• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

fertygo

As someone who wants to play Malydruid, thanks for the article. Helps me alot.

Yesterday I lost 8 games in a row with Maly Token Druid. So I thought maybe I record a few games and maybe people in here could help me where my misplays were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD7QvCAbvUg (No music since I mostly watch streams while playing Hearthstone and it recored the stream's audio, too)

Did I mulligan right?

And in game 1: Should I've coined Wrath on the Tunnel Trogg or on turn 2 kill the Tunnel Trogg instead of the Flametongue? Was it right to go all out in the turn I played Fandral?

Game 2: ...Why?

Thanks for help in advance!

Game 2

You really should just use Power of Wild to summon panther there on turn 2 while killing the toad with the toke, its not ideal but that hunter don't have t1 play, don't be greedy take any lead that you can get versus hunter

turn 5 play, personally I'll really go for ambitious play with Nourish get 2 mana crystal + WG there, its will open for really big mana pool with you had innervate in hand, if you topdeck something good its can goes boom, but its risky play that can lead to nothing so I can't fault you to just draw 3

Idk what happened after that nourish draw 3 turn tho, you go fandral + idol and then end turn? why, why not proceeding with innervate + wild? you let fandral die for free

I think both game very winnable if you pick different choice

sibarraz

Banned
Also this is a fucking invitational with tons of name players and fewer than 10k fucking viewers.

Tell me again how Batstone's bans (including that bullshit "fun" card) didn't contribute to its huge viewership.

Competitive Hearthstone is fucking dead.

10k viewers on a friday at mid day is a dead game? Even if could reach better numbers at least 90% of games out there will wish to have a game as dead as hs

Levi

Banned
Should I dust this golden Geddon? Not sure if there are any legendaries I'm missing that I should craft instead.
http://www.hearthpwn.com/members/iG86/collection

Geddon is really good in Warrior in this meta. I wouldn't dust it, you may open or craft those Shield Slams and want to play a slower Warrior deck.

10k viewers on a friday at mid day is a dead game? Even if could reach better numbers at least 90& of games out there will wish to have a game as dead as hs

Competitive Hearthstone is fucking dead. Hearthstone is fine, whatever, who cares. Some people like watching / playing a fucking Yogg slot machine.

As someone who wants to play Malydruid, thanks for the article. Helps me alot.

Yesterday I lost 8 games in a row with Maly Token Druid. So I thought maybe I record a few games and maybe people in here could help me where my misplays were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD7QvCAbvUg (No music since I mostly watch streams while playing Hearthstone and it recored the stream's audio, too)

Did I mulligan right?

And in game 1: Should I've coined Wrath on the Tunnel Trogg or on turn 2 kill the Tunnel Trogg instead of the Flametongue? Was it right to go all out in the turn I played Fandral?

Game 2: ...Why?

Thanks for help in advance!

In game 2, you had Living Roots and Power of the Wild in hand on turn 1. You played Living Roots, but then you traded a 1/1 into his Huge Toad and Hero Powered, the Huge Toad's deathrattle killed the other 1/1. You probably should've played Power of the Wild for +1/+1 while you had 2 1/1s out. The first one would've traded with Huge Toad and the second would've absorbed 1 damage but stuck around until the next turn. Edit: 3/2 would've been better. Trade the 1/1s, take 1 damage to face, get a 3/2. Instead, you finished your turn with nothing on board and allowed him to take over. By the time you recovered, you were really low on health. Yeah, he got lucky with his Rag shot, but just about anything else could've finished you off, too.

fertygo

Breh I know you like Malygos Druid deck... but nah, that win was BS.
lmao,. I call what it is tho when superjj got bs yogg

Did we even watch the same match?

You know hoej was in fatigue right? There was a big chance that gaara would have won that match if destruction didn't clear his board and give him spellbender. Gaara was hitting his win condition while staying out of range of malygos' burst. Meanwhile hoej only had 2 minions (moonglade portals) and yet another huge advantage off yogg RNG - ragnaros. Yogg decided that game. It flipped who held board by a large margin and it disrupted gaara's ability to do what priest does best which is remove things. That's basically the definition of a win off rng.

I don't deny the result was spectacular, but realy hoej still got 1 giant left and 2 portal and 20 damage burst

if Yogg only act like 10 mana 7/5 north sea kraken to face, hoej is pleased.. but of course the actual result is much bigger than that

lmao,. I call what it is tho when superjj got bs yogg

I don't deny the result was spectacular, but realy hoej still got 1 giant left and 2 portal and 20 damage burst

if Yogg only act like 10 mana 7/5 north sea kraken to face, hoej is pleased.. but of course the actual result is much bigger than that

Yeah and the priest had a shadow word death and an entomb. So he plays a north sea kraken for 10? 4 damage? He had 2 minions on board, he could have easily dealt with it with either his board or his spells from hand. Hoej would not be pleased by 4 damage to face. He probably would have lost that.

edit:
I misread your post, a 7/5 for 10 that deals only 4 damage to face, that's a loss. I don't even understand how you can argue otherwise.

Levi

Banned
Found a gif of Hoej winning that game:

giphy.gif

fertygo

Yeah and the priest had a shadow word death and an entomb. So he plays a north sea kraken for 10? 4 damage? He had 2 minions on board, he could have easily dealt with it with either his board or his spells from hand. Hoej would not be pleased by 4 damage to face. He probably would have lost that.

edit:
I misread your post, a 7/5 for 10 that deals only 4 damage to face, that's a loss. I don't even understand how you can argue otherwise.

7/5 is still a threat that must removed,

dragon priest not had any burst, while hoej gonna heal twelve, had 2 six drop, had one giant left

if garaa use all of his removal, malygos will stick

the only way hoej lose that if yogg goes astral communion or made hoej in death in fatigue which I admit very possible because hoej play yogg really really late

I'd say the yogg vs gaara warrior is more significant, like hoej can only win that game because yogg does that much face damage to warrior

sibarraz

Banned
Geddon is really good in Warrior in this meta. I wouldn't dust it, you may open or craft those Shield Slams and want to play a slower Warrior deck.

Competitive Hearthstone is fucking dead. Hearthstone is fine, whatever, who cares. Some people like watching / playing a fucking Yogg slot machine.

Blizzard has never give a crap for competitive hearthstone, in the end this game is still aimed as an streamer game no matter how many changes has the game received or how many claims blizzard gaves that they treat the game as an e-sport

Even if before was not as excessive as today were a single card could turn the tides in a ridiculous way like yogg does, we still had lots of examples like dr 7 or piloted shredder, or decks that were too strong that always saw play on competitive.

At this point if Blizzard really wants to show an interest in competitive gaming, they must change a lot of things in this game, and I'm thinking in more things than just nerf x card to oblivion

7/5 is still a threat that must removed,

dragon priest not had any burst, while hoej gonna heal twelve, had 2 six drop, had one giant left

if garaa use all of his removal, malygos will stick

the only way hoej lose that if yogg goes astral communion or made hoej in death in fatigue which I admit very possible because hoej play yogg really really late

Gaara would never have used all his removal. He knows what deck he is playing against. He had entomb to deal with malygos. Why are you arguing so hard against this? Did you watch the match? If yogg was just a 7/5 he gets dealt with from board and he shadow word death's the giant. And then entombs the malygos.

fertygo

Gaara would never have used all his removal. He knows what deck he is playing against. He had entomb to deal with malygos. Why are you arguing so hard against this? Did you watch the match? If yogg was just a 7/5 he gets dealt with from board and he shadow word death's the giant. And then entombs the malygos.

what he gonna do again minion from portal then?

assuming average result is 5/4, its a threat to going to maly burst range

Why I arguing this much? because its fun, I think hoej gonna win that game almost certainly even without spectacular yogg, I voice that thought in forum post, its fun.

Levi

Banned

This is the guy who called BatStone boing because there was no Yogg. He's more biased towards Yogg than I am towards over powered Warrior class cards.

what he gonna do again minion from portal then?

assuming average result is 5/4, its a threat to going to maly burst range

Why I arguing this much? because its fun, I think hoej gonna win that game almost certainly even without spectacular yogg, I voice that thought in forum post, its fun.

You're arguing that if yogg was only a 7/5 that did damage, hoej wins. That's why I questioned why you're arguing that far. Because that is obviously not the case by any means.

I'm not arguing that gaara definitely wins if yogg is average and dealt with. But he certainly had a really high chance because hoej was out of burst damage after malygos deals limited damage and gets entombed and gaara has a couple top decks to deal with the moonglade portals since they both cost 6 mana.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know it's down to a few decks, but I really like this week's brawl.

My favorite two decks are Shaman to counter Druid or Lock or else Hunter.

fertygo

You're arguing that if yogg was only a 7/5 that did damage, hoej wins. That's why I questioned why you're arguing that far. Because that is obviously not the case by any means.

I'm not arguing that gaara definitely wins if yogg is average and dealt with. But he certainly had a really high chance because hoej was out of burst damage after malygos deals limited damage and gets entombed and gaara has a couple top decks to deal with the moonglade portals since they both cost 6 mana.

Both of hoej portal is 5 mana tho because emperor reduction, that's huge deal.

I just can't see how gaara can deny yogg, 2 portal, and 1 giant to creep to maly burst range

Damn, I should get a lotto ticket. I got Cenarius from my welcome pack, the last class legendary I wanted.

Rest of the packs were dust but I did get some cool golds and a dupe Jarraxus for dust! I can craft another when I need one.

Both of hoej portal is 5 mana tho because emperor reduction, that's huge deal.

I just can't see how gaara can deny yogg, 2 portal, and 1 giant to creep to maly burst range

Easily. 2 random minions off moonglade portal can whiff and be removed or dealt with by his board. Then he is deep in fatigue with no resources to deal damage.

Turns out the only portal not being played is the paladin portal, coincidentally the only portal that goes down 2 mana and offers nothing for a class already lacking sticky minions.

It's just not a very good card, especially considering the other options Paladin has. For buffs, they already have Blessing of Kings and Seal of Champions at or around the same cost. And the number of awesome 4 drops that Paladins have is ridiculous. Truesilver, Consecration, Kings, Murloc Knight, Keeper. It's already impossible to make room for all of those. Blizzard needs to stop giving Paladin low damage, high durability weapons, mediocre buffs, and 4 drops. Those are fucking covered, most of them doubly so.

Farewell

Bought that welcome bundle on my smartphone, but it didn't show me which legendary i got, just going through my collection and i've no clue if it is there, clicked randomly through my legendarys without paying attention to "new". Haha not knowing which legendary i got is killing me (or if i got it at all). Also 0 legendarys and just 1 epic in 10 packs, damn!

He's right, this deck is HARD. Played 3 games in casual against Dragon Warrior, Control Warrior, and Dragon Priest and got crushed in all of them. Maybe it was just bad draws but I could never keep anything on the board or hit face. If I got the god combo I could have one shot the priest but it's mathematically impossible against warrior because armor.

People holding out on old drafts is real. I keep playing people with banned cards they drew from their deck, not discovery etc. I only started playing arena because of the bans, and then I play against people who have a draft advantage.

Turns out the only portal not being played is the paladin portal, coincidentally the only portal that goes down 2 mana and offers nothing for a class already lacking sticky minions.

it's not bad. +2/+2 is worth roughly 2 mana and you get a 2 mana minion. It's powerlevel is fine. I think the only reason it's not being played is because paladin has only mediocre early game. Paladin just needs more overall if you accept that they're weak in the meta.

Dahbomb

The Silvermoon Portal is a solid card but it's just too redundant. You are happen when you you draft and use it in Arena, that's usually when you know that a card is balanced enough.

akinkcl

Neo Member
As long as bullshit like Tuskarr, execute, Doonhammer+rockbiter and call of the skill exist, I am perfectly fine with yogg... and once again fuck shaman...hate that shitty class so much

it's not bad. +2/+2 is worth roughly 2 mana and you get a 2 mana minion. It's powerlevel is fine. I think the only reason it's not being played is because paladin has only mediocre early game. Paladin just needs more overall if you accept that they're weak in the meta.
In a meta where you can't play Blessings of Kings its powerlevel is not fine. Compared to the other portals it's not fine, it's the only portal that requires a board to function. Getting equal value is not fine compared to the other portals.

• Shaman: 2 mana card + 1 mana minion
  • Warrior: worse Shieldmaiden for 5
  • Mage: 3.x mana damage + 6 drop
  • Druid: mana neutral through the minion alone

2 of these classes already had Yogg decks making them benefit doubly.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think I still lean towards Silvermoon Portal being better than Blessing of Kings for aggro decks. Just better to have two separate bodies than one big one as aggro, since you're less likely to overkill and can push more face damage, and it's harder to clear in general with exception of a few specific AoE cards.

Will probably get better after rotation when Lance Carrier, Museum Curator, Darnassus Aspirant, and Jeweled Scarab go away. A lot of the overall TGT 2 mana minion pool was made with nerfing Piloted Shredder in mind.

In a meta where you can't play Blessings of Kings its powerlevel is not fine. Compared to the other portals it's not fine, it's the only portal that requires a board to function. Getting equal value is not fine compared to the other portals.

• Shaman: 2 mana card + 1 mana minion
  • Warrior: worse Shieldmaiden for 5
  • Mage: 3.x mana damage + 6 drop
  • Druid: mana neutral through the minion alone

2 of these classes already had Yogg decks making them benefit doubly.

Comparing the portals is not the right way to evaluate cards. They only share the same theme, not the same balancing stick. And they aren't even in the same class.

Comparing it to blessing of kings is a better argument. And it's not strictly better or worse than BOK.

BTW, why do you think BOK is not playable in the meta? There is almost no silence being ran and paladin got that nightbane templar which is a high chance for BOK target turn 4.

edit:
I think reynad ran it in pants paladin. Manhack runs it in token paladin with sea giant.

Comparing the portals is not the right way to evaluate cards. They only share the same theme, not the same balancing stick. And they aren't even in the same class.

Comparing it to blessing of kings is a better argument. And it's not strictly better or worse than BOK.

BTW, why do you think BOK is not playable in the meta? There is almost no silence being ran and paladin got that nightbane templar which is a high chance for BOK target turn 4.

edit:
I think reynad ran it in pants paladin. Manhack runs it in token paladin with sea giant.

BOK does nothing on an empty board and Paladin has trouble curving into turn 4 with a board. Nightbane templar requires a dragon and I don't think dragon paladin is particularly good.

Made a new custom card, thoughts?

Seems like it's way too easy to play around and too situational. If they already have a board with a ton of minions, they can kill it without proccing it. If they don't have any minions on board, 1 damage isn't a big deal to play something to trade with it, or they could just kill it with a weapon or spell. Probably the only deck that would even consider it is Control Warrior, and they're already set on 1 damage effects.

Cool concept but this crushes Zoo super hard. They can't remove that without removing minions (except Soulfire).

Probably should be 2/2.

Not really. It only crushes Zoo if you're already ahead. Even then, they can play Imp Gang Boss into it to get a 2/3 and a 1/1 and it doesn't do anything to Forbidden Ritual.

BOK does nothing on an empty board and Paladin has trouble curving into turn 4 with a board. Nightbane templar requires a dragon and I don't think dragon paladin is particularly good.

So? It does nothing on an empty board. Neither does vellen's chosen and megnagerie warden also sucks when you're not copying a strong beast. That doesn't make these cards unplayable.

As for dragon paladin not being great, that's a meta thing. In the right meta, dragon paladin is really strong. I've had great runs with it so far. And I actually have been thinking about using BOK.

Kaban

For the Tavern Brawl, here's one I've playing recently: Faerie Dragon, Netherspite Historian, Innervate.

It works well against Mill Druids (and Soulfire Warlocks), as they can't naturalize Faeries, and then you can use innervate to play the bigger dragons. I'd recommend getting the Deathwing Dragonlord as early on as possible, and then build up a reservoir of dragons for when he's eventually killed on the board.

I'd say I have about a 60-70% win rate with that deck. It won't win against Mech hunters, but other than that, it can lead to some pretty fun matches.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
So? It does nothing on an empty board. Neither does vellen's chosen and megnagerie warden also sucks when you're not copying a strong beast. That doesn't make these cards unplayable.

As for dragon paladin not being great, that's a meta thing. In the right meta, dragon paladin is really strong. I've had great runs with it so far. And I actually have been thinking about using BOK.

King's is in a weird place right now. In some cases its amazingly strong (aggro/swarm style decks), and in others it's really weak. The card is not good in control style decks mostly because of how bad Paladin's early minions are at sticking on the board. So it's really hard to get value from the card. Yet it's very good at aggro/swarm decks because you just want to go face more and it is very good at that. The card is in a rough spot also because the 4 mana slot is so packed in Paladin. Kings, Truesilver, Uldaman all want to be and in a lot of cases NEED to be in your decks. Unlike in the past with Velen's Chosen where priest was nearly always using it to extract value Kings is being used so much more offensively.

jgminto

Blessing of Kings is a totally fine card, it just doesn't have a deck that supports it well enough right now. If Paladin still had their ridiculously sticky wild openings you would definitely see stuff like Kings played.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Blessing of Kings is a totally fine card, it just doesn't have a deck that supports it well enough right now. If Paladin still had their ridiculously sticky wild openings you would definitely see stuff like Kings played.

Hence why the card is istill seen all over in Wild =)

Bought the welcome bundle and had a pack I just got from "Watch and Learn" quest...

Got Onyxia, Nat Pagle, Al'Akir, and Golden King Krush. The only duplicate was Onyxia (already had a Golden Onyxia).

Ridiculous string of 11 packs even not including the Al'Akir I got from the welcome bundle.

Pooya

I'm playing this c'thun warlock. This mage is at 3, I'm at full like. Across the next 3 turns I lose because of random ass pulls, following the cabalist's tome and yogg. He even got lethal from babbling book in the end. yeah, well played. that was fun, those ass pull polymorphs and frost novas were so skillful /s

Levi

Banned
SuperJJ Post Game Interview:

"I'm not sure if I feel happy about this Yogg or not...I think we don't need this in competitive Hearthstone."

"It's a twisted feeling right? You're not really happy. You didn't win the game because you did something special for it...you win the game because you played a card and it did something special for you. So...what is my part in that?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom