• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Do you think charge now sees play in some control warrior decks?

I wouldn't think so but it is sort of an additional form of removal now. And the sylvanas synergy isn't as costly as one of your shield slams.

I like the nerfs, yogg is probably the only one I really played as of late and the change is reasonable. Makes it more of a risk as it should be.

f0lken

I think the charge "nerf" will be benefical for warrior, it lets the card leave the OTK niche and can be incorporated into plenty of more decks now, you can combo it with Sylvannas as someone said, patrons, use it on another minion to clash it against a taunt and give your frothing berseker 2 attack, magnataur, etc. The 1-cost gives it grest flexibility

wiibomb

Guess I'll run King Krush now.

that.... could actually work with a CotW combo

Pooya

Do you think charge now sees play in some control warrior decks?

I wouldn't think so but it is sort of an additional form of removal now. And the sylvanas synergy isn't as costly as one of your shield slams.

I think it's more playable than before but still won't see much play. We need more beneficial combos for it to be a thing. It can be good with Sylvanas and Magnatuar Alpha but it's far from worth putting in your deck good.

If you could play Anomalus in warrior it could be pretty funny.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think it's more playable than before but still won't see much play. We need more beneficial combos for it to be a thing. It can be good with Sylvanas and Magnatuar Alpha but it's far from worth putting in your deck good.

If you could play Anomalus in warrior it could be pretty funny.

I think charge plus ravaging ghoul could be pretty damn strong against early game zoo and shaman.

Peléo

I think charge plus ravaging ghoul could be pretty damn strong against early game zoo and shaman.

It's basically a two-card Swipe.

I like the new Charge, it seems to me it will be close to Inner Fire: a niche card that can be really powerful in some situations.

It also can work in N'Zoth decks, since it combos with Sylvanas and Twilight Destroyers quite nicely.

Levi

Banned
My second favorite thing about this (after making Hearthstone playable again) is reading all the Yogg fans losing their shit cause their no-skill coin flip card got taken from them.

Drinking-Tears-GIF.gif

manhack

They finally nerfed the very aggressive cards. Every nerf is understandable and needed imo.

You could ask why it took so long and why 4/77 isn't nerfed.

I personally like Yogg as a fun card, but now it's 1600 dust, so it's fine.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Tuskarr might be a bigger nerf than it sounds. It is sooo much easier to survive when they don't win the 3 out of 7.

Shaman still might need to keep it for Thing From Below and Flametongue Totem, and have been getting more and more reliant on spell power totems.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if any deck would play a generic 3 mana 3/2 summon 0/2 with taunt, or 3/2 summon a 1/1. And I know no one would want a 3 mana 3/2 summon a 0/2 healing totem. Is the Thing From Below synergy really enough to make it worth it?

Razakin

My second favorite thing about this (after making Hearthstone playable again) is reading all the Yogg fans losing their shit cause their no-skill coin flip card got taken from them.

I'm a fan of Yogg, and I'm more than fine with the changes. Only thing I'm salty about the upcoming nerfs that I don't have single spare to get full dust value of any of those cards.

Of course, Yogg is now even more a final clutch card that can give you that perhaps little cheap victory, but with less chances of that happening.

Really happy with Tuskar and CotW changes, Tuskar probably might rotate out of Shaman's arsenal, but CotW will still be used, but don't have to fear that possible turn 7 coined CotW anymore.

Solid set of changes. It hit many of the majors. I would have liked to see thing from below touched up. I would have liked to see blade flurry revisited. I am even happy with the abusive sergeant change, if leper gnome is anything to go by the 1 stat change is a bigger deal than it looks. The charge buff/nerf is interesting and I am sure people will look for new strategies there. It could be a new way to use sylvanas orcards like magnataur alpha, things that really excell at minion based combat but are sometimes too slow.

I have a lot of thoughts on what'll happen once the changes go live. I think midrange hunter takes the biggest hit, aggro shaman takes medium sized hit, midrange shaman takes a big hit, dragon warrior takes a solid hit, control warrior takes very little hit, rogues didn't get nerfed but they still got hit (flow over from last balance patch), OTK worgen warrior is obviously done, and druids take a medium sized hit.

So order of damage:
OTK worgen (honorary since it's dead)
hunter
midrange shaman
aggro shaman
dragon warrior
rogues
druids
control warrior

Dahbomb

I see Freeze Mage being a bit more viable now along with Rogue.

Freeze Mage does well against Zoo and Midrange Shaman. You just ban Warriors. Less issues against Yogg decks too.

Rogue doesn't have to worry about more aggression from Shaman and Zoo I guess.

However, Control meta this is not going to make. Every single time we have these balance changes there's always the group that goes "control meta incoming!" and it never happens. The aggro/tempo decks will make adjustments and truck on.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
4 mana 7/7 doesn't have to be nerfed.

I understand it's bad that it's so punishing if not having an answer by turn 4. But if you do have an answer, you often want them to play it. Maybe if people didn't always discard their removal in the mulligan phase, you wouldn't see so many 7/7s with no answers.

The worst thing about it is there's not much you can do if there's a strong board around it by turn 4, but that's more the fault of Tunnel Trogg being so strong. I am a little annoyed Tunnel Trogg didn't get touched at all.

Dahbomb

A control meta would be bad anyway. Giving control more of a chance in a tempo meta is ideal.
That's like... your opinion man.

Some people like tempo meta, some people like aggro meta, some people like control meta. This is all a matter of opinion. Ideally there's no specific archetype meta and you can just use control to counter aggro, aggro to counter combo and combo to counter control like it is in most other card games.

It's a problem when one archetype is so strong that the archetype counter does not work. If control cannot counter aggro then there's something really problematic with the game because that basically shuts down whole archetypes.

It's funny how whenever anyone brings up control meta, the standard response is "you don't want a control meta". Well, how do you know?

A control meta means a lot of space for combo decks to flourish, which means tempo/aggro has a space as well. It's not like a control meta suddenly means tempo/aggro decks are invalid, just as much as a tempo meta doesn't mean control is invalid. But how would you know if a control meta is a bad thing if we've never really had a sustained control meta? That's just silly.

Dahbomb

It's funny how whenever anyone brings up control meta, the standard response is "you don't want a control meta". Well, how do you know?

A control meta means a lot of space for combo decks to flourish, which means tempo/aggro has a space as well. It's not like a control meta suddenly means tempo/aggro decks are invalid, just as much as a tempo meta doesn't mean control is invalid. But how would you know if a control meta is a bad thing if we've never really had a sustained control meta? That's just silly.
Not only that but Control meta means you can actually use fun decks and not get severely punished for it. Control meta means more time to assemble your combo pieces to do your fun stuff. You will still probably lose, but you will feel less bad about losing that way.

There will not be a control meta in this game at least until the next rotation. There are far too many direct control counters in the game built in. If someone has a really strong control deck... then another player will pick Renolock to counter. Then you will have the aggro/burn decks prop up to counter that. Or control decks get so greedy they start putting in Malchazaar in their decks and then get punished by faster decks anyway. Not to mention that it also opens up Mill/Fatigue strategies to counter control. Not to mention other direct counters like Divine Favor and of course combo decks.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah, the way on how laddering works a control heavy meta will totally kill the game for me, and I love those control mirror matches

Levi

Banned
Yogg should stop casting spells if it's killed, transformed or returned to hand. It's garbage that it just keeps going.

How does a dead Yogg keep casting spells from beyond the grave? I don't know Warcraft lore but I'd think a dead god would have its spell-casting ability crippled.

I also think it's dumb that the player who plays Yogg doesn't get the overload if an overload spell is cast.

WOW. I was going through my post history to figure out the day I stopped loving Hearthstone (it was 9/12, the day a Control Priest with no cards and no resources played Yogg and lethaled me from 60+HP in two turns) and I found this post from 9/5 where I asked for the exact nerf they ended up going with.

I actually think the current meta would be pretty great if it wasn't for Yogg, Call of the Wild or Doomhammer.

We've got multiple viable control decks, lots of midrange options, and only a couple pure face decks.

Most classes have decent variety in what you can do with them. There's a ton of experimentation going on.

It's just too bad a few OP cards are warping the meta.

Let's hope my prediction that the meta is good without OP card warping it also comes true!

IceMarker

Kudos to Blizzard for very elegant nerfs without straight out killing the card, even Yogg-Saron.

Now if they could start buffing cards...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
It's still possible Yogg was straight up killed.

I don't think so. You just might not want to risk it on an empty board anymore. It will still work 90 percent of the time to clear your opponent's board and give you some good card draw/secrets.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think so. You just might not want to risk it on an empty board anymore. It will still work 90 percent of the time to clear your opponent's board and give you some good card draw/secrets.

Since Druid has no board clears at all, they might still feel the need to occasionally risk it.

It's probably no longer worth risking for Mage though.

IceMarker

As far as Yogg Druid is concerned I think this will just mean that you might sub out a few weaker spells for minions to keep the spell count relatively modest.

This does absolutely kill Brann + Yogg shenanigans though, the likelyhood of Yogg even getting to the second battlecry seems nigh impossible now.

Plus, Yogg will still be awesome to get off of Golden Monkey/Malchezaar.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Brann Yogg shenanigans required brann to survive a turn late game or have two emperor ticks on two cards. It might as well not exist.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Reynad's take on the subject:

reynad ‏@TempoReynad 12m12 minutes ago Huntington Beach, CA
This balance patch literally makes Shaman stronger than before. Hurt nothing in the best build, while nerfing all 3 decks that could contend

reynad ‏@TempoReynad 8m8 minutes ago Huntington Beach, CA
Some necessary nerfs on execute and Yogg so it's good that the patch happened, but Shaman got a buff until rotation imo :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Losing Tuskar Totemic is still a big deal for Midrange Shaman though Shaman is still going to be the best class.

Agreed.
Shaman still the bawss.

Overall good nerfs, but the hit to Rockbiter is nowhere near enough for what was needed for the Doomhammer/Rockbiter combo
I dont think Blizz was just aiming at the Doomhammer/Rockbiter combo, the nerf affects early removal options too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom