• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can bring the worst class to a tournament and have some success in the right meta.

Shaman
druid
warrior

hunter
mage

warlock
paladin

rogue
priest

This is what I would describe as the list based on a number of considerations. And I think whether rogue is tier 3 or tier 4, it's not a big difference anyway.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just pulled a Cairne Bloodhoof from my tavern brawl pack. One of the legendaries on my want but won't craft list. That's also three legendaries in my last four packs. Game is being so generous to me lately.

SteveWD40

Are people dropping Yogg now? I imagine at high level play yes, but those of us who liked our token Druid and were happy to get to rank 10 most seasons?

KuroNeeko

Are people dropping Yogg now? I imagine at high level play yes, but those of us who liked our token Druid and were happy to get to rank 10 most seasons?

No way, mayne!

It's a nerf, but not that big of a nerf. For decks that run lots of spells, I think he's still in it. Plus, you could get that insane Vanish / Shadowstep value.

rahji

I will use yogg regardless of the nerf. When you are about to lose a game, he can still save you. the odds are a bit more unlikely with the nerf but it is a better plan than just conceding.

fertygo

I dust my gold yogg after patch, 3200 dust is too gud

the question is the card good enough to re-craft the regular one or not, if not I'm not sure what other leg that better to craft than yogg anyway

ZeroX03

Banned
oh wtf just saw the balance changes

Rockbiter change is fine, I like that it can still combo it's just less likely to happen on a single turn.

Tuskarr Totemic nerf is lame. He's leaving soon anyway. Would've loved to have chosen a basic totem or increased his stats to go with it. I guess choose would've been too broken with spell damage being a deck now.

Call of the Wild going to 9 is expected. Any more of a nerf would've felt unfair.

Execute. Good.

Charge. Stupid. I like the combo decks it enabled. RIP the only Warrior deck I've ever liked.

Abusive Sergeant. I don't think he was overpowered, but with a lot less bulky 2-drops going around I guess having 2 attack was too much.

Yogg... has anyone run the numbers on the chances of Yogg interrupting himself? Seems like a fair change, I find he tends to die roughly 5 spells in.

Also won't be getting any significant dust unless Yogg significantly drops off.

RIP my lovely Aggro Shaman, it's Midrange all the way.
I'm regretting dusting Al Akir a lot now

SteveWD40

No way, mayne!

It's a nerf, but not that big of a nerf. For decks that run lots of spells, I think he's still in it. Plus, you could get that insane Vanish / Shadowstep value.

That was my feeling, that although it may save me less often, it's only usually used to save me when I am out of options anyway.

fertygo

oh wtf just saw the balance changes

Rockbiter change is fine, I like that it can still combo it's just less likely to happen on a single turn.

Tuskarr Totemic nerf is lame. He's leaving soon anyway. Would've loved to have chosen a basic totem or increased his stats to go with it. I guess choose would've been too broken with spell damage being a deck now.

Call of the Wild going to 9 is expected. Any more of a nerf would've felt unfair.

Execute. Good.

Charge. Stupid. I like the combo decks it enabled. RIP the only Warrior deck I've ever liked.

Abusive Sergeant. I don't think he was overpowered, but with a lot less bulky 2-drops going around I guess having 2 attack was too much.

Yogg... has anyone run the numbers on the chances of Yogg interrupting himself? Seems like a fair change, I find he tends to die roughly 5 spells in.

Also won't be getting any significant dust unless Yogg significantly drops off.

RIP my lovely Aggro Shaman, it's Midrange all the way.
I'm regretting dusting Al Akir a lot now

Al Akir is worse now with that rockbiter nerf anyway

Pooya

reading comments on the bnet blog post for nerfs. My brain, I feel so bad for Blizzard, a lot of shit heads play this game, you can understand why they don't like nerfing cards.

Blizzard you have ruined Yogg. He was my favorite card and the RNG was my reason for playing.

like what can you even do when that is your audience, man.

Jadax

I'm not surprised - Blizz has pretty much targeted hearthstone towards casual gamers - and casual gamers like these 'flashy' cards.

Otnopolit

I'm not surprised - Blizz has pretty much targeted hearthstone towards casual gamers - and casual gamers like these 'flashy' cards.

This sounds a tad condescending, especially considering how much competitive play Yogg saw. There are plenty of people who aren't casual who thought Yogg was pretty cool.

zoukka

This sounds a tad condescending, especially considering how much competitive play Yogg saw. There are plenty of people who aren't casual who thought Yogg was pretty cool.

But everyone with half a brain it was OP. A card can be both, cool and fun and still OP as fuck. That is Yogg.

Wow the nerfhammer really went wild this time. Rip Shaman (it's still good lul)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I think Reynad's right about Charge being a fun card. One of my favorite moments in hearthstone is countering worgen OTK combo by Hexing my on board charlson and then faceless manipulator copy the 0/1 taunt the turn he ran out of cards. I actually won that game.

Honestly my biggest problem with the OTK deck was the 1 mana execute. If he had a fiery war axe in hand, he could get rid of any taunt for just 1 mana which made countering it with taunts pretty difficult. Execute was the biggest reason Soggath started to become popular at the height of OTK popularity, because it's the only taunt that couldn't be removed for 1 mana. 2 mana execute would have made taunt counterplay stronger.

Better than N'Zoth style combos where the counterplay as control is hoping you're playing a class with a strong board clear, and simply saving that good board clear for when N'Zoth gets play.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I would say it needs experimentation. You probably only want to play it when you're hoping for something like a doom or twisting nether, on a board state where it's pretty likely yogg would only die to a board clear like that with so many other targetable minions.

I do think it's druid exclusive now at least, since mage have their own better board clears they can use instead.

I get come from behind cards are extremely valuable and rare in hearthstone, but at some point the x% of times you play it and win a losing game doesn't outweigh the y% of times you lose because you have a dead card in your hand that isn't useful until you're solidly behind.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
But everyone with half a brain it was OP. A card can be both, cool and fun and still OP as fuck. That is Yogg.

Yogg wasn't really OP. Blizzard's rationale for nerfing even basically said that Yogg was only just over the power curve in two decks. They have the stats for this kind of thing, so they knew how often it was winning games. The problem with Yogg was mostly about perception and whether or not a crazy card like Yogg should be deciding tournaments.

I know you're tempted as hell to reiterate "to everyone with half a brain", bruh.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The problem with Yogg is that it was the most random possible card. It could do nothing or it could make somebody impossibly far ahead lose. That's a dumb card.

Levi

Banned
Nerfs got me so happy I woke up early to play Hearthstone AND I didn't even BM my terrible opponents.

My NA quest queue was Total Dominance, win 5 with Shaman, win 2 with Shaman. That value! 5-1, ez games.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I think I'm going to craft two light bombs with my Yogg dust.

Wild is awesome and control/nzoth priest is a pretty good time. Lightbomb seems critical to the deck as well.

Levi

Banned
I think I'm going to craft two light bombs with my Yogg dust.

Wild is awesome and control/nzoth priest is a pretty good time. Lightbomb seems critical to the deck as well.

patchday

reading comments on the bnet blog post for nerfs. My brain, I feel so bad for Blizzard, a lot of shit heads play this game, you can understand why they don't like nerfing cards.

Agree. For high level play Yogg needed some kinda changes. But up to my elo/rank (15), he didnt need anything (Yogg was so rare). I think they made great changes. They cant make everyone happy. But the complaining got out of hand they had to do something

manhack

I fucking miss lightbomb.

Yeah a combination of Light Bomb, Justicar and Flash Heal actually made the Handlock match up favorable (IMO).

I was 45-10 with my Control Priest during the Secret Paladin/Grim Patron/Handlock days.

I think it was the fastest I ever made rank 5.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Flash heal is played more for the auchenai synergy than the healing itself right?

Would you ever run flash heal without auchenai?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Flash heal is played more for the auchenai synergy than the healing itself right?

I wouldn't, but I don't play a ton of priest in Wild. I do play against it quite a bit and the ones I see with Flash heal are using Auchenai for a big burst or removal turns.

In nearly all cases Auchenai/Embrace the Shadow are just worse removals than Lightbomb. Either you are running those for the AoE clear potential with CoH or you are running a combo deck designed to do a huge burst turn. Flash Heal just for healing isn't really a thing that I've seen.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I run a couple copies in my shadow priest deck without auchenai, but I think that deck is more fun than good. It's a cheap heal for when I'm in shadowform, and there's synergy with priest of the feast and wild pyro

bjaelke

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-20/

Shaman getting alarmingly close to peak Warrior. Priest getting close to extinction.

I think Mid-range Shaman has one of the highest ratings I've seen so far on their tier list (vs other meta decks). Good thing Blizzard are specifically targetting that deck with the nerfs next week.
Legend rank is the place where players are supposed to be most effective at countering a strategy, yet Mid-Range Shaman is inching closer to Undertaker Hunter levels of power there.

Dahbomb

30% Shamans at Legend rank.

No wonder Blizzard put out those nerfs with the swiftness.

Secret Hunter seems to be on the rise as well. Cloaked Huntress doing work.

Levi

Banned
Last time I ran Priest I was running Flash Heal as a Priest of the Feast trigger... but that was low rank wild and I was mostly seeing aggro. Helped me get a Freeze Mage to concede when they Alexed and threw all their burn at my face and over a few turns I was back up to 20 HP.

I've never piloted freeze mage but I don't think it's hard to "delay delay delay delay OTK". Maybe the mirrors are tough, I dunno.

Dahbomb

According to tides freeze mage is one of the easiest decks to play in the game and you're delusional if you think otherwise. He is confirming my bias lol.
It's both not that easy to play and not that difficult to play. Decisions and calculations have to be made but once you have played a few games of it or watched some games of it, you can generally create a road map on your own.

It's both not that easy to play and not that difficult to play. Decisions and calculations have to be made but once you have played a few games of it or watched some games of it, you can generally create a road map on your own.

It's very easy to play. It's been referred to as playing solitaire since the beginning of the game.

Dahbomb

It's very easy to play. It's been referred to as playing solitaire since the beginning of the game.
Some match ups/games are solitaire, others aren't. There are usually a lot of decisions to be made per game especially when you are being pressured (which is like 90% of the games). Like you may need to drop a naked Doomsayer vs saving it for Nova for a more optimum turn. You may need to use your Frostbolt early vs saving it for the Ice Lance combo. Balancing out using burn for damage and burn for removal is also important.

Calling the deck solitaire is over simplifying it. Every pro player has different opinions on it, some players think its one of the hardest decks to play optimally.

Some match ups/games are solitaire, others aren't. There are usually a lot of decisions to be made per game especially when you are being pressured (which is like 90% of the games). Like you may need to drop a naked Doomsayer vs saving it for Nova for a more optimum turn. You may need to use your Frostbolt early vs saving it for the Ice Lance combo. Balancing out using burn for damage and burn for removal is also important.

Calling the deck solitaire is over simplifying it. Every pro player has different opinions on it, some players think its one of the hardest decks to play optimally.

Freeze mage hard? LOL, I don't buy that argument for a second. Deciding whether to doomsayer "naked"... or using removal early? No, those aren't difficult decisions.

Freeze mage is even easier than face hunter.

manhack

There are high levels of play for any deck and good players are definitely better than others, but frankly the game isn't that hard.

Sheroking

As long as you draw somewhat decent cards freeze mage pretty much plays itself.

If you draw your relevant removal tools against a deck with no burst, Freeze Mage plays itself. Otherwise you have lots of little decision points that dictate whether or not you're going to have the burn to win the game. It's weakness is getting rushed down by aggro, which is a pretty massive hole in the current environment where even the so-called midrange decks are aggressive.

It will always be easier to play on curve and fight for the board than deciding whether or not to use a frostbolt on a minion to preserve your life, even though it may sacrifice upwards of 11 damage as part of your OTK.

Dahbomb

Freeze mage hard? LOL, I don't buy that argument for a second. Deciding whether to doomsayer "naked"... or using removal early? No, those aren't difficult decisions.

Laughing has played over ten thousand games of Freeze Mage and still analyzes his lost games and figures out where he could've made a better play to win the game. Even Kiblar who despises the deck respects the skill and decision making that goes into the deck after conversing with various top players.

Maybe you should talk with these guys and see what they have to say, it might be enlightening. The examples I gave were very mild, every day examples... things get more complicated in real matches.

patchday

100% disagree. Watch Trump play his Alexstrasza freeze mage and then tell me that takes no skill. One misstep and he loses the game straight up

Now, I wonder if we're thinking of different freeze mage decks. The super high skill cap one is Alexstraza-IceBlock strategy

edit: You can literally see Trump making calculations on a whiteboard to compute his chances to draw all the cards he needs to lethal lol

Laughing has played over ten thousand games of Freeze Mage and still analyzes his lost games and figures out where he could've made a better play to win the game. Even Kiblar who despises the deck respects the skill and decision making that goes into the deck after conversing with various top players.

Maybe you should talk with these guys and see what they have to say, it might be enlightening. The examples I gave were very mild, every day examples... things get more complicated in real matches.

Still among the easiest decks in the game. In a game with a lot of randomness, of course it's difficult to play perfectly. I can quote pros too. Tides stated he hit rank 1 legend playing the deck taking 5 seconds per turn.

And sorry but choosing to play a doomsayer without frost nova or with it, it's not a difficult decision. And of course people hate face decks, so when I say freeze mage is as hard as a face deck, it's gonna get extreme reactions.

100% disagree. Watch Trump play his Alexstrasza freeze mage and then tell me that takes no skill. One misstep and he loses the game straight up

Now, I wonder if we're thinking of different freeze mage decks. The super high skill cap one is Alexstraza-IceBlock strategy

edit: You can literally see Trump making calculations on a whiteboard to compute his chances to draw all the cards he needs to lethal lol

So? He doesn't need a whiteboard. You could do that with face hunter and it doesn't show it's any more difficult than it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom