• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Prince Malchezaar effect is only useful in control and mill decks,and against fast deck it's just a pitfighter.
Possibly worse since a random legendary if often worse than a card you would up in your deck.
I also don't get why it's at the start of your turn and not the end.
Could be worse a spot in a slow meta, but currently, I don't have much hope for this card.

Protect the King is a worse unleash the hounds in most cases, because UTH lets you make the trades.
Not to emntion it gets destoryed by whirlwind effects.

I'm not sold on either cards.

Pooya

I'm guessing just like discover mechanic and make a random deck mechanic, it is skewed toward class cards, if your class has good legendary cards this card is a lot better. So you probably don't want to play this in warlock but it should be great in warrior, paladin or even rogue.

They must have an animation for it at the start of the match if it works like that and hopefully you can see what cards you got.

I think it's correct, otherwise "deck building rules" wouldn't make sense, it would only apply to rest of your deck then.

fertygo

I dunno its seem decent at midrange deck with decent amount of threat you can play it on curve because strong body if its can bait removal its already good for your bigger threat if its goes off you get crazy value.. really inteŕested to at least do experiment with it.. combo with varian wrynn sound dreamy af lol

greepoman

Interesting...so if it's start of the game you'd never want to play it in more aggressive decks because you could draw really dead early on.

I definitely like the idea of making cards only useful for certain deck types with new mechanics...but whether this is the best execution of that we'll see.

So I guess if you can't get other class cards it's useless for the new rogue card? Couldve been interesting in a control rogue archetype.

Pooya

Interesting...so if it's start of the game you'd never want to play it in more aggressive decks because you could draw really dead early on.

why not actually, you can build some really low curve aggro deck that tops out at this, you could get your end game bombs and still curve out well.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
At the start of the game, very interesting.

Sounds like a fun card that will give a lot of crappy legendaries a chance to ssee play, especially for budget players.

I wonder if it shows you the cards being shuffled into your deck. That would be nice, let you know what you can plan around.

fertygo

Wow that crazy af

You get 35 card with putting this card on your deck?

Damn this is exciting

Rogue got multiple edwin or Xaril can be gamechanger

greepoman

why not actually, you can build some really low curve aggro deck that tops out at this, you could get your end game bombs and still curve out well.

Isn't it more effective to just put in the end game bombs like dragon warrior already does? It's not like you plan to draw your whole deck anyway. IMO it has a higher possibility to hurt you rather than help you unless you can draw a lot (aka warlock).

Also there has to be some sort of cthun like animation to let your opponent know right? Should be cool.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Isn't it more effective to just put in the end game bombs like dragon already does? It's not like you plan to draw your whole deck anyway. IMO it has a higher possibility to hurt you rather than help you unless you can draw a lot (aka warlock).

Maybe, but it sure will be fun.

fertygo

you can't, you either put them in your deck or get them from this, you can't do both.
Bleggh

Oh well then.. free Xaril out of nowhere still gud

Btw this card kinda shit for warrior n mage then.. you dont want sea reaver n flame levi pop from nowhere

Pooya

Isn't it more effective to just put in the end game bombs like dragon warrior already does? It's not like you plan to draw your whole deck anyway. IMO it has a higher possibility to hurt you rather than help you unless you can draw a lot (aka warlock).

Also there has to be some sort of cthun like animation to let your opponent know right? Should be cool.

I think the main benefit of the card is that you could afford to play more spells, like play more burn cards for an aggro deck if you can, like for warrior you can play mortal strike, arcanite reaper or whatever. I don't think it's necessarily bad for aggro.

If it's at the start of the game, does it break the max card limit of a deck? Start with 30, draw three initially, 4 if turn two, then your turn one draw. Doesn't that mean on turn one you have 4 in hand (26/30) then he shuffles five in? (31/30)

Asbel

Malchezaar is a Timmy card. For the most part, it won't help your aggro deck and it won't help you against aggro decks. I like it as a fun card though.

Xanathus

Prince Malchezaar is a card which inexperienced Hearthstone players will think is amazing. Games in Hearthstone almost never come down to fatigue, and putting this in your deck will generally weaken it because it thickens your deck with potentially useless Legendary cards. Big legendary cards aren't what make Control decks good, it's the small cards like Fiery War Axe and Execute and Shield Slam that enable them to reach late game. Having this card in your deck reduces your chances of drawing into the core cards at the right time. The only situation this card is good is if the meta somehow becomes Fatigue vs Fatigue but then Hearthstone might as well be a dead game then.

greepoman

I think the main benefit of the card is that you could afford to play more spells, like play more burn cards for an aggro deck if you can, like for warrior you can play mortal strike, arcanite reaper or whatever. I don't think it's necessarily bad for aggro.

The reason I think it's bad is the scenario where you play all your hand by turn 4 then get a 10 mana card. It's pretty devastating for an aggro deck to have a dead turn let alone in the worst case you could have 5 straight dead turns. If you are doing it to add more burn spells then those can be pretty dead turns too unless you get the top deck the right burn spell and not mortal strike for a board of 1 health minions.

I was trying to think which "random" effect cards are actually good and I came up with 2 cases:
1) does a lot of random stuff immediately so chances of good stuff are higher(Yogg and Monkey)
2) Adds card advantage directly to hand (huckster and spell guy)

I think the main advantage the card gives is the +5 cards which is really only good in fatigue and mill decks.

Szadek

In that case I have to rethink my possiondesirable on the card.
Another important factor is that he obeys noraml deck building rules, which means he is not going to shuffle a card into your deck that you are already playing.
That makes him significantly worse since you can't get the best legndaires from his effect, because you are already playing them (or at least you should).

With that in mind, playing him basically mean you are playing a 35 card deck, which is good against control and great against mill , but often terrible against most other deck.
Running more cards makes you get less consistent in general, but it's even worse here, because these are random cards.

Cards like :
latest
Often get played in yugioh, since it basically mean that you are playing a 37 card deck, which in many cases is highly desirable.

Ask yourself this question:
Do you even want to play 35 card deck ,espcially if the last 5 cards are random?
For me it's a clear no and unless the meta gets super slow, that probably won't change.

Xis

Prince Malchezaar is a card which inexperienced Hearthstone players will think is amazing.

Yeah, that card is bad. All it can do is add cards that you aren't already running. If those cards are so good, why aren't you running them in the first place? Any new card it adds to your deck is a card you already decided not to run because it's worse than the 30 cards you are running.

For people with small collections (like me), it could be fun, but it's not going to be competitive. If it proves to be worthwhile, it will be so purely for the 'makes your deck bigger' aspect.

NBtoaster

Prince Malchezaar is a card which inexperienced Hearthstone players will think is amazing. Games in Hearthstone almost never come down to fatigue, and putting this in your deck will generally weaken it because it thickens your deck with potentially useless Legendary cards. Big legendary cards aren't what make Control decks good, it's the small cards like Fiery War Axe and Execute and Shield Slam that enable them to reach late game. Having this card in your deck reduces your chances of drawing into the core cards at the right time. The only situation this card is good is if the meta somehow becomes Fatigue vs Fatigue but then Hearthstone might as well be a dead game then.

Fatigue vs Fatigue has been a common matchup. Warrior vs Warrior, Priest vs Priest, Priest vs Warrior happened alot pre WOTG. When the meta becomes large part control warrior (as it often is) this card is effective.

Though the question is if it's better than C'thun+Brann+Doomcaller which currently crushes the matchup.

Pooya

Elise and Rafaam, guys those Timmy cards "experienced players" told us won't see play. yeah, maybe you should stop net decking all the time and have some imagination some time in card evaluation. just a thought.

jgminto

Muster for Taunt is a Warrior card that people won't play because other people are playing Warrior, quite a card against Zoo and Token decks though. The Legendary seems decent for fatigue decks but if you're playing a fatigue deck properly, you shouldn't need a five card lead to win in fatigue.

Q8D3vil

Muster for Taunt is a Warrior card that people won't play because other people are playing Warrior, quite a card against Zoo and Token decks though. The Legendary seems decent for fatigue decks but if you're playing a fatigue deck properly, you shouldn't need a five card lead to win in fatigue.
the only thing i can see that card being used is to stall for one more turn.
Its quite bad vs other warriors.

But bolster warrior

:(

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Protect the King - Unleash the Taunts. I think Charge is way better than Taunt for a card like this. If your opponent's minions don't have 1 hp it basically just buys you a turn against a zoo deck or something. You have to summon 4 minions to get value, unlike UTH where 3 is fine. Unless you combo this with Bolster. Blizz really wants to make Bolster a thing.

Prince Malchezaar - My hated for fatigue strategies is well documented. However this is and it isn't a fatigue card. Most fatigue decks don't want to play just normal minions because it gives the opponent opportunities to get value out of cards they might not otherwise have a chance to play. That said putting you five turns away from fatigue could be pretty valuable for a fatigue deck regardless. My instinct says this is better in a control vs control mirror, similar to Elise Starseeker. You might suffer some consistency against midrange and aggro because you could draw some poor or slow legendary when you'd rather have removal or a board clear. I think it might see play, it's just a question of how often and how good it really is. At the very least it can't be dumpster tier because it passes the vanilla test with flying colors.

Elise and Rafaam, guys those Timmy cards "experienced players" told us won't see play. yeah, maybe you should stop net decking all the time and have some imagination some time in card evaluation. just a thought.

Rafaam is the fringiest of cards. I don't think you can put people on blast for saying that the card isn't competitive.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, nah.. with bunch of warrior out there, soul of forest look better

Warrior's a good enough matchup anyway, and from my experience all of them waste their Raving Ghouls on absolutely anything you put out there, but getting a soul of the forest can be important too so that's fine.

Edit: also, is it just me or is battlenet down?

Pooya

Malchezaar could work in some kind of demonlock with discards, if you're burning through cards and drawing with the appropriately named Imp of Malchezaar, it wouldn't hurt to have more cards in your deck.

Rafaam is the fringiest of cards. I don't think you can put people on blast for saying that the card isn't competitive.

It was good enough that people put in tempo warrior in place of Varian for months, in tournaments even, it's safe to say it wasn't a Timmy card, Timmy card implies something else, like majordommo or deathwing dragonlord... the card was perfectly playable, just slow, that doesn't make it a a Timmy card imo at least. It wasn't some dummy deceptively powerful card, it was actually similar to Ysera which isn't Timmy at all.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Malchezaar could work in some kind of demonlock with discards, if you're burning through cards and drawing with the appropriately named Imp of Malchezaar, it wouldn't hurt to have more cards in your deck.

I guess that might be true. I suspect the deck would be a bit too fast for that to be a problem though.

At least you don't have to worry about discarding him since his effect procs anyway.

Rafaam is a Timmy card. Elise is somewhat decent against aggro as a generic 4 mana 3/5. Imp of Malchezaar is probably straight up terrible against aggro.

FeD.nL

Exactly. The mill and fatigue decks now in the game are able to execute their gameplan, that isn't the problem. If anything this card makes those decks less consistent. Like you have to cut something for this card to get a bunch of cards that likely will just dilute your draws giving you less chance to draw your win conditions to overcome a problem that isn't there in the first place.

But perhaps a new deck will emerge.

Levi

Banned
The benefit to Malchezaar in Control Warrior is that you could safely thin your deck with draw cards and not instantly lose the mirror.

Right now, in CW mirror you need Elise to turn dead cards such as Shield Block and Acolyte of Pain into random legendaries. If you have 5 extra cards in your deck, maybe you can afford to cycle those cards? Also, as CW holding a dead card in your hand until you can turn it into something else with Elise isn't that crippling--so if you get Nat Pagle or something useless you can just try again with the monkey.

More cards means more things for Elise to change.

Finally, this card is a good dust sink if you like golden cards... Doesn't, "at the start of your game, shuffle five random GOLDEN legendaries into your deck" sound good? It does,right?

As far as "Unleash the Pawns" is concerned, there's a ton of better cards in the 3 mana slot for Warrior right now. I can't see cutting Ravaging Ghoul or Frothing Beserker or Fierce Monkey so I can run this. Also, this spell seems REALLY bad against control decks that don't flood the board.

However, that doesn't mean someone won't finally figure out "Taunt" warrior... I'll definitely be testing this both of these cards out.

It does seems like a really strong spell for Arena Warriors.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
For the new warrior card, spending 3 mana and a card to stall for a turn seems reasonable to me. Will often save you a ton more life than shield block.Seems directly aimed at shaman too, with totems that can't attack often on the board.

Doesn't seem quite good enough to be used as a tech card though, and warrior is too good of a class to settle for mediocre cards.

It's a below average arena card. Can sometimes give you annoy-o-tron value, and can rarely give you a good tempo turn, but probably too situational.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Seems like unleash the pawns would do ok in a malchezar control deck since like Levi said, you might be able to run a few less minions.

Pooya

pawns card could work in OTK warrior with commanding shout, you get board, wipe theirs with pyro. It sure a lot better than bad cards like shield block for that deck, it could save you much more than 5 hp and protect the pyro. the deck relies on good pyro combo turns to beat a lot of decks. It doesn't cycle but you have the chance to draw more cards with this and have more time.

Finalow

best cards I've seen so far are probably Barnes and Kindly Grandmother, which I believe are definitely gonna be played in constructed. Babbling Book seems also very playable but I'm not too sure about it.
the 1 mana 2/2 beast only if beast druid becomes a thing, which could happen if they release more (good) beast druid cards.
I don't know why the keep pushing for the discard warlock since it's awful, and the 1/3 imp isn't gonna change that unless they make more great and actually playable discard cards.

and Lol the new common mage spell, one more reason to don't play arena and I'm glad I stopped doing so ages ago. They quite literally couldn't give any less fucks, "balancing arena? Ah-ah nice joke mate."

I think for beast druid to be a thing, they need more cards that synergize with beasts. There's plenty of good beasts to fill out a curve (druid of the claw/flame/saber, enchanted raven, savage combatant, power of the wild panther, mounted raptor), but only 3 cards that make use of the beast tag:

-mark of y'shaarj
-wildwalker
-knight of the wild

From those, the only card I would consider good is mark of y'shaarj. Wildwalker has below average stats for its cost and the battlecry doesn't give immediate tempo like houndmaster does, and knight of the wild is likely a dead card for a few turns. Even if you get the dream opening where you have knight of the wild in your hand and play out a perfect curve of 1,2,3-mana beasts, it's still only a 4-mana 6/6 which isn't that impressive anymore.

Szadek

Kindly Grandmother could suffer the same problem as Twilight summoner or might not get played since Huge Toad is very similar and possibly better (hard to tell without testing).
Hunter migth play both and don't play king's elekk anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom