• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it worth the time to just pick a top tier and try to get to legend?

I've never really liked playing shaman
The reward difference from rank 5 to legendary is minimal, and as you climb you will find more and more mirror matches that make it more frustrating since a handful of decks stand out right now.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Just popping in for some advice on Golden Legendaries.

I just bought the $5 Welcome pack the other day. Despite playing for well over a year, only now have I started getting more aggressive in researching decks and which Legendaries to craft.

Anyways outside of the cool factor of a Golden Legendary, is there any real reason to not dust it? For the longest time I've had a golden Alexstrasza. I just got a standard one in the Welcome pack and am thinking of dusting my Golden version to create something I can use.

I still don't have...
Bloodmage Thalnos (thinking of crafting this next)
Grommash Hellscream (Starting to enjoy Warrior but am missing key Epic cards)
Ysera

Any advice?

I just bought the $5 Welcome pack the other day. Despite playing for well over a year, only now have I started getting more aggressive in researching decks and which Legendaries to craft.

Anyways outside of the cool factor of a Golden Legendary, is there any real reason to not dust it? For the longest time I've had a golden Alexstrasza. I just got a standard one in the Welcome pack and am thinking of dusting my Golden version to create something I can use.

I still don't have...
Ysera

Any advice?

I would dust your golden legendaries if you have a non-golden duplicate of it. Or it's just a bad legendary. They are cosmetic only so there is no reason to use a gold one over a non-gold one except for the shine/animation. As a f2per, I've dusted every single golden legendary (1 duplicate, 1 bad one).

Alexstrasza is a good legendary, but since you have a non-golden one, dust it.

Thalnos is a pretty good one to make. Grommash too but he is a class card so much more limited on where you can use it. Ysera is strong too, for more control oriented decks.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I still don't have...
Ysera

Any advice?

YMMV on golden cards in general. I know my friend doesn't care about them whatsoever so anything golden he gets becomes dust which he uses to make whatever. I personally like them a lot so I don't dust anything, but I've also been playing the game for over 2 which gives a headstart on that. In the case where you have a normal to replace it I feel it's fine.

If you go the route of crafting a legendary I would definitely try to prioritize neutrals. While there are really strong class legendaries there may be times where it falls out of favor.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I would dust your golden legendaries if you have a non-golden duplicate of it. Or it's just a bad legendary. They are cosmetic only so there is no reason to use a gold one over a non-gold one except for the shine/animation. As a f2per, I've dusted every single golden legendary (1 duplicate, 1 bad one).

Alexstrasza is a good legendary, but since you have a non-golden one, dust it.

Thalnos is a pretty good one to make. Grommash too but he is a class card so much more limited on where you can use it. Ysera is strong too, for more control oriented decks.

YMMV on golden cards in general. I know my friend doesn't care about them whatsoever so anything golden he gets becomes dust which he uses to make whatever. I personally like them a lot so I don't dust anything, but I've also been playing the game for over 2 which gives a headstart on that. In the case where you have a normal to replace it I feel it's fine.

If you go the route of crafting a legendary I would definitely try to prioritize neutrals. While there are really strong class legendaries there may be times where it falls out of favor.

Thanks for the advice. My only fear is that they'll nerf the card and I'll kick myself for not being able to get 3200 dust.

I've been crafting neutral Legendaries, but only via the long slog of saving dust, which takes forever as a ftp guy. After grabbing that Welcome pack I've decided to start dusting Legendaries I had no use for as well as regular golden cards.

This weekend I've managed to create Cairne Bloodhoof, Justicar Trueheart, and N'Zoth. I also received a Golden Gruul. but I'm on the fence with him as I always thought he was a cool card. Even if he's not very useful.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
is it worth the time to just pick a top tier and try to get to legend?

I've never really liked playing shaman

There's no compelling reason to get to legend other than rank points for Blizzcon or a crappy cardback.

Thanks for the advice. My only fear is that they'll nerf the card and I'll kick myself for not being able to get 3200 dust.

I've been crafting neutral Legendaries, but only via the long slog of saving dust, which takes forever as a ftp guy. After grabbing that Welcome pack I've decided to start dusting Legendaries I had no use for as well as regular golden cards.

This weekend I've managed to create Cairne Bloodhoof, Justicar Trueheart, and N'Zoth. I also received a Golden Gruul. but I'm on the fence with him as I always thought he was a cool card. Even if he's not very useful.

Guess it just depends on how long you're willing to wait.

Many people believe that Alex will eventually be nerfed.

Gruul is a card I would dust even if it were a non-golden, and instantly if it were golden. It's a good idea to generally not dust cards until you're ready to use the dust. But Gruul is a a safe bet that will never be a good card I think.

I think there is a chance that alexstrasza gets nerfed, but at this point I really doubt it will be.

Dahbomb

Alex will only get nerfed if Freeze Mage is ubiquitous and is a tier 1 deck for a considerable amount of times. Right now it's not in that state so there's no pressure on Blizzard to nerf. But there might be a time in the future where FM is oppressive enough for them to take action on it.

And it might not even be FM, it's possible that some other deck can exploit it as well. But it's the combination of Ice Block and Alexstrasza that makes Freeze Mage able to do what it does because other classes might die when Alex comes down.

fertygo

Alex gonna be nerfed in january, bookmark this post
its only hopeful thinking because I had 2 alex

But I believe Alex gonna nerfed eventually, they already mention it a couple of time.

Dahbomb

One thing I have noticed is that Blizzard is greatly limited on the types of cards they can print going forward with the basic mechanics they printed in Classic.

Charge - You don't have to be an expert player to know that Blizzard has been nerfing and or holding back on charge mechanics greatly as of late. There hasn't been a good charge minion printed since Argent Horserider in TGT. I expect Charge to be underutilized in the future as well or it starts coming with the tag (Can't attack enemy heroes).

Stealth - They still print Stealth cards occasionally but nothing too absurd. They already nerfed one of the Stealth cards and I bet Blizzard still has fits over Miracoli Rogue playstyle. The Stranglethorn + Warden combo is probably going to make them more cautious as well, at the very least they will not be printing a 4 mana Stealth Beast anytime soon. Just like Charge it's another hard to interact with mechanic.

Spell Damage - Anytime they print a usable Spell damage minion it gets used. Right now we have a huge use of Spell damage minions but there really aren't many great spell damage minions. They have had to nerf spell damage minions in the past (like Dalaran Mage). Feels like they are always cautious about printing decent stats on a Spell damage minion, only that Cult Sorcerer got away with it and every Tempo Mage uses it. Not to mention Evolved Kobold shenanigans which is still a bad card (in 90% of situations, if you have had used Cult Sorcerer instead in the slot it would've been the same or better).

Deathrattle - They have already scaled back on it immensely and only Hunter seems to get decent Deathrattle minions. Especially with Nzoth in Standard, they can't really make aggressive/efficient deathrattle minions anymore. It's pretty clear they learned their mistake from Naxx/GvG and you only need to take a glance at Wild to realize how Deathrattle minions can get out of hand.

Discover - People used to love Discover but now they are starting to have their fill with it. With enough Discovers in the game, it makes it harder to read and counter the opponent. I think Blizzard will still put in Discover cards but with narrower ranges (like the Dragon Discover card which is generally acceptable).

Of course no more Inspire minions so RIP that mechanic.

This is why it's kinda imperative that Blizzard starts putting in more new mechanics and keywords into the game. These get the hype going and they are tougher to evaluate at the beginning so people are more encouraged to try them out.

Szadek

Alex will only get nerfed if Freeze Mage is ubiquitous and is a tier 1 deck for a considerable amount of times. Right now it's not in that state so there's no pressure on Blizzard to nerf. But there might be a time in the future where FM is oppressive enough for them to take action on it.

And it might not even be FM, it's possible that some other deck can exploit it as well. But it's the combination of Ice Block and Alexstrasza that makes Freeze Mage able to do what it does because other classes might die when Alex comes down.
Freeze Mage gets eaisly hard countered by control warrior, so they really either need to nerf warriors into the grouds or give FM an insane amount of support before that will ever happen.

Violet_0

Banned
as a returning player, what's the best investment for my gold right now? I basically got most of the cards from the starter set and that's pretty much it

also, can you get the alternate hero characters with gold or do you have to pay for them with real money?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'd keep golden Alex unless you have a normal one too. The card is very viable, and does have a decent chance to eventually be nerfed. Alex has a decent change to eventually break wild with OTKOs decks in the future, and Blizzard cares a smidge about the mode.

Also in response to dashbomb, I think discover will keep getting printed, but its going to cost more. IMO its an effect worth 2 mana, and nearly are discover cards are undercosted. The exact cost depends on the card type that is Discovered though. Jeweled Scarab has a pretty mediocre discover pool, so it no longer gets run, but Netherspire has one of the best so most dragon decks run it.

Dahbomb

Well Jeweled Scarab also has the Beast tag (relevant for Curator) and doesn't need an activator to trigger its effect. For classes like Shaman with a lot of strong 3 cost options, it's pretty good overall. Quite a few Reno decks run it too. It's a balanced card though because there isn't a massive spread in 3 cost cards, you still have to pay for them unlike summoning a random minion from a portal that you don't have to pay for.

The strength of Netherspite Historian is that it subs for a big dragon but can be played a lot earlier.

And rank 5 for the month accomplished.

Turns out ramp Druid with Arcane Giants is pretty insane. Who would have guessed dropping 8/8's for 0 mana would be incredibly strong.

ZealousD

Also in response to dashbomb, I think discover will keep getting printed, but its going to cost more. IMO its an effect worth 2 mana, and nearly are discover cards are undercosted. The exact cost depends on the card type that is Discovered though. Jeweled Scarab has a pretty mediocre discover pool, so it no longer gets run, but Netherspire has one of the best so most dragon decks run it.

It's not quite as powerful as 2 mana. It's just slightly better than drawing a card. If the effect were truly as good as 2 mana, every single mage would run Ethereal Conjurer.

sibarraz

Banned
Inspire is my favorite mechanic, I'm sad that it never caught on, not even on the release of tgt.

At least I used this ability a lot in arena

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Inspire is my favorite mechanic, I'm sad that it never caught on, not even on the release of tgt.

At least I used this ability a lot in arena

Honestly, I'm not sure if Inspire snowballing out of control sounds that fun if it became a big thing.

But it is a shame that hearthstone mechanics kinda enforces you to think of every card as not able to last to the second turn, making inspire cards being more of an optional 2 extra mana cost to do something once card.

It's far from the being the worst problem hearthstone has, but I do wish single minion removal was a little more difficult while AoE removal was a little easier, to make cards like Inspire be more balanced.

Dahbomb

Hero power is too much of a tempo loss and most Inspire minions require at least two turns to be worthwhile.

Simple example is something like Nexus Champion Saraad. A hero power is worth roughly half a mana (usually it's closer to 0) and Nexus itself has 4 mana worth of stats. The random spell draw is worth 1 mana, maybe slightly more. Adding all of that up, we are looking at 5.5-6 mana at the best for 7 mana. That's considerably understatted especially compared to something like Azure Drake.

The second time around you get closer to the expected value of the card but because you have to use the hero power again, the value is a bit lessened.

Inspire minions really shine with combos and other Inspire minions. Nexus Champion by itself isn't that good but if you have a Murloc Knight in play then play Nexus then suddenly your hero is generating a lot of value. Though if you are in a situation where you have two Inspire minions on board and you hero power.. you have usually won the game. Too bad Blizzard completely stopped putting out hero power synergy cards.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Inspire is a neat idea on paper but it's clear that it can be too snowbally looking at the minions. Just look at Shaman and how deflating it is when you have to let Thunderbluff survive a turn.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Pirate Warrior got me to Rank 13 no problem, then it hit a wall. I guess I shouldn't be suprised, it isn't that great of a deck. Oh well, got a bunch of quests done.

The deck just falls apart in the face of significant healing or taunts. The only archetype it reliably beat was Freeze mage.

This was the deck I was playing (v1 and v2), played it though about 35 games.

9JhoFhE.png
nxX1DSo.png

Xanathus

Just threw together an Enrage Warrior deck to clear the Enrage quest and went 4-0 with it (though on Wild casual). Had to play Wild because Warbot is GvG. One game I had the worst possible opening hands with zero playable cards until turn 4 even though my deck is doesn't have a single deck above 5 mana, but won because I was armor passing every turn and my opponent was Freeze Mage and conceded because he thought I was playing Control lol. Another game I won on turn 4 because Raging Worgen + Inner Rage + Inner Rage + Rampage + Rampage = 28 damage.

Danj

Today I made the mistake of adding someone when they sent me a friend request after a game. The message I got was along the lines of this:

f***ing g** deck c**t

Now I grant that I was running a deck I named "Murloc Bullshit" with basically every Murloc card I own in it so I could do the new Murlocalypse quest, but there's no call for that sort of thing. Unfortunately Hearthstone doesn't have a report function like Overwatch does so I just removed the guy straight away.

Asbel

It's not quite as powerful as 2 mana. It's just slightly better than drawing a card. If the effect were truly as good as 2 mana, every single mage would run Ethereal Conjurer.
I did not think that discover was better than drawing from your own deck?

My ladder experience right now.

Shaman,Shaman,Shaman,Huntard,Warrior,Warrior,Shaman,Huntard,Shaman,Warrior,Huntard. Fantastic game Blizzard and so balanced.

sibarraz

Banned
Isn't it only worthwhile if you can get it out in the very beginning of the game? I don't see how it's good drawing it mid to late game.

Since you have 3 secure enablers, plus the gatcha that is the shaman hero power, a 3/3 weapon at 1 mana is super good on mid or late, you can remove lots of minions with it, or go face and push for lethal

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.hearthstonetopdecks.com/decks/savjzs-nzoth-shaman-october-2016-season-31/

This deck caught my attention, don't know if is very effective though

No Earth Elemental? No Doomsayer? No Thing From Below!?

How is this deck supposed to win against midrange shaman? Just hope you draw all your AoE and heals?

It does seem good against Warrior and Mage i guess, but I feel like if you're going to make a control shaman, might as well take advantage of the fact that it's one of the few archetypes that can be made good against midrange shaman.

ZealousD

I did not think that discover was better than drawing from your own deck?

Discover is better than drawing from your own deck. The best card out of three random choices is usually better than a card you put in your deck, because with discover you can pick for the matchup or the specific situation. Even a "bad" card can be really good in certain situations or matchups. Plus, discover adds a card to your deck which helps a lot in fatigue situations.

I wonder if Rogue could be great again if they just decided to buff a few classic cards. If they're supposed to be "combo" decks (not referring to combo finishers specifically), then rogue should get some more card draw options and buff existing. Thistle tea could easily be 5 mana. Sprint could be 6 mana. Shiv could be 1 mana (probably controversial, but power word shield is 1 mana and is roughly the same strength).

Most of these are of course suggestions I would have never made in a pre-nerf blade flurry world. I know the chances they do something like this are about zero, I am just floating some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom