• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

In the Priest mirror you generally want to steal the other guy's Deathlords with Cabal Shadow Priest. It's worth it to let their Deathlords hit face for 3 turns just to pull it off because it can be game winning.

In the Priest mirror you generally want to steal the other guy's Deathlords with Cabal Shadow Priest. It's worth it to let their Deathlords hit face for 3 turns just to pull it off because it can be game winning.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a Cabal Shadow Priest in Wild. I'm not even running one.

Dahbomb

Oddly enough, I haven't seen a Cabal Shadow Priest in Wild. I'm not even running one.
People still run unoptimized decks in Wild because there are hardly any good refined lists to copy or streamers playing it. Cabal is way too good not to run in a Deathrattle infested format. You can steal a lot of Zoo minions, some Hunter minions (Creeper and Grandmother), Deathlords in the Priest mirror, that 2/6 Warrior minion, Mad Scientists, Flamewakers, Minibot, Thalnos, Loot Hoarders, Acolytes etc.

It's understandable why people don't run Cabal in Standard a lot, minions have more up front stats and there are less Deathrattles you can take.

Though if you run two Cabals then you have to run a Shrinkmeister too.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
My deathlords are magical because they always pull belcher.

Was playing my nzoth warrior in standard (i hate infested taurens) against a mage. One of those super slow tempo builds.

It gets into fatigue, i have a ridiculously huge advantage, he is down to his last card and actually had 4 secrets up. He plays Yogg, it plays two secrets that he already had, call of the Wild (of course) elemental destruction, and gg.

The yogg nurf was good i think.

I'm playing a N'Zoth Priest mirror. He plays Deathlord, and I kill it. What does it pull? N'Zoth?

Goddamn this game.

I play it out because a 5/7 is still powerful board, and he didn't answer it right away.

8 cards left in my deck, and I play Thoughtsteal.

It puts his N'Zoth into my hand.

He blows Lightbomb because he thinks I have no N'Zoth. I win.

This game is so stupid.

Or he just fucked up badly by not holding onto lightbomb. I've played control mirrors against priest enough to know there is a high chance I have to play around my own strong cards, and I do that.

And you killed his deathlord knowing it could pull a powerful finishing tool like n'zoth. But it's the game that is stupid? okay.

Or he just fucked up badly by not holding onto lightbomb. I've played control mirrors against priest enough to know there is a high chance I have to play around my own strong cards, and I do that.

And you killed his deathlord knowing it could pull a powerful finishing tool like n'zoth. But it's the game that is stupid? okay.
Is the solution to just...never kill the Deathlord? lol Sometimes it just can't be helped, you know.

Part of playing an intelligent game is having some capacity to know what your opponent is working with. You can't make intelligent decisions if everything is unknown. It's why Cabalist's Tome and the Burgle-esque cards are stupid. You can't possibly play against them.

Who even doubts that Hearthstone is a stupid game at this point?

Dahbomb

Priest steal cards are less problematic than Burgle/Cabalist's Tome.

By the time they play a card like that you usually have like 20 cards in your deck. You can play around that a bit, it's not like they are going to pull a Velen from the ether if you don't have it in your own deck.

Deathlords are bad for Priests because some of their minions are Battlecry and some of their win conditions are Battlecries too (Elise, Nzoth, Justicar). Not only that but Deathlord pulls you one step close to Fatigue and if the use Nzoth on it then that's two additional turns you are going into fatigue. It is actually not a bad play at all to use Entomb on Deathlords. If you get 3-4 Deathlords resurrected against another Priest then you win the game because you would be too far ahead in the fatigue battle.

There have been times in the past where I actually healed my opponent's Deathlord because it was close to trading into one of my smaller minions and dying from it. I did this a few times with Farseer in my Handlock deck because I was scared of Jaraxxus being pulled out as that's a main win condition again Priest. I stalled long enough to draw Jaraxxus and that was the end of that then.

Priest steal cards are less problematic than Burgle/Cabalist's Tome.

By the time they play a card like that you usually have like 20 cards in your deck. You can play around that a bit, it's not like they are going to pull a Velen from the ether if you don't have it in your own deck.

Deathlords are bad for Priests because some of their minions are Battlecry and some of their win conditions are Battlecries too (Elise, Nzoth). Not only that but Deathlord pulls you one step close to Fatigue and if the use Nzoth on it then that's two additional turns you are going into fatigue. It is actually not a bad play at all to use Entomb on Deathlords. If you get 3-4 Deathlords resurrected against another Priest then you win the game because you would be too far ahead in the fatigue battle.

There have been times in the past where I actually healed my opponent's Deathlord because it was close to trading into one of my smaller minions and dying from it. I did this a few times with Farseer in my Handlock deck because I was scared of Jaraxxus being pulled out as that's a main win condition again Priest. I stalled long enough to draw Jaraxxus and that was the end of that then.
I ended up taking the game to fatigue. He played both Clerics at the same time so I kept milling him while dropping taunts. The game would have been close if I didn't get the N'Zoth.

Dahbomb

I ended up taking the game to fatigue. He played both Clerics at the same time so I kept milling him while dropping taunts. The game would have been close if I didn't get the N'Zoth.

At least bad player making bad play got punished.

Is the solution to just...never kill the Deathlord? lol Sometimes it just can't be helped, you know.

Part of playing an intelligent game is having some capacity to know what your opponent is working with. You can't make intelligent decisions if everything is unknown. It's why Cabalist's Tome and the Burgle-esque cards are stupid. You can't possibly play against them.

Who even doubts that Hearthstone is a stupid game at this point?

You very much have capacity to know what your opponent is working with. Their choice to use or not use, or when to use a resource tells a lot about it. There is strategy to dealing with randomness. The best players will handle that randomness far better than others, that is in part why they are the best.

And with thoughtsteal... the card has been in the game since the beginning. In control mirrors I've lost to it. It can be frustrating. But it's not a problem I have particular issue with existing.

You very much have capacity to know what your opponent is working with. Their choice to use or not use, or when to use a resource tells a lot about it. There is strategy to dealing with randomness. The best players will handle that randomness far better than others, that is in part why they are the best.

And with thoughtsteal... the card has been in the game since the beginning. In control mirrors I've lost to it. It can be frustrating. But it's not a problem I have particular issue with existing.
Look, when I lose N'Zoth to Deathlord, there's no way my opponent can know that I ended up stealing another one in the late game. That's just silly. It didn't change my play at all because for 2/3 of the game I was bumrushing his face because I knew that I couldn't win the late game since he had N'Zoth and I didn't.

There's also no real way to deal with Prince Malchezzar. He just puts random stuff in your opponent's deck. A good example: one of my opponents was playing a Tempo Mage deck. Unstable Portal gave him some deathrattles. I had no way to know that Prince Malchezzar would give him N'Zoth later, because HE didn't even know he had N'Zoth until he top decked it and played the card. He only resurrected 2 minions, but it was still a sizeable swing that I could not possibly prepare for ahead of time (nor could he!).

I don't think Thoughtsteal has always been inherently problematic, but I do think it is pretty huge when you can steal your opponent's shared win condition. Let's pretend I didn't lose N'Zoth to Deathlord. Then I would have had TWO N'Zoth drops to his one. Does my opponent even have a chance anymore? Likely not unless my N'Zoth resurrections are awful and his are amazing. There wasn't any skill involved in this - I just play N'Zoth twice and win. He can even Lightbomb and it doesn't really matter.

Look, when I lose N'Zoth to Deathlord, there's no way my opponent can know that I ended up stealing another one in the late game. That's just silly. It didn't change my play at all because for 2/3 of the game I was bumrushing his face because I knew that I couldn't win the late game since he had N'Zoth and I didn't.

There's also no real way to deal with Prince Malchezzar. He just puts random stuff in your opponent's deck. A good example: one of my opponents was playing a Tempo Mage deck. Unstable Portal gave him some deathrattles. I had no way to know that Prince Malchezzar would give him N'Zoth later, because HE didn't even know he had N'Zoth until he top decked it and played the card. He only resurrected 2 minions, but it was still a sizeable swing that I could not possibly prepare for ahead of time (nor could he!).

He knows what cards are in his deck. He knows what cards are left to be drawn. It's not exactly rocket science to gain some insight into what your opponent probably drew off thoughtsteal and what steps if any you can take to win against that.

Sounds like you put the right amount of pressure on your opponent to give you a chance to win. Their strategy, likewise, didn't turn out to favor them as greatly as they hoped.

Jadax

Anyone know where I can get some classic + adventure decks for questing? I've made some basic decks, but I feel like I could improve them with the cards I've gotten from the adventures. Doesn't need to be spectacular, just working enough to do the quests with.

Also, what can I replace ragnaros with in my hunter deck.

Dahbomb

Well you play around Prince Malchezaar by playing a faster game... which is nearly impossible to do for Priest so you just have to hold that L. It's like when one Control deck has Elise and the other doesn't. Man I wish Blizzard would print more auto win cards against tempo decks...

If you are up against a Priest and you are afraid of them stealing your win condition then you hard mulligan for your win condition. I always hard mulligan for Jaraxxus against Priest. I think in 2 years I have lost to two Control Priests playing a Jaraxxus Warlock deck. One bursted me down with double Flash Heal and Justicar back when TGT was out and that combo was really new so I wasn't playing around a bunch of burst damage from hand by a Priest. Another one I lost because Jaraxxus was pulled from Deathlord and that's when I was like "nah, I am keeping my Jaraxxus in hand from now on".

I think next evolution for Priest is for them to more efficiently steal cards from hand like Mind Vision. I am thinking they might print a 3 mana get 2 cards from your opponent's hand. That will be really annoying because now even your hand isn't that safe anymore though you can at least play around it much better.

Zoggy

Is hunter the most resilient class? The only time they weren't prolific on ladder was the post loe meta because of Reno.

But even then they were useful because face hunter was good against secret pally.

Then standard came and people thought rexxar was done. Nope they got call of the win and became midrange and wrecked warriors.

They can hold their own against shamans in a face race as well.

God bless smorc

Mulgrok

Stupid mage won because cabalist tome gave him 2 ice blocks. Ice Block will always be the card I hate the most.

EDIT: Not sure what it is about this Reno Paladin deck, but it has been working against everything so far. Around rank 12.
MBQnQu9.png
[/IMG]
88mFY67.png
[/IMG]

EDIT: The only card I am not sure about keeping is eater of secrets, but I put it in to counter mages and hunters.

I played and lost again that. It's Renounce Darkness plus Barnes + Yshaarj.

He got off the Barnes off of coin on turn 4. I actually managed to survive from there because Yshaarj didn't pull out anything else so once I removed the 10/10 I was fine.

Issue was that after I stabilized he got Mage and just burned me out. Mage seems to be one of the better ones to get off of Renounce Darkness because both the minions and spells are usually really good. He got Antonidas off.

It's a bad deck though. He got off like the perfect start plus perfect answers after that and then a perfect class with perfect cards to win that game.

I've seen warlock with nothing but yshaarj + barnes, and renounce.

Thanks he burned his Barnes with a soulfire

wiibomb

It really bothers me when people create this kind of false dichotomy, as if the game either has to be maximum random bullshit or 100% deterministic.

And since when this burgle rogue is "maxium random bullshit"? If this was the case, this would be as hated as shamans, and I don't see anything like that.

Btw... I'm pretty glad I can play these random things instead of playing a deck of the same things time and time again. It gets pretty boring.

Levi

Banned
mvPCQbq.png

My Wild Hunter build. (Dusted COTW). Was good enough to finish my THREE overlapping Hunter quests, so mission accomplished.

Not good enough to climb with, but maybe I can work on it some more.

Ay LMAO, this shaman had hex both for my pillager and my Van Cleef and I was already salty af then I coin out Malygos turn 8 prep a fan of knives knowing full well he has 0 answers left in the deck.

W/o t7 cotw Malygos rogue can tempo out hunter quite easily.

Now I got killed by a mage with 30 damage from hand, he started burning me down from turn 4

fertygo

I love Control Warrior mirror, this one very different build too N'zoth vs C'thun

C'thun control pretty much destroy other CW build right?

I have 1600 dust and don't know what to do with it. Thinking about crafting a legendary but nothing stands out... favouring a neutral one of a class one, due to more decks being able to use it, but still can't decide. I'm just bored of the "usual" decks and fancy something different.

Also has anyone noticed if the Shaman "nerfs" have reduced the amount of Aggro decks or not? Personally, I'm still around seeing the same number of Aggro Shaman's. Guess the talentless cunts loyal players didn't want to abandon their decks so quickly even though Rockbiter costs a whopping one mana more.

fertygo

I have 1600 dust and don't know what to do with it. Thinking about crafting a legendary but nothing stands out... favouring a neutral one of a class one, due to more decks being able to use it, but still can't decide. I'm just bored of the "usual" decks and fancy something different.

Also has anyone noticed if the Shaman "nerfs" have reduced the amount of Aggro decks or not? Personally, I'm still around seeing the same number of Aggro Shaman's. Guess the talentless cunts loyal players didn't want to abandon their decks so quickly even though Rockbiter costs a whopping one mana more.

Pretty much most migrating to mid-shaman of if they still want face deck, pirate warrior

I just watched a video of Day9 playing Starbound. Looks really interesting.

And since when this burgle rogue is "maxium random bullshit"? If this was the case, this would be as hated as shamans, and I don't see anything like that.

Btw... I'm pretty glad I can play these random things instead of playing a deck of the same things time and time again. It gets pretty boring.
Burgle Rogue is basically a deck of mini-Yogg effects. You can't play around anything because you don't know what your opponent has.

People hate Shaman because it's straightforward, easy, and incredibly strong right now. Hearthstone has also cultivated a playerbase that accepts random bullshit happening to them all the time, so most people don't mind Burgle Rogue. If the deck ever became top tier, though, you can bet people would complain a lot.

What would you rather play in discardlock? Crazed Alchemist or Ooze, also thought about putting in a Leroy for some more burst.

Won against a shaman with 2 lightning storms and a portal and got secret keeper off of Peddler against a hunter.

All this talk about Control Warrior made me give the deck a go. Don't have Justicar. Or a Brawl.

Still beat a Priest, though.

Pretty much most migrating to mid-shaman of if they still want face deck, pirate warrior

Damn, haven't seen a Pirate deck in ages... wouldn't mind seeing one do well for a while, get it's time in the sun.

Mirimar

Really digging Anyfin Pally these days to do Priest/Paladin 60 daily. Easy to make mistakes and it's satisfying to win with it. Had a really close game just now against a Maly Rogue. Got me to 1 hp, haha. It really does matter a lot how you manage your life. Realize that a lot playing this deck. Mulligan is pretty tough.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/SMzw66wihnzzo4cH85FpnF

Think he made a really big misplay not sapping my Lightlord. He would have out tempo'd me and forced me to use clears earlier.

Finalow

Yeah, that was sooooo boring, right? Much more exciting to jerk off over Yogg.

Christ.
^seriously. few things are more exciting than watching a 30 minutes long mirror match where both players rope and hero power pass half of the time.
I really cannot fathom how some people find that boring.

opponent shaman rolled spell damage 3 turns in a row at no board after having turn 1 claws. Come on that's a 1/64 chance, even if individually they were 1 in 4 chances. The next shaman gets thalnos off barnes after turn 1 claws...
Shaman is disgusting enough without high rolling after the best turn 1 draw.

Nice got a Xaril after finishing my Warlock Quest, went 5-2 only losing to Shaman with stupid high rolls. Would still like to fit in leroy.

patchday

I don't know what cards you have friend. But I'd suggest the no-brainers like Sylvannas, Ragnaros, or Bloodmage Thalnos (especially that card) for starters.

Class cards- Archmage for sure for Mage. This card has by far won me more games then any other in late game with my mage.

I am thinking to craft Tirion next to see if it'll make Paladin more enjoyable.

For sure Bloodmage Thalnos. He won't 'win' you the game but he for sure increases the win rates for all decks where he's applicable (Mage, rogue, Shaman)

* Also search for Kripp's video where he recommends legendaries worth crafting

All this talk about Control Warrior made me give the deck a go. Don't have Justicar. Or a Brawl.

Still beat a Priest, though.

All I gotta say is Justicar card is a true terror in CW decks. I get so tilted when I see a CW play that card. It must increase that deck's win rate by like 30% cause I find warriors lacking that card so squishy (I'm a Mage primary on ladder)

Ladekabel

Turns out nerfing Yogg didn't kill Druid.

Huh.

I've been playing Token Druid in the dumpster ranks and was pretty succesful with it. Disenchanted my Yogg and replaced it with Rag but I never had a game where neither would have helped me. Only thing I miss is Yogg Warrior.

patchday

Funny thing bout the Yogg nerf- I was always baffled why he continued casting after he hex'ed himself or suicided. Just seems like it makes much more sense now.

I've been thinking about Cabal Shadow Priest a lot, and while I absolutely would love to include that card, I'm not sure what to include it in lieu of. On one hand, Deathlord is a great card, but on the other hand, it has lost me a lot of games from bad pulls.

tccWAFK.png

Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom