• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchday

6140?! dang I need to start saving my gold. Yall gonna be opening up your packs and posting screenshots of all the loot (from the expansion)

Dahbomb

I am up to 1000g already and started saving up last week. Should have some nice change by the time the expansion rolls around.

And yeah my 1000g is definitely not going into this new mode.

Dahbomb

Alright I'll make sure I start saving as well so I won't be sick when I see people opening like 20+ packs
That's nothing, I see people opening 200+ packs on the regular during expansion release. The streamers tend to go wild too, someone like Kripp opens like 600 packs.

Xanathus

Q11cpLQ.png

I'll just get like 40-50 packs from the next expansion as usual. The brawl is such a blatant gold scam by Blizzard.

wiibomb

sad to see I won't be getting my free classic pack this week ha ha ha.

yeah I think this is a scam from blizzard to take the gold from poor souls before announcing the next expansion.

We already should know how blizz likes to profit more than anything,

I'll be watching good players may be, but I'll be pretty far from this

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I think this would be more interesting to me if I didn't hate the current meta. No thanks for now, gonna hold my gold.

How is it a scam when anyone can figure out the odds, they released the rewards per win... everyone has access to this information. It's not like they're hiding something up their sleeves. Maybe it would be a scam if they didn't let you know up front that the reward scheme is very different from Arena. It's just a brawl that can't be farmed for value by most people (I think you can only enter a few times anyway).

I understand it not appealing to most people. But a scam?... no.

So I have Ancient of War up and my opponent has Freezing Trap up. I'm content to just let it sit there but I guess he got impatient or something and used Call of the Wild to drop my AoW to 1 health. Freeze it, replay it and he concedes shortly after.

Definitely one of the stranger plays I've seen.

Xanathus

How is it a scam when anyone can figure out the odds, they released the rewards per win... everyone has access to this information. It's not like they're hiding something up their sleeves. Maybe it would be a scam if they didn't let you know up front that the reward scheme is very different from Arena. It's just a brawl that can't be farmed for value by most people (I think you can only enter a few times anyway).

It's a "scam" in the same sense that a lottery or scratch ticket is a scam. The rewards and odds are available and anyone reasonably intelligent will know that it's stupid to buy those but it still succeeds at fooling people who can't math or have willpower to see that it's a fool's game.

Look at how sleazily they're marketing it by showing the 12 wins reward up front and centre but then hiding the actual tier rewards behind an image link.

Everyone knows that when you get an e-mail from a Nigerian princess looking to make you a millionaire, it's not legit. But it's still a scam.

Everyone knows that when you get an e-mail from a Nigerian princess looking to make you a millionaire, it's not legit. But it's still a scam.

Okay, when Blizzard actually pays out on rewards you'll eat your hat?

There is no fraud here. No deception. They even said it's for extremely competitive players. They're not scamming or tricking anyone.

vall03

Played against a friend for the 80g quest using a janky C'thun Warrior and lost pretty badly against his Renolock. This made me realize that Warrior decks are fucking expensive. This deck basically need Control Warrior cards such as Shield Slam, Brawl, Justicar etc and I don't have any of those cards. Guess I'm going back to using a Dragon Warrior.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Played against a friend for the 80g quest using a janky C'thun Warrior and lost pretty badly against his Renolock. This made me realize that Warrior decks are fucking expensive. This deck basically need Control Warrior cards such as Shield Slam, Brawl, Justicar etc and I don't have any of those cards. Guess I'm going back to using a Dragon Warrior.

Yeah, sadly the core removals you need are all epics which hurt a lot. It's actually a lot cheaper than it used to be pre-Elise, used to run a boatload of legendaries which gave it the apt name of Wallet Warrior.

sibarraz

Banned
On second thought, I'm actually fine with the ladder rewards, the whole idea of this mode is that the players pay for the pool of cards, not everyone can't win something always, there must be something to lose. My only gripe is how the meta will develop there, if is an mid shaman festa like everyone predicts, it will be trash.

Also, if you don't care about currencies, this mode seems better with actual money than gold, at least the 1000 gold doesn't look that good for the chances if breaking even, with money with slightly better, but the upside is that you are really spending real money

I don't think it's possible for him to show the emotion of anger lol.

As for this new Brawl, two things bother me:

1) there are going to be so many Shamans, it'll be sickening. I personally do not want to see that shit.

2) I understand the desire for heavily skewed rewards, but it seems a bit much that 5-7 wins give nowhere near the entry fee value. Only at 9 do you break even. Which is fine but there should be another jump midway (around 5 wins) because rewards are fuck all before 9 wins.

Edit: Nvm break even point is at 5 wins. That's fine actually.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Only thing I disagree with is targeting the one card that allows Shaman to be diverse. Nerfing TFB could balance Midrange shaman, but really hurt the rest of the class in the process. I don't really want another TGT situation where Shaman has exactly one good aggressive deck, and I don't think anyone thinks the types of shaman decks that don't include Tunnel Trogg + Totem Golem are oppressive right now.

I guess it depends on how they nerf it though. Changing it to only discount on basic totem might not hurt the card too much in decks that don't even run Totem Golem and Flametongue Totem, but I don't know if that's enough of a nerf to midrange when midrange really needs a huge nerf right now.

My solution would still be to allow for targeted moves of problem cards to Wild, and moving Totem Golem, Tunnel Trogg, and Thunderbluff Valiant to wild early.

Levi

Banned
Nice summary of Reynad's thoughts on the Heroic Brawl (stolen from Reddit):

TL;DW: Reynad states that people are complaining because they won't/can't participate because they are scared/can't afford the gold price, and are therefor trying to drag it down due to the "If I don't like it no one can" mentality. He is also upset that the community is giving Blizzard a hard time when they for the first time ever does something for the more competitive players. He point out that the Brawl is not for the average players and everyone should stop complaining just because they don't like it.

It's not a scam, it's not gambling, it's a fucking mode, and it's OPTIONAL. This bullshit concern trolling about these fictional players who are getting "scammed" into "gambling away" their gold savings and missing out on expansion packs... they don't exist.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Nice summary of Reynad's thoughts on the Heroic Brawl (stolen from Reddit):

It's not a scam, it's not gambling, it's a fucking mode, and it's OPTIONAL. This bullshit concern trolling about these fictional players who are getting "scammed" into "gambling away" their gold savings and missing out on expansion packs... they don't exist.

The fact that the Heroic Brawl replaces the normal brawl for that week means that normal players who don't have a compelling reason to enter have a reason to complain. This "optional" mode is taking over a weekly event that people have come to expect. Now it is occasionally taken away from them.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Somebody had an interesting idea on Reddit for nerfing nzoth for the sake of wild.

Make the battlecry trigger every deathrattle that died this game.

It can still build you a bit of a board, draw you some cards, steal an enemy minion, but it might not be quite as dominant.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Dancing Swords and Deathlords.

The deathlords strategy is at least a little bit risky for a mill deck since they don't get the taunt to go along with it.

I thought it a pretty fun idea to change nzoth, keep it powerful but limiting the monster board it creates.

Pooya

Everything they've done in this game so far was to appeal to the lowest common denominator. This is the first time they're doing something that is not and that bodes well for the future of the game and the features core audience is asking for. Not everything in the game should be about everyone. They're also doing it for the streamers, October is supposed to be all month long HS event on twitch if you missed it in the prime announcement. Instead of endlessly grinding ladder which doesn't even matter right now this year, they're giving a high stakes mode for people to watch.

sibarraz

Banned
Why is it praiseworthy that blizzard is making something the average person can't enjoy?

Is praiseworthy since they are giving an option for players who want to play a mode with stakes like arena but with a constructed format, there are things to improve but I'm fine with having more options for different players, at least I don't think that everything should cater to everyone

patchday

new heroic brawl is a fine idea and all but it should not replace the normal free Brawls we have. I am fine with the top tier cream of the crop having an exclusive mode they can enjoy.

I want it to run alongside the normal Brawl.

This new mode is obviously not for the faint of heart. It's for hardcore risk takers that believe in theirself lol

sibarraz

Banned
I doubt that blizzard will throw under the bus the players who still want their free pack, i could see them giving free entries on the mode, but without the option of stacking prices, it will be a glorified casual mode, which still will suck for newer players

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
All they have to do is tweak the entry fee and the prizes and people in general will be much happier about this occasional mode.

wiibomb

I doubt that blizzard will throw under the bus the players who still want their free pack, i could see them giving free entries on the mode, but without the option of stacking prices, it will be a glorified casual mode, which still will suck for newer players

if they do that, I'll be completely fine.

making a new mode with an entrance fee of 1000 gold or $10 is pretty sad.

there are complete games at those prices.

EDIT: they could erase the option to get huge rewards. may be some peasant rewards if they are so afraid of their profits, but make it so we casuals are able to play too

Dahbomb

Somebody had an interesting idea on Reddit for nerfing nzoth for the sake of wild.

Make the battlecry trigger every deathrattle that died this game.

It can still build you a bit of a board, draw you some cards, steal an enemy minion, but it might not be quite as dominant.
Probably so but it would still be strong in Wild. I don't think Blizzard cares for Wild balance much.

patchday

Freeze mage with the +2 spell power kobold is some bullshit. Just got killed from 27 HP at 7 mana without emperor

Replay? I want to see his build lol. sounds like the evolved kobold deck. Still havent had a chance to run that one.

Man I've had very little time to play altogether.

@WillNeverHitRank10

Pooya

I'm just going to say that right before old gods came out, I called it that evolved kobold will be in freeze mage and combo decks and people are sleeping on it. And you had a bunch of clueless 'pro' people, including Laughing himself, calling the card bad and arguing about its stats like it's relevant at all, like how bad you can be, he straight up said the card will never be in freeze mage, lol. No, he didn't put it in freeze mage, someone else built the deck and he just copied it actually.

Tells you enough that all these personalities are awful at card evaluation and deck building, they just know how to play a deck someone else built. The real deck builders and innovators of HS are mostly unknown players actually posting on /r/comphs and similar places and not popular streamer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Freeze mage with the +2 spell power kobold is some bullshit. Just got killed from 27 HP at 7 mana without emperor

I wouldn't recommend leaving kobold up for a turn. It's kind of a high priority target against freeze mage.

But he must have also had an apprentice up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom