonna lie, I'm biased as hell

But for a more reasonable answer, I'd want Reno Jackson to stick around forever. He just makes things too interesting.

The rest I'm kinda whatever about. There are a lot of cards I would like to return to a pre-nerf state....or just not be nerfed so hard.

And I don't like nerfs unless something is clearly broken, so there's not much I would want to see get hit...even the stuff I hate. Maybe Power Overwhelming though. that card just ruins my day.

wiibomb

Reno Jackson.

Reno Jackson should be placed in the classic. That card enables a whole meta that is not available without him.

I've been wrecked so many times by reno combos but I recognize they are awesome decks

For standard the idea is that we get new powerful cards that don't necessarily replace reno but give strong deck building options.

The only card I hope we get back in standard is healbot. But I also hope we get stronger healing options as well.

Dahbomb

Oh man this is a doozy.

I am going to limit it to 5 neutrals I would bring back and 2 class cards each. Not choosing class Legendaries either, that would be kinda cheating the rarity distribution a bit.

CARDS I WOULD KEEP IN STANDARD

MAGE:

Echo of Medivh: This card is too cool not to be a staple Mage card.

Duplicate: Same for Echo, this enables the value Mage archetype. It also means you have to be careful of killing Mage minions.

SHAMAN:

Elemental Destruction: I think Shaman needs to have access to a board clear that is bigger than Lightning Storm. Without this it's very hard to play a Control Shaman.

Either Healing Wave or Ancestral Knowledge: Shaman needs good draw and good heal to make anything other than aggressive decks work. I can't choose both of these so I think either one of them would be fine. I wish Healinv Wave would be reworked so it didn't use the Joust mechanic so I would lean more towards Ancestral Knowledge.

Honorable mention: Reincarnate

ROGUE:

Gang Up: I think this card is very cool even if it may not be the best card to use.

Shadowcaster: Another super cool card that I hope is always in Rogue's arsenal so that they can make some sick combos.

Honorable mention: Dark Iron Skulker.

PALADIN

Solemn Vigil: It's not the most exciting card but Paladin kinda needs the draw and it limits what they can do without good draw. This isn't even the best draw but it's better than nothing honestly.

Selfless Hero: Solid 1 drop for Paladin and Paladin basically has no early game. It's a nice starter minion to have for the class when building a cheap deck which currently is hard to do because all their early game is in other sets.

HUNTER

Steamweedle Sniper: Always been a cool card I thought. It's not particularly good but it's a good way to utilize the Hunter hero power that isn't smorcing.

Nothing else, Hunter has had terribly designed class cards in the past. If they want to make Deathrattles a class identity of Hunter then let them keep Feign Death.

DRUID

Poison Seeds: Druid lacks a way to deal with a board of large sized minions, this was their only option and it was taken away. This is a really essential tool to have for a class IMO.

Mulch: Druid should have a solid single target removal in their basic class arsenal. That way they aren't always designing the class around it not having a basic tool.

PRIEST

Light of Naaru: This card is very cool and versatile. I was sad to see it leave.

Shrink Meister: Priest has a lot of attack restricted spells and Shrink Meister was really the only way to manipulate it. This is a card that Priest desperately needs in their basic arsenal.

WARLOCK

Dreadsteed: This card is super cool and can build an entire archetype.

Darkbomb: Because **** turn 1 Mana Wyrms.

Warlock hasn't had a lot of cool cards to be honest. Dark Peddler is nice but it enables Zoo too much.

WARRIOR

Death's Bite/Ravaging Ghoul: I feel like Warrior can be allowed to keep one of these.

Not much else to be honest, I would rather just keep Grim Patron for Warriors.

TOP 5 NEUTRALS I WOULD KEEP

Healbot

Zombie Chow

Reno Jackson

Grim Patron

Either Eater of Secrets or Kezan Mystic as a built in Secret tech option

Top 10 Cards I would nerf from Classic/Basic (since the other stuff will rotate out anyway)

Doomhammer/Rockbiter Interaction: I would fix the combo but not nerf any individual piece by itself.

Execute: Should go to 2 mana, I think it's finally time.

Azure Drake: Card is one stat too high for how good/versatile it is, too much of an auto include in the game for so long.

Abusive Sergeant: 1 stat too high.

Power Overwhelming: Should be a +3/+4.

Divine Favor: Because **** Divine Favor, should go to 4 mana.

Innervate: Because I am tired of cheating non sense.

Preparation: Rogue hasn't gotten good spells in forever because Blizzard is still afraid of Prep shenanigans. Probably better to nerf it slightly and let Rogue live.

Animal Companion: Mostly the Huffer part but seriously **** this card in general.

Alexstrasza: About time they nerf that card too, even if its a slight nerf. Losing 15 HP to one card that you can't really counteract never feels good.

These 10 cards are basically what a lot of people were predicting would get hit before this year's Standard rotation so this isn't anything new to be honest.

Competitive game folks.

And you still could have won with a leeroy topdeck heheh

Book Wyrm is surprisingly useful in Dragon Warrior.

Yeah, I am a big fan of it. But currently I am only running 1 to fit brann bronzebeard. That mofo... so good. 2 dragons off historian. Double the discount on dragon consort lets you azure drake for 1 mana which at 7 mana (with previous consort played) lets you brann, dragon consort, azure drake double draw. Love it. Dragon consort in general is just great with bronze beard. Enables those sick combos.

Book Wyrm is surprisingly useful in Dragon Warrior.

Is it just me or is the wording a bit off?

It's a Dragon but the Battlecry text says "if you have a Dragon in your hand". To make it clear I feel like it should say "if you have ANOTHER Dragon in your hand".

But I guess it does make sense since the Battlecry doesn't occur until the card leaves your hand.

wiibomb

It's a Dragon but the Battlecry text says "if you have a Dragon in your hand". To make it clear I feel like it should say "if you have ANOTHER Dragon in your hand".

But I guess it does make sense since the Battlecry doesn't occur until the card leaves your hand.

when you release the card, there isn't another dragon in your hand, so the battlecry (which I suppose activates until the card is summoned) is activated, but without counting itself as a card in hand.

I don't think it is badly written, it is just a little weird

Ladekabel

it is! I also made a paladin dragon deck to try it along with Netherspite Historian and it has been working better than I expected

(outside of ladder, tho)

I run a Dragon Warrior list with Netherspite and Book Wyrm I saw Sjow play in a stream. Book Wyrm was effective in all my rank matches so far. Killed a Dragon Mages own Book Wyrm. Helps against Zoo, too. This is low ranks though.

It gets the yellow outline when its Battlecry can be activated.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OTK Worgen: No Emperor might be enough to make it RIP in peace.

OTK Worgen is an old deck. Worgen + Charge + 2x Rampage + 2x Inner Rage is still 10 mana without Emperor. It was a fringe deck before and it's a fringe deck now. I don't think that'll ever change.

Tempo Mage: Loses Flamewaker, Ethereal Conjurer and Arcane Blast... rest is mostly the same. I think losing Flamewaker is a big deal but it can be recovered from.

Mana Wyrm means that some kind of aggressive spell-heavy deck will always exist in some form.

Salex_

are you complaining about yogg while playing zoo

I have no chance. I can't stand playing against all of these Hunters. Zoo isn't anywhere near as bad as Yogg though.

EDIT: Just lost another game I was about to win because my opponent used Yogg twice. Such an amazing competitive game. I can't climb ladder when I'm constantly getting wins stolen with this bullshit card.

I think it's funny that Hearthstone has Innervate, because the equivalent in MtG, Black Lotus, is considered one of the best cards ever made and completely broken if you get the right draw.

Also, I wonder if Sprint would need a buff if Preparation got a nerf, since the two cards are basically designed to work together.

I think it's funny that Hearthstone has Innervate, because the equivalent in MtG, Black Lotus, is considered one of the best cards ever made and completely broken if you get the right draw.

Also, I wonder if Sprint would need a buff if Preparation got a nerf, since the two cards are basically designed to work together.

the equivalent would be dark ritual since you always have 1 mana in HS and it ramps you by 2 not 3

ViviOggi

Damn son ADWCTA & Merpa are going in HARD in the latest Lightforge episode, like legit tired of the game hard. ADWCTA especially just went ham on Blizz

Was playing a Paladin who spammed Taunts and Divine Shields.

Sunwalker
Hogger
Faceless Manipulator -> Hogger
Psycho-O-Tron
Defender of Argus

Had to topdeck Raven Idol to give me a spell for lethal. Immediately afterwards went and added more spells to my deck.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

I've never really played Magic, but I look at cards like Ancestral Recall, Timewalk, or Skullclamp and then Innervate suddenly looks adorable.

clav

Damn son ADWCTA & Merpa are going in HARD in the latest Lightforge episode, like legit tired of the game hard. ADWCTA especially just went ham on Blizz

Who isn't tired of the game?

Same decks.

Same matchups.

Same heroes.

Can only play fun decks at low tier ranks.

Expansion brought zero game mechanics.

Levi

Banned
I just played against a Druid player who went coin/innervate/nourish for draw on turn 2.

On turn four he played swipe/innervate/wild growth.

He then played a gadgetzan which just died to my board.

I have no idea how this 💡 got to rank 16.

Dahbomb

Kripp's Arcane Giant Miracoli deck is tight. Just draw out your deck with spells then play 0 mana 8/8s, Gang Up and draw into more 8/8s. Upto 8 Arcane Giants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom