• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how the dev team can look at the data and not make some fucking changes already. Their Overwatch colleagues need to mosey on over and smack some damn sense into them.

I don't understand how the dev team can look at the data and not make some fucking changes already. Their Overwatch colleagues need to mosey on over and smack some damn sense into them.

What data and what change?

edit:
I am just trying to wrap my head around what you are complaining about because you make it seem like it's really obvious when it frankly isn't.

Levi

Banned
It's not an algorithm. It's randomness

That explains why 3 of 5 games I faced this morning were warrior, sure, but how is it that I see 70% Hunters for 5 days, when during the same period the vicious syndicate report show that only 11% of the players at my rank are paying Hunter?!? That's insane variance if match-ups are truly random.

I go on other servers, and I'm not facing the same exact class 70% of the time, but my real account, the one I try to rank up with, I *never* get the meta everyone else is seeing.

fertygo

I feel sad Deck that as bad and boring like Dragon Warrior can be #1 just because the way meta shaping

past best deck is really laughing the fact dragon warrior can be the best if they can emote

well its not like I can play since the patch

Pooya

when are we getting priest/rogue heroes? they were leaked so long ago but then here comes a wild murloc instead for freaking shaman, they really hate those classes.

I just got a jaraxxus off undercity huckster... but won before I could find a spot to make use of him. I had the choice of either anubarak turn 9 or jaraxxus turn 9. I went with anubarak. He faceless'd it but I sapped it. I won.

This deck is meant to be a n'zoth/yogg mashup, but I've literally never played yoggsauron.

This is my latest insane creation. Also, here is the rogue one

atwISj9.png
i3B15KR.png

1 win already with my 2 gods paladin deck. Aggro shaman too. Couldn't handle tuskar heals lol.

what's funny was I would play dragon warrior pre WotoG and it wasnt all that great.

Yeah, cause the power curve there is much higher. In fact the post-OG dragon warrior makes a lot of sense when you consider the fact that warrior was one of the best classes in classic and that one of the best classic counters to warrior was druid (ancient of lore, let alone combo).

inky

what's funny was I would play dragon warrior pre WotoG and it wasnt all that great.

I played one too, but I guess my version was slower and focused more on big minion control (which was countered by BGH anyway). Faster decks has changed the dynamic.

manhack

Strifecro trying out Yogg Priest. I tried it myself at the start of the season. It is a fun as hell deck to play from ranks 20-15 or so. After that not so much.

He seems to be doing well with it.

manhack

Well we know for sure that matchmaking is not completely random.

Typically you get somebody the exact same rank or you get somebody in the next rank if you are about to rank up.

I hit Rank 6 recently and I'm seeing people everywhere from rank 8 to rank 4.

So obviously it is making decisions before giving you opponent. What would be amazing is if it is matching you up with harder opponents or easier opponents based on your current winrate or ever crazier if it knows what deck you are running and gives you a better or worse deck match up.

It is reasonable to assume that Blizzard has better stats than the vS Reaper report and even know what cards have the best winrates. If they also define decks in the same way that something like track-o-bot does (designates a deck archetype automatically based on what cards are played during the match) then it is possible they can give you favorable or unfavorable match ups rather easily.

All that said here is the quote from the PC Gamer interview:

PCG: Have you heard Reynad’s conspiracy theory about match-making? He suspects that if you are on a high win rate with a particular archetype, say Freeze Mage, eventually the matchmaking algorithm will say, enough is enough, now you’re going to play against three Control Warriors in a row, because it’s trying to bring you back to something close to a 50% winrate.

Ben Brode: [Laughs] That is absolutely not true. Absolutely not true. In Ranked mode, we use only one piece of information to matchmake you, and that is your rank. We pair you with the person with the closest rank we can find in the amount of time we have, and that’s it.

Dahbomb

I don't believe in a lot of conspiracy theories in general.

But the "game pairs you up against your worst match up" conspiracy is something that has happened to me a lot in the past.

Not a lot recently because quite frankly they are very few terrible match ups like they were before (among the top decks).

The two good things I can say about Standard is that top decks don't have gross match ups and that Warrior has multiple archetypes that are quite playable. If every class was like Warrior then this would be a much better game. I am sure that is the goal that Blizzard would like to achieve as well.

KuroNeeko

Strifecro trying out Yogg Priest. I tried it myself at the start of the season. It is a fun as hell deck to play from ranks 20-15 or so. After that not so much.

He seems to be doing well with it.

The problem is that Strifecro is a professional player who spends about as much time playing as I do at work. They can pilot pretty much anything and take it to rank 5-ish.

Look at Zetalot, one of the best Priest players in the world. He's been stuck at rank 5-7 for a while now.

Thinking of taking a break from the game until the next adventure comes out. The "game" is more stress now than enjoyment.

Maybe I'll just switch games to Shadowverse instead.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Great video, but I think the title could be a a bit more accurate and less incendiary.

lol it's all in good fun. It's actually more of a reference to this video which is still one of my favorite Hearthstone videos ever.

"Dr. Boom? He's no Troggzor. Should have been a 6/7."

lol it's all in good fun. It's actually more of a reference to this video which is still one of my favorite Hearthstone videos ever.

"Dr. Boom? He's no Troggzor. Should have been a 6/7."
I watched your video; I think On the Hunt didn't belong in there, though.

I'm watching the GvG video, and Enhance-o Mechano doesn't belong in that video, either.

They weren't really wrong about Nzoth either.
Huh?

I think kripp is always wrong with terrible reasoning. And everyone else was somewhat reasonable, sometimes wrong, sometimes wrong so far, and sometimes right. They do need to avoid making such extreme responses though. They tend to be either great or... never see competitive play.

And yeah, n'zoth... lol. That deck was so popular for like maybe a week or two and I have rarely seen it since.

ZealousD

They weren't really wrong about Nzoth either.

N'Zoth Paladin and N'Zoth Priest may be weak in the current standard meta, but that's not because N'Zoth himself is weak or that the game is lacking Sludge Belcher type Deathrattles. They're just lacking the other types of tools to get the point where he can be played.

And Reynad was absolutely wrong, because he was basically saying that N'Zoth wouldn't be played in Wild either. And N'Zoth Priest is a Tier 1 deck there.

ZealousD

I watched your video; I think On the Hunt didn't belong in there, though.

On the Hunt is a staple in Yogg Hunter. It absolutely isn't trash with Lock-and-Load. It isn't shown in the video but Amaz rated it two stars, and he only gave it two stars instead of one star because of a possible Malygos OTK (which I have never seen). He was way, way too hard on the card.

On the Hunt is a staple in Yogg Hunter. It absolutely isn't trash with Lock-and-Load. It isn't shown in the video but Amaz rated it two stars, and he only gave it two stars instead of one star because of a possible Malygos OTK (which I have never seen). He was way, way too hard on the card.

I admit I haven't played Standard in a month, but is Yogg Hunter really...a thing? Like beyond the low ranks where you see all kinds of weird stuff?

I haven't heard of it seeing tournament play, either.

ZealousD

I admit I haven't played Standard in a month, but is Yogg Hunter really...a thing? Like beyond the low ranks where you see all kinds of weird stuff?

I haven't heard of it seeing tournament play, either.

A card doesn't have to be in a top tier deck in order to not be garbage-tier awful. Yogg Hunter is the second most popular hunter deck.

Like, if somebody told you that Ice Block is a garbage tier card because Freeze Mage is dumpster tier in the current meta, would you go "oh that that's totally true"? No, you wouldn't. Ice Block is a great card and it's not horrible just because the deck is struggling.

A card doesn't have to be in a top tier deck in order to not be garbage-tier awful. Yogg Hunter is the second most popular hunter deck.

Like, if somebody told you that Ice Block is a garbage tier card because Freeze Mage is dumpster tier in the current meta, would you go "oh that that's totally true"? No, you wouldn't. Ice Block is a great card and it's not horrible just because the deck is struggling.

You do it for cho'gal often enough :p

Dahbomb

You do it for cho'gal often enough :p
Chogall is bad no matter what. It doesn't get played in Renolock/Handlock because it's a bad card and that's the most likely place to put that card in.

As someone who specifically crafted Chogall to test it out in Handlock and Renolock decks over 100 games... I can tell you that card is trash.

Warlock would have to get an insane amount of really good high cost cards for anyone to even consider running Chogall. Based on the way they have been releasing cards with very low spell counts (and Warlocks usually getting bad spells like Spreading Madness and Doom), before Chogall becomes even playable it will get rotated out of Standard anyway. In Wild you would not play this over Dr Boom anyway.

The balls on the people who compared this to Dr Boom...

Nothing in here really disagrees with my claim: Yogg Hunter isn't seeing play. The card is not seeing play. That's not worth putting someone on blast for.

man I pissed off still can't play the game

wtf blizz
Time to start fiddling and/or working with customer service man. You're in a small minority on this one.

ZealousD

He took the L on Fandral.
He was kinda "eh" on taking the L for Forbidden Healing. Wasn't going to argue.
Didn't agree with me putting him on blast for N'Zoth.

Then he talks about how videos like that aren't fair or something, but admits he might be a bit biased since it's criticism of him.

manhack

He took the L on Fandral.
He was kinda "eh" on taking the L for Forbidden Healing. Wasn't going to argue.
Didn't agree with me putting him on blast for N'Zoth.

Then he talks about how videos like that aren't fair or something, but admits he might be a bit biased since it's criticism of him.

I've heard several of the streamers mention they have issues with these type of videos because they cherry pick all the bad predictions and those are the ones that get the most attention. Could be interesting to do "What the pros got right" video to counter that sentiment, but I think the video is all in good fun either way.

Levi

Banned
Finally ran into someone playing that weird N'Zoth Shaman control deck. I was thankfully playing C'thun Warrior, and my build of CW does NOT lose to control decks. Guy was bad, which is fine, since it's probably not a deck he has a lot of practice with, but he got cocky late game when he was still at 30 health and used a healing wave on a minion to get a favorable trade.

I tried and tried and tried to get him to use his second Hex, but he wasn't biting. So I had to hold Emperor until I had C'thun and Doomcaller in hand, as both needed ticks (I managed to get two, which ended up being relevant). He had two somewhat damaged big minions on board (Baine Bloodhoof, Flamewreathed Faceless) and a totem, and I dropped my 8 mana C'thun (which was at 16) and just barely cleared his board while doing a little bit of face damage. Since he hadn't played Hex yet, I then shield slammed my own C'thun, killing it.

Why did I do that? His next turn was Sylvanas, Totem, Pass, and C'Thun couldn't be Hexed or stolen, which would have made my Doomcaller irrelevant. My next turn was Bran Bronzebeard, Doomcaller, and Disciple of C'thun on his Totem. This buffed my C'thun to 22 and put two additional copies into my deck.

He attacked into my Doomcaller with Sylvanas, stole my disciple (thank you two ticks of Emperor) and played N'Zoth, bringing back Chillmaw and one Cairne. (He wasted his Reincarnates on Earth Elementals which hurt his N'Zoth turn. One of the win conditions of NZoth Shaman is to use your Reincarnates on Cairne so at the end of the game you can bring back multiple Cairnes).

I then drew C'thun (the only two cards left to draw in my deck were C'thun, so not a surprising topdeck) and since Brann was still on my side of the board his 22 power battly cry was doubled. My C'thun cleared his board (except Baine) and did enough face damage to kill him.

I won that game because I shield slammed my own C'thun. There isn't a better "alpha" turn in the game than to play C'thun and then immediately kill it, and in match ups where you haven't baited out Sylvanas or Entomb or Hex or the like, it's also the correct play.

ZealousD

I've heard several of the streamers mention they have issues with these type of videos because they cherry pick all the bad predictions and those are the ones that get the most attention. Could be interesting to do "What the pros got right" video to counter that sentiment, but I think the video is all in good fun either way.

"Hearthstone Pros Were Correct About Old Gods Cards" sounds like a 10 hour video. Most predictions are in the wheelhouse of correctness and getting them wrong is outside the norm.

Honestly it's fairly rare whenever a card prediction is uniquely correct in a way that seems scarily insightful in retrospect. I think that happened only once when Dahbomb and I did our re-review, and that's when Reynad said that Mark of Y'Shaarj was good but that Beast Druid might be the third best Druid deck. That is a very good prediction, but it's the rare kind of prediction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom