• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otnopolit

I really hope Blizzard addresses Mid Range Shaman again with more nerfs. The meta isn't going to change until the expansion comes out without them. I can imagine them going back and forth regarding weather it's worth changing things or riding out when TGT cards rotate out, but I don't think that's going to be enough.

Levi

Banned
The fact that the Heroic Brawl replaces the normal brawl for that week means that normal players who don't have a compelling reason to enter have a reason to complain. This "optional" mode is taking over a weekly event that people have come to expect. Now it is occasionally taken away from them.

Seems a bit entitled to be honest.

Why is it praiseworthy that blizzard is making something the average person can't enjoy?

Because hardcore players need attention as well. Blizzard is SUPER FOCUSED on the casual fan, and they do one thing that isn't and they all lose their mind. Seems selfish and short-sighted.

Everyone complains the game is stale and for babies. They do something that is both different and difficult, and everyone still complains. ???

embalm

So I'm mad about the Brawl for slightly different reasons.

They should have done a true Swiss Style Tournament.

Let me play 12 games, no matter what. Drop the 3 losses and you're out format that's already in Arena. In this style of play, with extremely high stakes, it just isn't fair or fun at all that you get kicked out for a bad streak. You should have the opportunity to play all 12 games for the crazy high cost of entry, 1000 gold. They could change the rewards to match the win rates of this style, and still have high risk/reward, but it's just not interesting to me with those rules.

I really want to play a format like this. I am the fish that feeds the whales in this format. I think I'm good enough, but I'm probably not. I want to risk 1,000 gold on a big payout and would probably throw down $20 to play multiple times. Yet they completely lost me.

Instead I would rather play Arena 7 times. It will cost me 1050. I'm going to get at least 7 packs, I get to play a whole lot more matches, I get to shake off bad streaks and try again, and I get to play more diverse decks.
It's such a better deal that I don't understand why anyone would choose the new mode.

The fact that the Heroic Brawl replaces the normal brawl for that week means that normal players who don't have a compelling reason to enter have a reason to complain. This "optional" mode is taking over a weekly event that people have come to expect. Now it is occasionally taken away from them.
Yes.

new heroic brawl is a fine idea and all but it should not replace the normal free Brawls we have. I am fine with the top tier cream of the crop having an exclusive mode they can enjoy.

I want it to run alongside the normal Brawl.

This new mode is obviously not for the faint of heart. It's for hardcore risk takers that believe in theirself lol
Yes.

Because hardcore players need attention as well. Blizzard is SUPER FOCUSED on the casual fan, and they do one thing that isn't and they all lose their mind. Seems selfish and short-sighted.

Everyone complains the game is stale and for babies. They do something that is both different and difficult, and everyone still complains. ???
Does this post really make sense in your head if you read it a second time?

Paches

I like the new brawl idea. Something for the upper tier players and probably as close as we will get to a tournament system within the game itself for them. Most brawls are stupid RNG fests anyways.

wiibomb

I always thought it would be a fine idea if they make a tournament like the ones held in the pokemon game seasons.

play whatever amount you want, each win will amount you some points depending on how you played, at the end of the season you would see how others fared against each other.

that way everyone would play, and even more, it would be super compelling to return to the game to play more, just for the fact that it would accumulate more points for each game won.

Levi

Banned
Does this post really make sense in your head if you read it a second time?

Yes? What doesn't make sense about it. I think it's a positive thing that Blizzard is attempting to put something in game for the hardcore player. It's not even a permanent addition, so everyone who hates it just needs to wait 7 days.

Whining about one week of regular Tavern Brawl going away is so ludicrous. While I'll miss my free pack, I also realize I've been given, what, 60 free packs and a card back, all for free? They can skip a week. We're lucky they still give free packs, because from day one they've said that the free pack for brawl was limited time only.

Dahbomb

This is real talk about the Heroic Brawl.

Pros:

*Something that is actually catered to the hardcore for once and not towards the lowest common denominator.

*It's still something new for the game to distract us from the monotony.

*This is probably a testing ground for new stuff in the future, hopefully an actual tournament client even though they have denied it.

*This one can be a con too but this format is going to create a hyper pressure chamber for the meta. Even in ranked people mess around with quests, experimental decks and other oddities that the actual stats are skewered because of not everyone is try harding. This format however makes it so that people have to try hard which means that the meta will be magnified. In addition, people have to bring the deck with the best win rate, not the one that is fastest/easiest play (though Shaman has the win rate as well).If everyone brings Shaman then we might see more success of counters but on the other hand if Shaman is shown to be supremely dominant then that's just more statistics/evidence for Blizzard to do something about.

Cons:

*It's erroneously called a "Brawl" even though it has nothing to do with Brawl. If they don't give the free weekly Pack then this is an objective negative for most people especially new players. It wouldn't be an issue if this was its own thing but it replacing Brawl for the week is a mistake. The only reason why it's called a Brawl is because it will just use the Tavern Brawl tab for the week as Blizzard wasn't bothered enough to create its own separate tab/UI.

*It is NOT innovative or interesting. It is LITERALLY Arena combined with Standard Constructed. I can't take anyone seriously who thinks this is pushing the envelope, they are either so thirsty for something new that they are quick to call it that or they are shilling for Blizzard.

*This goes back to the whole Brawl thing but this event not having its own deck building rules was a huge missed opportunity. It being just an alternative Ladder for the week is very unappealing to many even seasoned players.

*Despite it trying to be like a tournament, it is very different from actual tournaments. There are no bans, multiple decks/classes, you don't play the same person multiple times (so you can't get long ranged reads), no side decking (as it is a single deck) and it's not a true Swiss style. It would've been more palatable if you were allowed to play the whole 12-15 games and then got rewards based off of that. But nah, Blizzard went the lazy route and just copy/pasted the Arena format.

*The timing of this is sketchy, right before Blizzcon and the next expansion and right as they have received a ton of backlash on the game. The pessimist in me thinks this is a ploy to get people to use excess gold so that they are more likely to spend real money on the expansion. I would've much preferred to see this Brawl right after the release of the expansion so that we could've had a new meta to play around with and then people who figure the meta quickly would've been rewarded. It's not a scam in the strictest use of the word but it feels shady.

Levi said:
Whining about one week of regular Tavern Brawl going away is so ludicrous. While I'll miss my free pack, I also realize I've been given, what, 60 free packs and a card back, all for free? They can skip a week. We're lucky they still give free packs, because from day one they've said that the free pack for brawl was limited time only.
This is a terrible argument because this just opens up Blizzard to start taking away stuff that they have implemented as features in the game and then be defended for it.

*No more Spectate Quest for a week? Nah man we should be glad that Blizzard has graced us with free packs for a year!

*No more Play a Friend quest for a week? Man this quest was so generous, we should be glad that Blizzard gave us this in the first place.

If you keep letting Blizzard get away with it then they will try to get away with more. Until we get mass riots and Blizzard has to do something about it again. We are having a critical discussion on the Brawl, not whining.

Dahbomb

wiibomb

This is real talk about the Heroic Brawl.

Pros:

*Something that is actually catered to the hardcore for once and not towards the lowest common denominator.

*It's still something new for the game to distract us from the monotony.

*This is probably a testing ground for new stuff in the future, hopefully an actual tournament client even though they have denied it.

*This one can be a con too but this format is going to create a hyper pressure chamber for the meta. Even in ranked people mess around with quests, experimental decks and other oddities that the actual stats are skewered because of not everyone is try harding. This format however makes it so that people have to try hard which means that the meta will be magnified. In addition, people have to bring the deck with the best win rate, not the one that is fastest/easiest play (though Shaman has the win rate as well).If everyone brings Shaman then we might see more success of counters but on the other hand if Shaman is shown to be supremely dominant then that's just more statistics/evidence for Blizzard to do something about.

Cons:

*It's erroneously called a "Brawl" even though it has nothing to do with Brawl. If they don't give the free weekly Pack then this is an objective negative for most people especially new players. It wouldn't be an issue if this was its own thing but it replacing Brawl for the week is a mistake. The only reason why it's called a Brawl is because it will just use the Tavern Brawl tab for the week as Blizzard wasn't bothered enough to create its own separate tab/UI.

*It is NOT innovative or interesting. It is LITERALLY Arena combined with Standard Constructed. I can't take anyone seriously who thinks this is pushing the envelope, they are either so thirsty for something new that they are quick to call it that or they are shilling for Blizzard.

*This goes back to the whole Brawl thing but this event not having its own deck building rules was a huge missed opportunity. It being just an alternative Ladder for the week is very unappealing to many even seasoned players.

*Despite it trying to be like a tournament, it is very different from actual tournaments. There are no bans, multiple decks/classes, you don't play the same person multiple times (so you can't get long ranged reads), no side decking (as it is a single deck) and it's not a true Swiss style. It would've been more palatable if you were allowed to play the whole 12-15 games and then got rewards based off of that. But nah, Blizzard went the lazy route and just copy/pasted the Arena format.

*The timing of this is sketchy, right before Blizzcon and the next expansion and right as they have received a ton of backlash on the game. The pessimist in me thinks this is a ploy to get people to use excess gold so that they are more likely to spend real money on the expansion. I would've much preferred to see this Brawl right after the release of the expansion so that we could've had a new meta to play around with and then people who figure the meta quickly would've been rewarded. It's not a scam in the strictest use of the word but it feels shady.

I... couldn't agree more, you exhibited all the points I thought about this, both good and bad.

Dahbomb

Kripp's stats are super impressive given that occasionally he will do test runs and sometimes he has even done chat drafts. Plus he has WAY WAY more games than the others in the top 3.

One true Arena god!

Casual game with my Miracle Rogue against a random Priest deck.

I take Deathwing Dragonlord with Journey Below, thinking that I'd use it to bait a SW: Death. I play it, he plays Sylvanas and uses SW: Death on it to steal my Deathwing. I kill Deathwing the next turn and he drops another Dragonlord and Chromaggus. Ha.

Heropon

I'm surprised about the discover bugs being the most picked commons after the shredder. I think they're good but they aren't the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about common neutral autopick cards, so congratulations again to the design team when they made the discover mechanic.

Dahbomb

I'm surprised about the discover insects being the most picked commons after the shredder. I think they're good but they aren't the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking about common neutral autopick cards, so congratulations again to the design team when they made the discover mechanic.
Discover and Inspire cards are really strong in Arena.

Discover cards can allow you to get a Legendary that you otherwise may be able to draft. In fact you have a better chance to get a Legendary off of a Discover (like say Raven Idol) than in an Arena draft. And even average Legendaries are strong in Arena.

Fersis said:
mhmhmh i wonder if Dahbomb likes Kripp... mhmhmhm
I like him in general but lately he has been in maximum sellout mode, haven't seen his stream for more than 10 minutes in the past week or so. Still enjoy his Youtube videos though.

sibarraz

Banned

I agree with all of your points except this one.

The actual gameplay will not be interesting or innovative but the idea still is, the fact that you can compete with a constructed deck in a short ladder like tournament with big prizes is a huge push of the envelope, this will be a way to test your skills at high stakes without having the trouble of being unable to participate on tournaments for time or space reasons.

And unlike arena, you will not depend on the luck of which card you draft, that like it or not, still has some influence in arena, so even though uses the same wins system, is still different, heck even the entry fee works as a filter to crop it on competitive players or whales.

The only thing that I really think will make this mode great, is an actual ban list than ensures a healthier meta were the RNG isn't that strong, are gives a fair chance for all the classes and most archetypes to have sucess

Heropon

Discover cards can allow you to get a Legendary that you otherwise may be able to draft. In fact you have a better chance to get a Legendary off of a Discover (like say Raven Idol) than in an Arena draft. And even average Legendaries are strong in Arena.

Yeah, they can be really good but looking at how more tempo based the Arena has become I was expecting other type of cards. Then again, these two had an occurrence bonus for the first four months and the Old Gods meta slowed down things a bit, so discover and draw effects were even better.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

I like him in general but lately he has been in maximum sellout mode, haven't seen his stream for more than 10 minutes in the past week or so. Still enjoy his Youtube videos though.

Never got "into Kripp" to be honest, my streamer history goes like:
First started watchin' Trump
Then i became a F O R S E N B O Y S
Now i pretty much only watch Reynad and Kibler.

Levi

Banned
This is a terrible argument because this just opens up Blizzard to start taking away stuff that they have implemented as features in the game and then be defended for it.

Except they aren't taking away the feature, just changing the rules for a week.

And I only mention that we should be grateful for so many free packs because they originally stated it was a limited time promotion.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/19508176/brace-yourself-for-tavern-brawl-6-10-2015

Tavern Brawls will have free admission when the new mode becomes available. As part of the launch celebration, you'll earn a free card pack when you win your first game of the week in the first several brawls!

I get an hour to watch before bed and its so disappointing when I see him playing anything but Hearthstone. He's been on an Elder Scrolls: Legends kick as of late and I just can't get into it.

inky

I think a lot of us who watch Kripp came over from his Diablo/Path of Exile days. For those who didn't play or watched those games it's likely the first Hearthstone streamer they picked wasn't him.

Dahbomb

Well I started following Kripp back in the very, very early Diablo 3/PoE days when he was pretty hardcore into gaming. Then one day he started playing some HS and I was like "oh that's cool I will try it out".

I miss hardcore, edge, no chill, unfiltered Kripp. Dude used to lose a hardcore character due to random lag/disconnect/RNG, shrug it off and then start a new character instantly. Nowadays he QQs over basic coin flips and that's basically his persona these days which is a damn shame. Min max Kripp was/is the best. Hopefully he comes back in a big way for D4.

I miss hardcore, edge, no chill, unfiltered Kripp. Dude used to lose a hardcore character due to random lag/disconnect/RNG, shrug it off and then start a new character instantly. Nowadays he QQs over basic coin flips and that's basically his persona these days which is a damn shame. Min max Kripp was/is the best. Hopefully he comes back in a big way for D4.

Yeah do you remember the video he made about his setup /prep for the release of Diablo 3 ? Hardcore as fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcqutzpMZ7o

inky

D4 is going to be more casual than casualstone ;P You thought elective mode was bad? Wait till they come up with something new.

Sadly, NOLIFE Kripp is dead. But yeah, he used to be great when he had a more chill approach to games instead of whining over RNG all the time. New-Kripp wouldn't pull off Diablo HC Inferno.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Didnt knew Kripp was a Diablo streamer before Hearthstone lol
HS is pretty much the first and only non Fighting Game that i stream

Finalow

The worst part is the timing. It's such blatant bait to clean out everyone's gold stash. They must be releasing the expansion the week of Blizzcon.
it's definitely a bait.
I'm way more interested in the next expansion (no matter how many dumb-rng-heavy cards they're gonna release) than this, but I can't deny that I'd enjoy watching some streamers play in it and fail miserably. open the reynad salt-babyrage mines etc.

These rewards are very bad for the average player. The "break even" point here (where the rewards are roughly equivalent to 1000g) is about 5 wins. That means the average person who enters the heroic brawl and gets 3 wins (50% winrate) is going to lose and that gold investment would have been better spent elsewhere.

That means the incentive for the average HS player to enter is very low, which means the skill level of people entering the brawl is going to be very high, which means it will be even harder to achieve 5 wins. Blizzard was not kidding when they said this mode was not for the "faint of heart".This is for people who consistently hit legend or have gold to spare.
yes, this was one of the points I was trying to make.
although, it will probably be a good mode for people who like to be competitive but don't care about getting legend top 100 or legend at all every month because there isn't exactly any reason to do that besides getting tournament points.

Dahbomb

D4 is going to be more casual than casualstone ;P You thought elective mode was bad? Wait till they come up with something new.

Sadly, NOLIFE Kripp is dead. But yeah, he used to be great when he had a more chill approach to games instead of whining over RNG all the time. New-Kripp wouldn't pull off Diablo HC Inferno.
Elective mode is great. Without Elective mode, D3 would be way, way worse.

Unless you mean something else. Elective mode is where you can play double Generators or double Spenders on the bar (or double Aura/Defensive skills).

Didnt knew Kripp was a Diablo streamer before Hearthstone lol
HS is pretty much the first and only non Fighting Game that i stream
He was big into D2/WoW before D3 too. His popularity with the other Blizzard games got him early access and invites into HS related stuff. He cashed in on his previous work big time.

PoE no-life Kripp was the best it ever got.

It will never be the same

inky

Elective mode is great. Without Elective mode, D3 would be way, way worse.

Unless you mean something else. Elective mode is where you can play double Generators or double Spenders on the bar (or double Aura/Defensive skills).

I meant Elective Mode being a hidden option not the default, my bad.

Like, D4 might not even give you the option =S

Savjz for Constructed, Kripp for Arena.

Also Day[9] started his next run to legend last night.

I just realized I have all the cards for Midrange Shaman besides Thalnos. But I haven't actually "played" HS at all this month. I should make an attempt to at least hit 10 this month.

Dahbomb

Someone did some math for the Heroic Brawl in terms of which decks would be the best to play in it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston..._brawl_using_vs_data/?st=iufshuir&sh=6baa4cbf

TL;DR version: If stats are similar to Ladder, then play Shaman. If stats are heavily skewered towards there being Shaman/Freeze Mage in the Brawl then play Control Warrior.

Plus meta simulation if people only played the best decks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...BA/pubchart?oid=1997331500&format=interactive

Seems like what most people here thought.

Someone did some math for the Heroic Brawl in terms of which decks would be the best to play in it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hearthston..._brawl_using_vs_data/?st=iufshuir&sh=6baa4cbf

TL;DR version: If stats are similar to Ladder, then play Shaman. If stats are heavily skewered towards there being Shaman/Freeze Mage in the Brawl then play Control Warrior.

Plus meta simulation if people only played the best decks:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...BA/pubchart?oid=1997331500&format=interactive

Seems like what most people here thought.

635860955229745486-1259787963_han-solo-odds.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom