• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooya

you have to kill grandmother twice, that makes it better than toad. Random damage is really really bad mechanic too. There is a list by amnesiac that already plays abusive and direwolf alpha already, why not.

Let's say you play this card against war axe, it's obviously far far better than toad.

CoolOff

Kindly Grandmother could suffer the same problem as Twilight summoner or might not get played since Huge Toad is very similar and possibly better (hard to tell without testing).
Hunter migth play both and don't play king's elekk anymore.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the Twilight Summoner comparison hasn't been done more often. Both being beasts could counteract whatever weakness TS has though.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the Twilight Summoner comparison hasn't been done more often. Both being beasts could counteract whatever weakness TS has though.

I think playing a 1/1 on turn 4 with no immediate effect is game-losingly slow, while doing it on turn 2 is (barely) doable especially since buffing it up with abusive sergeant or alpha wolf is also more valuable around those turns.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

Twilight Summoner is 4 mana. The tempo loss of a 1/1 is far greater at 4 mana than at 2 mana.

I don't understand the people who think Kindly Grandmother is bad. It's like people forgot that Haunted Creeper was an auto-include in Hunter for its whole life.

Levi

Banned
Kindly Grandmother could suffer the same problem as Twilight summoner or might not get played since Huge Toad is very similar and possibly better (hard to tell without testing).
Hunter migth play both and don't play king's elekk anymore.

Kindly Grandmother is going to be an autoinclude. Early game, sticky minion, and both bodies have the beast tag?

I agree that it's going to replace King's Elek and not Huge Toad, though.

DSmalls84

Definitely want to try Kindly Grandmother in a N'Zoth Hunter deck. Hopefully it works well enough that I can drop the bats and toads to make room for other cards.

Xanathus

Twilight Summoner is 4 mana. The tempo loss of a 1/1 is far greater at 4 mana than at 2 mana.

I don't understand the people who think Kindly Grandmother is bad. It's like people forgot that Haunted Creeper was an auto-include in Hunter for its whole life.

Yup, it's an autoreplace for Huge Toad. Feels better too in a deck running with Doomsayers. Now if only Hunters had Power Overwhelming...

Szadek

Never said the card was bad, but toad is a better tempo play, which can be important.
Chances are, the other player is not going to kill the 1/1 for you (unless they can clear the token as well), so it takes a while until the card gets going.

Having said that, the beast tag is probably going to carry the card, because the houndmaster synergy makes it hard to ignore the card for too long.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member

The card is crazy good.

Haunted Creeper wasn't just an auto-include in hunter either. Basically any agressive deck ran it. Paladin often ran it (cuz Knifr Juggler + Muster was already in there) too.

Kindly Grandmother is just as good, but better for hunter due to the double beast tag. Thankfully, Grandma is Hunter only. In fact, I think it is probably good enough to replace Haunted Creeper in the Wild hunter decks. More difficult to remove beasts mean you will have that beast to enable Kill Command lethals more often. A very solid card.

The 2/2 Raven feels almost as good for druid. Not as obviously amazing, but it seems to give druid a 1 mana minion worth putting in a deck, that isn't the 2 1/1s from living roots. And since it won't die to hero powers you will likely get to actually use the 2 attack on it at least once.

gutshot

Haunted Creeper was much better than Kindly Grandmother because two 1/1s is better than a 3/2, a lot of the time. Also the 2 health on the Creeper was huge; it couldn't be pinged and it could eat tokens for free.

Grandmother is not nearly as OP as Creeper. It'll probably be run in Hunter lists, but only because the other 2-drop Beasts kind of suck.

Dahbomb

Prince Malchazaar is a fatigue deck card. Like Fatigue Warrior was. Even then it's not that good to be honest because it greatly decreases deck consistent and puts a Pit Fighter in your deck.

Unleash the Taunts is a Bolster Warrior deck card. They have been trying to make that deck for a while now.

Levi

Banned
Prince Malchazaar is a fatigue deck card. Like Fatigue Warrior was. Even then it's not that good to be honest because it greatly decreases deck consistent and puts a Pit Fighter in your deck.

Unleash the Taunts is a Bolster Warrior deck card. They have been trying to make that deck for a while now.

Prince Machazaar is great for when you expect to go to fatigue, but bad in a deck where that's the win condition. PM encourages you to add draw to your deck so you're not stuck top decking a garbage legendary and losing the game, and fatigue decks don't like having a lot of draw. Fatigue decks need every card to be impactful because they can't dig for answers. Diluting your deck with random cards would hurt that kind of deck.

Slower control decks might run PM if they expect to see a lot of mirrors, or just for fun.

If control priest ever becomes a thing, PM would be a strong tech choice because those matches will go to fatigue, and being able to bait out entombs with some random Gruul or whatever helps you preserve your win condition.

As someone who sucks at the game Prince Malchezaar sounds like something that I would use because it's fun but probably not very good.

ViviOggi

Whenever you're thinking "this card might be okay in control vs control matches", stop and treat the card like it doesn't exist

Levi

Banned
Whenever you're thinking "this card might be okay in control vs control matches", stop and treat the card like it doesn't exist

Ha!

There's always friendly matches and if you're stubborn, you can grind ladder with a control deck and find the 8% of other idiots who are doing the same thing every 11 games or so.

ZealousD

Haunted Creeper was much better than Kindly Grandmother because two 1/1s is better than a 3/2, a lot of the time. Also the 2 health on the Creeper was huge; it couldn't be pinged and it could eat tokens for free.

Grandmother is not nearly as OP as Creeper. It'll probably be run in Hunter lists, but only because the other 2-drop Beasts kind of suck.

I don't think that it is true that two 1/1s are better than a 3/2, especially when the 3/2 has a beast tag. Is Murloc Tidehunter a better card than Bloodfen Raptor? Most people would say no, and that is a 2/1 and a 1/1. And we've seen how valuable it is that the spiders that pop out of infested wolf are also beasts.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Are we pretending like Elise doesn't exist?

No of course not, but he is correctly pointing out that Control v Control basically never happens in Hearthstone. Its 80/20 Aggro/Control on the ladder (and that is generous, could be closer to 90/10), and if you are teching for a control v control game you are hurting yourself against the VAST majority of decks that you will play.

So saying the card might as well not exist is (in terms of probability) pretty much correct. The game and the ladder are so vastly weighted toward aggro, that the control v control cards (as fun as they may be) are basically non existant on ladder.

ZealousD

Hi. My name is Doomcaller. I am a card that exists in C'Thun Warrior becaise I am great in a Control vs Control match. You might have met my wife, Elise Starseeker?

bjaelke

76wuAsh.png

Duster for battle

ZealousD

Force of Beauty and the Beast.

Would Zoo play Force of Nature? Probably not?

zoukka

Would zoo play Silver Hand Knight?

This is a tad better, but still a bit meh. Maybe a one off for Juggler/1/5 synergy.

They might, they already run forbidden tentacles or whatever it's called. Zoo has a problem getting the board back, so if you're not ahead by a good margin this could help them get it back. Or help them push over the top. I think it's good.

Regarding the malch dude. I think he is alright. And yes, control vs control happens. And often enough you might tech in options to improve your match ups. The only problem I see is that it requires it to survive a round before getting value. Could simply not work often enough against control decks.

I appreciate how ridiculous this cards look. It's one of the reasons I can't really get into any of the other card games, they all take themselves too seriously.

zoukka

They might, they already run forbidden tentacles or whatever it's called. Zoo has a problem getting the board back, so if you're not ahead by a good margin this could help them get it back. Or help them push over the top. I think it's good.

Tentacles are much better since they can be used off curve.

ZealousD

The tokens might have some individual effects (Call of the Wild) tied to them. Maybe the new "auto-attack".

The card is fair enough right now. I would be surprised if they had other abilities.

Pooya

that one doesn't get wiped by one card, you usually play tentacles for 4-5 mana anyways.

well, I don't care about zoo and that's the second warlock card, rip control lock, warlock is all about board flood now. Quite a bit of regression in game design here.

Pooya

So hearthpwn says ben brode confirmed that malc adds the cards at the beginning of the game.

So now I am convinced it could be quite good, but definitely fun.

yeah we knew that, I'm guessing you get them after mulligan too because the first thing you see in the game is the mulligan screen. The card must have some kind of animation which has to happen afterwards.

I'm waiting to see how its RNG is programmed. If it favors class legendary cards like discover does and if you can see what you got in the start so that you can plan. Those are game changers. Thickening your deck might not be a big deal depending on how you build your deck. I think it opens up a lot of cool deck building ideas, calling it bad is shortsighted.

Maybe zoo swaps out one Tentacles for one of these?

I wouldn't. Zoo benefits from being able to dump their hand so that Doomguard doesn't toss any cards. Tentacles can be played whenever you have spare mana, you have to hold this to turn 5. Zoo also benefits from getting as many bodies on the field as it can. That way they can get maximum Dire Dog and Juggler value, trigger Gormok, and drop free Sea Giants. I think Tentacles is the superior Zoo card.

Peléo

that card shows how awful stand against darkness is btw, paladin got ripped off big time.

Stand Against Darkness will eventually be good when we have enough Silver Hand Recruits synergy. It is sometimes played in Divine Pally because of Steward of Darkness. Also pretty decent arena card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom