• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portugeezer

With Strifecro really hammering home the point of how good hero powering is for Shaman right now, I'm a bit surprised Frost Giant hasn't found its way into some of the greedier midrange Shaman decks, especially post nerf.

Thing From Below is just so much better and gets discounts from playing Totem Golem, Flametongue, and Mana Tide Totem, not just hero power. At worst it's over costed by 1.5 mana without playing totems (LUL), at two totems a 4 mana 5/5 taunt is already over stat'ed.

fertygo

Yeah I think TFB will get nerfed too in january, mid shammy will keep dominate so they gotta do something

At least mid shaman slow enough so you can play rogue now tho

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That's also money he has to live off of like anyone else with a job, to be fair.

He dips into that pool enough that he has crafted gold cards of basically anything he could ever want. He has more than enough money pooled into Hearthstone that 1000 gold is worth bellybutton lint to him.

The talk about shaman hero power being so strong reminds me of talk about shaman hero power being so weak before. Because of the randomness. And streamers like reynad pointed out that they'd have to really over compensate for that weakness, and they eventually did. I think the final nail in the coffin was TFB.

It still hits me that I am less afraid of 4 mana 7/7 than I am thing from below. That card just gets stronger no matter where it's at. The only time it's "weak" is when shaman has no other resources to spend mana on.

I had sapped a 4 mana 7/7 and then I was like... damn if this guy plays that thing in two turns I don't think I can deal with it. So I played emperor hoping he couldn't both deal with ET and play 7/7. Instead he plays FTT, hero powers to get spell damage enabling his spirit claws (of course, why not), removes ET and plays a 1 mana TFB.

He actually never ended up playing the 4 mana 7/7 again. So sap was basically removal. Pretty funny.

With Strifecro really hammering home the point of how good hero powering is for Shaman right now, I'm a bit surprised Frost Giant hasn't found its way into some of the greedier midrange Shaman decks, especially post nerf.

I saw it once in a control shaman list. I was playing control paladin though and those extra big guys weren't a big deal.

He dips into that pool enough that he has crafted gold cards of basically anything he could ever want. He has more than enough money pooled into Hearthstone that 1000 gold is worth bellybutton lint to him.

Well yeah, he also spent thousands of dollars more than any sane person would.

Dahbomb

Wild Brawl would've been way more interesting.

Here's why:

*People still run very unoptimized decks in Wild. There are no good lists or streamers to watch to easily net deck off of, you are generally making deck/tech choices on your own. Everyone I see runs different Secret Pally lists.

*If people claim that Midrange Shaman can be countered then Secret Paladin can be countered by a far greater degree. Way more deck types counter Secret Paladin.

*The tier 1 category has like 5 classes in it. You can bring Secret Paladin Freeze Mage (which counters most of the tier 1 decks), Tempo Mage, Zoolock, Control Priest, Midrange Shaman, Grim Patron Warrior, Hunter... all very strong options.

*Nzoth is generally not a factor in tempo vs tempo match ups, game is generally decided before that. Something like Grim Patron, Tempo Mage and Freeze Mage can end the game without many deathrattles played and before the other guy plays Nzoth. In control match ups, the control decks generally save a board clear for the Nzoth turn (Priest has Lightbomb for example) and then play their own Nzoth to finish. Nzoth is most relevant in control games and it has allowed control to be stronger in Wild.

*Wild has never had a pressure chamber to push deck optimization. There will actually be a phase of discovery and rediscovery in the Brawl and people who can adjust fast will have an edge. It's possible to farm these slower deathrattle decks with something like Pirate Warrior and you can take a lot of people by surprise.

*A lot of top players have not been practicing Wild match ups which means it's less about who is already super refined with playing a single deck and more about who can adapt the fastest.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's a human psychology thing. A lot of people will actually take less money for instant gratification. Most lottery winners take their earnings as a lump sump rather than a structured recurring payment even though there's less money in the lump sum.

Relevant: The Marshmellow Test

Of course, Reynad has a tremendous amount of donations that he uses to buy card packs en masse and therefore doesn't even have to worry about gold, so it's not like he's in any place to lecture other people about how they manage their gold.

The problem with the analogy is that you don't really get rewarded for saving gold. Why would you want to save up gold in this expansion? To spend it on the next expansion when you don't even have all the currently released cards you want yet?

If you have all the cards you need, then sure you should save up gold, but that's probably not the type of people he's talking about.

I think I'll probably try it once or twice myself, because I do like the idea of playing with everything on the line, but it does suck that the rewards are pretty bad until 9 wins, and I don't expect to get that far. It almost feels like they set the reward tiers for stream hype, since a 75% win rate when everyone is trying their hardest would be hard for most pros.

Maybe by the 5th or 10th try it's feasible, but i don't want to be left with 0 gold before the next expansion.

Damn, hotform is already rank 7 using f2p mage on asia. He plays a ton as a streamer but still pretty good show I think, that you can still do really well on a f2p account. He is still only running c'thun as his sole legendary and firelands portal is from the free prologue of karazhan... so... by my count he has 10 commons, 4 rares so his deck is ~800 dust.

patchday

I dont agree TFB should be nerfed cause that would hurt Control Shaman which does not deserve to suffer 'collateral damage'. Nerf trog or totem golem if a sacrifice is required to appease the angry masses

granted, I guess Far Sight could potentially reduce the costs of TFB in any case and many control shaman deck run that

Granted control shaman is such a rare deck probably not worth considering ;(

(I did see it use in pro tournament recently tho)

Dahbomb

Collateral damage is just a necessary evil of card nerfs.

Call of the Wild was nerfed because of Midrange Shaman but it's a card that slower or spell oriented Hunter decks utilize very well too so a nerf to CotW affects those types of decks as well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
figure I'd mess around with freeze mage. Matchmaker had my back and gave me a Warlock. It was sooo close barely won that one

replay

Holy fireball at the end.

I'm not sure whether some of the timing on your doomsayers was great or not. Turn 5 I would have been tempted to just blizzard instead of cone doomsayer.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
You should be able to disenchant nerfed cards for full dust indefinitely if it is the first time you have logged in since the nerfs happened.

manhack

Damn, hotform is already rank 7 using f2p mage on asia. He plays a ton as a streamer but still pretty good show I think, that you can still do really well on a f2p account. He is still only running c'thun as his sole legendary and firelands portal is from the free prologue of karazhan... so... by my count he has 10 commons, 4 rares so his deck is ~800 dust.

Yeah Mage was my go to when I branched out to f2p accounts on EU an Asia to get the ball rolling. So much fun removing minions with frost elemental into shatter. Double flamestrike and double polymorph evens he field against a lot of decks too.

In fact I have more fun on my f2p accounts these days pulling out wins with the shittiest of decks that I make from scratch based on what cards I get from packs.

The RNG in this game can be frustrating

Lost one game because yogg earth shocked my van clear

Lost another to a priest that got a blade of c'thun of a swash buckler he mind read

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
People say Fandral is optional in C'Thun but I always thought he was too fantastic to pass up.

Personally I liked to run a Ramp Variant that included Ragnaros and Ancient of War but it seems that never caught on with the general populace.

So damn, this game came down to 2 mistakes, 1 mistake on both side. I should have prep'd fan at the end but I ran out of time. Doing so would have guaranteed drawn malygos by the next turn and I would have won off that. But he also made the mistake of sapping my si7 agent (instead of my auctioneer), which provided me more damage. And since I had a shadowstep toxin from xaril, it was lethal.

He was also running an interesting deck. Evolved kobold (I've tried running it in malygos, it wasn't worth it at the time) and conceal. Conceal isn't too unusual to see in maly rogue but I didn't see a malygos.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/YGFdfbygZCinqSw49W7mRb

People say Fandral is optional in C'Thun but I always thought he was too fantastic to pass up.

Personally I liked to run a Ramp Variant that included Ragnaros and Ancient of War but it seems that never caught on with the general populace.

Well if you're making a budget version, you probably don't have twins or fandral to work with so you make other things work.

I think mage is easier simply because firelands portal is free, and it also has other high impact cards like polymorph and flamestrike. C'thun is just also a somewhat natural pick due to it being free.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Opened a Golden Rag Lightlord, I felt like I had to be close to whatever the pity timer is on these since I've opened so many old gods packs, now I'm done with them and just gonna save up gold.

Happy with that pull too since it seems like a staple for Pally for awhile.

Gold rag lightlord is awesome.^

-

Dragon Priest in 2016 lul... and with such a great curve. I think he filled out his mana every single turn for the first 6 turns. whelp, historian, technician, hungry dragon (from historian), azure drake, corruptor + whelp... entomb for van cleef (first time he floated 1 mana, but he was also ahead on board), then the swing turn happened and he never got board back and he couldn't kill me from 10 hp. https://hsreplay.net/replay/CbYBx5qE3ECumWcMCWicDG

scarlet

Haven't played in a while. Went from rank 23 to 17 with continuous streak. Haven't lost any game so far. My highest rank was 13th in June/July.

This kinda feeling makes me want to go buy the new adventure lol.

bjaelke

Haven't played in a while. Went from rank 23 to 17 with continuous streak. Haven't lost any game so far. My highest rank was 13th in June/July.

This kinda feeling makes me want to go buy the new adventure lol.

I'd advice you to hold on to your money and see what the expansion next month will be like.

scarlet

I'd advice you to hold on to your money and see what the expansion next month will be like.

There's a new expansion next month?

Since they nerfed charge, and I can't play my OTK anymore. I only play zoo now. Trying to play dragon pirate on casual, not feeling it.

scarlet

Bought the welcome bundle. Got Al Akir. Dusted beast and nat pagle, crafted angry rag.

Now to find out what they've changed about arena and decide to give it a try or just buy another pack.

I have 4575 gold, and I'm not touching that heroic brawl. Outside of streamers, I'm not sure a whole lot of people will. With that said, I do look forward to Reynad absolutely losing his shit while going 2-3

bjaelke

There's a new expansion next month?

Since they nerfed charge, and I can't play my OTK anymore. I only play zoo now. Trying to play dragon pirate on casual, not feeling it.
They're announcing it at Blizzcon. Might not release before early December, but it's right around the corner.
Shaman is just broken and has killed all my desire to even play Hearth anymore until we get new cards or changes.

Just play arena.

:/

Just played an amazing NZoth Rouge vs. a control Warrior.
Went tempo in the beginning. The poison frog and loot hoarders were great. Copied loot hoarders with raptors for extra draw. Then, I go for two undercity hucksters. First one gets me Wrynn. I play Wryinn, Sylvana and Carian go straight to the field one after another.
Second Undercity gets me Gorehawl. I felt poor for the guy. Amazing game.

gutshot

So is Arena the mode that takes the most "skill"? It feels like in constructed and tournament play right now, there is a lot of RNG involved in regards to matchups and draws and coin flip cards like Yogg. As a result, those most would consider the top players aren't necessarily making it far on ladder or in the official Blizzard tournaments. But if you asked who the top 5 arena players are both Kripp and Hafu would get mentioned and, sure enough, the stats back that up.

So is Arena the mode that most rewards skill? Or is it a factor of less people playing Arena overall, so the known streamers have less competition to be at or near the top?

Tacitus_

Man these chinese HS videos are hilarious. And they use Happy Tree Friends in their laugh track
BgwYkyt.png

patchday

Shaman is just broken and has killed all my desire to even play Hearth anymore until we get new cards or changes.

what is this like your first post in this thread ever (or in a very long time) and your're driveby posting a quit. okay....

Gold rag lightlord is awesome.^

-

Dragon Priest in 2016 lul... and with such a great curve. I think he filled out his mana every single turn for the first 6 turns. whelp, historian, technician, hungry dragon (from historian), azure drake, corruptor + whelp... entomb for van cleef (first time he floated 1 mana, but he was also ahead on board), then the swing turn happened and he never got board back and he couldn't kill me from 10 hp. https://hsreplay.net/replay/CbYBx5qE3ECumWcMCWicDG

So damn, this game came down to 2 mistakes, 1 mistake on both side. I should have prep'd fan at the end but I ran out of time. Doing so would have guaranteed drawn malygos by the next turn and I would have won off that. But he also made the mistake of sapping my si7 agent (instead of my auctioneer), which provided me more damage. And since I had a shadowstep toxin from xaril, it was lethal.

He was also running an interesting deck. Evolved kobold (I've tried running it in malygos, it wasn't worth it at the time) and conceal. Conceal isn't too unusual to see in maly rogue but I didn't see a malygos.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/YGFdfbygZCinqSw49W7mRb

Yeah interesting vids for sure. Was kinda curious what you were trying to mulligan for against the priest. Perhaps the usual plan?

patchday

Just played an amazing NZoth Rouge vs. a control Warrior.
Went tempo in the beginning. The poison frog and loot hoarders were great. Copied loot hoarders with raptors for extra draw. Then, I go for two undercity hucksters. First one gets me Wrynn. I play Wryinn, Sylvana and Carian go straight to the field one after another.
Second Undercity gets me Gorehawl. I felt poor for the guy. Amazing game.

post has me curious I would've watched the replay. So many people dont run HDT though.

Have a bunch of friends that never run HDT

(HDT = Hearthstone deck tracker, I gave this guy money for this wonderful tool)

Hycran

Banned
I've got more than enough gold to play tavern brawl but anyone other than the luckiest player is going 2-3 max. So of course I get the tavern brawl quest...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom