• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

Just for curiosity I was reading the faeria reddit and it seems that the game saw an increase in numbers thanks to kripp and trump playing it and some drop changes with duelyst (which dropped some players it seems)

Is still funny to see all the criticism to hearthstone in those boards

Yeah I like Faeria as well. Looking forward to them completing their port to mobile devices too. Yeah Faeria has a real nice marketing campaign with streamers. Kripp has been pretty active

I've been having fun with Druid but here is a fun stat from the last 24 hours:

aCrTR8D.png

My meta:

26.4% Mage,
19% Shaman,
13% Druid,
11% Warrior,
8% Hunter.

The only class I have a positive winrate is against Warlock.

I still believe these malygos Yogg decks are powerful, but it's been very hard to get a good win-streak going against tempo mage and shamans. I guess this is why Druid isn't more popular.

Malygos Druid is Tier 1 I read. Might you be using a slightly different deck or missing some key component? Havent really run Druid yet myself. Been waiting to create Fandral

Well I finally got Yogg'ed.

Playing Druid, I have a full board after playing Call of the Wild (plus an extra Misha). He's at 2 HP.

Assassinate
Holy Fire
Lightning Storm
Unleash
etc.

He ends up at 7 HP, I have an empty board and less than 10 HP.

Just for curiosity I was reading the faeria reddit and it seems that the game saw an increase in numbers thanks to kripp and trump playing it and some drop changes with duelyst (which dropped some players it seems)

Is still funny to see all the criticism to hearthstone in those boards
Duelyst released on Steam less than a month ago, so it has seen a massive boost followed by some of those numbers dropping off like you would expect - people trying the game and some not liking it.

I've actually been playing SolForge a lot recently cause that works on my mobile devices and PC (like Hearthstone)

I injected $50 to support the devs of this one (although I've barely used a portion of the 'gold' I purchased)- cause you can craft Heroics and below fairly easily. There's all sorts of ways to build decks. Been winning a lot already (PTW for the win).

Plan to play this alongside HS.

Duelyst looks like a lot of fun but the pricing model is all RNG-based packs. I'm a bit more nervous about that one but I like some of the features it has (like streaming matches that were played, grid, etc)

I really just wanted to experience a different meta and see what card games are like when there is no mana involved so Solforge got my attention. It's so different from HS (but other concepts easily transfer over like Control, mid range, etc)

* Actually not sure what 'mid range' is in Solforge cause there's no mana. And legendaries are not limited to 1.
Hearthstone is actually the only card game out there that limits legendaries to one, and it's because they're ridiculously strong. Can you imagine 2x Yogg, 2x C'Thun, etc.? Or even 2x Grommash.

I played Solforge for a month and it felt extremely boring to me after a while. I liked the upgrade system and some of the unique cards at play, and I liked the mana-less progression, but it had two major flaws for me:
1) Legendaries > Heroics > Rares > Commons. Consistently. The best decks are mostly legendaries and heroics, and it's really obvious that they are trying to get people to pay for them.

2) The inability to keep cards in your hand for later turns. In most card games, keeping a board clear, disable, etc. for just the right moment is a game-deciding moment. In Solforge, you just play whatever is optimal at every moment because your hand is going to cycle anyway. Consequently, I felt like Solforge wasn't even as strategically deep as Hearthstone, which is not a very deep game.

I'm a major fan of Duelyst - I have hit S-Rank with it for the last 4 months straight, and I'm rank 2 right now just from doing my daily quest. Every month I have an >80% winrate all the way to S-Rank because it is an extremely skill-oriented game. The top players all have >90% winrates while climbing the ladder. Yes, Duelyst packs are random, but you get legendaries in 1/4 packs - it's extremely generous. You get 15g/2 wins, 50g worth of quests every day, a 5g puzzle you can figure out, and a 20g bonus for your first win every day. Also, the daily quests are "Play X games" instead of "Win X games", which makes it all a lot less stressful when you get a quest for a faction you aren't strong with.

The devs also add 4 cards to the pool every month and make balance changes every 1-2 months, so the meta stays very fresh. I've had to rework my deck every month to be successful, and while I find that very frustrating at times (SKORN), it's better than having a stale meta where you play the same deck for 6 months straight.

If you haven't tried it, I also recommend Infinity Wars. The devs have blundered the game's success away, but they're working on rebooting it, and it's the best pure card game I've ever experienced. I'll take it over MtG any day.

If you do like MtG, check out Eternia, which is a direct MtG clone. IMO, stay away from Hex, Spellweaver, MtG Online, Pox Nora (such a fantastic idea though), Shadowverse, and The Elder Scrolls. I haven't tried Gwent yet, but I've heard good things about it. I've never tried Faeria because it costs money just to try (lol), but I've watched Kripp play and I feel bored.

fertygo

I've been having fun with Druid but here is a fun stat from the last 24 hours:

aCrTR8D.png

My meta:

26.4% Mage,
19% Shaman,
13% Druid,
11% Warrior,
8% Hunter.

The only class I have a positive winrate is against Warlock.

I still believe these malygos Yogg decks are powerful, but it's been very hard to get a good win-streak going against tempo mage and shamans. I guess this is why Druid isn't more popular.
Out of all thing you shouldn't lose to maģe with that deck

Its have many heal to recòver the burn and they had tròuble killing giant and malýgos

Dahbomb

Shadowverse is the easiest to grind collection in right now because a bunch of scrubs play its Arena mode these days and you can pummel them with basic HS arena fundamentals. Probably get in on that action before that game gets its own Heartharena too.

sibarraz

Banned
Shadowverse is the easiest to grind collection in right now because a bunch of scrubs play its Arena mode these days and you can pummel them with basic HS arena fundamentals. Probably get in on that action before that game gets its own Heartharena too.

Shadowverse runs worse than hearthstone on my mobile, I'm still waiting for the steam version.

And I hope that Blizzard announces something soon

FYI, Duelyst is on the Humble Bundle today. There's a free code to start the game with 20x card packs, but it only works if you're on a new account. You just have to give your e-mail - no purchase necessary:
https://www.humblebundle.com/jumbo-bundle-7

If anyone gives it a shot, please list me as your referral. Apparently the account creation referral is inconsistent, so you need to go into the game settings and click the referral button from there to make it work, and it won't work if you've already played a match. My IGN is Karsticles if anyone wants to refer me. :-D

I just don't see the appeal of a direct Hearthstone clone. It doesn't fix a single design problem Hearthstone has.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
FYI, Duelyst is on the Humble Bundle today. There's a free code to start the game with 20x card packs, but it only works if you're on a new account. You just have to give your e-mail - no purchase necessary:
https://www.humblebundle.com/jumbo-bundle-7

If anyone gives it a shot, please list me as your referral. Apparently the account creation referral is inconsistent, so you need to go into the game settings and click the referral button from there to make it work, and it won't work if you've already played a match. My IGN is Karsticles if anyone wants to refer me. :-D

I just don't see the appeal of a direct Hearthstone clone. It doesn't fix a single design problem Hearthstone has.

What do you get from referrals?

What do you get from referrals?
Gold for more packs. :)

Edit:

If someone uses you as a referral, they get 100g.
If they make it to rank 10 at some point, you get a pack of cards.
If they hit rank 5 at some point, you get 200g (2 packs).

Edit2: Oh hey, thanks for using my name. :)

Even if folks aren't particularly interested in Duelyst, might as well snag 20 packs in case you change your mind. :)

Dahbomb

There isn't much fundamentally wrong with HS. The problems come with how they design hero powers and cards plus the disparity in 1st vs 2nd turns. The Evolve mechanic makes going first about equal to second. There are far less RNG cards and classes don't have a RNG mechanic hero ability they have to rely on like Shamans. Also 1 drops are a lot worse in Shadowverse and there are far less minions that are hard to kill and the game also has neutral spells so classes don't have to feel as limited.

Like yeah it's still a blatant HS clone but it does things a lot better all around.

Pooya

Since they didn't announce Tyrande today I guess she's for Brewfest. Brewfest started today in WoW. Tyrande has emotes for Brewfest among other things. Maybe she's the reward for tavern brawl this week like winterveil card back. She has emotes for many other Holidays too. I guess she could come back in future events too.

patchday

Duelyst released on Steam less than a month ago, so it has seen a massive boost followed by some of those numbers dropping off like you would expect - people trying the game and some not liking it.

Always strikes me odd people don't like Duelyst it seems very well put together and matchmaking is nice from the few times I played

Hearthstone is actually the only card game out there that limits legendaries to one, and it's because they're ridiculously strong. Can you imagine 2x Yogg, 2x C'Thun, etc.? Or even 2x Grommash.

I played Solforge for a month and it felt extremely boring to me after a while. I liked the upgrade system and some of the unique cards at play, and I liked the mana-less progression, but it had two major flaws for me:
1) Legendaries > Heroics > Rares > Commons. Consistently. The best decks are mostly legendaries and heroics, and it's really obvious that they are trying to get people to pay for them.

2) The inability to keep cards in your hand for later turns. In most card games, keeping a board clear, disable, etc. for just the right moment is a game-deciding moment. In Solforge, you just play whatever is optimal at every moment because your hand is going to cycle anyway. Consequently, I felt like Solforge wasn't even as strategically deep as Hearthstone, which is not a very deep game.

I'm a major fan of Duelyst - I have hit S-Rank with it for the last 4 months straight, and I'm rank 2 right now just from doing my daily quest. Every month I have an >80% winrate all the way to S-Rank because it is an extremely skill-oriented game. The top players all have >90% winrates while climbing the ladder. Yes, Duelyst packs are random, but you get legendaries in 1/4 packs - it's extremely generous. You get 15g/2 wins, 50g worth of quests every day, a 5g puzzle you can figure out, and a 20g bonus for your first win every day. Also, the daily quests are "Play X games" instead of "Win X games", which makes it all a lot less stressful when you get a quest for a faction you aren't strong with.

The devs also add 4 cards to the pool every month and make balance changes every 1-2 months, so the meta stays very fresh. I've had to rework my deck every month to be successful, and while I find that very frustrating at times (SKORN), it's better than having a stale meta where you play the same deck for 6 months straight.

If you haven't tried it, I also recommend Infinity Wars. The devs have blundered the game's success away, but they're working on rebooting it, and it's the best pure card game I've ever experienced. I'll take it over MtG any day.

If you do like MtG, check out Eternia, which is a direct MtG clone. IMO, stay away from Hex, Spellweaver, MtG Online, Pox Nora (such a fantastic idea though), Shadowverse, and The Elder Scrolls. I haven't tried Gwent yet, but I've heard good things about it. I've never tried Faeria because it costs money just to try (lol), but I've watched Kripp play and I feel bored.

Faeria is f2p now btw. You can optionally purchase the full card collection right now but its not required. Another nice plus- it can be played against AI to complete quests

All those negatives you say are very true bout Solforge. But that game drops heroics and legendaries like it ain't nothing so I already have a competitive deck. plus another huge point I can play it on the go which is nice (like HS).

Good post as usual man thanks

If you don't care about balance then why does it matter to you if Yogg gets nerfed or not?

Also class variety impact casuals too. No one wants to be at rank 18 and get farmed by Legend Gold Shaman players.

If Blizzard wants HS to be a successful E sports then balance needs to a priority for them. That's the bottom line. Of course casuals may not care about E sports but enough people do for it to warrant action from Blizzard.

I'm against nerfs/buffs of any sort because I come from the stressful MOBA genre like I mentioned before where the meta literally shifts bout every 2 weeks. It's just too much. One day your favorite hero is strong and you put in a lot of work to master and next day- he might get 'reworked'. Still play MOBA casually but I don't ladder them

I'm a huge fan of Blizzard's approach of rarely making balance passes. Karazhan alone really screwed me. I couldnt do nuthin' for like 2 weeks as I had to adjust to the changes. finally got back on my feet

* Example-
Control Shaman- I finally decided to add 'maelstorm'. Granted it was silly of me not to do that right out of the gate.
Mid range Shaman - I folly'ed and experimented with Witch doctor, etc. didnt quite work out and didnt really climb
+Spirit Claws Shaman - I really think this deck wants bloodmage. I dont have that card tho and I think it held me back
Tempo Mage- alright I admit this worked out fine. But this was really only deck I could pilot decently last season (karazhan launch)

Malygos Rogue is a dumb deck. Not because it's too good or bad just that it requires you to draw either the nuts or your whole deck
Just won against a priest because I drew Emperor Malygos Eviscerate Sinister Strike x2 before any auctioneers and killed him on turn 9 with 25 damage of burst.

They need to speed up the auctioneer animation.

patchday

malygos rogue is a fun deck to play and requires patience, skill, & wisdom. Plus its a bit wallet heavy.

just wish I had bloodmage. I want to craft him so bad., Been eyeballing my Paladin cards. If I were to dust my paladin I could craft bloodmage straight up.

Alas, I love my golden paladin portrait (I grinded that blood elf lady in WoW when legion released).

Since rogue's bloodflurry is so expensive-- I'm thinking bloodmage + Prep + fan knives can clear the board nicely on a turn if facing zoo or something

(I am literally only missing Bloodmage for this deck and at this point he is worth crafting for me)

KuroNeeko

C'mon, Tyrande! Your makeup and clothes look fine--let's go!

Malygos Rogue is a dumb deck. Not because it's too good or bad just that it requires you to draw either the nuts or your whole deck
Just won against a priest because I drew Emperor Malygos Eviscerate Sinister Strike x2 before any auctioneers and killed him on turn 9 with 25 damage of burst.

They need to speed up the auctioneer animation.

That and if you ever lose against Priest as a Rogue, then you have to turn in your blades.
Though it happens *sometimes*

just wish I had bloodmage. I want to craft him so bad., Been eyeballing my Paladin cards. If I were to dust my paladin I could craft bloodmage straight up.

Bloodmage is a Legendary that I resisted crafting for a looooooong time (1/1? Pleeeease!), but now he is one of the few legendaries I don't regret crafting (along with Justicar, Sylvanas, Rags, and Ysera).

Actually, he may even be top three with Justicar and Sylvanas... (I like Sylvanas so much, I may recraft her as a golden legendary--so gooood.)

If you're going to play Rogue (like I do on the side), then I'd even go so far as to say that BM is more important than Edwin even. That may not be the case now (with Owl, Keeper, and BGH gone), and you could argue that EdWin can win you the game, but mayne....BM is just so good.

Disclaimer: I've only just drawn Edwin recently (my first gold legendary) and I only have about 130 wins with Rogue, so I'm probably just not very good with him yet.

The most satisfying Legendary was probably Harrison Jones. I don't use him that often, but every Gorehowl or Doomhammer he breaks just...feels...so...good. Well worth the dust. lol

I would say, if you like Paladin at all, don't dust the cards unless they're ones you never use. You might regret it later on. Better just to wait and grind dust (personally).

patchday

I love Tyrande in HoTS she's still my highest level character. Still remember her from Warcraft 3 campaign

Would overcome my hate for priest and play that class for her

malygos rogue is a fun deck to play and requires patience, skill, & wisdom. Plus its a bit wallet heavy.

Alas, I love my golden paladin portrait (I grinded that blood elf lady in WoW when legion released).

Since rogue's bloodflurry is so expensive-- I'm thinking bloodmage + Prep + fan knives can clear the board nicely on a turn if facing zoo or something

(I am literally only missing Bloodmage for this deck and at this point he is worth crafting for me)
Thalnos will always be relevant, do it, but don't dust Paladin it's the GOAT
That and if you ever lose against Priest as a Rogue, then you have to turn in your blades.[SPOILERS]Though it happens *sometimes*[/SPOILER]
Dragon Priest is probably a bad matchup, considering you have to be so conservative with the removal that can also go face.

Levi

Banned
Remember when the best decks in the game were demon handlock, combo druid, control warrior and patron warrior?

Those were the fucking days. I'm gonna find some old VODs and relive 'em.

If dragon priest hits their curve too strong the rogue draws bad, then maybe. But for the most part, maly rogue will beat any priest form because they can't finish out the game while you safely collect the pieces necessary to burst them down.

Basically the same deal as warrior except they don't have gromm to pressure and they can't go above 30 hp.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Has anyone been watching Dog's stream tonight? Pretty sure yogg swings have been in the last 6 or 7 games in a row. God damn, lol.

patchday

see this is why I love this game. just took out a murloc paladin with this crazy pseudo-control shaman deck running Brann + Ancient mage + 2 lava burst. Did 25 dmg in one stroke with that. granted, match went a little long then it should've. need to tweak this deck somemore before going to ranked (testing in casual 1st)

KuroNeeko

Remember when the best decks in the game were demon handlock, combo druid, control warrior and patron warrior?

Those were the fucking days. I'm gonna find some old VODs and relive 'em.

Are you the "anti-me"?
I'm with you, mayne. I, for one, could do with some more Velen's Chosen, Deathlord, Sludge Belcher, and Lightbomb.
/kappa

running Brann + Ancient mage + 2 lava burst

lol. Good luck, mayne! ; )

wiibomb

after about 7 months of playing hearthstone almost daily, I come to realize today I can't play another shaman hero power when I have the other 4 totems on board

I... yeah...

after about 7 months of playing hearthstone almost daily, I come to realize today I can't play another shaman hero power when I have the other 4 totems on board

I... yeah...
Also learned this recently.
If dragon priest hits their curve too strong the rogue draws bad, then maybe. But for the most part, maly rogue will beat any priest form because they can't finish out the game while you safely collect the pieces necessary to burst them down.

Basically the same deal as warrior except they don't have gromm to pressure and they can't go above 30 hp.
Idk I don't have that much experience with Maly rogue yet but it doesn't seem like the best matchup. You gotta have your saps or otherwise have to burn some of the more important removal so as not to be tempo'd out. All the while you have to pressure their health so they don't stay out of range of your burst.

Dahbomb

Also learned this recently.

Idk I don't have that much experience with Maly rogue yet but it doesn't seem like the best matchup. You gotta have your saps or otherwise have to burn some of the more important removal so as not to be tempo'd out. All the while you have to pressure their health so they don't stay out of range of your burst.

I don't think I've lost to priest once as maly rogue tbh. I just checked every maly rogue list I have on HDT and they all say 100% vs priest.

You shouldn't have to pressure their health, not much anyway. If you're ahead on board sure but your deck is more than capable of 30-0 against a priest. It can OTK warriors from 35-40 hp if you are patient enough with emperor and hit enough cards.

patchday

wow finally beat my friend in a duel. he just got that 80g quest and challenged me to a duel. Was funny cause I think he only had 1 minion in the deck along with barnes. And Barnes still whiffed caused he already played that minion lol

need to tweak this control deck some more....

KuroNeeko

I would say that Priest is in a better position now to deal with Maly Rogue, but not by much.

I think Resurrect Priest has the best chance, but you'd need some high rolling. We're talking Injured BM into Resurrects or Barnes → bomb → Resurrect.

Dragon Priest has a chance, especially if they can get an aggressive start, but Rogue has too many tempo gaining tools.

I love Rogue. I main Priest. Rogue almost always has the advantage.

Pooya

if you thought HS community is whiny, Duelyst's is even worse. So many crybabies in there over FREE stuff they just gave away. sigh...

if you thought HS community is whiny, Duelyst's is even worse. So many crybabies in there over FREE stuff they just gave away. sigh...
Huh? I've been in the Discord all evening, and the only complaints I've seen are from folks who joined when it launched on Steam (less than a month ago) being irate that they're just past the cut-off, which I can understand.

I haven't seen someone complain in hours.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Huh? I've been in the Discord all evening, and the only complaints I've seen are from folks who joined when it launched on Steam (less than a month ago) being irate that they're just past the cut-off, which I can understand.

I haven't seen someone complain in hours.

Look at the recent steam reviews for example, tons of bitching.

Haha. I don't really check Steam reviews, but you're definitely right there. However, I'd hardly say that people who have been playing for a week or two are the "community". If I had just started playing and got edged out of a promotion like this, I would be really pissed too. CPG didn't organize this very well.

lol

"game has been out for 3 weeks and they're already giving out free stuff to people who didn't start yet screwing over us early adopters"

Paraphrased but yeah... I think there are actually some people who literally don't understand that games often release before hitting steam's store. Lots of people confusing paladins as a brand new game just cause it came out on steam even though it first hit the market in 2015.

And there are multiple posts saying the game is brand new and they are screwing over early adopters who spent money on the game.

I'll probably start a new account. I played some before. Probably not enough to open 20 packs though.

Dahbomb

I mean if you do a promotion and you don't deliver on the product due to some bugs or whatever... people are going to be pissed and rightfully so.

It's not like Blizzard wouldn't get flack for something like this.

sibarraz

Banned
The one thing that I like about HS in comparision to other games is that the bitching for being a game were you need to pay isn't as extreme as other games, I don't know if it's because they came first or that at this point people just accepted it.

I mean if you do a promotion and you don't deliver on the product due to some bugs or whatever... people are going to be pissed and rightfully so.

It's not like Blizzard wouldn't get flack for something like this.
Huh? There aren't any bugs involved. The promotion is pretty clear about the restrictions. People just want free stuff and are upset they don't get more.

I'm happy because even if you're an old player, you still get a free legendary, new card skin, and some cool new emotes. Sure, 20 free packs would be nice, but I don't think I'm owed any free stuff. o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom