• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protect The King
Target Dummy
Bolster

Fun Brawl!

image.php

Sounds like it could be a decent counter to mill druid, gonna give it a try.

Malch Paladin is doing work so far. It's built much more midrange than your typical control deck, with more draw as well, since I am not worried about hitting fatigue much in control mirrors.

So I just played a control warrior where I was the aggressor, drew/played more cards, and was still ahead in fatigue and with a bigger hand. And malchezzar added a millhouse manastorm, ysera, deathwing, one of the 3 drop sisters, and 1 other I didn't draw. Millhouse manastorm helped bait out brawl hard. After that he used his second execute on rag light lord, and ysera was uncontested for the rest of the match and when it got low hp I just dreamed it and replayed it.

And against shaman my early game allowed me to slow him down well enough that after I oozed his doomhammer, I safely went into the late game and won off of just having higher value cards like the evil hogger and tirion. Hex wouldn't have saved him. Even got blessed champion if I needed to accelerate the game.

That's both aggro and control beaten by malcehzzar paladin. I think this could be a nice deck.

What's the $5 bundle?

10 Classic packs with a guaranteed Class Legendary. Seems pretty good, especially if you're missing a bunch of the Class Legendaries. Even if you're not, that's a guaranteed 780 dust minimum.

I just finished up the Brawl quest at 5-1. I also had a 3 wins with Rogue quest, so I played a Rogue deck with Mechwarper, Annoy-o-Tron, and Iron Sensei. The only deck I lost to was Wild Pyro, Equality, and Light Rag. After the gold payouts, I bought 2 WotOG packs to go along with my Brawl pack and wound up opening Y'Shaarj and Harrison. I decided that I've pulled pretty much everything of value from WotOG packs except for Malkorok and Yogg, so I crafted those and will start saving gold until the next expansion comes out.

Shinypogs

Wrecking face in the tavern brawl with fiery bat, cat trick and explosive trap. I do of course lose to people who don't use any spells but otherwise it's just too easy. Even mill druids aren't a problem. I really like this tavern brawl it's fast and fun win or lose.

Kettch

I've been messing around with a Worgen OTK deck a bit after seeing Chakki add in Runic Eggs during the tournament earlier. Maybe that's standard now, but I hadn't thought about using them before.

It's been surprisingly effective. The most difficult part has been trying to draw as much as possible without overdrawing, which is really tough when the super combo has up to 8 parts to it clogging up the hand.

Feels really dirty doing 67 burst damage to finish off a C'thun Warrior.

Levi

Banned
But that's like the least fun deck.

I did Coldlight / Innervate / Naturalize on both Asia and EU because it's cheap as heck to craft and it makes sure my opponents get as much enjoyment out of Tavern Brawl as I do.

None.

Oh, Rogue, you want to Swashburgle and Burgle my class cards? Good luck with no room in your hand.

Priest wants to OTK me with Inner Fire / Divine Spirit? Can't really do that when I naturalize every minion you play.

Warlock wants to get free Silverware golems by playing Imp and Soulfire? Thank for you drawing so many extra cards! Turn 4 and you're dead to fatigue.

Those are literally the only decks I faced doing my 5 win TB quest on EU and my 3 win Druid Quest on Asia. Oh, and one mirror where I drew 7 straight naturalizes and no innervates, so I conceded, which was my only loss.

fertygo

Seems like Karazhan failed to make a significant meta impact. All it did was refine the already top decks (like Token Druid, Zoo and Shaman).

Well the best card from the adventure is the supportive card/or better utilized as supportive card (Arcane Giant/Curator/Barnes) than the card that supposed to be central pieces to build around (Medivh, Huntress)

Eddie Bax

I'm curious whether there's a limited pool of other class cards that the thief rogue cards like burgle etc. pull from, or an occurrence bonus for good cards, or something like that.

I know this is purely anecdotal (haven't played thief rogue so maybe I'm off the mark) but I see decent to crazy good stuff pulled all the time against me, and never garbage like Far Sight or Moonfire.

I'm curious whether there's a limited pool of other class cards that the thief rogue cards like burgle etc. pull from, or an occurrence bonus for good cards, or something like that.

I know this is purely anecdotal (haven't played thief rogue so maybe I'm off the mark) but I see decent to crazy good stuff pulled all the time against me, and never garbage like Far Sight or Moonfire.

I get garbage quite often. Ancestral healing, demonfuse come to mind. Ancestral actually isn't so bad since it cycles with auctioneer and acts as a cheap heal.

You may see what appears to be a lot of good stuff simply because burgle rogue has 8 or so chances to get something great.

Seems like Karazhan failed to make a significant meta impact. All it did was refine the already top decks (like Token Druid, Zoo and Shaman).

It's arguably too early to see meta shifts in tournament play. The expansion has been only out for two weeks and they have to submit their decks ahead of time. People are far more likely to play the safe known powerful decks than take a risk with a deck they haven't tested out completely.

Levi

Banned
Saw a screen shot of Burger Rogue getting three Bolsters off of a Warrior. That's probably pretty bad unless they later steal Fierce Monkey or Protect the King.

Saw a screen shot of Burger Rogue getting three Bolsters off of a Warrior. That's probably pretty bad unless they later steal Fierce Monkey or Protect the King.

At least with bolster, once you play ethereal peddler they can be cycled off auctioneer for no cost. Demonfuse is much worse since you can't play it without a valid target.

Also for bolster, you may get the 4 mana taunt or the 2 mana taunt that gives another minion taunt (so 4 taunts total).

Eddie Bax

I get garbage quite often. Ancestral healing, demonfuse come to mind. Ancestral actually isn't so bad since it cycles with auctioneer and acts as a cheap heal.

You may see what appears to be a lot of good stuff simply because burgle rogue has 8 or so chances to get something great.

That's fair - like I say, I hadn't played the deck. Thanks for the input!

Dahbomb

I actually don't think a lot of the cards are that bad in Karazhan. Most are at least good.

There are two main issues though:

1) Current top deck power level is just too high. It's very difficult for a new deck to prop up and beat the refined decks or be equal to them.

2) Meta is very narrow in terms of the type of decks that get played. That automatically limits the type of cards that you can play.

This is without getting into the overall design of the adventure in terms of mechanics, RNG etc. Main issue with Karazhan cards is that there's a lot of over powered stuff that is stifling the other cards. It's almost a BRM situation again.

Raxus

This is without getting into the overall design of the adventure in terms of mechanics, RNG etc. Main issue with Karazhan cards is that there's a lot of over powered stuff that is stifling the other cards. It's almost a BRM situation again.

Much like BRM a new round of changes are going to have to be made if they want the meta to shift at all because as of now most decks are relatively set in stone.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I actually don't think a lot of the cards are that bad in Karazhan. Most are at least good.

There are two main issues though:

1) Current top deck power level is just too high. It's very difficult for a new deck to prop up and beat the refined decks or be equal to them.

2) Meta is very narrow in terms of the type of decks that get played. That automatically limits the type of cards that you can play.

Very true.

There will always be an OP deck. If you take Firebat's tournament ban list and add flamewaker to that list, you still have Anyfin at the absolute best. But when I create random experimental decks on ladder, I'm not that afraid to face Anyfin or Aggro Paladin. It's certainly a challenge, but it's not like you stand no chance at all like against dragon warrior or aggro shaman.

The gap between tier 1 and tier 2 is just so huge right now, while the gap between tier 2 and the rest isn't that bad.

Dahbomb

Anyfin Paladin is a deck that can be hard countered and farmed, as that Firebat tournament showed.

If Anyfin Paladin was the best deck in the game then I would say that the game was in a good spot. Top decks that can be countered well enough are fine and some deck will always be at the top.

The issue becomes when the top deck's worst match up is 45/55. AND it only has one match up that is below 50%. That's bad for the game.

And yeah the top decks crushing new/experimental decks definitely stifles people from trying out new stuff. Against slower/control/combo decks you have time to get off your gimmicks/strats off... you can't do that against aggro/tempo decks because you have to spend most of your plays/resources just surviving the onslaught.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I started hearthstone for the first time since the final Karazhan wing because I realized Medivh and Call of the Wild is a combo, and 2 out of 3 of my first games was against aggro shaman.

Obviously it didn't go so well, but at least I got the combo off? (His hero power was mage's)

Might have done ok without the Rockbiter+Doomhammer combo to kill both my Tundra Rhino and Cloaked Huntress turn 6, both clearing my board and giving him access to 8 additional face damage.

Played 2 games on ranked today. 1 game vs druid. 1 game vs shaman who got the doomhammer double lava burst skillful game ending play.

Why try developing a board when you can just deal all your damage from hand.

edit:
yay, another shaman highrolls tuskar

Asbel

Fun brawl despite most of the players using the same decks as the last time. Faced like a dozen mill druids so I emote wow then farm them with embrace the shadows, flash heal. Added circle of healing to tech against flood decks too.

Also played medivh, moonglade portal, Astral communion, fun to get two 6 drops but not a good deck.

fertygo

So my yogg just do 19 damage burst to kill my opponent

Its Charge my Yogg > into mind control Grull that came from my mulch > Call of Wild > beast wrath the huffer > curse of rafaamm

3200 dust.. I can taste it

Another game decided by RNG... flamewaker snipes 2/2 with only 2 shots... awesome.

If that didn't happen, I clear his mana wyrm and flamewaker, instead mana wyrm deals 6 damage.

So my yogg just do 19 damage burst to kill my opponent

Its Charge my Yogg > into mind control Grull that came from my mulch > Call of Wild > beast wrath the huffer > curse of rafaamm

3200 dust.. I can taste it

They've never nerfed a card based on outlier results. I'm not sure if they will nerf yogg just because it can deal 19 damage from out of nowhere, that's really rare.

rahji

If i dust my king crush and my millhouse manastorm (which i got yesterday) i have enough dust to craft a legendary. So it will be yogg, but i have to see if i have the other cards for a tempo mage deck.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
My Dragon Warlock Vs his Zoo

Turn 1 pass, turn 2 tap, turn 3 coin Twilight Drake.

I start turn 4 with 13 health and him with lethal on board, including a 4/5 i can't do anything about because a 1/3 taunt is in the way.

Even in the days of leper gnome and face hunter I don't remember turn 2 tap, turn 3 Twilight Drake being that slow.

zoukka

If i dust my king crush and my millhouse manastorm (which i got yesterday) i have enough dust to craft a legendary. So it will be yogg, but i have to see if i have the other cards for a tempo mage deck.

You can use Yogg in Rogue and Druid also.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry I'm so negative today. Seeing firebat's tournament really made me think about how much better hearthstone would be by banning a few super power and super unfun cards.

In order, these are the cards I lost to tonight. Not even classes, just cards that honestly did decide each game. Check the replays if you don't believe those cards decided the match:

Doomhammer
Preparation/Gadgetzan Auctioneer
Doomhammer
4 mana 7/7 but no Doomhammer (my only win of the night, 4 mana 7/7 is not so bad)
Call of The Wild
Darkshire Councilman
Emperor Tharlson (Renolock)
Darkshire Councilman
Ice Block

I'm willing to take suggestions for how to do better, and I might have won an extra few games there by playing better, but it's tiring to have the game be so defined by a handful of super powerful cards.

And I know Shaman sucked with doomhammer once upon a time when his key aggro cards other than doomhammer were Crackle and Whirling Zap-o-matic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom