• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

I've never enjoyed Rogue before. I tried to get into Oil and after a few games I hung it up forever (RIP the 1600 dust I used on Edwin), and I've been rerolling or using Tavern Brawl for my Rogue quests forever. I don't know why it's clicking now, but I'm glad it is because I had lost all motivation to play and nothing else feels as fun. I'm not even getting upset when I lose.

Rogue gave me a bad impression when I first started. I couldnt understand the point of the hero power and many of the basic cards seemed to suck (Sinister Strike, etc). Couldnt climb to save my life past 19 I think lol (this was a cheap f2p deck).

Here we are months later and I love the class. But now I have all the cards. I'd probably hate rogue if the game didnt randomly give me Van clef and malygos. I had to craft Bloodmage but that was well spent dust. love that little guy. Wish he was an Epic though so I could run 2 bloodmage

Pretty much a perfect curve game. Opponent (Dragon Priest) conceded at turn 5.

Turn 1: Coin, Innervate, 2 Druid of the Sabers in Stealth
Turn 2: Power of the Wild (+1/1)
Turn 3: Mark of Y'shaarj, Raven Idol (Swipe)
Turn 4: Wildwalker
Turn 5: Swipe

I even had Savage Roar and Druid of the Claw in my hand for lethal.

Tacitus_

I am approaching Reynad levels of salt on Barnes. Winning a game vs shaman, they get TB Valiant. Lose. Queue into hunter, they get Cloaked Huntress. Lose.

patchday

no offense but you probably shouldnt be losing to a cloaked huntress from barnes. The hunter that got huntress was probably thinking, "oh frak I wanted ragnaros or highmane"

I play secret hunter sometimes and this is what I think

edit- on second thought sry I was thinking the secret lady. cloaked huntress is a really good pull. but what deck are you? Secret hunter is bout tier 2 tops right now right

Tacitus_

no offense but you probably shouldnt be losing to a cloaked huntress from barnes. The hunter that got huntress was probably thinking, "oh frak I wanted ragnaros or highmane"

I lose because they dump their secrets on field, I lose the board and take 10 damage to my face. Can't come back.

Fuck, I could've dealt with a Highmane or Rag. Can't deal with all their secrets.

patchday

Wow that much dmg huh? You got a replay file handy I wonder if I should adapt their deck. I got a Hunter quest I need to do later lol

I have a secret hunter deck but going to make some heavy tweaking

Dahbomb

Getting a cloaked huntress is barely stronger than playing cloaked huntress itself, probably weaker. All you get is a 1/1 for 1 mana.
A 1/1 for 1 mana that can play Secrets from your hand for free. That's the whole point of using Cloaked Huntress, it's to cheat out the Secrets in Hand. If you have secrets in hand but no Cloaked Huntress, then Barnes can potentially pull it.

A 1/1 for 1 mana that can play Secrets from your hand for free. That's the whole point of using Cloaked Huntress, it's to cheat out the Secrets in Hand. If you have secrets in hand but no Cloaked Huntress, then Barnes can potentially pull it.

You know what else plays secrets from hand for free? A 3 mana cloaked huntress. The only difference is that you're actually paying 1 mana more for barnes and all you're getting is a 1/1. 1 mana for 1/1 worth of stats is weak. And 3/4 + 1/1 for 4 mana < 3/4 for 3 mana. It's just math (2.25 stats per mana vs 2.33) and not even counting for the 2 bodies vs 1, which is a big deal as splitting up is considered weaker.

If he lost to a 4 mana cloaked huntress, he would have also lost to a 3 mana cloaked huntress.

It's not like barnes pulled a highmane. It just acted like a weaker 3rd cloaked huntress. Even a thalnos is a better pull. You're getting a 2 mana minion alongside a 3/4, which means you got a 2 mana 3/4.

patchday

I was thinking a cloaked huntress is a good pull considering he died by turn 5. So if Barnes didn't pull out the cloaked huntress (which in turns grants the secrets)- maybe our fellow gaffer would have had time to build a defense and counter

* thats assuming the enemy Hunter didnt already have Cloaked huntress in hand and relied on Barnes to pull it out.

Thanks Tacitus_ you gave me an idea to tweak my secret hunter deck

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I don't think I've won against resurrect priest with warrior. Not entirely sure what to do against it either

This time I just smorced for the most part. Fierce Monkey and Bloodhoofbrave matched up on the board well but idk. Got the opponent down to 3 life but Priest of the Feast just healed him to like 20

Also entombed my shit

I was thinking a cloaked huntress is a good pull considering he died by turn 5. So if Barnes didn't pull out the cloaked huntress (which in turns grants the secrets)- maybe our fellow gaffer would have had time to build a defense and counter

* thats assuming the enemy Hunter didnt already have Cloaked huntress in hand and relied on Barnes to pull it out.

Thanks Tacitus_ you gave me an idea to tweak my secret hunter deck

It sounds like it was a good pull, situationally due to having a lot of secrets in hand. But I think if barnes is a problem, you have to look at it objectively. And objectively speaking a 4 mana cloaked huntress is actually weaker than the 3 mana version. Unlike a 4 mana malygos or a 4 mana highmane.

Dahbomb

I made a lengthy post but GAF servers were acting up so it got lost in the ether. RIP in peace.

I am excited for that Last Call tournament though. I want to see how well Frozen does.

patchday

Last Call tournament? Oh yeah I want to watch that too thanks for the reminder!

It sounds like it was a good pull, situationally due to having a lot of secrets in hand. But I think if barnes is a problem, you have to look at it objectively. And objectively speaking a 4 mana cloaked huntress is actually weaker than the 3 mana version. Unlike a 4 mana malygos or a 4 mana highmane.

Yeah I understand your point of view for sure

edit->

I don't think I've won against resurrect priest with warrior. Not entirely sure what to do against it either

This time I just smorced for the most part. Fierce Monkey and Bloodhoofbrave matched up on the board well but idk. Got the opponent down to 3 life but Priest of the Feast just healed him to like 20

Also entombed my shit

I really dont like playing against priest. So glad Maly rogue does well against them. At most- they might entomb malygos but by that point they're already knocking on death's door

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Quick question: If I buy now the first chapters of any of the expansions that will get rotated out next year (and apparently their adventures disabled for the aduience), will I be able to buy the rest as normal or will all the unfinished chapters be gone for good?

patchday

Ah that new player dilemma- "Should I spend money on this game?"

I always think the adventures are a good investment for the cards and I actually enjoyed the story. Kind of wish I could play the older adventures and I could've used the cards for Wild

note: the only bad news is usually the most powerful cards tend to be later in the adventure ;(

Raxus

Quick question: If I buy now the first chapters of any of the expansions that will get rotated out next year (and apparently their adventures disabled for the aduience), will I be able to buy the rest as normal or will all the unfinished chapters be gone for good?

That is a good question. I'd guess they'd be gone for good but don't quote me on that.

Levi

Banned
My first game on Asia with budget questing rogue was against a mill druid who drew me my won condition with his two coldlights. Get rekt.

This game's mechanics are so stupid sometimes. If you nuke Mad Scientist and he pulls Cat in the Hat, the spell you just nuked Mad Scientist with activates it.

Edit: And this next guy tried to Rockbiter Weapon himself on turn 2 after I threw a Frostbolt at him...then he conceded.

This game's mechanics are so stupid sometimes. If you nuke Mad Scientist and he pulls Cat in the Hat, the spell you just nuked Mad Scientist with activates it.

Edit: And this next guy tried to Rockbiter Weapon himself on turn 2 after I threw a Frostbolt at him...then he conceded.
Good old shame scoop.

If you resurrect a wild pyromancer resurrect also triggers it.

Levi

Banned
4 of 6 games on Asia ranked ladder were old school, never trade, turn one leper gnome face hunters.

One dude kill commanded my face when there was a 6/6 on board that he could have killed, and I had an easy lethal the next turn.

EDIT:

Asia Server Highlight Reel:

tlyJL8J.jpg

YfsFU82.jpg

12LLtf8.jpg

Zero Adventure Card Questing Rogue IS good enough for rank 20, it seems. Went 5-1 boys, then had to switch to Hunter for a quest (BARF).

sylvannas will steal a minion out of firelands portal

patchday

I swear this game triggers me so hard sometimes. finally got a chance to play for a bit uninterrupted from family. malygos rogue goes 100% win rate from rank 20 to 16 with 3 stars [actually guess I was rank 18 -> 16]. just 1 more star and I'll rank up to 15- my normal parking spot

then the matchmaker took a dump on me and paired me up with a Shaman and lose the match and then got rushed down by a few face decks right after. finally got knocked down to 17 lol such crap

pisses me off the ladder can be so easy sometimes and then its a grindfest other days guess I need to take a break for a bit. go play some Overwatch or something

[edit] Switched to a mage and got paired up with these crazy control pally running ragnaros lightlord / tirion / prince malchezzar. I won but it took forever. I swear I had to burn all of this guy's crappy zerg of random legends

I've added a singleton sunfury protector to Malygos Druid. Dead card in a couple matchups but such a roadblock in others.

Mulch ragnaros give them tirion, figures. Still can't win with the deck for shit.

Salex_

Secret hunter feels like cheating sometimes

Not far from it. 6/10 of my last games were against the same Hunter deck, the rest were Shaman. It's not fun or interactive to watch them mindlessly unload 2-3 Secrets and a 3/4 body in a single turn. It's almost impossible to catch up after that since they have so much damage and a ton of sticky minions.

Blizzard seems to love making cards that removes any form of decision making.

Tomcat

Lifecoach apparently have his input for next expansion?

Anyone know more reliable souce for this?

Anyone other than team 5 Is better
But I would prefer kibler than lc. How have his card reviews have been? Heard that he said that Reno was a bad card.

patchday

Yeah a campaign mode might be interesting I saw this survey posted on reddit a few days ago. It might get my vote. coop content might be nice too. would be fun to kick back and relax with a friend

Quadratic

Anyone been to a live event where the powercore cardback is given away? Is it as simple as going to the TO and giving them your battle.net credentials? I doubt it's a code or something that can be sold.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
But I would prefer kibler than lc. How have his card reviews have been? Heard that he said that Reno was a bad card.

Are you talking about Kibler or Lifecoach here?

Kibler usually does very well with card reviews. Not sure about Lifecoach. I think I've heard he basically calls every card terrible?

Kibler has been a pro on both sides, so he's probably more qualified to work on Hearthstone than anybody.

what would a campaign mode even be? when I hear that I just picture something that's the same as adventures

I gave feedback for a campaign mode before. My vision for it was sorta like planeswalker game they had for PC years ago. The idea was that you start with a basic deck and you earn cards over the course of the campaign. You could also gain a stronger hero power, level up cards, and there would be a lot of campaign only cards that would never be balanced in competitive play.

Dahbomb

Good ol' broken Mad Scientist.

If you use Fire Elemental on Mad Scientist, it pulls out Mirror Entity and then puts a Fire Elemental into play!

I gave feedback for a campaign mode before. My vision for it was sorta like planeswalker game they had for PC years ago. The idea was that you start with a basic deck and you earn cards over the course of the campaign. You could also gain a stronger hero power, level up cards, and there would be a lot of campaign only cards that would never be balanced in competitive play.
Hmm. So it would have no effect on competitive play? That would be nice. One of the reasons I didn't bother with Hex was the long slog through the campaign.

If you use Fire Elemental on Mad Scientist, it pulls out Mirror Entity and then puts a Fire Elemental into play!
"Well played."

Dahbomb

I like well made/designed single player campaigns so I am always down for it. I am mostly a single player gamer even though I do play my fair share of multiplayer games.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Of course the last time Blizzard tried to "fix" this by removing death processing in certain phases, they introduced other problems. The problem ultimately isn't mad scientist. It's that secrets are coded so that they are lit up and await triggers immediately upon entering play, regardless of any other actions in the queue. Right now we see this through the deathrattle of mad scientist, but if there were other ways that you could force your opponent to play a secret, it would have the same problem. For example, what if Blizzard introduced a minion that had a battlecry that gave both players a secret? Same issue. That would trigger mirror entity.

The "fix" should be that if a secret enters play, it should initially start in a darkened phase where it does not accept triggers. Then, the last action in the queue should be to light it up and begin to accept triggers. So Mad Scientist dies, the secret enters play, it starts out dark, the phases resolve, and then the secret turns on and lights up. That way, you always have the choice of when to try triggering the secret.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom