• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

What are some good substitutions for Rockbiter, Tuskar and Al Akir in Midrange Shaman? I'm assuming Windlord is probably droppable without as much rockbiter synergy.

Pooya

What are some good substitutions for Rockbiter, Tuskar and Al Akir in Midrange Shaman? I'm assuming Windlord is probably droppable without as much rockbiter synergy.

play spirit claws and lightning bolt for removal. that's enough. Assuming you run spell power cards which you should. (Azure Drake 2x + Thalnos)

For tuskarr, sub it with manatide and feral spirits, whichever you're not playing right now. both work really in this meta.

Al'Akir? nothing really, just play double fire elemental if you're not. If you want some burst a single copy of bloodlust will take care of control decks. Some run Ragnaros, Rag is not good against other shamans though. No one plays both I believe, it's either one or the other.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Personally I'm throwing Fire Elementals back into the mix to help with the late game since the burst is gone. Then I'm just experimenting with Unbound Elemental.

CA53gAO.jpg

wiibomb

Personally I'm throwing Fire Elementals back into the mix to help with the late game since the burst is gone. Then I'm just experimenting with Unbound Elemental.

CA53gAO.jpg

isn't doomhammer still a good option? it could also work with some late options in combination of rockbitter

CA53gAO.jpg

My deck is different from yours in that:
I run 2x Thunder Bluff Valiants - it's a win condition on its own and provides incredible value.
2x Mana Tide Totem - I hate NOT drawing this card.
No Flamewreathed (people seem to mulligan for answers to it)
No Unbound Elemental (IMO you don't have THAT much synergy for it)

I find this list way more fun to play than other Shaman lists, too. I dig "Spell Damage Shaman" as a theme.

I don't think I've ever lost after coining out maelstrom portal against hunter's t1 fiery bat. It's such a tempo swing.
Can the Fiery Bat's deathrattle hit the minion that Maelstrom spawns?

I've been playing nothing but Dragon Priest since the patch. Started at 20, got to 16 then I quickly fell to 18. It's good deck. I had to make sure to craft double gold Netherspite Historians. Dem gold dragons!

Plot twist!
Dragon Priest is not good IMO. It's good in Wild, though - Velen's really pulled that deck together. In Standard, you just don't have enough "big" stuff that you can maintain with heals, which is why (again IMO) Dragon Warrior is the better dragon deck out there. Velen's is actually stronger than ever right now because no one is running silence outside of Renolock players, so your buff is guaranteed to make a big impact. I started playing N'Zoth Priest, and I remember waaay back when I first started playing Dahbomb told me Velen's on a Deathlord is a borderline win condition against an opposing Priest, and I have abused the heck out of it.

ZealousD

My deck is different from yours in that:
I run 2x Thunder Bluff Valiants - it's a win condition on its own and provides incredible value.

Admittedly this is probably a personal preference. I typically find the card clunkier than most people. And with Tuskarr gone it is even more clunky.

No Flamewreathed (people seem to mulligan for answers to it)
No Unbound Elemental (IMO you don't have THAT much synergy for it)

I'm not convinced about Unbound overall but it does give you a tempo play on Turn 3. I did manage to make one a 4/6 yesterday and I won a game because of it, though. 477 is there for the overload synergy.

Admittedly this is probably a personal preference. I typically find the card clunkier than most people. And with Tuskarr gone it is even more clunky.

I'm not convinced about Unbound overall but it does give you a tempo play on Turn 3. I did manage to make one a 4/6 yesterday and I won a game because of it, though. 477 is there for the overload synergy.
Someone should try an Overload deck.

Dahbomb

CA53gAO.jpg
That's almost identical to my Midrange Shaman. I have two Thunderbluff and one Feral Spirit though.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

*snip out deck since its quoted above*

I too have been subbing in Fire elementals in my Shaman. I really like that card. I remember how crushing it can be if you coin one out on T5. So many good targets for it too. Great card, sad that it was overshadowed by a 3/2 Fish selling totem guy.

You probably want a second Mana Tide over both to be honest.

There are enough overload cards in that deck for it to be worth it to run Unbound Elemental. People are scared of it and it ends up eating removal usually.

Really? I've struggled to have enough overload for tunnel trogg and took it out partly because of that. It's so much worse as 1/3 your opponent can answer over 3 turns.

I can't count the times people don't expect a bloodlust on all these "useless" totems and won
The great thing about Bloodlust is that people HAVE to take care of those useless totems, which makes your clears much stronger due to slowing the damage you take.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
People should have been running Bloodlust all along

It's too good

I mean it's shit as a comeback card but the potential to do like 26 damage on turn 7 is worth it

Dahbomb

Last vS Data Reaper report of the old meta:

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-21/

The next one is going to be pretty interesting.
This one is pre nerf so not really that relevant, next one should be more telling but it's not going to be anything revelatory.

The Priest spike was expected with the new hero portrait but the class is still dead last.

I think one thing I can agree with is that these new changes have slowed down the game by around a half a turn to a turn. This makes it more palatable to use something like a Rogue because you will not get burst down so quickly by Aggro Shamans.

wiibomb

The great thing about Bloodlust is that people HAVE to take care of those useless totems, which makes your clears much stronger due to slowing the damage you take.

that is assuming the opponent expects that card, because most of the time I stealth throw all these useless little things all over the place when my opponent is just disregarding them and hitting my face.

the comebacks are utterly glorious.

ExVicis

So I finally craft my first N'Zoth and holy fuck this is the most fun I've had with this game since I started. I made an N'Zoth Rogue deck and this shit is ridiculously fun. Got coins and cards flying all over the place. I'm sure I'm not playing it correctly too since I just made it but hell I'm still getting out wins and having a blast.

wiibomb

So I finally craft my first N'Zoth and holy fuck this is the most fun I've had with this game since I started. I made an N'Zoth Rogue deck and this shit is ridiculously fun. Got coins and cards flying all over the place. I'm sure I'm not playing it correctly too since I just made it but hell I'm still getting out wins and having a blast.

this is one of the cards I really want to have, it can make huge swings and although it is an slow card, it can make huge comebacks.

EDIT: and Sylvannas.... and Cairne.... and Grommash... Holy shit I still don't have so many good cards.

Levi

Banned

Yeah, N'zoth is the best Old God.

Praise N'zoth!

ExVicis

Yeah, N'zoth is the best Old God.

Praise N'zoth!

Praise N'Zoth!

Yogg- Who?

this is one of the cards I really want to have, it can make huge swings and although it is an slow card, it can make huge comebacks.

EDIT: and Sylvannas.... and Cairne.... and Grommash... Holy shit I still don't have so many good cards.
It was tough to figure out what I wanted to craft because I like Cairne, but goddamn it I wanted to play an N'Zoth deck and I already had Sylvannas. I crafted Sylvannas to make it work.

I can only imagine how crazy Wild is with N'Zoth and enough shredders

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Last vS Data Reaper report of the old meta:

http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-21/

The next one is going to be pretty interesting.

EDIT:

Reno Mage above Control Warrior?!? DansGame

Only in the all ranks chart.

Control Warrior gains 4 points in the Vs Rating in legend power levels, while almost everything but Shaman and the other control decks loses a point or two.

Control decks gaining power as the player base gets better is no surprise, but it's interesting that aggro/midrange Shaman do not see the drop the other aggro/midrange decks do.

Dahbomb

Of course it's good in Standard slow Nzoth decks. There aren't much better options for Deathrattles. If Hunter used a Nzoth deck then they wouldn't need Cairne because they got two Highmane but other classes are fine with using Cairne.

I personally like playing Chillmaw in slow Nzoth decks alongside Cairne for the greed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Cairne was also actually a good card back before Naxx and GvG ramped the power level up. Now that we've ramped back down, it fits in again.

ZealousD

Cairne would be solid if Control Warrior was more popular. But with Midrange Shaman on the upswing there's a lot more hexes around.

Levi

Banned
Last I saw Fibonacci and Zalae both cut Cairne from Nzoth warrior, and NaviOOT took it out but ended up putting it back in.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Cairne was also actually a good card back before Naxx and GvG ramped the power level up. Now that we've ramped back down, it fits in again.

He also got the benefit of the nerf on silences. And yet he still wouldn't see any play if not for the N'Zoth synergy.

Pooya

I'd say Cairne is bad now with all these shamans in the game, it's only really good against warrior. Hex on a big minion is usually how you lose to shaman with their snowball effects following, it matters so much. Ragnaros similarly is not good against shaman, it's likely to hit a totem and then hex'd. Same for Sylvanas, Yes there are two hexes only but even one swings the game so much to you playing from behind when you had the advantage a turn ago, to beat shaman reliably you must not be behind so that their hero power becomes worthless.

In my anti shaman deck, I chose the cards so that they do their job even with hex in consideration except Tirion which is too good not to play. Actually if I had Soggoth I'd strongly consider replacing Tirion with that. It's actually better against control decks too since they don't have much board to deal with it. Priest can't entomb this, that's how paladin usually loses to priest, your big threats are useless.

Ladekabel

I have yet to see the interactions with Tyrande. Whenever I play against Priest with Druid they're Anduinns. And whenever I play Priest there are no Druids.

rahji

I like that secret hunter deck a lot. stall the enemy with your secrets to crush him with savanna highmane, call of the wild or yogg.

wiibomb

I like that secret hunter deck a lot. stall the enemy with your secrets to crush him with savanna highmane, call of the wild or yogg.

I like it a lot. I think it needs a little more endgame damage, though, CotW doesn't cut it well.

and the Burglar Rogue, those decks are insanely fun to play.

I just played a mage I was 100% it was renomage, then I stole 2 card from it, one being Firelands Portal and the other Pyroblast. I could deal with it before activating the reno

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
In a world where Mage and Shaman were less popular (ie Hex and Polymorph saw less play), Cairne would be playable. We do not live in that world. Don't play Cairne, even with N'Zoth he's not good enough in Standard.

In Wild, of course, you were never considering that guy anyhow. Sylvannas makes the cut (dat OP Deathrattle), but a lot of other classic legendaries dont make the cut anymore (not Tirion though, he's juuuuuust fiiiiiine), . Its all about Belchers and whatever other power legendaries you can get. I know that sounds like a bad thing, but honestly it isn't so bad. You gotta earn that win. No free rides when your on curve minions can get stopped cold by a 5 drop (Taunt into guaranteed taunt stops a lot stuff preeeeeety good). It will at least give you a shot at having a turn around turn if you can draw a board clear.

Look at me waxing nostalgic over Sludge Belcher. Oh well, I've made my preference for Wild pretty well known on here before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom