• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heropon

I'd like the idea more if it didn't replace that week's tavern brawl. I don't like losing that free pack or the ability to clear quests easily.

Pooya

Does it have a different rule each time or is it just constructed? because lol if it's just constructed.

entry fee is already too much for arena so that not many play it, 1000 gold/ 10 bucks? well, I like to see how the rewards scale, if you get a golden legendary and 20 packs for like 7 wins, I think it's reasonable.

Since you're seemingly rewarded with the latest set, it's a good idea to wait for new set to come out before attempting heroic brawl. getting 20+ packs of new set for 1000g seems really good.

Yeah the cost of entry is already going to limit the amount of players that actually participate which, if I had to guess, is going to make the average skill level significantly higher and bring the average number of wins down by quite a bit.

Which makes sense of course because the reward for 12 wins is bonkers.

patchday

I guess if I believed in myself more I'd hazard the 1000g but since I don't- it's an easy decision for me to pass. Looking forward to watching a streamer like Kripp try this

bjaelke

where are you seeing all the rewards?
https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/57y4al/introducing_heroic_tavern_brawl_news/d8vvp9a

V9GOI41BANS61476236132342.jpg

So yeah, looks like it's literally just constructed in an arena format. At least for the first one anyway, who knows if it will come back down the line with new rules.

standardeas5l.png

Dahbomb

I will try it but I think I might have to wait for how the rewards are on average.

This isn't going to be Arena so you can't count on having a 70% winrate. It will be closer to Standard which means 60% win rate. That means you can expect to get 4-5 wins if you are a decent Constructed player. So the rewards for 5 wins have to be significantly higher than what you can get for 1000 gold for this to be worth it. And of course the price entry means only seasoned players will be trying this which means you actually need the rewards to be worth it at 4 wins.

It's cool though, I like that Blizzard is adding something new to the game.

Also I think for the average player I think they should wait for a few days to netdeck. Trying to come up with a deck yourself for high stakes HS is a recipe for disaster if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

Edit: Wait it's just constructed??? God damn GARBAGE!!!!! Hype completely deflated. Will not be spending a dime on this.

Dahbomb

This is basically their version of an in game constructed tournamemt... except it doesn't have Bans so everyone is going to spam Shaman in it.

This is actually a big trap. They want people to use up their gold now before the expansion so people have to spend money on packs later on. Nope, not falling for this at all.

Pooya

if it gets really shaman heavy, you can counter shaman now. I don't think it's wise to queue with shaman, that's what people will expect and target. Mid shaman is so bad against freeze mage for example. I think best deck is actually some kind of control warrior.

It's a really cool idea still, the meta it could create should be fun, first guy hits 12 wins, posts the decks people copy it, others counter it and so on. It's so bad it's too costly to participate. 500g was reasonable imo, it takes like a month to get 1000g unless you're a streamer that hits 100g limit every day.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What are the odds that you reach twelve wins if you assume a ridiculously high winrate of 60%?

It has to be really low right? Like below 5%

Dahbomb

if it gets really shaman heavy, you can counter shaman now. I don't think it's wise to queue with shaman, that's what people will expect and target.

It's a really cool idea still, the meta it could create should be fun. It's so bad it's too costly to participate. 500g was reasonable imo, it takes like a month to get 1000g unless you're a streamer that hits 100g limit every day.
Just like it's unwise to queue with Shaman on Ladder right now?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Freeze mage becomes impossible to use. You can't use a deck that has an auto counter. So you can eliminate that problem with shamans.

patchday

Can't even outheal Pirate Warrior with Paladin...what the fuck is this bullshit? Used almost every heal and still lost.

Pally is just not really there in Standard. In this replay I obliterated this pally and his legion of legendaries (Prince Malchezzar). but maybe his build was utter crap I dunno. But he used all kinds of heal. I'm rewatching this replay cause it was bizzare

18 turns of pain tho. just watching him heal over & over

JesseZao

Heroic Pre-Expansion Gold Purge!

The week after: Pre-Order 50 Demons vs Dorfs packs for $49.99!

The confusing thing is calling it a brawl when it doesn't seem like it'll have "brawl" rulesets. It's just heroic constructed.

Pooya

Just like it's unwise to queue with Shaman on Ladder right now?

This mode is different, imagine every game you got was mage and you're going to get knocked out early on with your OP shaman. People will try to target you, people you play against aren't average joe on ladder either. If you want to do well in this I think you should try to counter not to play what's popular. It's about getting the most wins, not the fastest deck or easiest deck to play countless game with. Shaman isn't as immune as you think it is. I sure hope it becomes a shaman fest, then anyone with aggro freeze mage can just blow them out easy, hell why you think people play pirate warrior now?

Dahbomb

What even counters Midrange Shaman right now?
Freeze Mage is the best mathematical counter right now at 56% win rate over Shaman overall. Shaman's global win rate is 56% (second highest ever, Midrange Combo Druid was 57% at a very narrow point in time). As per VS reports. Calling a 6-4 match up a "counter" is disingenuous anyway.

Can't wait for a streamer to queue in Freeze Mage then face 3 Control Warriors in a row. Can't even change your deck so once you are locked in that's it.

This mode is different, imagine every game you got was mage and you're going to get knocked out early on with your OP shaman. People will try to target you, people you play against aren't average joe on ladder either. If you want to do well in this I think you should try to counter not to play what's popular. It's about getting the most wins, not the fastest deck or easiest deck to play countless game with.
Or imagine you queue in Freeze Mage thinking you are brilliant then lose to three Warriors in a row.

Or you queue into 3 Shamans and lose anyway because you still only win 60/40, maybe you get those 3 40%s in a row.

The counter strategy is far too risky.

Pooya

the other problem is the mirror match. If you're just going with shaman against other shamans, it all comes down to coin flips, 50 percent winrate. I think you want to avoid that too.

Or you queue into 3 Shamans and lose anyway because you still only win 60/40, maybe you get those 3 40%s in a row.

That's why I'm saying some kind of control warrior is actually the best. Why you think pros favor control warrior this much all throughout hearthstone? It's consistent and doesn't have a truly unwinnable match up right now and you can actually outplay people with it.

Salex_

Pally is just not really there in Standard. In this replay I obliterated this pally and his legion of legendaries (Prince Malchezzar). but maybe his build was utter crap I dunno. But he used all kinds of heal. I'm rewatching this replay cause it was bizzare

18 turns of pain tho. just watching him heal over & over

I have no idea what that Paladin deck is trying to do. Looks completely random lol.

What even counters Midrange Shaman right now?

Supposedly Freeze Mage. I'm not having much success with it lately though. Seems like Shamans are keeping Bloodlust now so you can't leave a weak board un-frozen. Lightning Bolt and the stupid weapon are constantly finishing me off before I can draw the cards I need.

Dahbomb

the other problem is the mirror match. If you're just going with shaman against other shamans, it all comes down to coin flips, 50 percent winrate. I think you want to avoid that too.

That's why I'm saying some kind of control warrior is actually the best. Why you think pros favor control warrior this much all throughout hearthstone? It's consistent and doesn't have a truly unwinnable match up right now and you can actually outplay people with it.
Midrange Shaman can tech to beat CW rather consistently and you will still have Hunters in this Brawl as they can beat FM too.

This Brawl will have it's own meta and eventually Midrange Shaman will come out on top. One day CW will be on top, another day another deck will be on top but Midrange Shaman will be what "defines" the meta.

If you want a consistent deck with high overall WR then you play Midrange Shaman. It's the best not because it's the easiest or the fastest... but because it's the most consistent against the field.

Levi

Banned
New mode announced now portends good things for Blizzcon, since they have better things to announce their than this.

All reddit wants to do is whine and complain that the mode is too hard and the low end rewards too weak, makes me realize why blizzard generally does not give a fuck for feedback. "give us new modes" "here!" "fuck u blizzard".

If this mode ain't for you, don't play it. I get ladder anxiety at rank 15, I'm not mentally strong enough for this mode but it'll be fun watching the pros dipping into their huge gold reserves.

I don't know why anyone would want to watch Kripp do this, he's not exactly a constructed master.

wiibomb

I'm depressed... 1000 is way too much for me to gamble on this mode.

even if I'm playing a midrange shaman deck myself

If this mode ain't for you, don't play it. I get ladder anxiety at rank 15, I'm not mentally strong enough for this mode but it'll be fun watching the pros dipping into their huge gold reserves.

yeah this is what usually happens to me.

I mean, if somehow at 3 wins we would break even with the 1000 fee I would be considering, but I'm afraid this will only be high tier rewards on the higher ends and shit on the lowers

New mode announced now portends good things for Blizzcon, since they have better things to announce their than this.

All reddit wants to do is whine and complain that the mode is too hard and the low end rewards too weak, makes me realize why blizzard generally does not give a fuck for feedback. "give us new modes" "here!" "fuck u blizzard".

I don't know why anyone would want to watch Kripp do this, he's not exactly a constructed master.

The salt of course. If someone gets 12 wins with Priest that person will be the best Hearthstone player.

Dahbomb

Well when this was announced as a "Brawl" people assumed it would have its own ruleset and Kripp does alright in deck construction challenges early on.

Now that it's basically just another form of Ladder, there's no point in watching Kripp play other than to watch him struggle and get whooped. I think he will try it though for the stream CPM and the allure of the shiny Goldens.

I think the good thing from this is that this could be a beta for a tournament mode down the line. Either that or the next Heroic Brawl will have a more different ruleset.

sibarraz

Banned
I have faith on Blizzard using this mode as a way to play constructed with restrictions, even could work as feedack since in this mode we will mostly see optimized decks

wiibomb

The salt of course. If someone gets 12 wins with Priest that person will be the best Hearthstone player.

I would argue with the blizz devs to let priest players have an secret code inside the rewards to give them 60 packs and 4 golden legendaries...

they would totally deserve it

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
From what I can tell, a very good 60% winrate player has around a (removed) chance at hitting 12 wins.

No that math sucks. But the chance is still pretty low.

This brawl will be way more interesting after the new expansion. Unsettled meta + potential 50 pack reward of NEW cards. I'd consider throwing away 1000 gold then.

Levi

Banned
I take it back, I do want to watch Kripp play this and get totally exposed, and then whine for 20 minutes about "netdeckers" right before promoting a web app that drafts arena decks for you.

The salt and hypocrisy will be so delish.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well when this was announced as a "Brawl" people assumed it would have its own ruleset and Kripp does alright in deck construction challenges early on.

Now that it's basically just another form of Ladder, there's no point in watching Kripp play other than to watch him struggle and get whooped. I think he will try it though for the stream CPM and the allure of the shiny Goldens.

I think the good thing from this is that this could be a beta for a tournament mode down the line. Either that or the next Heroic Brawl will have a more different ruleset.
Blizzard has been pretty up front that they use Brawls to test future ideas for cards/etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something akin to Fates eventually either.

I take it back, I do want to watch Kripp play this and get totally exposed, and then whine for 20 minutes about "netdeckers" right before promoting a web app that drafts arena decks for you.

The salt and hypocrisy will be so delish.

Haha the Kripp hate. I don't like the guy either i just find it funny.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I bet none of the major streamers make it to 12 wins.

I'm most curious to find out the rewards for the different tiers. Because if they aren't really big, this brawl is a massive ripoff.

Heroic brawl seems interesting. I just want to know what kind of rules they'll use. That'll figure into whether the mode is good or not.

Can you walk me through your mulligan strat for your Maly deck?

Mulligans for rogue are pretty hard. But typically I aim for shadowstrike, backstab, si7 agent (if I have backstab)

for aggro: add fan of knives

Tomb pillager is a tricky one. You want him in most match ups but I hesitate to say he is something you automatically include because against some decks (like tempo mage), they can deal 4 damage so easily it might even be a liability. Against aggro I think it is too slow, but maybe okay if the rest of your mulligan is good.

Also prep is a card that is very difficult to evaluate whether you keep or not. It can be very great or it can be very poor. It depends on the rest of your mulligan imo.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Heroic brawl seems interesting. I just want to know what kind of rules they'll use. That'll figure into whether the mode is good or not.

Mulligans for rogue are pretty hard. But typically I aim for shadowstrike, backstab, si7 agent (if I have backstab)

for aggro: add fan of knives

Tomb pillager is a tricky one. You want him in most match ups but I hesitate to say he is something you automatically include because against some decks (like tempo mage), they can deal 4 damage so easily it might even be a liability. Against aggro I think it is too slow, but maybe okay if the rest of your mulligan is good.

There are no special rules. It's just standard constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom