• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Brode and Blizzard devs talk about RNG, Communication and Yogg:

http://www.hearthhead.com/news=2557...ks-rng-improving-communication-and-yogg-saron

Simon Welch@coL_Sottle2d
@IksarHS honest question, 30 damage from Frothing to face, more or less fun and/or interactive than Yogg?
ReplyRetweetFavorite

August Dean Ayala@IksarHS2d
@coL_Sottle They clearly both lack interaction. Both were fun decks to play, though. Nothing black and white. Reliability is the diff here

Yogg confirmed to be non interactive.

manhack

It is sad seeing people get upset over the meta and even feeling like there is nothing they can do and while I understand this, and sometimes get pissed at this game for fucking me over due to bad RNG and such, I think there are other ways to approach the game and still have fun. Yes, the game has problems, but it always had problems.

I think people just expect things out of the game that aren't meant to be taken from a game like this. I want to go more in-depth on my thoughts here, but I think it is better to focus on how I've been playing the game and with what classes.

I have a long History with the game so have been trying to play the less represented classes with my own, homebrew decks. Including: Dragon Burgle Rogue, Curator Dragon Paladin and Control Shaman. The lower represented classes were played with janky decks to get quests completed. Here are my stats for the month:

f9dC6aJ.png

My thoughts:

• I have been lucky to not face Shaman and Hunter as much. My Stats for the past few months show that Shaman is the only class I have a less than 50% win rate against. If Shaman was the only class I faced, then I would probably be more salty overall, but I might have changed my decks more too.
  • Crushing Warrior and Druid, which are 2 of the top tier classes. I think this has helped a lot.
  • Paladin is the least played class in the game right now, even less that Priest, and I've still managed to keep an insane win rate. I have a 59% win rate with Paladin over the last 3 months.
  • I do well with rogue and my last 3 months win rate is almost 70%.
  • Control Shaman is a lot of fun, but it is Shaman, and quite frankly they are the OP class at the moment, so not much take away.
  • The best thing I ever did was start running Track-o-Bot and HDT for stats. I use HDT to see if a deck is working. It takes at least 50 games to get a good sense if a deck works, but I will usually make tweaks if it is giving me a bad losing streak. I like Trackobot for long term stats like the ones pictured here. Each month I can look back and see if things were really that bad. (Yes, sometimes they are lol)

• If you are making your own decks you can't expect to jump into the game and start winning. You need to track stats, make changes and sometimes realize that it's not going to work.

I might post some decks later in the month after I get some more stats. It really is possible to get Rank 5 every month doing your own thing, but I suspect many people jump into the game, play 5-10 matches and get frustrated if they lose a lot or vindicated when they win easily with the flavor of the month.

Levi

Banned
How did the quest bug work? Because I'm 99% sure my dummy account still has it.

I haven't gotten anything but 40 gold or tavern brawl quests for two weeks.

Was it client side or server side?

Yaboosh, you don't start getting quests higher than 40 gold until you've completed enough 40 gold quests. You probably haven't unlocked high value quests on your smurf account yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yaboosh, you don't start getting quests higher than 40 gold until you've completed enough 40 gold quests. You probably haven't unlocked high value quests on your smurf account yet.

Hah well there you go.

Any idea on the number?

Levi

Banned
Hah well there you go.

Any idea on the number?

Here's a write up I found:

There are currently 2 Tiers of Quests.

One are the 40 Gold Quests, which you will get as soon as you unlocked 5 heros and 2 premade Quests.The Tavern Brawl Quest (60 Gold), although not playable at that state (you need a character at lvl 20 for that) is the only exception.

Those are called the Tier 1 Quests, which every new account has access to right at the start.

The other are the Tier 2 Quests, which include the 60 Gold, the 80 Gold, the Watch and Learn and the 100 Gold. (Basically all the Quetst that are out there.)

Those you unlock after you have done 10 Tier 1 Quests. Of course by default you will need to play ranked or unranked games to complete them and will level up your heros in the meantime. But as i said thats not the point. The point is to complete 10 Tier 1 Quests. After that you should have access to Tier 2 Quests.

The bug where everyone was only getting 40g quests was because they accidentally reset us all to tier one quests.

Salex_

I'm constantly losing to random bullshit like this. At this point the only way I could have lost was Yogg, but he somehow got Pyroblast from a 1 mana 1/1 minion....

And before anyone brings up Yogg, I have no chance but to put it in the deck. 2 AOE removals are worthless in this meta and by the time Revenge becomes decent you already lost.

EDIT: 1 match later I get paired up against a Hunter. I controlled the board the entire game, used every single armor gain possible, there was no call of the wild on turn 10...and I still lost. All he did was literally attack face and dump his hand to my face. I give up trying to use Control decks. It's just not going to work.

I watched rostys (spelling) completely dominate with control warrior yesterday. Prob the first time I ever was entertained watching someone play control warrior too. He was top 10 legend when I started watching him play control warrior btw.

Did he climb with that deck? I just can't comprehend how anyone can climb with that considering all the Hunters on ladder.

I guess I'll try Dragon Paladin again and if that doesn't work, I'll just use Aggro Shaman to hurry up and get rank 5 lol.

I'm constantly losing to random bullshit like this. At this point the only way I could have lost was Yogg, but he somehow got Pyroblast from a 1 mana 1/1 minion....

And before anyone brings up Yogg, I have no chance but to put it in the deck. 2 AOE removals are worthless in this meta and by the time Revenge becomes decent you already lost.

EDIT: 1 match later I get paired up against a Hunter. I controlled the board the entire game, used every single armor gain possible, there was no call of the wild on turn 10...and I still lost. All he did was literally attack face and dump his hand to my face. I give up trying to use Control decks. It's just not going to work.

I watched rostys (spelling) completely dominate with control warrior yesterday. Prob the first time I ever was entertained watching someone play control warrior too. He was top 10 legend when I started watching him play control warrior btw.

Playing Tavern Brawl, play Tirion and then give it a Banana.

Next turn opponent plays BGH and Ooze to destroy the weapon. Instant concede.

Ranked, have a dragon Priest on the ropes, he plays Medivh and gets only Taunt minions from his staff. Even double CotW can't push through it and I lose, barely.

manhack

Did he climb with that deck? I just can't comprehend how anyone can climb with that considering all the Hunters on ladder.

I guess I'll try Dragon Paladin again and if that doesn't work, I'll just use Aggro Shaman to hurry up and get rank 5 lol.

I'm not going to pretend Control Warrior is great in this meta, but I have seen NaviOOT and Fibonacci climb the ladder with N'zoth Control Warrior. It is possible C'thun Warrior is still the best control Variant though.

Salex_

I'm not going to pretend Control Warrior is great in this meta, but I have seen NaviOOT and Fibonacci climb the ladder with N'zoth Control Warrior. It is possible C'thun Warrior is still the best control Variant though.

I checked Fibonacci's twitter and he implies that the N'zoth variation is the best if you just want to climb the ladder. I'll try it out. It definitely looks like the most boring CW version though. I would love to see their match-up stats.

manhack

I checked Fibonacci's twitter and he implies that the N'zoth variation is the best if you just want to climb the ladder. I'll try it out. It definitely looks like the most boring CW version though. I would love to see their match-up stats.

Yeah those guys also play a ton of games. I usually just play enough to get to Rank 5 and that can be 250 - 300 games easily.

So they need insane win-rates or long play hours to get Legend every month like they do.

bjaelke

There's a version with Fool's Bane, Violet Illusionist, Malchezaar and the new portal doing it rounds on ladder if you want fun.

bjaelke

How does hidden mmr work? Is there a different mmr for ranked and casual?

Yes separate mmr for those modes. New (casual) players will have to play a few games before they get matches against experienced players. Not sure about the number, but there's a grace period before the game throws you to the wolves.

manhack

Pretty hilarious running into an Anyfin Paladin with my Paladin list. I have Vilefin Inquisitor and Murloc Knight. Between the murloc hero power and the Murloc Knight tokens the chance of an OTK are zero. It also makes playing Murloc Warleader extremely awkward.

Then you're doing it wrong, because html5 doesn't have chat.

http://player.twitch.tv/?channel=nl_kripp&html5

That's Incredible!

I'm glad i found a Malylock list. Only Warlock list I ever really enjoyed.

What's that, like 9 damage fists of Jaraxxus?

Pretty hilarious running into an Anyfin Paladin with my Paladin list. I have Vilefin Inquisitor and Murloc Knight. Between the murloc hero power and the Murloc Knight tokens the chance of an OTK are zero. It also makes playing Murloc Warleader extremely awkward.

Murloc Mirrors are hilarious. People get real cautious about playing cards, like it's a knife fight with frogs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wow. I had the spectate a friend quest so I watched mine who was playing a warrior mirror. He was using the Malchezaar warrior list and was against a N'zoth warrior.

I saw him right before a yogg, and he didn't seem to play too many spells. The opponent's board was Cairne and Infested Tauren.

The yogg hexed the cairne, played two buff spells on the frog, twisting nether to wipe except for the 2/2, then played moonglade portal to summon sylvanas, ganged up syl, played thistle tea which drew 3x syl, and finally a light in the darkness with gave him a fuckin N'zoth.

The rest of the match was dumb as hell. My friend played 4 different sylvanas' before the other guy conceded, and obviously that's a strong ass minion that's tricky to remove, plus he had double brawl which meant when the opponent would N'zoth he would pretty much get fucked over. Best part? My friend doesn't even have Syl in the deck. And as hilariously dumb as the mass syl res would be with nzoth he never had to play it.

I feel like most of my posts here lately are all yogg centric so sorry about that, but I am constantly stunned by this shit. Control mirrors used to be my favorite type of match, you both carefully using your resources and thinking many turns ahead. Golden Monkey made that pretty silly sometimes but there was still a lot of skill knowing when was the right time to play it based off what removal they had, and post-old gods got a lot less reliable since they would hold the god until after you played monkey.

Now you can, on top of all the board clear/drawing shenanigans, pulling any amount of any class secrets, etc. literally create any possible minion, create multiple resources, mess up the potential fatigue race by generating resources...man.

Like, I guess that match is one hell of a story. But that was a ~15 minute match that the other dude got blown out in out of nowhere.

Ladekabel

What's that, like 9 damage fists of Jaraxxus?

Before Standard the idea was to beat your opponent with Malygos + 2x Dark Bomb + 2 Soul Fire for 30+ damage after Emperor. Now it comes down mostly to double Soulfire for 18. Though more often than not I won through board control.

For Standard? Curious to see such a list.

Yes, for Standard. Though the loss of Zombie Chow and Antique Healbot hurt the most.

List i found on Hearthpwn:

malylockmisfh.png

Worked alright for me so far though that was ~ Rank 15.

Dahbomb

Kripp said last night that he expects the Arena balance to change a lot with the new changes which I found surprising.

He said that Mage may no longer be the best class and classes like Druid and Warrior will give a Mage a run for the spot. I think someone else did the numbers on that too.

Full video should go up today, also looking forward to the ADWCTA video.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
By taking out several mage commons, other powerful mage commons like flamestrike and fireball just became more common. Plus mage still has the best hero power. Mage will not be dethroned.

well adwcta's has said that 2 drops have been bumped up on the tier list multiple times since kara's release since there's just too few of them and how valuable they are and mage did just lose one of their two drops so who knows how thatll affect them

Xanathus

Kripp said last night that he expects the Arena balance to change a lot with the new changes which I found surprising.

He said that Mage may no longer be the best class and classes like Druid and Warrior will give a Mage a run for the spot. I think someone else did the numbers on that too.

Full video should go up today, also looking forward to the ADWCTA video.

Can't see how Mage wouldn't still be the best class, it still has the best commons with Frostbolt, Fireball, Polymorph, Flamestrike, Firelands Portal, etc.

Dahbomb

Can't see how Mage wouldn't still be the best class, it still has the best commons with Frostbolt, Fireball, Polymorph, Flamestrike, Firelands Portal, etc.
He said that classes like Druid and Warrior are getting a massive bump by not having their bad cards show up at all. And Warrior always did well against Mage.

I also don't agree with him but I haven't actually crunched the numbers so I am just speaking from gut feeling.

ViviOggi

well adwcta's has said that 2 drops have been bumped up on the tier list multiple times since kara's release since there's just too few of them and how valuable they are and mage did just lose one of their two drops so who knows how thatll affect them
Unlike most(/all?) classes they have a new common, near-premium 2-drop with the insane offering bonus though

inky

Priest is a good class against (control-ish) Mage in Arena. Mage might still be top dog, but all these little things might contribute so you won't get 7+ mages in a row every single time at least.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I think the changes will have a bigger effect than people think at first glance. Lots of people (me included) tend to be bad at predicting how useful/impactful small changes are in this game, so I'm guessing removing a lot of these trash tier cards has the ability to give some of these classes really awesome decks now. Druid is looking good IMO. I dunno if they will be as good as mage/rogue have been, but certainly much better.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I can see why Amaz has a reputation for being lucky in this gimick best of 5 against Firebat.

Who else uses Holy Wrath on face on curve in a best of 5 and gets a freaking 25 damage from it?

Edit: Guess his luck isn't perfect. Reverse sweep on Amaz's Spirit Claws malygos deck because Amaz couldn't roll any spell power totems. Happy to see Firebat continue on this crazy tournament thing Amaz came up with.

Levi

Banned
I decided to update my homebrew N'zoth Control Warrior deck I run in wild for Karazhan, took it on the ladder to test it out, and was faced with a guy who was running the netdecked pre-Karazhan version of Dragon Warrior.

Why he was running an out-of-date standard list on the wild ladder, I don't know, but it did bring something to my attention I hadn't much considered.

His tempo deck could not deal with two Deathlords and three Sludge Belchers (thanks N'zoth). He ran out of removal without being able to deal with N'zoth, and even if he topdecked Deathwing I could have easily dealt with it.

Makes me sad that we don't have any really great anti-aggro / anti-tempo cards in Standard.

In case anyone is curious, here's my Wild NCW list:

QHMs2Di.png

I was thinking of including Barnes but the negative synergy with Deathlord is too much of a downside.

wiibomb

all I want right now is to reach rank 10 and I'm in so much trouble with it.

neither the Hyena Hunter or the Dragon Warrior is helping me..

I swear I'm thinking about making an aggro shaman

Levi

Banned
I swear I'm thinking about making an aggro shaman

You're probably better off making a midrange shaman, imo. Check out Boar Control's current list. Very strong on ladder and more fun to pilot.

I'm super tilted right now because I just faced a priest in the standard ladder who, thanks to Barnes, Onyx Bishop and Resurrect, played 3 Sylvanas and 4 Cairns against me.

I conceded after the third Sylvanas, there's no way I could deal with his Nzoth and no way I could kill him before he drew it.

I thought Priest sucked to face when it was all light bomb and entomb and steal all your shit, but now that they rely on high-rolling with bullshit RNG cards they are 4000x less fun to play against.

Why didn't any of resurrects bring back the Northshire Clerics he played? Why did Barnes hit Cairn instead of Injured Blademaster? Why can't they just dumpster Priest once and for all for the good of the game?

Jadax

Being a f2p user, what's the point of keeping golden cards? Wouldn't it make sense to dust goldens so that I can craft cards I need?

And gold that I'm saving up, buy adventures with it?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Being a f2p user, what's the point of keeping golden cards? Wouldn't it make sense to dust goldens so that I can craft cards I need?

I definitely dust all golds I don't need and even borderline ones I just don't currently want.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

If you give zero fucks about shininess, dust every gold card.

Okay, why not just ban Shaman then?

I like how people bitched for a year+ that Shaman was terrible and needed help. As soon as they get some good cards people want the class ripped apart.

The Hearthstone community really does suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom