• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

Miletius

Any examples? Because it seems to me that people complain about Yogg because it's busted, not because they bad players.

I don't on hand. It's not because It's not that I think that people are bad players. But what I mean by that, and I'll clarify more below, is that oftentimes people will examine board states where they think they are ahead and then get Yogged, and they say, "I lost because of Yogg." Where truthfully, they were actually just ahead in their eyes, without the perspective of the full state of the game in front of them. In your particular case earlier you totally deserved to win and that's different. I believe that Yogg ought to be adjusted or eliminated because of these type of scenarios. But, I also don't think that every-time a Yogg comes down, the person playing it just stole a win.

It should a rare occurrence where Yogg is played while you're losing, so most of the games you lose when Yogg is played against you is probably because of Yogg.

It's not like there's a counterplay to it unless you're super ahead, and it's not like you can be expected to get super ahead when the rest of their deck is just a normal constructed deck.

The thing is, it's a matter of degree. Yes, the best time to play Yogg is when you are behind. But, the degree in which a player is ahead isn't actually clear to any one player unless you have complete knowledge of the game (which you never do). Take, for example, a back and forth game where you have 3 minions on board, and lethal next turn. You have lets say, 15 health, he has 10. He plays Yogg, wipes your board and it gives him the game. Did you get robbed of the win in this scenario? From your perspective, of course. He was going to lose until he played Yogg. Instead he won. From his perspective, however, he feels justified in the win. He used his resources efficiently, kept the game close and then used Yogg when he needed to use him to get him the win.

Using that example, it is hard for me to say outright, "no your opponent didn't deserve it." I think about combo decks, which operate around the same mentality. Does an anyfin paladin deserve his win? People might feel cheated by that deck as well, because their whole gameplan is to stall until they have enough resources to burst you down. You can be ahead the entire game but if they get their combo then there's nothing you can do about it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
yogg loses you a game you almost already lost, so im not sure why you keep making that point of yogg losing games where you are certain to win.

Levi calling Yogg a "win button" that requires no setup might be a part of it.

Also just because a Yogg deck is ahead doesn't mean it's certain to win.

5 reached in wild easy af once I stopped queueing into the same guy. Was a strange journey. 20 to 10 losing once, around 10, 11 for 3 or so days. Change list streak down to 7 going 13-1.

Also TIL flare is the superior anti secret tech.

Now I can ladder for fun in standard again.

Mulgrok

This hunter deck is doing surprisingly well for me. 13-1 so far, but only rank 12

rtFtSk6.png

EDIT: of course as soon as I post this I go second against 2 face decks with god hands.

inky

LOL this Evolve Shaman Kripp is playing. Evolved into Antonidas with Coin + 2nd Evolve in hand, gets 2 Fireballs from those and Antonidas evolves into Tirion. Opponent uses Mulch on Tirion which gives him a Windspeaker (He also had an 8/8 on board from the Evolve).

That was pretty funny.

fertygo

So that firebat tournament also announce Player had right to ban 1 card

CsNj20tWAAAU3M-.jpg:large

I assume all of those card can't be in any deck in final day?

rip Druid

Dahbomb

So that firebat tournament also announce Player had right to ban 1 card

CsNj20tWAAAU3M-.jpg:large

I assume all of those card can't be in any deck in final day?

rip Druid
Now we are getting somewhere with this tournament.

Looks like the pros realize that Zoo was still going to be a major presence and just banned out some of its cards.

Not at all surprised to see Innervate and Prep in there. I feel like they all got together to make these bans because it feels very strategic. I do think that there wasn't a need to ban Fandral if you banned out Innervate.

Dahbomb

Tempo Mage is probably the deck to beat now, probably Midrange Shaman too (that uses the new Karazhan cards).

With Councilman gone, that greatly nerfs Flood Zoo and without Doomguard that greatly nerfs the Discard variant.

Suddenly the Dragon Paladin/Priest decks don't look too bad either. Also control Paladin/Priest practically left untouched.

Freeze Mage pretty much removed. Most Rogue decks hurt a lot by not having Preparation. Hunter is too weak to bring now. Aggro Shaman a lot weaker without both cheat Tuskar Totemic and Doomhammer burst. Tempo based Warrior decks hurt with no War Axe, Control Warrior decks can still probably get away with using King's Defender (though that is a big if). Druid can only really play Beast Druid and without Innervate/Ragnaros/Fandral that deck is greatly nerfed too.

Maybe.. maybe... Control Lock finally going to be great?

Xanathus

Based on those bans I'd just bring Malylock/Combolock, Anyfin Paladin, Bogchamp Shaman and/or Tempo Mage without Yogg. I predict most lineups that don't bring those will be susceptible to combo decks.
edit: Also OTK priest.

Xanathus

Another interesting deck to bring would be Lock & Load Secret Hunter, with L&L you can get Call of the Wild without putting it in your deck.

Dahbomb

Based on those bans I'd just bring Malylock/Combolock, Anyfin Paladin, Bogchamp Shaman and/or Tempo Mage without Yogg. I predict most lineups that don't bring those will be susceptible to combo decks.
edit: Also OTK priest.
Feels like there are some aggressive decks that we are missing. Like I imagined Tempo Mage would be good but you have chance of under the radar aggro decks to be used like Aggro Paladin.

Xanathus

Feels like there are some aggressive decks that we are missing. Like I imagined Tempo Mage would be good but you have chance of under the radar aggro decks to be used like Aggro Paladin.

Divine Shield Aggro Paladin is viable too but I'd be hesitant to bring it if I think there would be a lot of Priest. I think Bogchamp Shaman is also now favored against it with Maelstrom Portal.

Pooya

Good thing the format has one class ban...

|f you want to ban a card, you ban gadgetzan, not prep. It's just dumb, no it doesn't make any sense. You can play warrior without axe, you can play druid without innervate. You can't play any rogue without prep, not just miracle.

manhack

Well I guess it says something about how people are feeling about the game when half the Tempo mages I see (and I've been seeing a ton) are running arcane explosion as a standard card.

Been brutal trying to test my current curvestone decklist (murloc priest-seriously) when all my matches are teched to clear the board every turn.

fertygo

Pro opinions, banned preparation. omg,lol.

Well the player who ban prep is from open bracket so I'm not sure how much of "pro" that guy is, altho strifecro n kolento is pretty much retired at this point too.

I think the ban is pretty justifiable tho.

Edit : oh shit the player from open bracket is Ness, nvm then lol

patchday

Good for them to get all those nice bans. Pros really are on a different level from me. I can see the community bans but the bans like Prep and Ice Block surprise me

edit: Not surprising Thijs banned Doomhammer. Watched his stream yesterday and he mentioned how nasty shaman are

greepoman

|f you want to ban a card, you ban gadgetzan, not prep. It's just dumb, no it doesn't make any sense. You can play warrior without axe, you can play druid without innervate. You can't play any rogue without prep, not just miracle.

You just answered your own question? You just argued why it's better to ban prep over gadget. His goal was probably to make it so he doesn't face any rogues.

fertygo

Ness lineup is ultra greedy control lineup

He had control warrior with Malchezar in it lmao

So its made sense he eliminate miracoli

Ladekabel

Is there a guide to Maly Druid somewhere? I can't win shit with the game. Always get overwhelmed. I would say it is because I don't have Yogg but most of the time I'm dead by turn 6 or 7.

Dahbomb

You can play Aggro/Tempo Rogue without Prep.

http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/reynads-tempo-rogue-wswashburglar-august-2016-season-29/

If a class cannot actually function without a single card then they need to redesign it because that is just pathetic.

fertygo

Is there a guide to Maly Druid somewhere? I can't win shit with the game. Always get overwhelmed. I would say it is because I don't have Yogg but most of the time I'm dead by turn 6 or 7.

Well its can't be helped if you matched up with aggro shaman/discard zoo all the time.. but this deck not that relying to Yogg, Yogg shouldn't came into factor in like 8/10 of game.

You hard mulligan for the ramp tool, keep removing each threat and cycling till you can drop Giant or Malygos

btw there's overlooked play with Nourish that can help you won if you do the read properly, you usually want nourish only to draw but you can ramp for 2 with Nourish if you confident you can drop your big boy safely, and while you ramp with nourish you could combo with Wrath or Feral Rage to remove small threat, this is can be tempo swing play in right moment.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
i dont' understand why every resurrect priest i face gets injured blademaster in their opening hand, but when I play priest i can't draw it to save my life

wiibomb

so much bans...

I don't think that's actually good. Yeah it can be nice from a single tournament with a limited scope, but it can hurt the HS community in the long run.

I don't even want to think how the HS devs can work if they start to just ban cards. The game would be pretty messed.

i would absolutely bring C'thun warrior to the firebat tourney. That was the best control deck before Karazhan. Probably bring a renolock or zoo based upon how i'm feeling, definitely a tempo mage, and most likely a spellpower or totem shaman. dragon paladin and malygos druid will wait in the wings?

Par Score

C'thun Rogue.

Dahbomb

so much bans...

I don't think that's actually good. Yeah it can be nice from a single tournament with a limited scope, but it can hurt the HS community in the long run.

I don't even want to think how the HS devs can work if they start to just ban cards. The game would be pretty messed.
The devs aren't going to ban the cards, they will just nerf them.

The reason for a tournament like this is due to decrease in viewership and interest in HS tournaments. It's clearly visible that people are tired of the status quo so tournaments like these are good to shake things up even if it's for a brief moment. It's also good research for Blizzard to see how classes/decks performs without certain cards in them (ie. how good is Shaman without Doomhammer).

Ladekabel

People bitch about playing against Priest but the most unfun match up for me is Tempo Mage. There was always Flamewanker but now with Babbling Book and Cabalist's Tome they can have everything and and exactl the spell they need. They never run out of resources.

Well its can't be helped if you matched up with aggro shaman/discard zoo all the time.. but this deck not that relying to Yogg, Yogg shouldn't came into factor in like 8/10 of game.

You hard mulligan for the ramp tool, keep removing each threat and cycling till you can drop Giant or Malygos

btw there's overlooked play with Nourish that can help you won if you do the read properly, you usually want nourish only to draw but you can ramp for 2 with Nourish if you confident you can drop your big boy safely, and while you ramp with nourish you could combo with Wrath or Feral Rage to remove small threat, this is can be tempo swing play in right moment.

Problem is, in most games I don't have my ramp early and draw the removal when it's too late. But won't give up just yet. It's been 8 games or so without drawing my Mire Keeper or Fandral.

Kettch

Just beat a control warrior with spell mage somehow. Granted he didn't draw Justicar, but I still had to deal about 120 damage straight to his face from my hand, which is exactly where everything went the entire game.

The 26 spell Yogg helped a lot too. Assumed it would kill me, but it only drew 2 cards, dealt about 10 damage to the opponent and gave me 8 armor.

Ladekabel

When the opponent Yoggs, gets his hand refilled, stuff on his board and clears everything except your Rag. The Rag then hits the opponents face for lethal with only a 25% chance. Justice.

Pooya

One of you has a bnet id of wonderblue I think and I was supposed to give you 80g whenever I can. So if you're around, come online so that I can give you 80g.

edit:
It's amazing how trash people are at shaman, like this guy rolled tuskarr into manatide, got 3 cards from it but could not win becuase he messed up flametonuge positioning, people are getting carried hard.

You just answered your own question? You just argued why it's better to ban prep over gadget. His goal was probably to make it so he doesn't face any rogues.

The tournament is there to make a interesting format, not erase classes one doesn't like. Which is why they probably should not have a open slot in a event like this in the first place, and let more imaginative people in not Ness, they should have invited someone like Dog, he's one of the best deck builders. Now you can assume one class isn't even worth testing. It's not about winning, you're missing the point, there is no prize here. Firebat said as much, they're not making any money from this.

A good ban would have been abusive sergeant, not prep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom