• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it I only ever run into massive tryhard decks in casual while trying to do my quests.

Like, trying to play 30 murlocs and I'm up against a golden Zoolock. Really? You get 500 ranked wins on Warlock so you can play Zoo in casual?

patchday

oh noes bbgungun lost.

Man never paid attention to Amnesiasc before but I'm thinking he's been looking really sharp. This is going to be a good matchup

manhack

How is it I only ever run into massive tryhard decks in casual while trying to do my quests.

Like, trying to play 30 murlocs and I'm up against a golden Zoolock. Really? You get 500 ranked wins on Warlock so you can play Zoo in casual?

Casual has felt this way for a long time for me. I avoid it outside of crazy deck testing.

The upside of netdecks in casual is that you can get a feel for how a new deck might play out in ranked.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I am starting to believe that time of day makes a BIG difference in the laddering experience. If you play (in NA at least) outside of Prime times (5pm-8pm) for East and West Coasts, you face a lot more variation in decks than during the prime times.

When I play on my lunch break at work, it consistently find it easier to finish my quests for that day than when I log on at home and play the same decks. Really feels like the competition steps up around the prime times on each coast. Something to consider for those trying to gain every possible advantage on their way to legend. Dunno how true this is above 5, but it seems to hold pretty true from 15->5.

EUA

I'm actually enjoying this as a viewer, this rng bullshit and imbalanced cards being played are fun to watch. I think this is part of the reason Hearthstone is so popular on twitch.

But I can't imagine dealing with all of that as a player, especially when there is a lot at stake.

I can't comprehend how stressful it is knowing that you could lose everything just because of a bad roll of dice.

Why is Yogg not banned from the tournament?

patchday

^ Are you seriously asking that question? Did you not see what happened to Chetsou (or whatever his name was) that lost the game due to his own Yogg (which in turn almost allowed bbgungun to upswing to tie the series)... I love how some people glance all over that and still ask that question

EUA

^ Are you seriously asking that question? Did you not see what happened to Chetsou (or whatever his name was) that lost the game due to his own Yogg (which in turn almost allowed bbgungun to upswing to tie the series)... I love how some people glance all over that and still ask that question

yes so the card with crazy rng swings totally belongs in a serious competition with gigantic awards.

the fact that it could potentially decide a game based on pure luck or misfortune should have been reason enough to ban this shit.

yes so the card with crazy rng swings totally belongs in a serious competition with gigantic awards.

the fact that it could potentially decide a game based on pure luck or misfortune should have been reason enough to ban this shit.

It's very hyperbolic to call it pure luck when yogg is a 10 mana card.

EUA

It's very hyperbolic to call it pure luck when yogg is a 10 mana card.

when you play it you rely solely on luck. sometimes that wins you games, sometimes you lose because of it.

you might wanna argue that it's up to every player to take the risks and so on, but blizzard has been consistently using these tactics and banning different cards or nerfing them in various modes, so I'm really convinced that a life-changing competition would only benefit if a card that is pure rng was removed.

when you play it you rely solely on luck. sometimes that wins you games, sometimes you lose because of it.

you might wanna argue that it's up to every player to take the risks and so on, but blizzard has been consistently using these tactics and banning different cards or nerfing them in various modes, so I'm really convinced that a life-changing competition would only benefit if a card that is pure rng was removed.

My point is that you can't even play it until 10 mana. How could the game be decided by pure luck when there are often 10+ turns that lead up to that situation in the game, before yogg could do anything at all.

Also, Blizzard hasn't resorted to banning any cards yet. It is unlikely that they ever will too, using nerfs where appropriate. They already nerfed yogg. Yes, it's still RNG based but the edge cases have been severely cut down.

EUA

all I will say is that's fucking irresponsible to offer players to compete for a prize and then leave the possibility for the tournament to be decided by luck.

but whatever.

I think yogg saron is much more likely to either maintain the game state than flip it now. It would be interesting to see an in depth look at the card's impact. But it seems like very often you're ahead when you play yogg and you stay ahead or you're behind and you play yogg and you stay behind. Sure, there are still outliers, but I think the extreme results happen so much less often it's akin to getting the perfect card draw 4-5 turns in a row. And luck in card games just won't ever be truly extinguished. I'm not saying I am all on board with how yogg plays in the game, just a lot more accepting of it now.

wiibomb

I think yogg saron is much more likely to either maintain the game state than flip it now. It would be interesting to see an in depth look at the card's impact. But it seems like very often you're ahead when you play yogg and you stay ahead or you're behind and you play yogg and you stay behind. Sure, there are still outliers, but I think the extreme results happen so much less often it's akin to getting the perfect card draw 4-5 turns in a row. And luck in card games just won't ever be truly extinguished. I'm not saying I am all on board with how yogg plays in the game, just a lot more accepting of it now.

and there is always the risk on winging too much to either side..

just look at those Che0nsu Druids.. the yoggs lost his game

I don't know if there will be much more of yogg for next tournaments

manhack

all I will say is that's fucking irresponsible to offer players to compete for a prize and then leave the possibility for the tournament to be decided by luck.

but whatever.

Hearthstone is not a game of pure skill though and never will be. Even with no RNG cards, so many of the games are decided by who starts first and card draws.

I agree toning down the range of RNG is important, but RNG is as much a part of this game as any card game.

Shadowverse is out on PC. I am trying their draft mode for the first time. It's called take two. Instead of picking 1 of three cards. It gives you two options but both options are a pair of cards. This is actually the kind of stuff I would like Hearthstone to do on a changing basis.

It also goes to only 5 wins, meaning you can draft more decks in a shorter period of time. That's pretty neat too.

fertygo

At this point there's no going back IMO, Hearthstone without LOL RNG is not Hearthstone. I just accept for what it is

Totem roll RNG is pretty fucking shitty tho, its not even youtube clip worth like Barnes or Yogg.. god why Spirit claw need to be a thing

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Made a Wild Reno Battle Cry C'thun deck for some quests.

I fucked up in three ways. I put Mysterious Challenger in with no Secrets, I put N'zoth instead of C'thun, and I forgot Reno.

Otnopolit

Hearthstone is a card game, you can't have a card game without RNG. There is a lot, but like others here have said, it's fun and you can still be rewarded for skillful playing.

I just had a match where Yogg healed me, gave me 4 armor, buffed itself, gave itself divine shield, gave me 4 card draws, and cleared the other players board. I was one turn away from losing.

Just completed my first shadowverse arena (take two) run, 4/5 wins. Apparently you just play 5 games and your rewards are based off those results. I got 1 standard pack, 120 rupies (basically 1:1 with gold in hearthstone), and 20 vial (dust, but the ratios are different here I think). Take two runs take 150 rupies, so in hearthstone terms, I was only 10~ off from doubling my admission price which means infinite (heh, sorta). This arena run was free (they give you take two tickets, I still have 4 more). Apparently 5 wins gets you a big jump though... so damn that 1 loss.

Salex_

I completely forgot about the Shadowverse port. Just downloaded it and the port seems surprising good. The 2-3 hours I played on mobile was fun, but I found it annoying to play on a 5.7 inch screen. Looking forward to learning more about the game this weekend.

HS Expansion announcement next week!

What are the expectations like? n-n-...new mechanics? More tribe synergy? Great, versatile class cards for Priest, Paladin, Rogue, and Warwick? Shaman buffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom