• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
has it always been the case that conceding doesn't let you complete the friend quest?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So it's too overpowered for tournaments but you don't think it needed to be nerfed? I don't get that logic. Ladder is meant to be just as competitive as tournaments. It'd be dumb if Blizzard admitted that Yogg was an issue by banning it but letting it continue to ruin their ranked ladder system.

"I like Yogg because it does wild and crazy things, not because it's OP" has been the constant refrain of the Yogg lover for the past few months. Well, Yogg still does wild and crazy things, it's just less likely (not even impossible, just less likely) to steal wins, and all those same people are tossing their rattles out of their cribs, tantruming about how the game is ruined and they are gonna take their ball and go home. I always suspected their "Yogg is fun and crazy, don't change it" was just a cover for "Yogg wins me games I can't otherwise win, don't change it" and I feel vindicated now.

You shouldn't feel vindicated because Blizzard didn't believe the card was OP.

"We felt like seeing Yogg in tournaments was not where we originally hoped it would end up. Yogg should be for players who want to have a lot of fun, but maybe not the card you see frequently in high-level tournaments. Yogg is relatively weak in power level for nearly every class at every level, but is slightly above average in 2 decks – Tempo Mage and Token Druid."

Ripenen

I wonder how MTG would have evolved differently if Wizards had access to all the data Blizzard does about which cards are being used.

Levi

Banned
You shouldn't feel vindicated because Blizzard didn't believe the card was OP.

"We felt like seeing Yogg in tournaments was not where we originally hoped it would end up. Yogg should be for players who want to have a lot of fun, but maybe not the card you see frequently in high-level tournaments. Yogg is relatively weak in power level for nearly every class at every level, but is slightly above average in 2 decks – Tempo Mage and Token Druid."

Card is crazy, wins lots of games "LOL SO RANDOM I LOVE THE CARD BUT NOT BC IT WINS SO MUCH". Card is crazy, wins fewer games "WTF BLIZZARD U RUINED THE GAME I'M BOYCOTTING U".

So, in saying that Yogg fans cared more about its EFFECTIVENESS than its RANDOMNESS I'm correct, and that's where I feel vindicated.

Also, quoting Blizzard PR speak to me to try and prove Yogg wasn't OP is meaingless. Actions speak louder than words, and they took action against a problematic card.

Yogg wasn't OP, but stats don't matter to some people (I would say most, frankly). Basically that is what I was discussing with dahbomb a little before the nerfs were announced, about statistics not mattering to most people and perception being an important driving force. And I argued with levi that yogg was a problem not because of his statistics in terms of win rates or power level, but because of the RNG/perception issues, the "unfun" factor, or whatever you want to call it. Slightly above average stats is definitely not a reason to nerf a card, and it was only above average in 2 classes.

It's not just coincidence that Blizzard states they are nerfing yogg for reasons other than it's power level. And it's not PR spin that they're saying essentially the same thing I argued as to why yogg needed to be nerfed.

Edit:
I'll even empathize with people who didn't want yogg to be nerfed. Typically in gaming things are nerfed because they are OP. Yogg was not nerfed because he was OP. So if you were of the opinion that yogg was perfectly fine and he was nerfed, I understand if that person wants to complain about yogg being nerfed despite remaining the same random bomb. They're not suddenly saying it was the power level that was important to them all along, they're saying they nerfed a card's power level despite it not being OP. I disagree, certainly as to whether yogg needed to be nerfed. It definitely had to happen. But I'm not gonna call them hypocrites based on some superficial cursory glance at their reaction.

Mulgrok

went first in the brawl 7 games in a row until i got a win. That was when i learned whoever plays first card loses. Shitiest brawl ever.

patchday

Yogg wasn't OP, but stats don't matter to some people (I would say most, frankly). Basically that is what I was discussing with dahbomb a little before the nerfs were announced, about statistics not mattering to most people and perception being an important driving force. And I argued with levi that yogg was a problem not because of his statistics in terms of win rates or power level, but because of the RNG/perception issues, the "unfun" factor, or whatever you want to call it. Slightly above average stats is definitely not a reason to nerf a card, and it was only above average in 2 classes.

It's not just coincidence that Blizzard states they are nerfing yogg for reasons other than it's power level. And it's not PR spin that they're saying essentially the same thing I argued as to why yogg needed to be nerfed.

Edit:
I'll even empathize with people who didn't want yogg to be nerfed. Typically in gaming things are nerfed because they are OP. Yogg was not nerfed because he was OP. So if you were of the opinion that yogg was perfectly fine and he was nerfed, I understand if that person wants to complain about yogg being nerfed despite remaining the same random bomb. They're not suddenly saying it was the power level that was important to them all along, they're saying they nerfed a card's power level despite it not being OP. I disagree, certainly as to whether yogg needed to be nerfed. It definitely had to happen. But I'm not gonna call them hypocrites based on some superficial cursory glance at their reaction.

+1 I fully agree. Very well reasoned out

Pooya

1475706870-capture.png

I'm having a good time on ladder with this. ayy lmao. I haven't lost to a shaman or warrior yet. rogues though...

Abom is there for the memes and senjin is really whatever. you could turn it into a N'Zoth deck by changing those and Elise. I like this better, I drag mid shamans to fatigue, paladin hero power runs over shamans.

patchday

^ Nice deck I think. yeah looks close to nzoth pally deck. Still debating on crafting the legendaries for pally. It feels like Ragnaros Lightlord and Tirion go hand-in-hand so that's like 3200 dust in one go

(wait- there's some interesting diffs in your deck to avg NZoth paladin deck and there is a Baron Geddon there to make aggro decks cry)

edit2 - wow nice! You covered all the edge cases. You have 3 weapon removals here lol. There goes Fiery War Axe if you mulligan in the ooze. And harrison takes care of gorehowl.

I've been putting off crafting baron geddon for a long time, and I actually think geddon is potentially really good in control paladin which I play a lot of. I think I need to craft him tonight or tomorrow, with my yogg dust.

Mulgrok

priest daily so i tried a resurrect deck on ladder. Proceed to get the worst rng possible 5 games in a row. 1:5 chance of getting worst draw/res/rag hit and get the worst option 7 times in a row... yay.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
but I can't coin alex then

I can't imagine coining alex there was a good play either. Leaving up Fandral AND emp against a druid seems suicidal.

You would have been in a much better position to control the game had you taken advantage of the empty board and emped. The valet turn seemed a little wasteful. You didn't need a secret up yet.

As played, I think playing the emp into the other emp seems bad as well. Giving him too much with that play.

Levi

Banned
I've been putting off crafting baron geddon for a long time, and I actually think geddon is potentially really good in control paladin which I play a lot of. I think I need to craft him tonight or tomorrow, with my yogg dust.

I don't play Control Paladin, but wouldn't Geddon be negative synergy with your hero power?

fertygo

I can't imagine coining alex there was a good play either. Leaving up Fandral AND emp against a druid seems suicidal.

You would have been in a much better position to control the game had you taken advantage of the empty board and emped. The valet turn seemed a little wasteful. You didn't need a secret up yet.

As played, I think playing the emp into the other emp seems bad as well. Giving him too much with that play.

Well freeze mage certainly can't play long game against maly druid, Fandral value not really relevant that late on this matchup, and I notice he don't quickly cast feral rage after my emperor down, so I made a line where I gotta kill him fast, too bad I miss 1 damage

sibarraz

Banned
This is imo the worst brawl ever, even randomonium had more skill

he kharazan chess game was more fun, in this game the draws determine who wins

Levi

Banned
Speaking of New Card, this just got played against me. Never happened to me before:

f46dMoj.jpg

Had to ask:

Hiy2Tbjg.png

I stole his Tirion with Sylvanas/Shield Slam and I executed his Ragnaros Lightlord, so he does have GOOD cards to play.

(oh, and I used my filthy Yogg dust in honor of the true best Old God, N'zoth, and crafted him golden)

Dahbomb

I see those Ironforge Portals in there son. I told you that card is usable when there were claims being made that Warrior didn't get anything in Karazhan.

Well if your comparison point is Shaman then yeah sure... no one got anything in Karazhan except Shamans and maybe Hunters.

Levi

Banned
I see those Ironforge Portals in there son. I told you that card is usable when there were claims being made that Warrior didn't get anything in Karazhan.

Well if your comparison point is Shaman then yeah sure... no one got anything in Karazhan except Shamans and maybe Hunters.

Ironforge portal is way better than I gave it credit for, very happy to be wrong there. The minion is pretty crap on average but the armor gain makes it worth. Not an auto-include (unless you are running Yogg), but a good card.

Edit: best reason to run portals is how rad they look golden. :p

I don't play Control Paladin, but wouldn't Geddon be negative synergy with your hero power?

I think usually when you're going to play baron geddon, you're either going to trade those 1/1s or not care if they die. I've used the AOE murloc before and it was pretty good. For 1 mana more barron geddon is a much stronger choice imo.

Levi

Banned
I think usually when you're going to play baron geddon, you're either going to trade those 1/1s or not care if they die. I've used the AOE murloc before and it was pretty good. For 1 mana more barron geddon is a much stronger choice imo.

I'm a big fan of Geddon--it's extra good when zoo is in the meta, but should help vs Shaman for sure. Let us know how it performs.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wild is...actually pretty damn fun. You really do see a large assortment of random decks and class variety is really high. It probably says a lot that I have a 70% winrate with this so far.

bIeq0Y1.png

I went all in on the pirate gimmick and even threw in the weapon reduce 4 drop which rarely does a whole lot but I've been doing really well against the weird shit all over Wild.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/cdSdUJNFbQW39hdHu94jeH

Sometimes your upgrade effects just snowball like crazy. 20 damage with war axe alone here, lol.

patchday

wow just played this post nerfed yogg for first time and he kills himself on 2nd spell lol.

[edit] 2nd try yogg performed well. Then enemy plays his yogg which puts down a moonkin (+spell dmg for both players) enabling me to lethal. of course his yogg suicides as well

KuroNeeko

I still use Yogg in Druid and Control Shaman.

Sure, he dies before he can do anything sometimes, but other times he goes Yogg Wild and delivers.

PRAISE YOGG!

priest daily so i tried a resurrect deck on ladder. Proceed to get the worst rng possible 5 games in a row. 1:5 chance of getting worst draw/res/rag hit and get the worst option 7 times in a row... yay.

I find that the key is to gauge how greedy you can be.

If you have the coin, you want to look for something like Injured BM and an Onyx Bishop so you can turn three BM then OB on turn 4.

If you're playing against Control, especially Warrior, you can be suuuuuuuuuuuuper greedy and wait for like a Cairne, Shade, or Sylvanas before you start playing doods (just have to watch out for Shield Slam → Sylvanas).

If you're playing aggro, then don't be greedy--play the turn 3 BM, turn 4 Shade, and look for ways to exploit ASP / EE. I tend to hold PotF until I can get a least a spell off, but if you haven't played anything else, then turn 4 PotF → Resurrect is fine because 3/6 (with taunt lol) is harder to kill.

It's strong(ish), but you'll still lose to Tempo Mage, Midrange Shaman if you can't clear the board or kill their TBV, most Hunters, and Anyfin Paladin.

Well, Renolock made my Warlock Victory quest easy. Beat a face Warrior, control Warrior and secret Hunter, all of them pretty handedly. The deck might be ready to shine again.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit. Friend gave me the 80 gold quest which along with my other quest gave me enough to get 2 packs with it.

Ku0pPYA.png

9HPAU1o.png

KuroNeeko

I don't know how people can say Hearthstone doesn't take skill.

Kibler posts 63% WR with Control Priest over almost 100 games and I'm stuck in rank 18.

So frustrating.

I don't know how people can say Hearthstone doesn't take skill.

Kibler posts 63% WR with Control Priest over almost 100 games and I'm stuck in rank 18.

So frustrating.
I would say look at how small Kibler's winrate is. 63% winrate for one of the best players in the game against a bunch of ladder randoms? In comparison, top Duelyst players maintain >90% winrates, and Nowayitsj, a top Duelyst player, has won like 80% of the tournaments in the last few months. You won't find those parallels in Hearthstone. It's not that the game requires no skill at all - and I exaggerate on this sometimes - but it requires very little skill compared to some other card games. Infinity Wars is another card game that has a very high skill ceiling, which is why the best Infinity Wars player has >100 win streak in that game's Arena mode. Hearthstone players that focus on Arena still go 0-3 sometimes, lol.

Edit: On that note, I've been playing N'Zoth Priest in Wild recently, and while I'm doing very well, dear god these matches take a long time. I'm enjoying them, but not all matches are created equal. I wasn't a fan of Spellweaver, but one feature I REALLY liked was that your ladder rank gains were proportional to game length. So control decks were encouraged because you would gain as much in a control match as 4-5 aggro matches. That kind of incentive is something every card game could benefit from. If my game goes more than 15 cards in, give me 2 stars. 25 cards? 3 stars. It would help a lot.

Dahbomb

63% win rate is not that great to be honest (overall that is). Insane for a Priest player though.

Though Kibler isn't a top constructed player so those stats are fine for him.

ZeroX03

Banned
Man this patch killed my desire to play the game. Need a fun deck to play, of the stuff I like it's basically just Zoolock and MR Shaman?

Holy shit. Friend gave me the 80 gold quest which along with my other quest gave me enough to get 2 packs with it.

Ku0pPYA.png

9HPAU1o.png

It's raining dust!

Dahbomb

Man this patch killed my desire to play the game. Need a fun deck to play, of the stuff I like it's basically just Zoolock and MR Shaman?
You can still play Aggro Shaman, replace Tuskar Totemic with Unbound Elemental.

You can also play Tempo Mage. For a different flavor, try out Beast Druid too (the aggro variant).

There are still plenty of aggressive/tempo variants of decks available to play.

And there's always Secret Paladin the god in Wild.

Salex_

Over 60% of my last 30 games are against Midrange Shaman. Under rank 5 is far worse than the first 3 days of ladder. BY FAR.

Blizzard is doing such an amazing job balancing this game. Great job removing every single possible counter and turning them into positive match-ups for Shaman. When the worst match-up is almost a 50/50 match-up and the the play rate is this high, it should be an obvious red flag.

What the fuck were the game "designers" thinking when they decided to give the best class in the game Maelstrom Portal and Spirit Claws? Those were obvious "Let's hold these back until we rotate the old sets" cards.

Ladekabel

At first I was mad that I lost like 8 games in a row and ended up at Rank 20 again. But now I'm kinda glad I did because I have seen more experimental decks or own creations than I did before. I lost to a Shaman who was playing Grim Patron and I'm not even mad. More power to them even though the won because of lucky RNG on the totems. Or today I was up against a Bolster Warrior who got an insane turn with Protect the King and double Bolster. I won with Druid but it was great to see that. Of course I'm a dirty little netdecker.

I've been playing nothing but Dragon Priest since the patch. Started at 20, got to 16 then I quickly fell to 18. It's good deck. I had to make sure to craft double gold Netherspite Historians. Dem gold dragons!

Plot twist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom