• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

KuroNeeko

Requirements

Legendary status in Hearthstone

Maybe i should stop playing Priest for a bit and just work on this. I think I have the other requirements taken care of.

Pooya

I've been legend like 5-6 times, is that enough? lol

They probably should look to hire someone from the scene. I'd say someone like Firebat, he's very smart and understands this game probably better than Blizzard. I hope someone community knows gets hired so that maybe it helps with the public vitriol and "lazy devs" syndrome in general too and open up some form of respectful constructive communication. Iksar was a player before getting hired for example but he was never famous.

Bento

They probably should look to hire someone from the scene. I'd say someone like Firebat, he's very smart and understands this game probably better than Blizzard. I hope someone community knows gets hired so that maybe it helps with the public vitriol and "lazy devs" syndrome in general too and open up some form of respectful constructive communication. Iksar was a player before getting hired for example but he was never famous.
Isn't that the guy that threw a fit over Menagerie Warden? Seems like just another whiney Reynad type to me so no thanks to including him on staff.

Xanathus

More likely they're just going to hire a designer/developer who has worked on other CCGs/TCGs, getting legendary on Hearthstone is a relatively trivial requirement. Would be hilarious if they even just made the guy they choose to hire hit legendary after the interviews if he/she hasn't already done it before.

manhack

Just played against the most insanely lucky Rogue in arena. I had him down to no cards and a weak board of 3 damaged minions. Easy win from here.

Swashburglar-> Babbling Book -> Cabalist Tome -> Echo of Medivh

And it was even more of a clown fiesta after that.

I'm not hating on the "add cards to your hand" mechanic, but holy shit does it create never before possible scenarios.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
You don't have to be a pro streamer to balance Hearthstone. Hell, most of them would probably be pretty bad at the job given how surface level most of them do card evaluations. A lot of gut check and intuition-based evaluations. Hearthstone is basically a math game but very few people really look at it that way.

Dahbomb

I don't think they will just hire a random reddit user who hit Legend a few times. They probably want someone with some experience with game design.

Just because someone can play a game well doesn't mean they know game balance.

Also if there is a problem with the game's balance, it won't be fixed by just hiring new personnel. It needs a paradigm shift at Blizzard especially when it comes to designing new cards and how fast they make balance changes to begin with.

Pooya

They're looking for someone that plays the game a lot for that feeling of game aspect too. They already have Realz and Iksar on balance team both of which were players/streamers early in Hearthstone life that hit high legend a lot. They obviously need more testers than designers. Mike Donais who pretty much handles the balance team is from Wizards, they have a experienced card designer already.

Levi

Banned
Brian Kibler would seem to be an ideal candidate, with lots of hours playing the game and CCG design experience, but he's turned them down before.

Luckily there's lots of players really good at this game who haven't gotten the recognition they deserve so I'm sure they'll find someone suitable. I hope it's someone with a competitive mindset to kind of temper their current direction of "LOL RNG".

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
They obviously need more testers than designers.

Agreed. They also need at least an internal rulebook if they aren't going to provide one for the rest of us. Way too many times we've seen them try to monkey around in the internals of the rules and they break something like Wild Pyromancer.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed. They also need at least an internal rulebook if they aren't going to provide one for the rest of us. Way too many times we've seen them try to monkey around in the internals of the rules and they break something like Wild Pyromancer.

A-fucking-men. This right here would help a lot with making the game more consistent.

wiibomb

Features Hearthstone needs: Auto-squelch Hunters

it is weird, because I feel like whenever I play, I can't put a single emote or it will feel like BMimg.

I don't know if people have become way too touchy or what, but sometimes I like to say "Well Played" because I legitimately believe it.

Ladekabel

it is weird, because I feel like whenever I play, I can't put a single emote or it will feel like BMimg.

I don't know if people have become way too touchy or what, but sometimes I like to say "Well Played" because I legitimately believe it.

I, too, like to emote Well Played sometimes. Hunter players spam Well Played everytime they're close to lethal and the way it is said doesn't really help.

On another note, I now don't care about rank rewards anymore. Bar a few legendaries I have most of the cards I want. Do my quests with decks I like and save my gold for the next expansion.

Miletius

Brian Kibler would seem to be an ideal candidate, with lots of hours playing the game and CCG design experience, but he's turned them down before.

Luckily there's lots of players really good at this game who haven't gotten the recognition they deserve so I'm sure they'll find someone suitable. I hope it's someone with a competitive mindset to kind of temper their current direction of "LOL RNG".

I'd imagine the ideal streamer would be a mid-tier guy who knows his shit, but isn't big enough that he can get paid better by not being a balance tester. Or somebody who is currently getting paid quite a bit, but knows they are on the high point of their popularity right now. Or somebody who is burning out, that might work too, since streaming really takes a lot of commitment to remain popular.

Kibler turned down Blizzard? Goddamn, why?

Dahbomb

Didn't Kibler work on the WoW TCG?

Also of they hire Kibler he would be on as a designer, not as a balancer. Though he could be both.

patchday

I've been legend like 5-6 times, is that enough? lol

I respectfully disagree with you to an extent- yes Firebat and other well known members may have a great handle on balance but I believe Blizzard understands their audience overall better then anyone for many obvious reasons (they have access to stats and metrics). The things devs does baffles most mortal men but their aims and goals widely differ from many of our own (maybe it's optimizing the experience for Casual/mainstream players rather than Legendary players)

Most things people complain about doesn't affect casuals like myself in the least. Yogg? who gives a shat I rarely see him (even I don't use him all that much).

What I call Casual- those of us that stop once we reach rank we can get to easily (for me that's rank 15 I can hit that in one sitting on a good run) and then instead go focus on card collection activites (Arena and so forth).

I know a crapton of casuals that play this game (at least 5 friends). Most of us rarely ladder much. Only my one friend goes for legendary and I think even he's slacked off. Granted all of us make a pretty good living so we can all easily input real monies if we wish

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't Kibler work on the WoW TCG?

Also of they hire Kibler he would be on as a designer, not as a balancer. Though he could be both.

I believe that he turned them down because he has more options avaiable as a "talent". Caster/Streamer/etc allows him to work freelance on other companies' games while also playing and advising Blizzard. Undoubtedly if he took a job with Blizzard they would want him to stop working for the competition.

Dahbomb

I respectfully disagree with you to an extent- yes Firebat and other well known members may have a great handle on balance but I believe Blizzard understands their audience overall better then anyone for many obvious reasons (they have access to stats and metrics). The things devs does baffles most mortal men but their aims and goals widely differ from many of our own (maybe it's optimizing the experience for Casual/mainstream players rather than Legendary players)

Most things people complain about doesn't affect casuals like myself in the least. Yogg? who gives a shat I rarely see him (even I don't use him all that much).

What I call Casual- those of us that stop once we reach rank we can get to easily (for me that's rank 15 I can hit that in one sitting on a good run) and then instead go focus on card collection activites (Arena and so forth).

I know a crapton of casuals that play this game (at least 5 friends). Most of us rarely ladder much. Only my one friend goes for legendary and I think even he's slacked off. Granted all of us make a pretty good living so we can all easily input real monies if we wish
If you don't care about balance then why does it matter to you if Yogg gets nerfed or not?

Also class variety impact casuals too. No one wants to be at rank 18 and get farmed by Legend Gold Shaman players.

If Blizzard wants HS to be a successful E sports then balance needs to a priority for them. That's the bottom line. Of course casuals may not care about E sports but enough people do for it to warrant action from Blizzard.

manhack

OK so i finally got some testing in on the Xixo Malygos Druid that was posted earlier and I'm really enjoying it.

It is very powerful and my favorite part is that there are very few mirror matches (i don't prefer mirrors).

My experience with Yogg has been outright disgusting. I think this may be the perfect Yogg deck, even more so than Tempo mage.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
IMO, the important lesson to learn from esports is not whether or not your game is being streamed a ton or people are going to tournaments or whatever. The usefulness of the sport part of esports is that sport is an inherently competitive atmosphere that will find any and all flaws in your game and exploit them mercilessly to gain advantages.

This is why when sports have complicated rules (American Football) there are rules being broken on every single play that don't get called because the referees don't have time/inclination to stop the game constantly and the players need every advantage. Similarly sports with more straightforward rules (football/soccer), have less referress but STILL see lots of fouls go uncalled. The players will always be ahead of the rules and the referee in their search for advantages. The nice thing about an esport is that the referee is unbiased and will always act the same every time. A digital sport has the oppotunity to deliver the most fair and equal terms to both teams. After all this in theory, the developer (the sport league for all intents and purposes) can tweak the rules and keep the field level for the players.

Sadly, Hearthstone is not a very good esport. Mostly because the balance and fairness are quite a bit out of whack at the moment. Not that it couldn't be, but at the moment it certainly isn't. Blizzard certainly isn't doing their part in keeping the field level, and their focus on cards always being "fun" doesn't help here. Losing is a part of sports and it is a motivator for people to play more and improve their play. Hearthstone, by taking away the losing, doesn't motivate you to play more or better and by not rewarding skilled play it actively pushes away players that are skilled. As a esport the game is abysmal.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to be a "pro" in this game. There is very little money for 99% of the people in the scene, and the game isn't really balanced in a sport-like way. Seems like a recipie for people to leave IMO.

sibarraz

Banned
I have some expectatives with the duelyst promotion in humble bundle, but the code only works with accounts created after September 15th, well guess that I will not bother with that game

Dahbomb

Main appeal for becoming a HS pro is that you feel like you have a similar chance as anyone else. Take the gamble, maybe you win big and then you can use the win to transition into profitable streaming.

That "anyone can win" appeal of HS is pretty powerful. Even if it may not be true, if enough people believe it then people will still try to play it competitively.

sibarraz

Banned
My main gripe with the competitive scene of Hearthstone is that imo no one is a big draw to make you watch a tournament, between the rng aspect and the fact that everyone is so equal I'm never interested in watching a tournament just because a favorite player of mine will play there. In this tournaments I feel like I'm watching the decks playing, not the players

And those personalities who have a big following never feel like legitimate/top players since they barely go to tournament after these started to have qualys instead of invitations, the only player that I watch on the week is Kibler since I really like him/respect him, and his cha has the right amount of memes to not feel stupid, also he doesn't pander to his audience like other guys do

patchday

this is a very cool deck, I just don't have some legendary from there, a shame since they are a little too many for me to make it, but that's an awesome deck.

Yeah I am missing Justicar & Bloodmage & Harrison Jones ;(

Would really like to try Justicar with Shaman

Learned a lot from this video!!!

I've already expended dust to craft the traditional Control shaman that runs Ragnaros. completed that deck last month

patchday

I have some expectatives with the duelyst promotion in humble bundle, but the code only works with accounts created after September 15th, well guess that I will not bother with that game

I've actually been playing SolForge a lot recently cause that works on my mobile devices and PC (like Hearthstone)

I injected $50 to support the devs of this one (although I've barely used a portion of the 'gold' I purchased)- cause you can craft Heroics and below fairly easily. There's all sorts of ways to build decks. Been winning a lot already (PTW for the win).

Plan to play this alongside HS.

Duelyst looks like a lot of fun but the pricing model is all RNG-based packs. I'm a bit more nervous about that one but I like some of the features it has (like streaming matches that were played, grid, etc)

I really just wanted to experience a different meta and see what card games are like when there is no mana involved so Solforge got my attention. It's so different from HS (but other concepts easily transfer over like Control, mid range, etc)

* Actually not sure what 'mid range' is in Solforge cause there's no mana. And legendaries are not limited to 1.

Ladekabel

Sometimes I think Barnes text should something be like "Summon a random minion from your deck. It stats become 1/1." If that nukes it from the game then it is fine by me. The amount of times I had to deal with 3 Highmanes is too damn high.

manhack

I've been having fun with Druid but here is a fun stat from the last 24 hours:

aCrTR8D.png

My meta:

26.4% Mage,
19% Shaman,
13% Druid,
11% Warrior,
8% Hunter.

The only class I have a positive winrate is against Warlock.

I still believe these malygos Yogg decks are powerful, but it's been very hard to get a good win-streak going against tempo mage and shamans. I guess this is why Druid isn't more popular.

sibarraz

Banned
I've actually been playing SolForge a lot recently cause that works on my mobile devices and PC (like Hearthstone)

I injected $50 to support the devs of this one (although I've barely used a portion of the 'gold' I purchased)- cause you can craft Heroics and below fairly easily. There's all sorts of ways to build decks. Been winning a lot already (PTW for the win).

Plan to play this alongside HS.

Duelyst looks like a lot of fun but the pricing model is all RNG-based packs. I'm a bit more nervous about that one but I like some of the features it has (like streaming matches that were played, grid, etc)

I really just wanted to experience a different meta and see what card games are like when there is no mana involved so Solforge got my attention. It's so different from HS (but other concepts easily transfer over like Control, mid range, etc)

* Actually not sure what 'mid range' is in Solforge cause there's no mana. And legendaries are not limited to 1.

Just for curiosity I was reading the faeria reddit and it seems that the game saw an increase in numbers thanks to kripp and trump playing it and some drop changes with duelyst (which dropped some players it seems)

Is still funny to see all the criticism to hearthstone in those boards

Sometimes I think Barnes text should something be like "Summon a random minion from your deck. It stats become 1/1." If that nukes it from the game then it is fine by me. The amount of times I had to deal with 3 Highmanes is too damn high.

At least the highmane from barnes is not really a highmane. It's more like a 4 drops worth of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom