• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

I would probably play Kazakus in Reno Warlock.

Possible access to extra heals and board clears. At 4 mana 3/3, it's not a massive tempo loss.

I still don't understand how the tri-class thing works. Are there just neutral cards that are tri class restricted? If so that's a bit more boring than anticipated. Though it does allow them more design space to make more interesting/powerful neutrals. No more worrying about making a neutral Dreadsteed for example.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Piranha Launcher and Lotus Assassin sound like fun arena cards at least.

gutshot

I wonder if you run Medivh in a Kazakus deck? 10 mana to clear the board, draw cards and summon a Deathwing? Sounds pretty good.

inky

Anyone got stats on the Hunter weapon?

The Priest card is really dumb. Like they didn't even really try. Please tell me that card isn't a common.

Of course it's a common. This is Blizzard we are talking about. Conversation probably went like this:

- Shit guys, Arena players are pissed. Priest is awful.
- Is it?
- I dunno, but what do we do?
- Hmm, let's give them a new card. What was that old Priest card people liked? Dar-Dark Cultist?
- Right, just do that again, but a bit better.
- Priest is saved! Now, let me show you this neat Mage Common Spell I'm working on...

Dramatization, may not have happened.

Par Score

Disagree on the Hunter weapon.

Slow, sure, but having a dependable, repeatable, 0 mana cost way of generating beasts is very relevant to Hunter.

Kazakus looks awesome. Auto-include in any Reno decks I'd say, and definitely interesting enough to have decks built around him.

rickyson1

bit disappointed so far

was hoping for a new keyword,the triclass thing doesn't really sound that interesting but we'll see I guess

FeD.nL

Of course it's a common. This is Blizzard we are talking about. Conversation probably went like this:

Shit guys, Arena players are pissed. Priest is awful.
Is it?
I dunno, but what do we do?
Hmm, let's give them a new card. What was that old Priest card people liked? Dar-Dark Cultist?
Right, just do that again, but a bit better.
Priest is saved!

Dramatization, may not have happened.

Nah, that's exactly how this went.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Lotus Assassin - He's like a slower, weaker Giant Sand Worm. Unplayable.

It's strictly better than Stranglethorn Tiger. It start off as a 5 mana 5/5 Stealth. That's not really the current gameplan for Rogue but it's strong as hell in arena. It's an epic, though...

Szadek

Too slow for Hunters/10.

That's pretty much how you evaluate Hunter cards.

Priest card is a common. Of course it's a common. Well hopefully there's extensive Arena rebalances on the way.
I don't think the weapon would be good in any class to be honest.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I would probably play Kazakus in Reno Warlock.

Possible access to extra heals and board clears. At 4 mana 3/3, it's not a massive tempo loss.

I still don't understand how the tri-class thing works. Are there just neutral cards that are tri class restricted? If so that's a bit more boring than anticipated. Though it does allow them more design space to make more interesting/powerful neutrals. No more worrying about making a neutral Dreadsteed for example.

Yeah, they are neutrals that only certain classes can pick. I'm assuming there are cards that interact with the factions also.

The multi-class and faction things both seem like two separate mechanics, that are being rolled out at the same time. In future expansions I'd expect there to be Multi-class neutrals without a faction, and factions without the class restrictions.

My initial impressions.

Lotus Assassin - It's decent, probably a better Stranglethorn Tiger. Just don't know how much it really fits into Rogue's gameplan.

Piranha Launcher - Too expensive for the stats. Can't imagine it ever seeing play unless there's something we don't know about the Piranha.

Kabal Talonpriest - The countdown to the whining about Priest being the new "cancer" begins.

I Know a Guy - Could be really interesting. The versatility is really key. You could pick something like Fierce Monkey and Bloodhoof Brave against faster decks or Bog Creeper and Soggoth against slower decks. I think it has potential.

Kabal Courier - Tough to evaluate. I bet a Reno deck would really like it though. A shame that Rogue can't access it lol.

Kazakus - Seems really insane, just for the versatility alone. Being confined to Reno style decks will limit its impact though.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I actually think Lotus Assassin could be good in constructed too. I'm not sure where it fits yet, but it seems like a card as solid as that should find a place somewhere.

I think Stealth is a little underrated.

Dahbomb

Mathematically speaking the Hunter weapon is ok to decent value.

2/4 weapon is around 2.5 mana worth of value. 4 1/1s are worth around 3 mana especially if they are beast. So that's a bit over 5 mana value in the long term.

When you think about it... this card is like Muster for Beasts but the 1/1s come out in a delayed fashion as opposed to all at once. That means that it's sacrificing tempo for value.

Initial impression is that it's a bit too slow for Hunter. Kinda like Ball of Spiders but this has more initiative at the very least.

georly

Two card combo, I dunno. Starts making more sense in Reno decks for sure though.

not two cards on the same turn though. That's a free 5-10 mana spell as soon as you get cho-gall if you played kazakus before. Turn 4 kazakus, turn 7 chogall and kazakus spell. health not a huge issue since you're probably running reno too

Warlocks will need a few more good spells before they start playing chogall.

Yeah, this is a chogall buff, doesn't mean chogall is playable yet, but this is a step in the right direction.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
not two cards on the same turn though. That's a free 5-10 mana spell as soon as you get cho-gall if you played kazakus before. Turn 4 kazakus, turn 7 chogall and kazakus spell. health not a huge issue since you're probably running reno too

But a lot of the value of kazakus seems to be tailoring to your immediate needs.

I remember when people said priest was gonna OP when dark cultist came out. Talonpriest... I don't think this does that nor does it make priest a curve god. 3/4s 3cc have been consistently overreacted to and overrated in the past.

Impressions of the first set of cards revealed:

Piranha Launcher - The text seems good. Summoning 1/1 beasts for Hunter is usually relevant. The mana cost kills it though. 5 mana for a 2/4 weapon? Unplayable.

Lotus Assassin - He's like a slower, weaker Giant Sand Worm. Unplayable.

Kabal Talonpriest - A strictly better Dark Cultist, which was one of the best 3-drops in the game. Overpowered.

Kazakus - His condition is going to require a very specific type of deck. But the reward seems well worth it. He, like Reno, will be relegated to one deck type, but I think that deck type will be viable. Playable.

I Know a Guy - Most taunt minions suck. Meh. Unplayable.

Meh, pretty negative gutshot!

Piranha launcher is like assassin's blade with a twist. I think hunter would run assassin's blade. This one leverages beast synergy. You still get 8 damage but you also activate your beast synergy cards without paying mana on subsequent turns.

Lotus assassin is NOTHING like giant sand worm. GSW is bad because it's so expensive and needs to survive a round to even start attacking. Lotus assassin has stealth, almost guaranteeing it survives to attack. Then it can't be finished off with removal if it trades.

Kabal talonpriest is not a strictly better dark cultist. DC could be played on an empty board on curve and then if it survives a turn, you can buff a 4 drop. Talonpriest requires you to already have board presence, something that is difficult to guarantee early on, especially as priest. And you're buffing a 2 drop on curve, much weaker than buffing a 4 drop. Plus no n'zoth synergy.

Hard to judge kazakus without knowing more information about what spells you can make.

I know a guy - since warrior cards will be favored to show up, you're getting ferocious monkeys, that 2/6 with enrage that is very playable, and the 3/2 taunt that gives another minion taunt. None of those taunt minions suck imo. Then you have a spread of okay neutral taunts, with a sprinkling of bad taunts.

ZealousD

Mathematically speaking the Hunter weapon is ok to decent value.

2/4 weapon is around 2.5 mana worth of value. 4 1/1s are worth around 3 mana especially if they are beast. So that's a bit over 5 mana value in the long term.

When you think about it... this card is like Muster for Beasts but the 1/1s come out in a delayed fashion as opposed to all at once. That means that it's sacrificing tempo for value.

Initial impression is that it's a bit too slow for Hunter. Kinda like Ball of Spiders but this has more initiative at the very least.

I think it's harder to get value out of a 2 attack weapon at 5 mana as well. Not conducive to trading much. So that'll mostly go face. Plus you have to go into Turn 9 to get full value. Might be nice that you have guaranteed beast synergy, though.

georly

But a lot of the value of kazakus seems to be tailoring to your immediate needs.

or it can be used for the value game. Turn 7, 7/7, draw 3 (or copy 3) no health penalty (take 10 damage, gain 10 armor) - or take 10 damage, summon 3 friendly minions that died this game.

Not situational but a good value play.

but you'd need other good shaman spells to back it up to justify chogall in the event you do need a situational kazakus or you never draw kazakus

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
or it can be used for the value game. Turn 7, 7/7, draw 3 (or copy 3) no health penalty (take 10 damage, gain 10 armor) - or take 10 damage, summon 3 friendly minions that died this game.

Not situational but a good value play.

I'm just worried about playing around it.

Seems like it could be lots of fun to play yourself though. Creating your own Yogg effect.

bjaelke

6S5dbnh.png

7j6RiOH.png

YHQCGvx.png

ZealousD

On its own not that much better than boulderfist ogre. Abuseable with brann, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom