• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Paladin is really fun and actually pretty solid right now. Wonder if it will actually be able to survive after the next rotation. I'm guessing probably not.

Levi

Banned
Who isn't tired of the game?

I've been reinvigorated with Karazhan and the changing meta.

Same decks.

Today I've played Control Mage and Spellpower Shaman, and I've been climbing.

Same matchups.

I've faced Pirate Warrior, Beast Druid, Maly Druid, Discardlock on my climb along with the usual suspects. I've seen more variety today than I have in a long time. I expected mostly Hunters, Shamans and Dragon Warriors, but I've hardly seen any.

Same heroes.

Do you have 9 golden heroes? If not, I'm not sure what your point is. It'd be a balance nightmare to introduce a new class into the game. I hope they *never* do that. If they want to change it up, give us more ways to alter our hero powers.

Can only play fun decks at low tier ranks.

That's a personal choice, and besides, how you define fun might not be the same way I define it.

Expansion brought zero game mechanics.

Plenty of new ideas in Kara. Good mix of "fun" cards with competitive cards. Multi-tribe synergy (Curator, Zoobot) was brand new idea in Kara. We got our first neutral weapon with Atiesh. Kara was a pretty decent little adventure, and the meta hasn't really settled yet afterwards. Remember, it took two months or so past Old Gods before the best deck in that meta (Dragon Warrior) was figured out. There's plenty of unexplored territory. It's only natural that the first thing people do with new cards is slot them into existing archetypes.

Right after new content is released is the best time to play the game imo. I'm sure in a few months I'll be as sick of the game and jaded as everyone else, but for now I'm having more fun than I have had in a long time.

New hero powers would be welcome.

I've never really played Magic, but I look at cards like Ancestral Recall, Timewalk, or Skullclamp and then Innervate suddenly looks adorable.
There's a reason Ancestral Recall and Timewalk are banned from play. :p

Duelyst used to have Timewalk.

With the addition of Barnes, Innervate is approaching broken territory.

Kripp's Arcane Giant Miracoli deck is tight. Just draw out your deck with spells then play 0 mana 8/8s, Gang Up and draw into more 8/8s. Upto 8 Arcane Giants.
I saw this deck. Definitely interesting.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
There's a reason Ancestral Recall and Timewalk are banned from play. :p

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Skullclamp looks like a 1 mana Explorer's Hat... that also draws 2 cards.

That seemed more broken than almost anything else...

Don't you need fairly decent understanding of magic to know why Skullclamp is bonkers?

I did a quick check on what an artifact was, and it looked like a buff spell that basically stayed on the board. It seemed analogous to explorer's hat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Skullclamp looks like a 1 mana Explorer's Hat... that also draws 2 cards.

No even worse it gives +1/-1, meaning attaching it to a 1/1 kills it and you draw 2 cards. Which easily makes it a repeatable draw 2 for 1 mana.

Making 1/1s is very mundane in mtg.

Levi

Banned
To swing the subject away from how much everyone hates this game (lol) how about we all list our top three favorite cards from Kara?

1. The Curator. A 6/8 Taunt that comes with a free Arcane Intellect if you build around it? This card reminds me of Reno Jackson, a card with a powerful effect that asks you to build your deck a certain way to get value from it.

2. Spirit Claws - 1 Mana, 9 Damage. Another card with a powerful effect that asks you to build around it. I've been having a lot of fun with Spellpower Shaman today, and this card has carried me to some wins. Worst case you get a ping in a class that usually doesn't have one, and best case you get a cheaper Fiery War Axe with an extra charge.

3. Medivh's Valet - Best entrance dialog and the effect is quite powerful.

Least favorite cards:

1. Kindly Grandmother -- Ugh.

2. Barnes -- UGH.

3. Onyx Bishop -- STOP WITH THE 4/7S ALREADY.

I didn't mention Skullclamp because I don't know about its legal status - it was released after I stopped playing. It isn't quite as nuts as it seems, though, since artifacts can be directly destroyed and you can burn a minion on reaction to the artifact play to make it fizzle - there are some really clear and easy answers to it. I'd say it's comparable to Rancor in the Urza block, which was a fantastic card I loved, and what I wanted Explorer's Hat to be.

I didn't mention Skullclamp because I don't know about its legal status - it was released after I stopped playing. It isn't quite as nuts as it seems, though, since artifacts can be directly destroyed and you can burn a minion on reaction to the artifact play to make it fizzle - there are some really clear and easy answers to it. I'd say it's comparable to Rancor in the Urza block, which was a fantastic card I loved, and what I wanted Explorer's Hat to be.

No, no, no it's completely busted it got banned in standard which happens very rarely.
burning a 1/1 so they don't draw 2 cards is already card disadvantage for you since they'll just spew out another 1/1 and draw anyway.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
No, no, no it's completely busted it got banned in standard which happens almost never.
burning a 1/1 so they don't draw 2 cards is already card disadvantage for you since they'll just spew out another 1/1 and draw anyway.

Generating a 1/1 in Magic about as easy as the Paladin hero power?

No, no, no it's completely busted it got banned in standard which happens very rarely.
I quit right when equipment was introduced. If you burn the minion when the equip is taking place, does the artifact just stay in neutral play? If so, then I understand why it's broken, and I wasn't understanding the card correctly the first time.

To swing the subject away from how much everyone hates this game (lol) how about we all list our top three favorite cards from Kara?

1. The Curator. A 6/8 Taunt that comes with a free Arcane Intellect if you build around it? This card reminds me of Reno Jackson, a card with a powerful effect that asks you to build your deck a certain way to get value from it.

2. Spirit Claws - 1 Mana, 9 Damage. Another card with a powerful effect that asks you to build around it. I've been having a lot of fun with Spellpower Shaman today, and this card has carried me to some wins. Worst case you get a ping in a class that usually doesn't have one, and best case you get a cheaper Fiery War Axe with an extra charge.

Least favorite cards:

2. Barnes -- UGH.

Yes I'm already tired of Injured Blademasters being resurrected non-stop.

But I just got one in my last pack.

So...

I quit right when equipment was introduced. If you burn the minion when the equip is taking place, does the artifact just stay in neutral play? If so, then I understand why it's broken, and I wasn't understanding the card correctly the first time.

yes. The stays in play until specifically gets destroyed and it costs the equipment costs to get attached to a minion, if the target of the equipment becomes illegal (i.e. gets destroyed in most cases) the attaching just fizzles (gets countered) and you have to spend mana again to attach it to a different creature.

yes. The stays in play until specifically gets destroyed and it costs the equipment costs to get attached to a minion, if the target of the equipment becomes illegal (i.e. gets destroyed in most cases) the attaching just fizzles (gets countered) and you have to spend mana again to attach it to a different creature.
How could WotC not foresee that as a problem?

While I wish Hearthstone had something like enchantments, I've always thought that artifacts, as a separate entity, were annoying. There's just too much you have to tech against.

How could WotC not foresee that as a problem?

While I wish Hearthstone had something like enchantments, I've always thought that artifacts, as a separate entity, were annoying. There's just too much you have to tech against.

Equipments were new for testers as well and the card changed a lot in development. Once they are off to printing there can be no changes. The real busted cards are usually cards that change late and were barely tested.
Going on right now as well there's a 2/3 for 3 that battlecry saps a creature and it and creatures sharing the name can't be played the next turn. Was made for draft (arena) and not sure if tested at all.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Let's talk the most important thing in Hearthstone: Entrance/Attack Dialogs

The usual suspects are still great: Follow da Rulez, I Can Wait No Longer, etc

Have we seen any movement there?
  • Medivh's Valet
  • Prince Malchezaar
  • Medivh the Guardian
  • Babbling Book
  • Priest of the Feast

All are strong contenders for amazing entrances alone. Babbling Book is maybe the funniest/happiest card in the game, and PotF REALLY loves funnel cake. Mehivh's Valet is also hilarious and just proves the mage bias in getting good lines is real.

Overall Mage looks to be top of the charts for cards with good sounds. Followed by Priest mostly for The Funnel Cake Lord (as he rightly should be called), and then everyone else hoping to get by with the already good cards they have or using some of the cool neturals.

Least favorite cards:

2. Barnes -- UGH.

Just a few thoughts:

Curator is 4/6, not 6/8. That'd be insane at 6/8 btw. It's not really arcane intellect by a mile. In some ways it's better because you fish for specific cards. But in a huge way it's worse because you can't pull spells from it and spells are very strong in the late game where you need faster impact.

Spirit claws... really good. It's like they took the concept of a rogue weapon they added in GVG but made it good because they chopped 2 mana off the price tag and they made the condition potentially triggered by their hero power. This should have been a rogue card imo.

My favorite 3:
Netherspite historian. Dragons are great. A 1/3 for 2 that works in a control deck... awesome. Even small bodies in the early game like this can slow down aggression quite a bit, and certainly a lot more than a 1/1 from hero power can. And many times I've gotten strong late game dragons that lead to a win. Onyxia... deathwing... ysera... and even dragon consort is a good pick up. If you keep this and twilight drake in hand, you can use the twilight drake to enable historian to pick up a dragon that then enables twilight drake. Really really good synergy here.

Ivory Knight. Discover... plus a heal. Fish for cards you need at the time while slowing the game down quite a bit. Works great and paladin isn't heavy on 6 mana cards anyway.

Swashburglar. Finally a rogue 1 drop that is actually pretty great.

These came to mind first, so I guess they're my top 3.

Kripp's Arcane Giant Miracoli deck is tight. Just draw out your deck with spells then play 0 mana 8/8s, Gang Up and draw into more 8/8s. Upto 8 Arcane Giants.

Sounds like a rip off of my arcane giants decks with gang up :p

But to be fair, I ran into that deck day one of arcane giants, so kripp is miles behind.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yo I just beat Hunter who played highmane into COTW into COTW with a patron warrior that never drew patrons.

17 attack frothing just too strong for him.

cHinzo

U got a decklist? This Thief Rogue I'm playing atm doesn't really have a big power play. :|

is the most consistent discolock really the one with no succubuses/TKOE? it seems alright but i'm suprised succ isn't a staple, feels weird not using a forbidden with councilman and knife juggz too

Dahbomb

My favorite cards in the set are Curator and the two new Dragon cards. Medivh is kinda cool too I guess if a bit slow. Also Ivory Knight.

Least favorite are Warden, Barnes and Grandmother. I don't like the portals either.

Here's what Kripp used:

https://youtu.be/MJXOiHZGQI8

fertygo

Arcane Giant and nothing else, maybe the Huntress actually my favorite even if I don't play hunter at all

its shame the trap hunter still not good enough

• Medivh's Valet
  • Prince Malchezaar
  • Medivh the Guardian
  • Babbling Book
  • Priest of the Feast

All are strong contenders for amazing entrances alone. Babbling Book is maybe the funniest/happiest card in the game, and PotF REALLY loves funnel cake. Mehivh's Valet is also hilarious and just proves the mage bias in getting good lines is real.

Overall Mage looks to be top of the charts for cards with good sounds. Followed by Priest mostly for The Funnel Cake Lord (as he rightly should be called), and then everyone else hoping to get by with the already good cards they have or using some of the cool neturals.

Do you hear its call?

God it's annoying when your opponent has the most unlikely answer in the first 4 turns to your back to back twilight drakes. It's not like mage mulligans for fireballs... yet he had them back to back for some reason.

That level of smorc after losing to cthun because he got multishot off some rng card to win by 1 turn in fatigue... that sucked.

wiibomb

• Medivh's Valet
  • Prince Malchezaar
  • Medivh the Guardian
  • Babbling Book
  • Priest of the Feast

what?? no book wyrm??? oh, barbaric...

for me book wyrm, medivh's vallet, priest of the feast and Medivh The Guardian are my favorites..

PotF might actually be one card that affected me in real life, after I remembered his entrance dialog I also remembered his golden card picture and I got hungry
(yes, I'm weird)

Medivh he Guardian might very well be the best intro of any legendary in history, it is glorious and it has a quite a song in background

Shinypogs

If I add a second highmane and call of this wild ( remove the alpha wolf and infest) this deck should get me from 14 to 10 this month, correct? I mean obviously I have to improve my own play along the way but the I just wanna know if the deck itself should be capable of getting there if I'm competent enough at using it.

I'm thinking of dusting my shifter zerus for a second call of the wild since I can't seem find a home for the little dude.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
If I add a second highmane and call of this wild ( remove the alpha wolf and infest) this deck should get me from 14 to 10 this month, correct? I mean obviously I have to improve my own play along the way but the I just wanna know if the deck itself should be capable of getting there if I'm competent enough at using it.

I'm thinking of dusting my shifter zerus for a second call of the wild since I can't seem find a home for the little dude.

Link to the actual deck page not the deck building page. It is impossible to look at that page on mobile.

Yeah, hearthpwn sucks. But basically any deck with double cotw can easily hit rank 10 and further.

Pooya

I don't think nightbane templar is even good in the dragon lists I see around. It would make sense if the deck had buffs or could use the bodies for something like knife juggler. Since you can't make a early game deck like that to work favorably against the current meta, it's just better to not play them. Blackwing tech is most of the time just better.

Now if you're not doing that, you're building a almost control deck then what's really your win condition. Murloc or N'Zoth are just better. Dragon Paladin would still feel mediocre. So you just have to try the first type if you want to play dragon, Kibler is doing that, otherwise why play dragons.

I feel you need some buffs to make cards like Historian or Templar not be really bad bodies that can't get any good trades. Blessing of Kings is too slow for a dragon deck, that leaves you with divine strength or BoM as the best things you have. BoM is probably better since your minions are all high hp low attack. Then the next problem is that you can't fit all the dragon cards, healing and some top end cards you'd want. It's so hard to come to a decent list and I don't think it will ever be amazing. You can easily not play any high value card if you have brann, you can save Historians and get value cards in match ups you'd need them. I think it's correct to just have Tirion to be your only big guy. Maybe a Rag. Ivory Knights you probably play one. Too bad you can't rely on it to cover your heals. I wish divine strength wasn't so terrible, could easily print a +2/+2 card for 2 mana, that'd be ok. Look at mark in druid. The card would still be sub par but I'd try it. See, the problem here is that paladin only has too balanced cards right now.

Not sure about what rank it would get you two but 2 Highmanes and 2 CotW is always better than 1. I'm probably gonna give in and play some hunter to climb because as much as I love playing priest, it's just such a pile of ass compared to other classes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just played a warrior using malchezaar who conceded immediately. I don't blame him, i wouldn't want to play a game with malchezaar either.

got a deck? just washed kibler used his but the curve is autolose to aggro anything.

also real talk: dragon consort is not a good card

Using this, it's been pretty solid for me so far. Far from perfectly refined though I'm sure.

dpld5bb4a.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sorry here's a screenshot. http://imgur.com/a/BoEZ7

If you want to be boring/competitive you can ditch the jeweled scarabs and the infest for the second highmane, cotw and a hungry toad or second unleash. I assume you don't have LoE for the Quick Shots?

But infest plus unleash the hounds sounds fun for an empty hand. And discover cards are always fun too. They make your deck a little less competitive, but whatever.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
This game has genuinely fun decks and a good control matchup is very fun to me personally, but you cant play the fun decks because you only test them against the very worst of the aggro spectrum and you cant play a really fun control game because if you dont prioritise for aggro you lose.

Then you get those rare games where you have built a sort of control deck that can just about handle aggro with good card draw and face a full greed control priest and cry into your cereal.

Dahbomb

I don't think nightbane templar is even good in the dragon lists I see around. It would make sense if the deck had buffs or could use the bodies for something like knife juggler. Since you can't make a early game deck like that to work favorably against the current meta, it's just better to not play them. Blackwing tech is most of the time just better.

Now if you're not doing that, you're building a almost control deck then what's really your win condition. Murloc or N'Zoth are just better. Dragon Paladin would still feel mediocre. So you just have to try the first type if you want to play dragon, Kibler is doing that, otherwise why play dragons.

I feel you need some buffs to make cards like Historian or Templar not be really bad bodies that can't get any good trades. Blessing of Kings is too slow for a dragon deck, that leaves you with divine strength or BoM as the best things you have. BoM is probably better since your minions are all high hp low attack. Then the next problem is that you can't fit all the dragon cards, healing and some top end cards you'd want. It's so hard to come to a decent list and I don't think it will ever be amazing. You can easily not play any high value card if you have brann, you can save Historians and get value cards in match ups you'd need them. I think it's correct to just have Tirion to be your only big guy. Maybe a Rag. Ivory Knights you probably play one. Too bad you can't rely on it to cover your heals. I wish divine strength wasn't so terrible, could easily print a +2/+2 card for 2 mana, that'd be ok. Look at mark in druid. The card would still be sub par but I'd try it. See, the problem here is that paladin only has too balanced cards right now.
That's how I see it too.

Dragon Paladin is a fine deck... it's just too balanced. It's an ACTUAL Midrange deck, which means you can't kill your opponent by turn 7-8 unless they play nothing.

The Templar has been the most underwhelming card in that deck too but there are hardly good enough replacements. It does work against Zoo though.

Pooya

Like, nightbane templar is a conditionally marginally better razorfen hunter. Unlike other dragon cards it's not doing too much for its mana cost. Razorfen is terrible, adding another 1/1 doesn't make him amazing, far from it.

Then you have warrior, 2 mana 3/3 with charge. It's stupid busted for its cost or priest has 2/3 for 1 or 2/4 taunt for 2. All of these cards when their condition is met are amazing for their cost. They're why a dragon pirest or warrior are worth exploring.

There is no reason to play dragon paladin. The best thing they have is ramp for dragons by playing 5 mana 5/5, still mediocre, in a deck that would end up with SIX 5 drops then. Yeah.

Nightbane templar doesn't need buffs and most lists run at least one keeper of uldaman anyway. It's just a high value flexible 3 drop. I think it's better than blackwing tech by a large margin, although bw tech might be a bit better against slower decks, it's very weak towards faster decks which is where you really want your 3 drop to be strong against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom