• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
DlIPMpQ.jpg

I have an issue with how Track-o-bot determines archetypes. How the fuck is a Shaman who runs Flamewreathed and Doomhammer "midranged"?

I would probably lose to an actual midranged deck. Brain dead aggro shamans giving me free cards off their BrokeBack Hammer is easy wins. Baron Geddon does work, too, clearing their whole shitty board every turn.

I keep getting super close to beating hunters, and then they have quickshot / kill command for lethal after their Call of the Skill turn. Oh well, Getting sick being free to hunters but whatever.

Lots of midrange shamans run those cards. Not sure why those two cards would define the difference between aggro and midrange.

If you run fire elemental, mana tide and thunder bluff, you aren't aggro.

Ladekabel

I'd personally take out those cheap deathrattle minions, add 2 Azure Drakes and Chillmaw. Maybe even Doomsayer/Frost Nova if you're going for a more control-style deck. You could also convert it to Reno if you want. Not that many changes from your current deck.

Thanks for the suggestion. Might do that. But I don't have Chillmaw and for Reno I'm missing Ice Block.

Levi

Banned
Lots of midrange shamans run those cards. Not sure why those two cards would define the difference between aggro and midrange.

If you run fire elemental, mana tide and thunder bluff, you aren't aggro.

If ya run Flame Juggler, Flamewreathed and Doomhammer, you are aggro. I don't care if you have a six drop.

Sure, it's less aggressive than Face Shaman, but so what? That doesn't make it a midrange deck.

Levi

Banned
I wish I took a screen, but this guy played Sneed's Old Shredder against me in Brawl, and when I popped it I was chanting the worst legendary I could think of to drop: "Shifter Zerus, Shifter Zerus, Shifter Zerus".

Well, I was wrong about which legendary was the worst. Majordomo Executis dropped, I killed it, removing 22 health from my opponent and giving me an easy lethal the next turn.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
11pm Pacific? I guess I can be up for that. Here's hoping the event is like LoE where they just reveal all the cards and release it the next week or so.

I wish I took a screen, but this guy played Sneed's Old Shredder against me in Brawl, and when I popped it I was chanting the worst legendary I could think of to drop: "Shifter Zerus, Shifter Zerus, Shifter Zerus".

Well, I was wrong about which legendary was the worst. Majordomo Executis dropped, I killed it, removing 22 health from my opponent and giving me an easy lethal the next turn.

During the Raven Idol brawl, I played against a Priest with Paladin. He played Forbidden Shaping at 9 mana and got Major Domo. I was laughing my ass off at first, but then I couldn't kill the damn thing off with all of his heals. I finally removed it but couldn't keep anything on board to actually hit him with because of his removals and the 8 damage hero power. I thought I was going to lose to Major Domo until I pulled an Eye for an Eye and forced a tie.

Guess I should rank up before the end of the week...

But I just don't feel it. I enjoy watching other people play more than I like to play, and Pokémon Go has been my mobile game of choice for a few weeks now.

Levi

Banned
But.... wasn't playing Warrior always cool?..

Not always. Pre-standard, people hated Druid. And before that Patron. And before that Hunter. And before that Miracle. Probably some other decks in there I'm forgetting.

Right now people hate Warrior... not even a certain archetype, the whole damn class.

Dahbomb

That tier list is kinda sad. Only one control deck in tier 1 and tier 2 combined which is Cthun Warrior. The rest are all tempo based or aggressive decks.

Tempostone.

inky

Before the expansion I was trying to get Dragon Warrior to work, now it does and I don't feel like playing it =/

I liked my version that had Varian and Deathwing and Nefarian better

Dahbomb

Before the expansion I was trying to get Dragon Warrior to work, now it does and I don't feel like playing it =/

I liked my version that had Varian and Deathwing and Nefarian better
Previously people tried to make Dragon Warrior like Cthun Warrior, like a Midrange/Control version. That doesn't work nearly as well as the tempo version because the class dragon card that Warrior has is aggressive by nature.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.vicioussyndicate.com/vs-data-reaper-report-11/

I'm playing a tier three deck that only comprises 2.26% of ladder, so keep your goddamn "WarriorStone" comments to yourself if you choose to spectate me.

Why does tempo mage dominate the lower ranks? Such an annoying deck to play against. That's probably a big reason the higher ranks tend to be a lot more fun for me.

Also, that's quite a jump for token druid between rank 10-1 and legend. I've been playing Token/Yogg Druid because you guys told me to after I complained about Druid being bad, and it got me all the way to rank 5.

I don't know if i'd call it difficult to play, but it requires a very different playstyle than most decks, giving it a bit of a steep learning curve. I'm guessing that's why it's not super popular below legend.

Dahbomb

I still don't know the difference between tempo and midrange.
It's all the same thing in this game.

Very few classes can actually make real tempo plays. Rogue using up prep and a bunch of zero mana spells to put up a massive Van Cleef is a tempo play. Druid using Innervate to put out a big minion early is a tempo play. But other classes don't have 0 mana spells or many cost reduction cards so for them playing a tempo game is playing the best/fastest minion on curve.

Zoolock, Midrange Hunter, Tempo/Dragon Warrior, Midrange Shaman, Secret Paladin, Token Druid, Tempo Mage are all tempo decks.

Midrange generally means that you are playing something that is in the middle of control and aggro. As you can see there's really only one aggro deck and one control deck in tier 1-2 which means everything else has to be midrange.

Think of tempo decks as being a bit faster than midrange decks.

Levi

Banned

Because there really isn't one. Tempo more describes a playstyle than a deck archetype. Tempo Mage is more of a burn/aggro deck. Tempo Warrior is just midrange. Tempo Rogue is aggro. Etc. Etc. Etc.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

My impression was that tempo decks are defined by having more efficient removal in it. Play early stuff, remove opponent's stuff, and keep your minions on the board.

All of this lingo seems borrowed from MTG and it feels like putting square pegs into round holes sometimes.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
My impression was that tempo decks are defined by having more efficient removal in it. Play early stuff, remove opponent's stuff, and keep your minions on the board.

All of this lingo seems borrowed from MTG and it feels like putting square pegs into round holes sometimes.
What kind of deck doesn't want to do this?

Dahbomb

Tempo play means maximum utilization of mana to impact the board state. So a Warrior that uses a one mana Execute to kill a big minion then fill the rest of the crystals with a minion, that's technically a tempo play/swing although a very basic type. Likewise a minion like Fire Elemental is a high tempo card because it removes some of their board and puts a cost effective minion in play... like BGH as well.

What kind of deck doesn't want to do this?
Exactly. Only decks that don't specifically do this are control decks and raw face decks.

Which is why these Midrange/Tempo classifications have been bad ones. Kibler used to get in arguments over Tempo/Midrange Warrior... no one is really right or wrong.

Dahbomb

Not every aggro or midrange deck contains removal. Zoo doesn't have any removal at all, just minions.
Zoo uses Power Overwhelming for removal, sometimes Soulfire. And it's really annoying having your 4 drop killed by a 1/1 and a 1 mana spell. It's the ultimate tempo play.

Also combo decks don't play for tempo either so they are in their own style too. But LOL @ combo decks in HS right now.

ZealousD

Tempo play means maximum utilization of mana to impact the board state. So a Warrior that uses a one mana Execute to kill a big minion then fill the rest of the crystals with a minion, that's technically a tempo play/swing although a very basic type. Likewise a minion like Fire Elemental is a high tempo card because it removes some of their board and puts a cost effective minion in play... like BGH as well.

Exactly. Only decks that don't specifically do this are control decks and raw face decks.

Which is why these Midrange/Tempo classifications have been bad ones. Kibler used to get in arguments over Tempo/Midrange Warrior... no one is really right or wrong.

The confusion here is about naming. Midrange Hunter makes tempo plays but it isn't called Tempo Hunter, it is called Midrange Hunter.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's all the same thing in this game.

Very few classes can actually make real tempo plays. Rogue using up prep and a bunch of zero mana spells to put up a massive Van Cleef is a tempo play. Druid using Innervate to put out a big minion early is a tempo play. But other classes don't have 0 mana spells or many cost reduction cards so for them playing a tempo game is playing the best/fastest minion on curve.

Zoolock, Midrange Hunter, Tempo/Dragon Warrior, Midrange Shaman, Secret Paladin, Token Druid, Tempo Mage are all tempo decks.

Midrange generally means that you are playing something that is in the middle of control and aggro. As you can see there's really only one aggro deck and one control deck in tier 1-2 which means everything else has to be midrange.

Think of tempo decks as being a bit faster than midrange decks.

Token Druid isn't about playing the best/fastest minion on curve at all. It's much closer to your Van Cleef example where you use synergy cards to create massive single turn tempo swings. The only time you should play any minions at all before turn 4 is through ramping, a god draw of double living roots plus call of the wild, or as defense against aggro.

ZealousD

The main problem is the HS community is horribly uncreative when coming up with deck archetype names.

Face/Aggro/Tempo/Midrange/Control

and/or

Whatever card is your win condition

and/or

Some tribe

Very few exceptions.

manhack

Why does tempo mage dominate the lower ranks? Such an annoying deck to play against. That's probably a big reason the higher ranks tend to be a lot more fun for me.

Also, that's quite a jump for token druid between rank 10-1 and legend. I've been playing Token/Yogg Druid because you guys told me to after I complained about Druid being bad, and it got me all the way to rank 5.

I don't know if i'd call it difficult to play, but it requires a very different playstyle than most decks, giving it a bit of a steep learning curve. I'm guessing that's why it's not super popular below legend.

Tempo mage has been popular for a long time now, especially after flamewaker came out. During the height of secret paladin I swear tempo mage was the deck I saw more often than anything else.

I think it just a relatively cheap, fun and quick deck to play on ladder for people who are grinding out mage wins.

ZealousD

Tempo mage has been popular for a long time now, especially after flamewaker came out. During the height of secret paladin I swear tempo mage was the deck I saw more often than anything else.

I think it just a relatively cheap, fun and quick deck to play on ladder for people who are grinding out mage wins.

Tempo Mage wasn't even called Tempo Mage before Flamewaker. We used to just have a faster deck called aggro mage that ran stuff like knife juggler instead.

Dahbomb

Token Druid isn't about playing the best/fastest minion on curve at all. It's much closer to your Van Cleef example where you use synergy cards to create massive single turn tempo swings. The only time you should play any minions at all before turn 4 is through ramping, a god draw of double living roots plus call of the wild, or as defense against aggro.
Yeah Token Druid is closer to the actual tempo playstyle. Which is why I put Rogue and Druid in the same category of real tempo.

I am saying for every class that isn't those two classes (and maybe Mage), Tempo play is playing fastest/best minion on curve.

inky

I'll probably stay up to be totally disappointed by the 30 minute long midnight stream. Are people doing the twitch chat again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom