• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

It does seem like with every Hunter running double CotW, the best strategy is too just go rambo on them right from the start to try to put them under enough pressure to back off, since surviving a CotW without a large lead is often impossible. It sucks that the best way to play against the most naturally aggro class is to... be even more aggro.
That's how it feels like playing against Mage in Arena.

Have to be way ahead of them by turn 7.

manhack

It does seem like with every Hunter running double CotW, the best strategy is too just go rambo on them right from the start to try to put them under enough pressure to back off, since surviving a CotW without a large lead is often impossible. It sucks that the best way to play against the most naturally aggro class is to... be even more aggro.

I think this is why my newer versions of Dragon Paladin are doing well. I got rid of equality and Consecration in favor of early game cards because I kept losing the game even after I cleared the opponent's board because most decks just refill the very next turn. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

I even run sea giant as a back-up plan against board flood. Twilight Guardian and Keeper provide mid game stall or control and Netherspite can be used to pull a late game threat or another Twilight to keep board.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I at least understand the thought behind Fiery War Axe being banned from Firebat's tournament. It is a very luck based card because so much relies on if Warrior can draw it by turn 2, and you do hear good players complain about it from to time because of that. I just think those good players that do complain about it would also say there's just not much you can do about it, because getting rid of it without replacement causes its own problems.

It is pretty funny that one of the best anti aggro tools gets a ban at a time when aggro is so hated. Aggro Shaman gets a gigantic net boost against Warrior with only Tuskarr being banned. Probably the same with Hunter and the CotW/Barnes ban.

I do wonder how much worse Aggro/Midrange Shaman will be without Tuskarr when played against decks that aren't also nerfed by bans. It's probably the weakest card in the deck the times it summons a bad totem, but I wouldn't be surprised if the times it summons a good totem is a pretty significant contributor Aggro Shaman's overall win percentage.

Pooya

Kolento said on his stream that he voted Fandral to be banned for Firebat tournament. Is he a rank 20 noob idiot because he doesn't like a strong combo card? tehe.

I think this is why my newer versions of Dragon Paladin are doing well. I got rid of equality and Consecration in favor of early game cards because I kept losing the game even after I cleared the opponent's board because most decks just refill the very next turn. Sometimes the best defense is a good offense.

I even run sea giant as a back-up plan against board flood. Twilight Guardian and Keeper provide mid game stall or control and Netherspite can be used to pull a late game threat or another Twilight to keep board.

what kind of early game you play? Doomsayer? I don't think wild pyro is any good either.

Pooya

You can even make it show your damage to not miss lethal, lol

it's getting really close to automated gameplay. It's quite nice now.

Stats with the community bans of Yogg, Tuskarr Totemic, Fiery War Axe, Barnes, Call of the Wild. In open bracket.

CsCEN1gXgAAlwvH.jpg:large

You can even make it show your damage to not miss lethal, lol

it's getting really close to automated gameplay. It's quite nice now.

How?

"Show board attack counter?"

Pooya

yeah, if you get tunnel vision it's good to have. It's off by default. Unfortunately it can't count the damage in your hand... .yet.

What are these stats of? I am confused a bit. Where are the stats of the other classes?

Firebat posted it on twitter and I just linked it. But it looks like he just posted the top 6 class winrate breakdown from the open bracket with these cards banned 'Yogg, Tuskarr Totemic, Fiery War Axe, Barnes, Call of the Wild."

Warrior and shaman apparently did fine with 2 of their staple cards removed. Shaman seemed unfazed. But paladin did quite well. Surprised to not see rogue do a bit better though tbh.

Dahbomb

Shaman win rate is kinda disgusting. People probably realized that Unbound Elemental is still a GOOD card and just replaced Tuskar Totemic with it or something. This isn't really shocking, only people who don't know that the class is busted are people who are Shaman mains.

Surprised to see Warlock/Mage so low and Warrior so high. People are using King's Defender instead of War Axe? I would've expected Warlock to be a top 3 class in this but this is just open bracket so we'll see how the finals go.

manhack

what kind of early game you play? Doomsayer? I don't think wild pyro is any good either.

I'll post here at this point. I was hoping to get more stats, but I'm 10-0 with this current version. Lucky or not, it is probably my best win streak ever. Combined with another version without netherspite I am 25-5. I took the older version to Rank 5 last season. I actually don't play that much right now, but would like to settle in this weekend for a long session.

Argent Squire, Abusive, vilefin, netherspite and Rallying Blade make for some good early game board control. Nethesrpite is amazing for mid and long game too. Owl looks bad, but had been absolutely amazing since nobody really plays around it. Sea giant has save my ass more times than I can count.

Not to mention some people play around equality + conc so you don't always get crazy boards built up to early. (I say some people because it feels like most just spam the board without playing around stuff.)

Anyway feel free to try it out, but don't be sad if you lose. I typically go on insane winstreaks when I make a new deck. LOL

h2iqrw6.png

Mulgrok

If they wanted to facilitate control hunter all they only need to print a 2-3 mana spell that changes their hero power into "deal 2 damage to any character".

If they wanted to facilitate control hunter all they only need to print a 2-3 mana spell that changes their hero power into "deal 2 damage to any character".
No, what Hunter really needs is card draw. Only class in the game with no real in-class ways to draw cards.
they had steamwheedle that was a creature that did that. just never really took off.
The problem with most of those kinds of cards is that they are either temporary effects or massive tempo losses. Shadowform costing 3 mana is ridiculous. It should cost 1 max.

Dahbomb

Steamweedle was fine as a card, main issue was that you couldn't keep that hero power forever when you used it. You couldn't build your deck strategy around it.

What Hunter needs is a card that changes its hero power permanently (like Finley which also gets used in Control Hunter), actual deck card draw (none of this Infest/Lock n Load garbage) and heals. Without these you can't really make a Control Hunter. If they can't give Hunter heals then give some good neutral heal options.

Burgle rogue makes for great stories. I just had a turn where I auctioneer + prep + lock n' load + prep + burgle. Drew 8 cards with only like 6 open card slots and I burned ethereal peddler from draw the next turn... but it was worth it.

Shaman win rate is kinda disgusting. People probably realized that Unbound Elemental is still a GOOD card and just replaced Tuskar Totemic with it or something. This isn't really shocking, only people who don't know that the class is busted are people who are Shaman mains.

Surprised to see Warlock/Mage so low and Warrior so high. People are using King's Defender instead of War Axe? I would've expected Warlock to be a top 3 class in this but this is just open bracket so we'll see how the finals go.

I see all sorts of people make stupid mistakes with shaman. This guy maelstrom portal'd and lightning bolted AND had a spriit claws BEFORE rolling a spell power totem. Only the FOTM decks play that bad rank 10+.

Steamweedle was fine as a card, main issue was that you couldn't keep that hero power forever when you used it. You couldn't build your deck strategy around it.

What Hunter needs is a card that changes its hero power permanently (like Finley which also gets used in Control Hunter), actual deck card draw (none of this Infest/Lock n Load garbage) and heals. Without these you can't really make a Control Hunter. If they can't give Hunter heals then give some good neutral heal options.

This is kinda like arguing priest should have a god curve just like everyone else. Each class needs to have it's own identity and playstyle and for hunter at least that seems to be light on the class card cycling. I wouldn't mind blizzard giving more class heals out. Not like a direct heal by any means. But something that fits hunter/rogue etc.. Lifelink would be cool.

manhack

Warrior and shaman apparently did fine with 2 of their staple cards removed. Shaman seemed unfazed. But paladin did quite well. Surprised to not see rogue do a bit better though tbh.

While I don't think the stats prove anything yet, they definitely are in line with my thoughts on Tuskarr. It is annoying RNG, but quite frankly it is not the main reason Shaman is so good. I think there is just too much synergy to remove a single card.

Trogg, Tuskarr, Thing From Below, FlameWreathed Faceless and Totem Golem are all non-classic cards that can be subbed out one-by-one.

Blizzard just gave shaman too many tools in the last few expansions in addition to Doomhammer + Rockbiter for 1 card to make a difference.

While I don't think the stats prove anything yet, they definitely are in line with my thoughts on Tuskarr. It is annoying RNG, but quite frankly it is not the main reason Shaman is so good. I think there is just too much synergy to remove a single card.

Trogg, Tuskarr, Thing From Below, FlameWreathed Faceless and Totem Golem are all non-classic cards that can be subbed out one-by-one.

Blizzard just gave shaman too many tools in the last few expansions in addition to Doomhammer + Rockbiter for 1 card to make a difference.

Shaman doing well doesn't surprise me even slightly. I think they take the biggest hit once tunnel trogg is gone. And midrange takes a big hit with thunderbluff valiant is gone. But this of course comes along with totem golem leaving... so even thing from below takes a reasonable hit (although I expect them to add more totems and perhaps totem synergy cards). Tuskar leaving also hits TFB of course.

Dahbomb

I don't really care how they do it while retaining class identity... it's pretty obvious that classes like Hunter need more versatility in their archetypes.

Classes like Warrior, Mage and Paladin can play multiple archetypes. Control, combo, aggro, tempo etc. They can do it because they have the tools to do so. They have the defensive spells/abilities, minion quality and card draw to support it. Hell even Shaman can technically play anything because they got card draw and healing (but it's outclassed by the OP stuff).

I have played this game for 2+ years and Hunter has been playing the same thing forever. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower. Play minions, mash hero power... kill the opponent by turn 7-8.

Burgle rogue providing more great stories...

This zoolock was being cocky. BM'd greeted me mid turn 3 as I was making a decision on what would be worth doing. So I don't even feel slightly bad. Turn 5 comes around, I got 2 coins and a prep and auctioneer, so I decide to go off. I prep'd burgle instead of shadowstrike (only tiny minions meh and I just drew ethereal peddler). I got sacrificial pact! And siphon soul!

Next turn he plays imp gang boss "the pleasure is mine", sacrificial pact, then swash + ethereal peddler. Ethereal peddler got me DOOOOM!

Then he plays doomguard after using his second PO to clear peddler "the pleasure is mine", siphon soul!

Later he conceded. I didn't get to use doooom.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized HDT has hand size tracker on the side... it's silly but feels like a game changer.

As someone that doesn't trust my counting ability at all without recounting over and over to make sure I didn't skip or double count, that thing improved my play a ton. I get tons more time and focus on making a good play without worrying about if that draw 2 card will burn a card.

It's kinda shameful Blizzard hasn't had that from the very start.

manhack

45 minutes to play 3 games. Just another day in the aggro meta folks.

To be fair i did have a couple of Hunters, Dragon Warriors and a Shaman before that, but I think when people are saying the "only" decks they see are x, y and z it may be hyperbole.

squidyj

45 minutes to play 3 games. Just another day in the aggro meta folks.

To be fair i did have a couple of Hunters, Dragon Warriors and a Shaman before that, but I think when people are saying the "only" decks they see are x, y and z it may be hyperbole.

The hearthstone community? Exaggerating?
Never!

Had my first friend request only to trash talk me on my shitty mage deck because I didn't play it right nor constructed it right nor did I went face to kill him but instead frost bolted his ass for him to send angry messages then remove me lolol

Am I doing it right gaf?

Levi

Banned
First game today, get high rolled by an Aggro Shaman who can't even properly position his minions.

Lost all the will to ladder.

Queue again, get some fucking priest who can't possibly win, get fucking disconnected after already wasting what seems like an hour, can't reconnect, why does this game fucking hate me.

Xis

Doing terrible in Arena, so I switched to ladder. Pretty new to the game, but managed to assemble a decent Dragon Paladin deck from mostly adventure cards and I am loving it.

So been struggling for awhile at rank 10 and today got the 7 win quests and went 7-1 only lost to zoo.

N'Zoth pally should be the 2nd strongest pally deck right after murloc paladin.

Thank you

I don't really care how they do it while retaining class identity... it's pretty obvious that classes like Hunter need more versatility in their archetypes.

Classes like Warrior, Mage and Paladin can play multiple archetypes. Control, combo, aggro, tempo etc. They can do it because they have the tools to do so. They have the defensive spells/abilities, minion quality and card draw to support it. Hell even Shaman can technically play anything because they got card draw and healing (but it's outclassed by the OP stuff).

I have played this game for 2+ years and Hunter has been playing the same thing forever. Sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's slower. Play minions, mash hero power... kill the opponent by turn 7-8.

I agree as someone who plays Hunter. Needs a heal or a secret equivalent to ice barrier.

At least cloaked huntress makes things a little interesting

patchday

Had a quest for druid this morning (I let 3 quests build up so had to logon to do at least 1-2). Went like 0-4 no lie! And this was just Casual too (I never bring druid to ranked)

Died to lots of face decks (plus I'm just not used to Druid). Anyway, got triggered and made a Freeze mage to make life hell for all this aggro at my MMR. Locked them down pretty good. only had time for 1 ranked match and did ok there too.

No longer salty :)

Still stuck with that Druid quest but I at least finished the others (using my Mage lol). need to try different decks for Druid... just havent been motivated to play it cause I dont have Fandral yet which is in like every Druid deck. planning to craft Fandral next month tho

As someone that doesn't trust my counting ability at all without recounting over and over to make sure I didn't skip or double count, that thing improved my play a ton. I get tons more time and focus on making a good play without worrying about if that draw 2 card will burn a card.

It's kinda shameful Blizzard hasn't had that from the very start.

Maybe they want us to feel like we're at a game board in real life? Or maybe they were lazy I dunno

Everytime my friends see me running HDT they think I'm hacking. But thanks I didnt know HDT counted my hand. This helps me out since I like playing control-type decks so I end up with 9-10 cards in hand sometimes.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
How is renolock in wild? Is it a bad matchup against secret paladin?

I want to dip my toe in to the wild pool, and was going to craft dark bomb, sludge belcher, implosion, piloted shredder and antique healbot and throw them into my renolock and see how it goes.

patchday

How is renolock in wild? Is it a bad matchup against secret paladin?

I want to dip my toe in to the wild pool, and was going to craft dark bomb, sludge belcher, implosion, piloted shredder and antique healbot and throw them into my renolock and see how it goes.

Climbed from rank 20 - 17 in Wild when I ran it last week. my renolock runs Prince Malechezar so it can pull in some wild legendaries. You got a lot of good cards there. I will probably craft Piloted shredder for the deck

I feel kinda bad for my opponents cause Reno is such a shatty card to be honest. I think its unfair for someone to heal to full. But its Wild- where there's all kinds of crazy cards so it makes you even. Prince Malechezzar has really helped that deck out. Only deck I run Prince in right now

Not sure if I face a Secret Paladin. Maybe I did? Cant remember. Think that deck went 70% win rate but keep in mind it was from 20 - 17

sibarraz

Banned
So I matched a hunter twice on casual using a renomage

The first time he defeated me with CotW and some BM taking a long ass time to play Kill Command.

Then I killed a coined King Elekk (which revealed my reno) with frostbolt and later a toad with forgotten torch, then on turn 3 he disconnected.

Does Hunter start crying if they don't have a board by turn 3? I thought on adding him to banter him a little, but I don't want to reach that level

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I figure I will need to craft some gvg and naxx cards sooner or later because I am going to want to use all the cards that I already have from tgt loe and brm when they rotate out.

patchday

Classic Reno bitching from aggro player lol

do you mean me? I dont think you're referring too me right cause you know I got bounced up to 20 in standard. Control Shaman is my favorite deck I crafted like every card for it (including Hallzeal). Mage is my next favorite but I'm going to be running Freeze + Medivh + Yogg probably. but if that plan fails I'll go back to tempo

edit- I cant recall what deck I was running that got me bounced up to 20. HDT claims my control shaman deck is still 60% but I just dont have a lot of time to run it due to the long matches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom