• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

That was a pretty textbook example of Hunter annihilating Cthun Warrior.

Damn Kripp put out two videos today despite being in the hospital. What a true supporter of HS.

Dahbomb

It's like a train wreck about to happen.

You know it's going to be bad... but you just can't look away.

The tension is rising in this match as they both approach turn 10 with Yogg in hand.

Well Yogg saved him for a bit with that Vanish but he needs more.

Tacitus_

That finish
1x

Dahbomb

I'll tell everyone a secret. Getting rid of Yogg-Saron isn't going to magically make this game any less of an RNG fiesta.
It won't hurt though.

Step after that would be redesigning the Shaman class because man that class is such a pile of putrid design.

I'll tell everyone a secret. Getting rid of Yogg-Saron isn't going to magically make this game any less of an RNG fiesta.

I feel like yogg is what crosses the line. That and tuskar totemic. The moonglade portal was an extreme result and it's kind of one I am okay with anyway. It's like he played a cairne that healed him for 6. It's the above average result for moonglade portal but not really that crazy like yogg is.

And tuskar totemic is just... it high rolls way too often.

I think the majority of the RNG is okay. I don't think anyone is arguing RNG should just be removed. I think people just want the RNG cards that cross the line to be toned down or removed from ranked/tournaments/standard.

manhack

I agree that Yogg is too much, but we need to temper our expectations. Playing arena today has helped clarify that for me.

For example getting blown out of a game by MC tech into confessor paletress into Rag was quite the RNG fest and these are cards nobody is complaining about, but can swing a game solely on what they decide to steal/create.

Not advocating getting rid of these carde either. I feel like the "Skill Stone" meme is getting out of hand.

Dahbomb

I agree that Yogg is too much, but we need to temper our expectations. Playing arena today has helped clarify that for me.

For example getting blown out of a game by MC tech into confessor paletress into Rag was quite the RNG fest and these are cards nobody is complaining about, but can swing a game solely on what they decide to steal/create.

Not advocating getting rid of these carde either. I feel like the "Skill Stone" meme is getting out of hand.
A lot of the RNG cards in Arena aren't strong enough for competitive play.

Like for example Madder Bomber. Insane swing RNG card with a potential downside but doesn't see play because if it doesn't over perform it's mediocre. A lot of the issues stem from just there being RNG cards that are too good not to use in high level play. Not enough of a punishment when you low roll.

Well there is good rng and bad rng. I think MC tech is a great example of a good RNG card. MC tech isn't bad rng because both players have a certain degree of control over the outcome. And then the variance of the result is not nearly as huge as yogg saron. You always get 1 minion. You just don't know which.

On the other hand, yogg saron is very difficult to anticipate the outcome. The variance is just too huge. It's really the extremes that are a problem right? Cause if you play around an average yogg you know of, it's just a board clear and draw cards. But sometimes it's way way way way way way better than that and sometimes it's astral communion gg. The variance makes it difficult to play around AND neither player has control over the outcome.

Tuskar totemic is the same problem. He is either a average 4/3 or 3/4 worth of stats or he is a godlike 6/6 of stats or a 3/5 worth of stats + powerful text of mana tide totem or flame tongue totem. That's a lot of variance imo. You either get a 3 mana minion or you get a 6-7 mana minion. And what's worse is that neither player has any control over that outcome, just like yogg saron. The best the playing player has the hope for is to position well for flametongue. And the other player just hopes he is far ahead to win in case they get a 6-7 mana minion off of 3 mana on turn 2-3.

tl;dr
Yogg and tuskar are problems because you can't affect the outcome and there is too much variance in the different results.

There are other cards that fit these issues to some extent, but these are what I feel like are the prime examples in standard atm.

manhack

I guess I didn't really get my point across. I am not advocating for or against any particular style of RNG, just saying that RNG is baked into this game and if you don't like it then Hearthstone is not for you.

This is why the whole "Skill Stone" meme is kind of frustrating. It is never going to be a game of pure skill.

You guys know I play this game a lot, so you don't really need to sell me on anything.

_DrMario_

I guess I didn't really get my point across. I am not advocating for or against any particular style of RNG, just saying that RNG is baked into this game and if you don't like it then Hearthstone is not for you.

This is why the whole "Skill Stone" meme is kind of frustrating. It is never going to be a game of pure skill.

You guys know I play this game a lot, so you don't really need to sell me on anything.

Wanting less moronic cards like Yogg and Totemic doesn't mean people are asking for HS to become all about pure skill.

Levi

Banned
Wanting less moronic cards like Yogg and Totemic doesn't mean people are asking for HS to become all about pure skill.

Yeah, I've always been fine with RNG cards.

But Yogg crosses the line.

I lose to a 1 in 4 Rag hit? Frustrating, but if a Rag kills me I was pretty low health.

I lose from 60hp to an insane Yogg? That's bullshit. That's this game wasting my time and making it so my decisions don't matter.

Levi

Banned
Once kripp died last night the cool fun chat I was in turned into a shitshow of assholes spamming TriHard whenever Fierce or Golden Monkey was played.

Great community he's built up.

Farewell

Yeah, I've always been fine with RNG cards.

But Yogg crosses the line.

I lose to a 1 in 4 Rag hit? Frustrating, but if a Rag kills me I was pretty low health.

I lose from 60hp to an insane Yogg? That's bullshit. That's this game wasting my time and making it so my decisions don't matter.

Agree, it doesn't matter if you played good, one good yogg and game over.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ummm what the fuck. I was at the beginning of my turn, disconnected, immediately reconnected and it was his turn. Lost me the game.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Cool thanks. I run a cheap version of concede shaman. I found it hard to run more than one manipulator and not sure if far sight is more than a fun card. How's ur deck doing?

10-6 with it recently, rank 14 to 12. 34-33 overall, including the time spent learning it and trying out dumb stuff with it like moat lurker.

I don't know much about concede shaman, but Far Sight and Faceless Manipulator are pretty key to this deck. Their combo potential with Ancestral Spirit is the whole reason to run the deck at all.

Far Sight is actually a key anti aggro card, because it can allow you to do your big combo turn 2-3 turns earlier. At worst you get something like a Stormcrack, and paid 1 extra mana for a card cycle and making that Stormcrack way more versatile. Besides, if you just play minions on curve, you'll run out of stuff to combo with super fast, so it's pretty easy to find 3 mana to use on it.

I find it pretty easy to get use out of two Faceless Manipulators. Worst is if they group up in your hand at the same time, but even then it's better than increasing the chance to draw none of them when a lot of deck revolves around them. Against aggro I usually try to keep at least one taunt in hand until i can get a good combo off. It's just too hard to win otherwise. Against Control it's pretty easy to keep Cairne/Sylvanas around until you can combo them. Faceless Manipulator is also the one good way around things like Entomb.

I think it's a deck that requires you to be very greedy with your minions, even if it means hero power passing a lot. If the other side knew what you're playing, and just ignored your totems as they rush down your face you'd have a lot more problems, but there's no way they can risk you being a Totem Shaman until they've already spent way too much time attacking the useless totems and not face.

I tend to completely forget that Faceless Manipulator works on enemies too, and things like Faceless Manipulator + hex can be really good.

EDIT: LOL, case in point, completely bluffed a Dragon Warrior by Threatening him for war axing my turn two spell power totem. He says thanks, and aggressively targets my totems. Turn 5 I expose myself with Lava Shock/totem, and he rage quits.

Levi

Banned
The only way to watch hearthstone streams is to close chat, mute, and put on trump's greatest hits. Here, I'll get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1clAdj5cfg

Trump would put me to sleep.

I like small streams with good chats. I also prefer streamers who interact with chat when chat is on a higher level and has good questions to ask. I'm watching streams partly to get better at this game (well, not so much anymore, I don't really care about getting better at the moment but I'm hoping that'll change sooner or later).

Plus some of the smaller chats, you'll get pro players hanging out and chatting, and that's always fun.

Asbel

10-6 with it recently, rank 14 to 12. 34-33 overall, including the time spent learning it and trying out dumb stuff with it like moat lurker.

I don't know much about concede shaman, but Far Sight and Faceless Manipulator are pretty key to this deck. Their combo potential with Ancestral Spirit is the whole reason to run the deck at all.

Far Sight is actually a key anti aggro card, because it can allow you to do your big combo turn 2-3 turns earlier. At worst you get something like a Stormcrack, and paid 1 extra mana for a card cycle and making that Stormcrack way more versatile. Besides, if you just play minions on curve, you'll run out of stuff to combo with super fast, so it's pretty easy to find 3 mana to use on it.

I find it pretty easy to get use out of two Faceless Manipulators. Worst is if they group up in your hand at the same time, but even then it's better than increasing the chance to draw none of them when a lot of deck revolves around them. Against aggro I usually try to keep at least one taunt in hand until i can get a good combo off. It's just too hard to win otherwise. Against Control it's pretty easy to keep Cairne/Sylvanas around until you can combo them. Faceless Manipulator is also the one good way around things like Entomb.

I think it's a deck that requires you to be very greedy with your minions, even if it means hero power passing a lot. If the other side knew what you're playing, and just ignored your totems as they rush down your face you'd have a lot more problems, but there's no way they can risk you being a Totem Shaman until they've already spent way too much time attacking the useless totems and not face.

I tend to completely forget that Faceless Manipulator works on enemies too, and things like Faceless Manipulator + hex can be really good.

EDIT: LOL, case in point, completely bluffed a Dragon Warrior by Threatening him for war axing my turn two spell power totem. He says thanks, and aggressively targets my totems. Turn 5 I expose myself with Lava Shock/totem, and he rage quits.
Good thoughts. I did not consider the benefits of the greedy version. Would be interested in watching your matches or replays. I just didn't like having to play far sight on turn 3 vs aggro since it may do nothing to stop the bleeding.

vall03

Man, with the Welcome Bundle, I'm surprised people have been shitting on King Krush. He was my first Legendary so I kinda have a soft spot for him and I understand the problems with the card, but after mainly playing as a Hunter when I started out, He was my MVP most of the time. Sure there's Call of the Wild, but there are times wherein two CoW can be cleared easily and Hunters have nothing after that. Oh well, still running him on my Hunter decks since no one expects him.

Man, with the Welcome Bundle, I'm surprised people have been shitting on King Krush. He was my first Legendary so I kinda have a soft spot for him and I understand the problems with the card, but after mainly playing as a Hunter when I started out, He was my MVP most of the time. Sure there's Call of the Wild, but there are times wherein two CoW can be cleared easily and Hunters have nothing after that. Oh well, still running him on my Hunter decks since no one expects him.

I've always felt he was underrated tbh. I think the reason people don't use him often is because it's actually a card you want to trade with, to leverage his health instead of getting only 8 damage for 9 mana, which is actually really low damage per mana for a hunter card. And you can't even hero power. It's sorta like a gromm you don't need to activate, and gromm can be really great as a value card, taking out something with 4 health and then pushing 10 or trading with a high health minion.

So yeah, I don't think he is bad. He just isn't played because hunters don't need to trade that late in the game, their decks are designed to finish the opponent off rather than trade. We also still have rag in the game. Sometimes see that guy show up even in hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom