• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Savjz just got the astral communion dream on his stream. Turn 3 rag, turn 4 10/10 can't attack hero, turn 5 nourish into nourish draws. Insane.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Patron warrior seems good against midrange hunter. If they can clear your patrons it costs them a whole lot to do it.

Xanathus

Patron warrior seems good against midrange hunter. If they can clear your patrons it costs them a whole lot to do it.

Not really? Midrange Hunter was one of the counters against Patron Warrior pre-Warsong nerf because their minions/spells can clear Patron boards relatively easily and they can apply pressure to prevent patron combos. Only difference now I guess is that Fiery Bat and Huge Toad are liabilities.

Furo

So, anyone knew when the devs decide to release new keywords/effects and stuff like that? A few more years?
Looks like an easy job at blizzards design team ;)

Portugeezer

They both seem pretty bad IMO. Why would I want Moroes at all? Most decks have AoE these days. And what deck would want Book Wyrm, 6 mana card that's a 4 drop with a conditional Shadow Word Pain?

So, a 4 drop and a "conditional" shadow word pain in a single neutral card? Seems pretty good.

The condition of having a dragon is not that big of a deal for a dragon deck, most dragon decks usually don't have too many issues having dragon activators, on top of that this is also a dragon which also helps other dragon activations.

Zoggy

So, anyone knew when the devs decide to release new keywords/effects and stuff like that? A few more years?
Discover is a great mechanic and they're probably going to ride that thing until the end lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I'm hoping we get a new Keyword with the next Expansion. I think Blizard wants to hold off on Keywords, after they decided to abandon Inspire.

Badgerst3

Any links to a decent Priest deck?

Any version of Dragon Priest I try gets crushed at about level 16.

And I have Nzoth. Death rattle dragon priest is getting especially worked by any hunter atm.

And I have Nzoth. Death rattle dragon priest is getting especially worked by any hunter atm.

These are the decks recommended by tempostorm for laddering:

https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/cthun-priest-standard-meta-snapshot-july-31-2016
https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/dragon-priest-standard-meta-snapshot-july-31-2016
https://tempostorm.com/hearthstone/decks/nzoth-control-priest-standard-meta-snapshot-july-31-2016

However they're not very confident in any of them

you can play zeta's legend priest post on his twitter. Cthun priest isnt good b/c it's just a terrible minion deck w/ 1 bomb and barely any cycle. Dragon priest is alright but you run the risk of drawing poorly, kibler was running an interesting list a while back

Dahbomb

Also Kripp's other video featured Nirolak at rank 12 with Aggro Shaman against his god awful Boogeymonster Warrior deck... LMAO!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Saved for later!

5 unconditional damage spell is basically a 4 mana spell. Balanced Fireball. It kills MOST things. You can kill A Thing From Below or Emperor Thaurissan with this.

A random 5 drop is basically a 4/5 in stats. That's a Yeti. Another 4 mana minion on top on your removal.

Add them together, that's 8 mana of value. But it costs 7 mana. And because it's a spell, you can reduce its cost with Sorcerer's Apprentice, get bonus with spell damage, and proc Flamewaker. It fits tempo mage even better than the pure value of Faceless Summoner and everybody plays that card in Tempo Mage right now.

Oh and by the way, it's almost a guaranteed 2 for 1 because something is dying and something else has to kill your minion.

There is zero chance that Firelands Portal does not see play.

Quadratic

I have the 80g quest to battle a friend. Quadratic#1998

I'll be on for a bit if anyone wants some gold.

Edit: Thanks got the quest done.

Dahbomb

I think for me the deciding factor of whether it is OP or not is how the chain summoning works.

For example... what if you get Summoning Stone off of this card? Do you ALSO get a 7 mana minion off of Summoning Stone? Then if you do get the 7 mana minion do their effects trigger too?

Like say you use Firelands Portal on someone's face, it summons Summoning Stone, then it summons Prophet Velen (assuming it does)... would the Fireland hit for 10 damage?

Basically I am asking if the summoning happens before the damage is dealt or after the damage is dealt. That makes a big difference in how good the card is.

ZealousD

I think for me the deciding factor of whether it is OP or not is how the chain summoning works.

For example... what if you get Summoning Stone off of this card? Do you ALSO get a 7 mana minion off of Summoning Stone? Then if you do get the 7 mana minion do their effects trigger too?

Like say you use Firelands Portal on someone's face, it summons Summoning Stone, then it summons Prophet Velen (assuming it does)... would the Fireland hit for 10 damage?

Basically I am asking if the summoning happens before the damage is dealt or after the damage is dealt. That makes a big difference in how good the card is.

Summoning Stone says "Whenever you cast a spell" and not "After you cast a spell" which means the effect triggers the moment you cast the spell and before the spell resolves. For that reason Summoning Stone won't trigger if pulled from this spell. Either way Summoning Stone is one of something like 56 five-drops so that's just a single edge case. That won't be what makes the card OP or not.

Fire portal is a high value spell but what makes you think it's going to be ran in tempo when even faceless summoner isn't?

I remember when people were calling that thing OP.

Portal doesn't seem terrible. But its really expensive spell. What high cost spells are ran in your non-freeze mage deck that isn't call of the wild? Very few. Even flamestrike is iffy.

Can the RNG even lead to some astounding win? Like what is the best case 5 drop? I guess doomguard. So far I am not convinced that tempo mage has a slot for something like that. It's way too expensive and even if you do run a 7 cost spell, wouldn't it be flamestrike?

ZealousD

Fire portal is a high value spell but what makes you think it's going to be ran in tempo when even faceless summoner isn't?

Uh, what game of Hearthstone are you playing? Faceless Summoner absolutely sees play in Tempo Mage.

Firelands Portal is also a spell and synergizes with the Tempo Mage kit in ways that Faceless Summoner doesn't.

It's way too expensive and even if you do run a 7 cost spell, wouldn't it be flamestrike?

Flamestrike is only good when your opponent has 3 or more minions on board. Ideally that doesn't happen when you're playing tempo mage. Firelands Portal is better than Flamestrike when your opponent only has 1 or 2 minions.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Another thing people overlook is that between Ethereal Conjurer, Cabalists Tome, and even Babbling Book, Firelands Portal will see a lot of play in Constructed though spell creation even if it isn't good enough to be included in a deck directly.

Uh, what game of Hearthstone are you playing? Faceless Summoner absolutely sees play in Tempo Mage.

Firelands Portal is also a spell and synergizes with the Tempo Mage kit in ways that Faceless Summoner doesn't.

Flamestrike is only good when your opponent has 3 or more minions on board. Ideally that doesn't happen when you're playing tempo mage. Firelands Portal is better than Flamestrike when your opponent only has 1 or 2 minions.

Faceless summoner is a rare pick for tempo mage and is basically ran in slower tempo mage decks which aren't even ran any longer. So yeah, it's basically not ran in current tempo mage lists. And without a doubt I'd run faceless summoner before firelands portal, which was my point anyway.

You're fishing for spell synergy off a 7 mana card? That's rarely if ever going to happen tbh.

The reason I would run flamestrike over firelands portal is because it fills a hole in the deck. Tempo mage has tons of single target removal already. You're not really strengthening the deck much by adding a pretty situational RNG card. If it was a class or deck that lacked single target removal, maybe it'd be awesome. I think flamestrike has the potential to be a bigger swing, which is what you really need from a 7 mana spell imo.

5 unconditional damage spell is basically a 4 mana spell. Balanced Fireball. It kills MOST things. You can kill A Thing From Below or Emperor Thaurissan with this.

A random 5 drop is basically a 4/5 in stats. That's a Yeti. Another 4 mana minion on top on your removal.

Add them together, that's 8 mana of value. But it costs 7 mana. And because it's a spell, you can reduce its cost with Sorcerer's Apprentice, get bonus with spell damage, and proc Flamewaker. It fits tempo mage even better than the pure value of Faceless Summoner and everybody plays that card in Tempo Mage right now.

Oh and by the way, it's almost a guaranteed 2 for 1 because something is dying and something else has to kill your minion.

There is zero chance that Firelands Portal does not see play.
You're ignoring the fact that you can't play Firelands portal on turn 4 like you can with fireball or Yeti, so that reduces the value somewhat of those 2 effects. Furthermore, for the spell to gain optimal value your opponent will have to have a minion with 5 health on board, otherwise you're either overkilling a minion or not killing one at all.

I'm sure you've seen Firebat's video but just in case I'm gonna link it anyway: https://youtu.be/-IvQ23sFQmM?t=1061. This isn't me going "pro player said this so he must be right" but he made some good points regarding the card.
Firebat thinks it is insanely powerful and will see play. He actually did the math on it and goes into it in detail in his review.

https://youtu.be/-IvQ23sFQmM

I don't think he ever said "insanely powerful", just that it will see play in tempo mage and it's a good card.

Szadek

Firelands Portal is going to be crazy in arena, but I'm not so eniertly for Constructed.
It might just be a little bit too slow.
Then again, it's basically a 7 mana equivalent of fire elemental, which gets played in a tier 1 deck right now.

Levi

Banned
So I started today rank 8, zero stars. Got to rank 8, full stars. Fell all the way back down to rank 8, zero stars. Just got to rank 8, full stars again, and I have to face this bullshit:

2WYcYHj.jpg

75DZanv.jpg

6emAQ0l.jpg

dLXMDpc.jpg

YYRaq6J.jpg

I started taking screenshots when I realized I was gonna lose, so I could look at the different plays and see if there was anything I could have done better.

Pretty sure I fucking lost when I didn't draw war axe for the 1/3, and this guy skipped hero powering so there was never gonna be a good brawl result.

Midrange my ass.

Dahbomb

I see Faceless Summoner and Flamestrike all the time in Tempo Mage. I think in current meta Flamestrike is a lot better than Firelands. But it's god damn Flamestrike.

Szadek

So I started today rank 8, zero stars. Got to rank 8, full stars. Fell all the way back down to rank 8, zero stars. Just got to rank 8, full stars again, and I have to face this bullshit:

I started taking screenshots when I realized I was gonna lose, so I could look at the different plays and see if there was anything I could have done better.

Pretty sure I fucking lost when I didn't draw war axe for the 1/3, and this guy skipped hero powering so there was never gonna be a good brawl result.

Midrange my ass.
Slyvannas was probably a better play than Justica; since it's a really slow card.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really like Book Wyrm, especially in Dragon Pally with aldor. 3 attack gives it a lot of surprisingly good targets, and even ignoring that it counters itself it's actually really good against other dragon decks.

Dunno about Moroes. I'd feel better if Ravaging Ghoul wasn't all over ladder.

Dahbomb

Expensive spells that are used or have been used in Constructed (6 and above):

Entomb
Lay on Hands
Twisting Nether
Siphon Soul
Blizzard
Flamestrike
Anyfin Can Happen
Sprint
Pyroblast
Call of the Wild

Thing is that there aren't even that many expensive spells to begin with. Warriors for example top out at Brawl.

Mage has almost always found a way to use an expensive spell.

Levi

Banned
Yep this sure is midrange and not aggro at all, no sirree. You can tell because they run overstatted cards and go face all the time, that's apparently how we define midrange now.

gwETzeQ.jpg

cHinzo

Then again, Pyroblast is too slow and the big Mage spells are AoE, since they got great and cheap single target removal already.

Just tried out Tempo rogue again and it's still awesome. Made it back to rank 15 with half an hour left before the season ends. :D

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yep this sure is midrange and not aggro at all, no sirree. You can tell because they run overstatted cards and go face all the time, that's apparently how we define midrange now.

gwETzeQ.jpg

What do you think midrange means? Can't win by turn 8?

Do you think current hunter is aggro and not midrange?

It's not even about whether or not faceless summoner is in tempo mage right now, which I still think it rarely is. There are 2 popular versions of tempo I see and they don't run it. I don't think I've seen more than a handful of slower tempo mage deck in ranked since like the first 2 or 3 weeks of the expansion.

Anyway, my point is that if you're looking for a high value card for tempo mage, you're going to run faceless manipulator before running firelands portal. And since that is rarely even ran, I doubt we'll see fireland portal. It's just too expensive and hardly fills a gap in the archetype.

Will it be ran in other archetypes? Control mage? Midrange/value mage? Probably. I'm not saying it has zero merit in tempo mage, I am just saying I don't think it'll be ran over other cards.

gwETzeQ.jpg

That isn't how you define what a deck is. You're playing pretty much the most defensive deck in the game. Midrange is always going to play like it's aggro against a deck like that. That's how they win.

Midrange basically plays like control against faster decks and like aggro against control decks... generally speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom