• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tacitus_

Man...

Hunter pulls Highmane out of Barnes, I clear that + double Grandma. Then he has two weak turns and I get board control. Rag, goes face (1/3), I hex it. Call of the Wild, Huffer to face, I clear. Call of the Wild. I die.

Levi

Banned
Haha the Kripp hate. I don't like the guy either i just find it funny.

I don't hate him, I don't wish him ill, he's worked really, really hard to get where he is.

I just don't think he's genuine. He's playing a character, and that character I no longer find very entertaining.

If I still played arena I'd watch him despite that, because he's undeniably good at it and watching him might help me play better.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I take it back, I do want to watch Kripp play this and get totally exposed, and then whine for 20 minutes about "netdeckers" right before promoting a web app that drafts arena decks for you.

The salt and hypocrisy will be so delish.

Not a fan of Kripp. but dang at the hate lol! :)

It's a bit too expensive for me but im looking forward to watch Kibler's and Forsen's runs.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I would counter the midrange shaman Heroic Brawl meta with the anti-midrange shaman version of midrange shaman, that has Argent Horserider instead of Barnes to kill spell-power totems, and Harrison Jones instead of Ragnoros because Ragnoros sucks against midrange shaman.

Also takes out 2 RNG cards which might help if the goal is going 12-2 or better.

Each legendary is like 30 packs of dust. 1k gold is 10 packs, 1k dust is like 10 packs, and add 50 packs... the reward for 12 wins is basically 160 packs for 10 dollars/1000 gold. Pretty good.

I'm not actually that enticed by the rewards oddly enough. It's a pretty dizzying amount.

patchday

Mulligans for rogue are pretty hard. But typically I aim for shadowstrike, backstab, si7 agent (if I have backstab)

for aggro: add fan of knives

Tomb pillager is a tricky one. You want him in most match ups but I hesitate to say he is something you automatically include because against some decks (like tempo mage), they can deal 4 damage so easily it might even be a liability. Against aggro I think it is too slow, but maybe okay if the rest of your mulligan is good.

Also prep is a card that is very difficult to evaluate whether you keep or not. It can be very great or it can be very poor. It depends on the rest of your mulligan imo.

Thanks you've been such a great help. I've been messing up my mulligans sometimes which gets me off to a bad start

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I think calling it a Brawl is likely going to cause a lot of confusion. This is just a weekly triple elimination tournamentish bracket, right?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think calling it a Brawl is likely going to cause a lot of confusion. This is just a weekly triple elimination tournamentish bracket, right?

It takes the place of the weekly brawl, it's a paid Brawl but its still a brawl

The more I think about it, the more I'm like... well, it's only 1k gold. Well, 900 gold because you get a pack even at 0 wins. How many wins could it take to "break even", 10 packs? So probably like 3 wins. That's a 50% win rate. A 60% winrate gets you like 5 wins. Maybe even profit at that point.

I don't think it is weekly though. It takes place of the regular brawl the week it is active.

wiibomb

cross posting from the Gaming side thread:

I don't think this is as new and fresh as some people are making it to be.

Sure it is a new mode, basically, but this is more like a mixed up constructed ranked play + arena. the only new thing here is the huge price and the supposed new huge rewards (I say supposed since we only know the 12 win rewards)

I like they are trying this, despite me not having enough to play it, but this isn't as new and fresh.

sibarraz

Banned
The other thing that I would love to see in this mode is making the matches a best of 3. If they want to make this mode have a tournament like feel, then they should implent this since an 1 vs 1 match with high stakes shouldn't be defined by only 1 match.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I assume at some point they're going to tell us all the reward tiers for this Heroic Brawl before it launches, right?

Are they really expecting players to have to spend $10 to find out until they can crowd source the information into a wiki?

wiibomb

I assume at some point they're going to tell us all the reward tiers for this Heroic Brawl before it launches, right?

Are they really expecting players to have to spend $10 to find out until they can crowd source the information into a wiki?

assume they are not.

I expect to find out the rewards tiers by watching some streamers playing it and gathering data through the HS reddit

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not as mad about this mode as some not do I think this is gambling.

That being said y'all have fun with this. I'm not dropping 1,000 gold on this cluster.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm not as mad about this mode as some not do I think this is gambling.

That being said y'all have fun with this. I'm not dropping 1,000 gold on this cluster.

Of course it is gambling. You put money or gold up to have a chance at winning a larger prize at the end or you lose most of your buy in if you lose.

Do you not think a poker tournament is gambling?

Razakin

So, finally managed to get something good from a spectator pack, and first time getting a double leg. Pity that had them both and sucks that the second was Captain Greenskin.

mbJHB19.png

Still, some dust for future use, especially when I don't see either one getting nerfed in the near distant future.

And this new Heroic Brawl sounds kinda interesting, pity it is just Standard without any extra rules. Though, depending how the win rewards go outside of going 12 wins, I could see myself dropping 1000 gold. But then, with my luck, I would go 0-3 instantly.

Of course it is gambling. You put money or gold up to have a chance at winning a larger prize at the end or you lose most of your buy in if you lose.

Do you not think a poker tournament is gambling?

I still firmly believe that hearthstone is a game of skill. Otherwise how else could someone maintain a 60-70% winrate with a tier 3 deck?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I still firmly believe that hearthstone is a game of skill. Otherwise how else could someone maintain a 60-70% winrate with a tier 3 deck?

Poker is a game of skill also. With luck elements. Like hearthstone.

Plenty of gambling games have large skill portions.

I could get lucky and beat a pro player ten times in a row, both in poker and hearthstone.

Poker is a game of skill also. With luck elements. Like hearthstone.

Plenty of gambling games have large skill portions.

I could get lucky and beat a pro player ten times in a row, both in poker and hearthstone.

Many people don't consider poker to be gambling. Just because you make a bet or pay an entry fee, doesn't mean you're gambling. Just because there is an element of luck, doesn't mean you're gambling.

So 7-8 wins to hit the break even point.

Doesn't seem worth it.

If we view a pack as 40 dust, you'd need 4 wins to make a profit.

Maybe this is a better assessment. I guess it depends how you value dust.

Edit: Also I'm guessing by the way they have the rewards tiered that they don't expect many, if anyone at all, to hit that 12 win tier.

If we view a pack as 40 dust, you'd need 4 wins to make a profit.

I see a pack as 100 dust, because I recall people did the analysis on classic packs. I think the other sets are different but I am not aware of what those differences are. So at 4 wins you lose about 100 gold.

At 5 wins you start profiting.

It's a pretty rough curve imo.

It looks to imitate a tournament reward system. The jump between 11 and 12 confirms that I think.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
No, sorry but you're wrong. Gambling is defined as betting something of value in a game where luck is the predominant factor. Luck is not the predominant factor in hearthstone. It's not the predominant factor in poker either.

I mean, you're just coming up with a definition of gambling to fit your argument.

Levi

Banned
I'm pretty sure I have the worst luck vs Yogg in the entire game since the nerf.. I've faced 7 yoggs since the nerf. 0/7 of them killed themselves. 4/7 cast Call of the Wild. 5 of them absolutely changed the game's outcome.

Today I faced two in the row while trying to complete a quest with Maly Druid.

First had no board and I had Maly. I had lethal next turn with swipe. The Mage's Yogg casts Call, Ice Lances my Maly (out of the now 5 targets) and casts shatter, gains 8 armor and 4 secrets which didn't matter because after I dealt with Call of the Wild and a 7/4 I was low enough that a topdecked fireball ended the game so I didn't even get to proc the secrets.

The next game vs Rogue I was doing pretty good vs their burgle deck but once again I get fucked by Yogg. This the board after I mulched their divine shielded 10/5 Yogg and tried to draw for lethal (which got harder because they also gained armor.) Note that the only card on that board that they played from hand was Cairne, the rest of those minions were generated by Yogg Soron.

ripfbNC.jpg

They also had a savage roar in hand, I don't know if it was from Yogg or from Burgle. I died at nearly full health one turn Yogg was played and all but 7 damage was generated by Yogg. Seems fair.

How unlucky is it that I have yet to see a Yogg kill themself? That I've only seen one that had no impact on the game at all? That 6/7 were incredibly good (and generated far above ten mana of value)? Isn't Yogg supposed to be a risky play?

I can't win vs Yogg and I get matched up with idiot players for whom Yogg is their win condition. Feels bad.

I mean, you're just coming up with a definition of gambling to fit your argument.

I'm not just making up a definition of gambling, but how would you define it then? Any game with luck or variance outside of the player's control? I think you know that is not accurate. How would you define gambling if my definition is wrong?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I'm not just making up a definition of gambling, but how would you define it then? Any game with luck or variance outside of the player's control? I think you know that is not accurate. How would you define gambling if my definition is wrong?

No of course not. Hearthstone and poker are not inherently gambling just because luck is involved. They are gambling when you bet on the outcome.

Dahbomb

Big jump between 8 and 9 wins as well. I would be salty if I lost at 8 wins.

This is not really worth it to attempt for the average player. 5 wins to start being within the profit range is a bit much though doable.

This mode is going to produce some salt that is for sure.

Another thing is that if there is match making involved. Like if you are matched up against other players who are 0-2 if you are also 0-2. That might make it easier to swallow.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Big jump between 8 and 9 wins as well. I would be salty if I lost at 8 wins.

This is not really worth it to attempt for the average player. 5 wins to start being within the profit range is a bit much though doable.

This mode is going to produce some salt that is for sure.

I don't think this is worth it even for the best players.

The streamers are +EV simply because they will get a lot of views from it.

Dahbomb

hell 11 to 12 is even bigger i say.
Yeah I was adding on that. 11 to 12 is clearly the biggest jump and I would be omega salty if I lost at 11 wins.

I don't think this is worth it even for the best players.
The high end rewards are nice and you can brag about it. I think top players will definitely attempt it because it's at least something new. In that regard the rewards almost don't matter for them but they are a nice plus no doubt.

No of course not. Hearthstone and poker are not inherently gambling just because luck is involved. They are gambling when you bet on the outcome.

So anything is gambling if there is a bet? Because there certainly is variance/luck in a lot of games that are not considered gambling. If you're not considering how much control someone has in the outcome, then anything with a bet is considered gambling. And the "bet" is actually an entry fee and not actually part of the stakes. On top of that, it's not like you buy in with 10 dollars and come away with 200 dollars.

Yeah I was adding on that. 11 to 12 is clearly the biggest jump and I would be omega salty if I lost at 11 wins.

I would be thrilled to get 11 wins lol... 2 golden legendary cards... is amazing. At 11 wins, I'd be like... "damn I already basically won, whatever happens next isn't gonna bring this hype train down"

Dahbomb

So anything is gambling if there is a bet? Because there certainly is variance/luck in a lot of games that are not considered gambling. If you're not considering how much control someone has in the outcome, then anything with a bet is considered gambling. And the "bet" is actually an entry fee and not actually part of the stakes. On top of that, it's not like you buy in with 10 dollars and come away with 200 dollars.

I would be thrilled to get 11 wins lol... 2 golden legendary cards... is amazing. At 11 wins, I'd be like... "damn I already basically won, whatever happens next isn't gonna bring this hype train down"
That swing of 34 packs though!

You will end up mulling over ever loss and every RNG instance. "Man if that guy didn't have that spell damage totem roll I woukd be 34 packs richer!"

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

If you bet on the outcome of a game where the best players have a 60% winrate, yes I would consider that gambling.

If you bet on something where the outcome is uncertain it is gambling.

The bet being an entry fee is irrelevant. You put up money to participate for the chance to get a large prize. Just because the vig is super high because blizzard is stingy doesn't change the fact it is gambling.

The chances of a person getting to 12 wins is less than 10% for the very best players. That is a slim chance.

Pooya

Seems alright to me. Problem is I have no use for old gods packs but if they have this once a month, after next set comes out I will try. The current meta isn't great for this either, things could change by then.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Because of how matchmaking works in arena and presumably this mode, are a certain number of people guaranteed to get to twelve wins?

If you were randomly matched up to any other player, you should theoretically have less players getting to 12 wins.

If you always matched up ranks for games, then you'd always have SOMEBODY going to a higher level of wins, ensuring that people were reaching higher numbers of wins right?

I guess that assumes there are always players waiting to be matched at every number of wins.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

I think you are both operating on what most people percieved as gambling (money exchanging hands over the outcome of any event), versus what the actual english word gambling means (playing a game of chance with stakes which could be money or whatever). The distinction is small but relevant. For instance, sports betting (which is very similar to what happens if you are betting on ESports) is certainly gambling because the outcomes of the sporting events are in some ways random, yet no one denies that the sports themselves are skillful. Taking the bets on the outcomes is what constitutes gambling in this instance.

This new arena/constructed mode isn't exactly analogous to that but you could see it in a similar light. The player is wagering an entry fee vs the expected outcome of rewards for that fee. I think you can make an argument for this one either way and it comes down to player perception. If you think of the 1000g/$10 as some kind of entry fee, a sunk cost to participate that you can't get back, then it doesn't really feel like gambling anymore than playing the hearthstone ladder does. If you see it as a 1000g/$10 bet on your outcome, then it is a gambling decision with a wager.

For obvious reasons Blizzard would sell it as an entry fee, but I think it's pretty fair to see it the other way as well. I've already stated my preference to keep my money and spend it on 10 packs down the road, but I don't think people interested in proving they are the best are wrong to try this mode. I just know that I won't be.

patchday

So, finally managed to get something good from a spectator pack, and first time getting a double leg. Pity that had them both and sucks that the second was Captain Greenskin.

Still, some dust for future use, especially when I don't see either one getting nerfed in the near distant future.

And this new Heroic Brawl sounds kinda interesting, pity it is just Standard without any extra rules. Though, depending how the win rewards go outside of going 12 wins, I could see myself dropping 1000 gold. But then, with my luck, I would go 0-3 instantly.

Lord Jaraxxus doesnt suck. Sometimes it is an advantage to play something that's not quite in meta to surprise opponent. I use Jaraxxus on my Renolock in Wild. At least try it before dusting it to see if its fun. I even saw a streamer run it the other night in their dragon reno. I'll dig it up if time presents

[edit] Linky, savtz renolock

edit 2- gratz on your haul buddy!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seems alright to me. Problem is I have no use for old gods packs but if they have this once a month, after next set comes out I will try. The current meta isn't great for this either, things could change by then.

I'd be surprised if they took up that many Brawl spots with this.

It's how they feed free packs to new players, and it's meant to be a mode that offers people more variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom