• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeD.nL

Look at total hours vs Esports hours. There's a bigger disparity for HS compared to other games, it's the second lowest in fact.

Like everyone knows HS is a highly viewed game overall (when it comes to everyday streaming) but what was claimed was that viewership at tournaments has been down from last year. Not that the game is competitively dead or anything but a noticeable decline was observed.

Also this is just stats for a single month, let's get year to year stats going or something.

Made a quick graph.

jenTLcb.png

Total viewership for August year-on-year is down by -4.7m viewers.
Esport share is up +9% though for August year-on-year.

What's interesting is that a lot of the other top games have these big peaks in Esport share whenever a big tournament is going on, like 60% sometimes. It's going to be interesting how this develops for Hearthstone this year at Blizzcon.

edit: The right graph now. It should also be noted that both LoE and WOG made the viewer numbers go above >40m while Karazhan failed to do so.

Dahbomb

Thanks for the effort.

And yeah the main issue is that there aren't player storylines for fans to get invested in. That's not directly related to RNG... but it actually is. The lower the skill cap and the higher the variance... the less likely it is that a top player makes it through a bracket.

Firebat suggested that some portion of tournaments should be invite. Like 20% invite and 80% qualifier, something like that. I think even Kripp suggested that. If random dude beats Kolento in a tournament then people are more likely to give random dude respect... but if random dude 1 beats random dude 2 then no one really cares.

But in the end though you have to increase the game's skill ceiling. Show that good play and skill is rewarded consistently.

Man lost 7 games straight with Malygos Rogue today, thankfully I laddered on wild.

Make that 8 9 10, 1 spell of lethal this time while my opponent with zero draw drops turn 8 and turn 9 CotW

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Man Loatheb was such a good card. This game needs more interactivity with the other player's turns. Being able to stall another player's spells for a turn really adds a lot of strategic thinking to the game. Part of why I still like Wild so much I think. Attach that effect to something less powerful than a 5 mana 5/5, like a 3/3 for 5 or something and you have a really cool way to mess with people who play spell heavy yogg-style decks. You know, counter-play.

I wish they would've tried to create Arena tournaments. I could well be proven wrong, but I believe Arena is a much less RNG-affected mode than people think. It's so much less optimised than constructed that there's a lot of space for elite Arena players to demonstrate their mastery and sneak out advantages. Games tend to be slower too, so there's more times you need to choose whether to tempo out or slow play, whether to use a removal or trade, or whether to flood.

Imagine a tournament format where each player drafts 5 decks for 5 different classes then selects 3 to play with, all in client, and without Mage being as insane as it is. Best 3/5, once a deck wins you can't play it again. Would be pretty tough for a random to luck his way to multiple wins against top 0.1% Arena monsters in such a mode, I'd imagine. 5 decks to choose from limits the effect of one or two rotten drafts, and not being able to use a deck that already won limits the effect of one insane deck.

When the drafting portion of the game is super-optimised, like it is in constructed, there's just not enough meaningful decision making going on in most matchups for the very best players to show how good they are. The recent Batstone tournament with bans was more interesting because the players had to find replacements for the obviously OP cards that were taken out.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
First game was against druid who had astral communion right away.

I had a nexus saraad that stuck. He conceded turn 6. No more of that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Have they revealed what to do for Tyrande hero portrait yet?

Tyrande is one of the free heroes you get in Heroes of the Storm, and Samwise is the art director on that game, so I assume it will be tied to Heroes.

However, they're not likely to do that until the Tavern-Brawl-esque mode they're adding to Heroes is in the game, since it's presumably the one that's most appealing to Hearthstone players.

Just following up on this, I noticed this comment on Hearthpwn: http://www.hearthpwn.com/news/1726-hearthstone-patch-14406-welcome-bundle-arrives

Quote from zarmutek >>
I wouldn't worry about that. On stream I asked Trump about the hero promotion. He actually knows what it is (but won't say anything) and said he will be doing the promotion to get Tyrande. Trump is extremely cheap and would not buy a new phone just for a hero. I asked him if it was related to Heroes of the Storm, and after an awkward pause, he said, "no comment." Take that to mean what you will.

sibarraz

Banned
Well, I got 1000 dust on my packs, lots of golden cards (I kept stampeding kodo) no extra legendary

I was about to bitch but then I played the brawl, got a pack and there received illidan

Dahbomb

Man why is it always this Brawl?

There are so many decent Brawls they have done in the past that they can do instead of this all random Brawl that we have played like 5 times already.

Dre

There are so many decent Brawls they have done in the past that they can do instead of this all random Brawl that we have played like 5 times already.

Yeah bring back Spiders, Spiders, EVERYWHERE!

please don't Blizz

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Just another trashcan brawl that Blizzard keeps bringing back for no known reason.

There have been lots of interesting brawls that have never been redone, and yet we get this RNG-LUL-fest like 5 times. Just so lame.

Jadax

What's a good replacement for Quick Shot and Call of the Wild in hunter decks?

I replaced the Huge Toad with King's Elekk.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

A different deck.

If you want to play hunter you have to craft cotw.

Quick shot you can do arcane shot and be fine.

FeD.nL

From TES: Legends patch notes:

Beyond the creature type changes mentioned above, we don’t have any other card changes at this time. However, we are currently spending a bit of time evaluating the metagame and we’re preparing to make some changes, possibly even before the end of September. We carefully consider card changes but we’re not resistant to them, either. We want to take full advantage of the digital medium to bring you an exciting strategy game that doesn’t get stale. And if that means applying a little grease to a few cards from time to time for metagame tuning, we are more than willing to do so, if we feel like the game will overall be significantly healthier.

I wonder if they had a particular game in mind when they wrote that... hmm.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

There is no real replacement for Call of the Wild. You could maybe throw a Ragnaros in the deck if you just want something big on 8. Maybe throw in some Arcane Giants if you have a lot of traps in the deck. Neither of those options are as good as CotW.

lol this brawl. The guy played Alexstrasza on turn two. Luckily I had GOAT cotw to bail me out. One game, one win. I'll take it so I don't have to play it anymore.

gutshot

Yeah, I don't really get it at all. At least we just got another Top 2ish Brawl but c'mon Blizz, give us something else that hasn't been repeated multiple times already.

Was the Summoning Stone Brawl ever repeated? I remember that one being really fun.

Jadax

A different deck.

If you want to play hunter you have to craft cotw.

There is no real replacement for Call of the Wild. You could maybe throw a Ragnaros in the deck if you just want something big on 8. Maybe throw in some Arcane Giants if you have a lot of traps in the deck. Neither of those options are as good as CotW.

That sucks. I have 1xCotW, but not enough dust for another.

Dahbomb

They had a chart of the most popular Tavern Brawls at Blizzcon last year. Randomonium is the second to last one here.
This is why you don't go off stats purely.

Randomonium Brawl is one where one player wins by like turn 4-5 because they get some stupid stuff like Tirion on turn 3. That makes it an easy Brawl to farm, just concede when you don't have a good opener.

Same for stuff like Top 2/3 or the every minion costs 1 mana and is a 1/1. Short Brawls that end fast are just inherently more popular.

IMO the best Brawl they ever made was the Dire Fate one (where you choose your Fate at start then near the end you choose a Dire Fate). We have not gotten a single repeat of it yet or an add on to it. But I can see why they don't repeat it, it requires more complex deck making, matches take longer because of the inherent late game comeback factor and it's not new player friendly so stats wise its probably on the low end of their Brawls.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man I hate this brawl. Lost three in a row, then...

QXhQakb.png

Turn 1, 1 mana Beast. Turn 2, 1 mana Core Hound + 1 mana Kodo that killed his 2/3.

Turn 3 I topdeck a second Tirion that cost 1, coined the second which costed 2.

Gee, well played. Until next week.

Randomonium doesn't really bother me. I know it's just stupidly OP openers and such. It doesn't engage me long but it doesn't bother me either. Some people like this kinda stuff way more than I do.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is why you don't go off stats purely.

Randomonium Brawl is one where one player wins by like turn 4-5 because they get some stupid stuff like Tirion on turn 3. That makes it an easy Brawl to farm, just concede when you don't have a good opener.

Same for stuff like Top 2/3 or the every minion costs 1 mana and is a 1/1. Short Brawls that end fast are just inherently more popular.

IMO the best Brawl they ever made was the Dire Fate one (where you choose your Fate at start then near the end you choose a Dire Fate). We have not gotten a single repeat of it yet or an add on to it. But I can see why they don't repeat it, it requires more complex deck making, matches take longer because of the inherent late game comeback factor and it's not new player friendly so stats wise its probably on the low end of their Brawls.
In their commentary, they said the primary reason people seemed to like it was that it was quick to farm dailies with, so I suspect that's actually the intent of bringing it back repeatedly. Like they basically have it as "Free Dailies Week".

From TES: Legends patch notes:

I wonder if they had a particular game in mind when they wrote that... hmm.

Legends really shows the glaring weaknesses in Hearthstone honestly, and I was playing it f2p.

I hope they continue to make more cards and interesting changes to that game, cause I'll keep playing it if they do.

Levi

Banned
In their commentary, they said the primary reason people seemed to like it was that it was quick to farm dailies with, so I suspect that's actually the intent of bringing it back repeatedly. Like they basically have it as "Free Dailies Week".

Yeah, on my Asia account there are 3 classes I can easily do dailies with. The rest I have to wait for a good tavern brawl, such as this one. I can see how it's good for new players--no need to have either skill or a collection to get the dailies done, LUL.

Ladekabel

After the Brawl I said fuck it and went with Secret Paladin into Wild. Since I hardly ever play there, I'm destroying new players. I feel so bad.

manhack

For as much as people complain about the "stale" meta, the last few days of laddering have been the most diverse I've ever seen it. Obviously there are a lot of familiar decks, priest, rogue and paladin are under-represented, but there has been no consistent pattern; other than mage being my most faced opponent and shaman kicking my ass.

Even so called standard match-ups like Hunter, Mid-range Shaman, Freeze Mage and Druid are all running different cards in their decks.

Quite frankly I've never had such a hard time laddering with my typical "off-meta" decks. I'll probably settle into something more mainstream as the season ends, just so laddering isn't so much of a head banger.

For as much as people complain about the "stale" meta, the last few days of laddering have been the most diverse I've ever seen it. Obviously there are a lot of familiar decks, priest, rogue and paladin are under-represented, but there has been no consistent pattern; other than mage being my most faced opponent and shaman kicking my ass.

Even so called standard match-ups like Hunter, Mid-range Shaman, Freeze Mage and Druid are all running different cards in their decks.

Quite frankly I've never had such a hard time laddering with my typical "off-meta" decks. I'll probably settle into something more mainstream as the season ends, just so laddering isn't so much of a head banger.

I don't think the meta is so stale either. Last night it was fairly control heavy. Sure there were a couple shaman still, but not as aggressive as other nights.

wiibomb

Wow, got an Azure Drake in the brawl pack. I think that's one of the best ones just because it goes into so many decks.

in has been consistently used through all the metas since it is a very versatile card with good stats and incredible effects. Yes, I think it is the best rare you can ask for the classic packs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom