• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
We gonna start with the "Innervate too OP" cries yet again? FFS, give it a rest. And no, Druid hasn't "always" been top tier. They've had more basic and classic cards in use throughout, and yes, there's a difference between both things.

If we are going to start saying Swipe and Wild Growth and Wrath are too good now, might as well nerf Fireball and Consecration and Eviscerate and Fiery War Axe and every card that does something good while we are at it.
Cheating mana costs is literally one of the strongest if not the strongest effects in T/CCGs there is. Innervate reigns supreme among those followed closely by prep. Prep could do a cost increase as well, I'd raise prep to 1 with no further changes and innervate to 2 adding 4 mana.

Don't like their secret pally list at all.

Dahbomb

I think Innervate should just apply to minions cost reduction (not on hero power and spells) and Prep down to 2 mana spell reduction. That way we have Innervate working for minions and Prep working for spells both at 2 mana.

This is an unpopular opinion though.

inky

Cheating mana costs is literally one of the strongest if not the strongest effects in T/CCGs there is. Innervate reigns supreme among those followed closely by prep. Prep could do a cost increase as well, I'd raise prep to 1 with no further changes and innervate to 2 adding 4 mana.

And yet it doesn't have the overwhelming effect some people claim it has in this game, and hasn't managed to push Druid or Rogue to the top by itself every year since the game existed.

It's almost like it's just a tool like many others classes have and depends much more in the companion cards printed.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Posting here to confim that this avatar is good. Hello Warrior my old friend.

EDIT: Also want to say that Tempostorm Wild Meta snapshot is complete trash.

The Secret Pally deck is horrible, they don't mention any paladin variants that exclude the secrets to force misplays, a lot of the other lists are questionable too. Usual stuff from them.

Levi

Banned
Wow, the Tempo Storm Wild N'zoth Warrior decklist is pretty fucking decent. I figured their list was gonna be full brokeback with Fuegan Stallag and all that crap.

Posting here to confim that this avatar is good. Hello Warrior my old friend.

EDIT: Also want to say that Tempostorm Wild Meta snapshot is complete trash.

The Secret Pally deck is horrible, they don't mention any paladin variants that exclude the secrets to force misplays, a lot of the other lists are questionable too. Usual stuff from them.

Sweet Avatar! Yeah, I went 5-1 with Midrange Paladin in Wild when I had a quest, and I could FEEL people hard mulliganing for cards like Eater of Secrets and Flare, lol. Dead cards in their hand in the early game vs my curve? Get rekt.

sibarraz

Banned

Don't like their secret pally list at all.

Whats the problem with it? the excess of 1 copies?

Levi

Banned
I got fucking Rekt. I got Van Cleef on my Asia account in the welcome pack, and today I opened two Preps!!! On my EU account, BibleThump.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I love how they have secret paladin on top of the meta but its matchup chart looks terrible for the deck.

It's a horrible list as well. I imagine if someone played it they would do about that good LOL.

Secret Pally is a deck that has 10000 variants and tons of tech cards. I personally think N'Zoth in the deck is not good, but pretty much everyone has their own vairants and its hard to say what is optimal. I don't think choosing to run a bunch of 1x cards in it is good, but you will want 1x of some things. I think running 2x Truesilver is way better than not. Also Coghammer is really useful in some cases, but there's lots of weapons now (including muster ones) so...

Anyhow, the deck is def number 1 there, but people are gonna have a rough time up about Rank 10->5 without knowing and teching more.

And yet it doesn't have the overwhelming effect some people claim it has in this game, and hasn't managed to push Druid or Rogue to the top by itself every year since the game existed.

It's almost like it's just a tool like many others classes have and depends much more in the companion cards printed.
not sure what others claim it's a pretty busted card.
Whats the problem with it? the excess of 1 copies?

there's no healing for one. I'm running Lightlord, 1 Ivory Knight and a Forbidden Healing. The freeze mage matchup is dreadful without any of those.

Not running Coghammer seems ludicrous to me.

Steward of Darkshire is a cute card you want to play it into muster but that either makes it a 6 mana combo or you're playing a 3/3 for 3 they are simply gonna kill. It can also fuck up your MC secret turn by protecting the noble sacrifice and not triggering Avenge.

I've slowly taken out the KJs as well for similar reasons as Steward. It's a combo card in a deck with little draw and the haunted creepers because of taking out the KJs.

KuroNeeko

I ran a N'Zoth Hunter list for a season, and N'Zoth almost never saw play or mattered. The big issue is the same as with all Hunter decks - there's no card draw. So you're literally waiting 20+ turns to draw him a lot of the time.

Curator / Hunter, mayne.

You could get beasts like...uh....Fire Bat or uh...Toad or that Wolf dood!

Then N'zoth them back!

Dragons are Azure Drakes or....hmm, I don't know...Chromaggus? lol

Curator / Hunter, mayne.

You could get beasts like...uh....Fire Bat or uh...Toad or that Wolf dood!

Then N'zoth them back!

Dragons are Azure Drakes or....hmm, I don't know...Chromaggus? lol
Azure Drake doesn't get a lot of use in Hunter decks - the only direct damage I use is Kill Command. Yeah, it's draw, but my decks are so tight that I like for every card to make sense.

When I was playing this game a lot, I actually ran 2x Cult Master for draw, and the deck also had 2x Snake Trap, 2x UTH, and various deathrattle minions that spawn other minions to ensure I could capitalize off of him. I really liked it, and it worked a lot, but the meta is so curve-heavy that you can't take a turn and just draw cards as a Hunter.

KuroNeeko

Azure Drake doesn't get a lot of use in Hunter decks - the only direct damage I use is Kill Command. Yeah, it's draw, but my decks are so tight that I like for every card to make sense.

When I was playing this game a lot, I actually ran 2x Cult Master for draw, and the deck also had 2x Snake Trap, 2x UTH, and various deathrattle minions that spawn other minions to ensure I could capitalize off of him. I really liked it, and it worked a lot, but the meta is so curve-heavy that you can't take a turn and just draw cards as a Hunter.

Yeah, this would be a new kind of Hunter, probably too slow to succeed.

N'zoth, Dragon Hunter?

Go with some Deathrattle beasts.

DR beasts on 2, 4, and 6 mana.
Dragons on 3, 5, and 8.

Curator on 7.

Call of Skill on 9.

Just thinking out loud.
Huh, maybe I'll try to make something, but it'd take away time from Purify Priest and Y'shaarj Warlock. : /

When the heck is Duelyst coming out on tablets?
At least Shadowverse gets their new expansion tomorrow.

I think Innervate should just apply to minions cost reduction (not on hero power and spells) and Prep down to 2 mana spell reduction. That way we have Innervate working for minions and Prep working for spells both at 2 mana.

This is an unpopular opinion though.

Why would you ever want to nerf rogue just for the sake for some weird cross class parity. Anyway, innervate's problem is skipping the curve too much. Not because it works with spells and minions. That aspect is fine.

But damn, nerf prep? Maybe erase rogue? It's already a tier 4 class.

Well, I'm glad Blizzard disagrees.
Sure. It'll end up nerfed eventually. At least to the point it costs 1 and adds 3. Minor nerf only becoming relevant when topdecking it off a draw.
Why would you ever want to nerf rogue just for the sake for some weird cross class parity. Anyway, innervate's problem is skipping the curve too much. Not because it works with spells and minions. That aspect is fine.

Malygos rogue is not tier 4 it shouldn't even be tier 3.

Dahbomb

A class that is tier 4 right now isn't necessarily tier 4 forever. Preparation makes it so that Blizzard has to think twice about making powerful high cost spells for Rogue. That's why you get stuff like Thistle Tea which really should've been a 5 mana spell.

If you are fine with Rogue's getting mediocre high cost spells in the future then sure, keep Preparation as is.

Innervate working with spells is actually a big deal and feeds into the insane versatility that Druid has. Stuff like Fandral and Violet Teacher wouldn't be nearly as good if you couldn't combine them with Innervate for big swing turns. There's just so much cheat potential in the Druid with Innervate.

But like I said this is an unpopular opinion of my own, I don't expect a lot of people to agree with it. Though I know I am not alone in this and I know that these cards have appeared on Blizzard's as well (especially Innervate). Honestly the only reason Innervate hasn't been nerfed right now is because it's one of those "class identity" cards that are immune to nerfs though I would argue that now that Execute is nerfed, there's no real sacred cow anymore.

jgminto

Preparation getting nerfed at this point would kill Rogue, unless Blizzard wants to rebalance Rogue's entire spell system there's no way they could successfully do it.

A class that is tier 4 right now isn't necessarily tier 4 forever. Preparation makes it so that Blizzard has to think twice about making powerful high cost spells for Rogue. That's why you get stuff like Thistle Tea which really should've been a 5 mana spell.

If you are fine with Rogue's getting mediocre high cost spells in the future then sure, keep Preparation as is.

Innervate working with spells is actually a big deal and feeds into the insane versatility that Druid has. Stuff like Fandral and Violet Teacher wouldn't be nearly as good if you couldn't combine them with Innervate for big swing turns. There's just so much cheat potential in the Druid with Innervate.

But like I said this is an unpopular opinion of my own, I don't expect a lot of people to agree with it. Though I know I am not alone in this and I know that these cards have appeared on Blizzard's as well (especially Innervate). Honestly the only reason Innervate hasn't been nerfed right now is because it's one of those "class identity" cards that are immune to nerfs though I would argue that now that Execute is nerfed, there's no real sacred cow anymore.

Rogue isn't even about high cost spells. It's about low cost spells. Thistle tea and sprint are the exception here cause they just draw cards. The only other spell in that range is vanish. I don't expect them to add really strong high cost spells. Sure thistle tea might be a little weak, but I doubt 1 mana makes it great.

I rly wish they would revisit cards like BGH,Molten Giant and Blade Flurry.

I think BGH would be more then okay as a 4mana card.
Molten Giant i have no clue how to make it fair i just miss the card and i miss handlock.
Blade Flurry should have only affected minions and maybe 3 mana instead of 4.

Dahbomb

Rogue also used to have Tinker's Sharp Oil which worked extremely well with Prep.

Imagine more spells that are like that where they are high cost AND require combo but the effect is absurd (almost game winning). That's where Prep becomes insane.

Notice how they didn't print a card like Tinker's Sharp Oil again? Yeah because they are still scared of Prep.

I mean it's cool if you are ok with getting meh high cost spells for Rogue in the future but don't complain about it in when it happens because we all know why it's happening.

I think BGH would be more then okay as a 4mana card.
Molten Giant i have no clue how to make it fair i just miss the card and i miss handlock.
Blade Flurry should have only affected minions and maybe 3 mana instead of 4.
BGH is fine at 5 mana, still sees play in Renolock deck.
Molten Giant can be 22 mana and will be playable.
Blade Flurry needs to be 2 mana with that effect to be honest. But Blizzard doesn't want Rogue to have good board clears so that's not happening.

Rogue also used to have Tinker's Sharp Oil which worked extremely well with Prep.

Imagine more spells that are like that where they are high cost AND require combo but the effect is absurd (almost game winning). That's where Prep becomes insane.

Notice how they didn't print a card like Tinker's Sharp Oil again? Yeah because they are still scared of Prep.

I mean it's cool if you are ok with getting meh high cost spells for Rogue in the future but don't complain about it in when it happens because we all know why it's happening.

You mean shadowstrike? That card is amazing for 3 mana. Pilager, prep, shadowstrike is incredibly good. How many shadowstrike level cards should rogue get per expansion?

edit:
Rogue's problem is blade flurry being deleted. The spell set that they have in standard is very good imo, evident by the fact that the class can be carried without any real AOE or weapon buffs. You say they don't add high cost spells, but rogue is not a high spell cost class. Look at druid, they have no problem adding strong cards that fit their identity. Rogue is missing a single thing, blade flurry. It's not really a class that should have a lot of high cost spells and no one is asking for that.

KuroNeeko

You mean shadowstrike? That card is amazing for 3 mana. Pilager, prep, shadowstrike is incredibly good. How many shadowstrike level cards should rogue get per expansion?

Yeah, don't nerf Prep, please.

How else am I supposed to cast Beneath the Grounds without losing the game?

Rogue's problem is blade flurry being deleted.

NEVER FORGET!

Dahbomb

That's only 3 mana and there's no combo attached to it. You don't build a deck around it. I am talking about stuff like Tinker's Sharp Oil that needed set up, costed 4 mana and required a combo that you built your deck around.

And Shadowstrike is just another tempo removal for Rogue, they already have enough of that. I guess if you want to be playing the same type of Rogue deck from now until eternity then sure, Blizzard can keep making cards like Shadowstrike that further funnel Rogue into the same style of deck.

But I want to see more cards like Tinker Sharp Oil that enable a new deck type. And that's probably not going to happen with Prep staying as is.

If you ask one of the longest and proliferate card designers in the business what one of his biggest mistakes was he'll answer you "free spells" and looking at the cards banned cheating mana isn't far behind.
Prep and Innervate are both of that combined.

Innervate puts you ahead of your opponent by multiple turns at the cost of a card but because of cards like arcane giant and Yogg pre nerf that cost was further offset. Adjusting that to 1 Mana Add 3 Mana is functionally identical but in specific situations just about worse enough to make a difference.

Rogue was completely untouched by these nerfs, they are not going to be tier 3 anymore.
I love going off with Rogue, you get to do the greatest thing in CCGs, drawing cards but prep needs to cost 1 imo. They'd require some better early AoE in exchange though.

Also Tirion should cost 9 or make a 5/2 Ashbringer.

Pooya

Flurry needed an activator to do anything really, I really doubt it would be OP if it stayed the same. I say the closest thing to it is Equality actually. If Equality was 4 mana, do you think it would see play? It would make Enter the Coliseum much more attractive. 2 card combo clears are just not that good, no warlock ever ran 2 shadowflames either, because they're slow and unreliable. Now equality itself does something very significant unlike flurry so it's worth running all the time, you could play flurry as an arcane explosion by itself, it's really not good. With no good way to buff the weapon, you were not going to do much with Flurry in standard. Only with Malygos it could do something absurd, removing face damage could fix that. Playing stuff like assassin's blade is just really really bad with no face damage too, it could address everything and make it a control card rather than a burst kill card. There is no question it was a mistake but they are never going to admit to it. I expect they will backtrack sometime in future by making another AoE spell.

That's only 3 mana and there's no combo attached to it. You don't build a deck around it. I am talking about stuff like Tinker's Sharp Oil that needed set up, costed 4 mana and required a combo that you built your deck around.

And Shadowstrike is just another tempo removal for Rogue, they already have enough of that. I guess if you want to be playing the same type of Rogue deck from now until eternity then sure, Blizzard can keep making cards like Shadowstrike that further funnel Rogue into the same style of deck.

But I want to see more cards like Tinker Sharp Oil that enable a new deck type. And that's probably not going to happen with Prep staying as is.

Sword oil isn't even good without blade flurry. The deck was really built around blade flurry. Oil was just another blade flurry enabler. Healbot let you play more greedy with blade flurry. The deck is just not oil rogue without blade flurry and now blade flurry is terrible.

Shadowstrike, yes it is a piece of removal, but it's an example of a strong spell card that fits the rogue identity of cheaper, powerful spells. That is what rogue should get.

But we also do get other strong cards that enable other deck types. It's weird reading you say that we'll be playing the same type of rogue deck forever, when we just got legit burgle lists from the last expansion.

Rogue can also still do a strong weapon rogue type deck, or a straight up tempo minion based plan, but the reason these decks simply aren't played is because they lost a key card. What exactly is the point of someone running strong weapons if it costs so much health to actually gain a board advantage off it? You can't really get ahead on board with weapons without taking too much health damage and you can't heal after getting ahead on board so you just die.

Because there is no more healbot and because blade flurry is bad, there are so many rogue variations that aren't being explored. It's really bad... I've explored so many rogue decks since blade flurry was nerfed... it's not that rogue lacks stuff to do differently, it just lacks the blade flurry that makes them do other stuff well enough.

KuroNeeko

Flurry needed an activator to do anything really

Like CoH in Priest.

I don't think Rogue is going anywhere in the tier list for the next three months.

I like the experimentation in Rogue right now. N'zoth (and the other Old Gods) is one of my favorite cards and N'zoth Rogue one of my favorite deck types.

Reynad is absolutely right when he says the proper response to people not liking to play against combo decks like OTK Warrior or Freeze Mage because they aren't interactive isn't to delete them from the game entirely but to, you know, actually make playing against these decks interactive by printing anti-combo tech cards like Loatheb.

Reynad is absolutely right when he says the proper response to people not liking to play against combo decks like OTK Warrior or Freeze Mage because they aren't interactive isn't to delete them from the game entirely but to, you know, actually make playing against these decks interactive by printing anti-combo tech cards like Loatheb.

But then loatheb is very difficult to interact with as well, since you stop all spells lol

Dahbomb

Burgle Rogue isn't that good man.

I mean if we are complaining about Malygos/Questing Adventure Rogues being tier 4 (which they actually aren't) then Burgle Rogue is an untiered deck.

Yeah, this would be a new kind of Hunter, probably too slow to succeed.

N'zoth, Dragon Hunter?

Go with some Deathrattle beasts.

DR beasts on 2, 4, and 6 mana.
Dragons on 3, 5, and 8.

Curator on 7.

Call of Skill on 9.

Just thinking out loud.
Huh, maybe I'll try to make something, but it'd take away time from Purify Priest and Y'shaarj Warlock. : /

When the heck is Duelyst coming out on tablets?
At least Shadowverse gets their new expansion tomorrow.
Wow, Shadowverse with the expansion already?

Duelyst is getting its mobile version in Q1 2017.

Also, check this out:
http://i.imgur.com/k3jbHNo.png

That's my win record tonight at S-Rank (legendary) using a deck that's so bad it isn't even ranked on the tier charts. Just smart play. :-D

Burgle Rogue isn't that good man.

I mean if we are complaining about Malygos/Questing Adventure Rogues being tier 4 (which they actually aren't) then Burgle Rogue is an untiered deck.

Rogue is a tier 4 class, not saying they only have tier 4 decks. I think if you divide the classes into tiers, rogue is bottom with priest as things are currently. Better than priest at least. The exact spot actually isn't that important, I think.

I think burgle rogue is easily a tier 3 deck. Maybe call it peddler rogue? Thief rogue? Not sure it matters. It's actually a good rogue deck. It's even featured on TS meta list as a tier 3 deck. I've seen a lot of success with the deck too, before lists started popping up. IIRC, my final list was based off savj's. I wasn't really sure about a few things but then I gave it more of a try and I found out they worked. It' maybe not god tier but it's very viable. I hit rank 5 with it within a few days of playing the list. I haven't played it much since then since I wanted a less random deck to play, like maly rogue or anyfin paladin.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
What I would like to see is prep attached to a minion. May be too strong, but blizzard does l like printing high mana spells for the class.

Dahbomb

Class tier is something like this:

Tier 1:

Shaman, Druid, Warrior

Tier 2:

Mage, Hunter, Warlock

Tier 3

Paladin, Rogue

Tier 4

Priest

Rogue is easily a tier above Priest overall. You can bring Rogues to tournament and do well. You can play on Ladder with Rogue and do fine. Priest is just garbage. There are like 2 decks that Priest does well against and gets dumped on by everything else. There isn't a single Priest deck that I would consider better than tier 4.

Post nerf though it might end up with Shaman as a lone S tier class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom