• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT7/7| _ Give Tyrande | _ Blizzard: Give Amazon Money

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjaelke

Not sure what to do with this Dragon/Beast/Murlok cross synergy. None of the effects seem good enough to build a deck around it, and can't really think of a deck that just happens to already run beasts, dragons, and murlocs.

Does make me want to try Dragon Hunter or Dragon Druid, just for fun.

They want to encourage new deck arch types. I'm almost certain we'll see minions from all of those 3 tribes revealed Friday night.

Curator is really good, I can see it being played in at least fringe/niche decks.

The new card though... nah man. At least not yet anyway. There might be some new card that turns all your minions into additional tribe classes but right now this is not a real thing.

I think Curator could be a really strong card in for Midrange Paladin. Murloc Knight, Stampeding Kodo or Stranglethorn Tiger, and Azure Drake are all viable picks. If you draw at least 2 of those, it's an even better Ancient of Lore with taunt. I just need to figure out the early game since Paladin lost all of theirs in Standard format. But yeah, Zoobot doesn't do anything for Curator. They talked it up like they had a card that was going to make Curator super awesome. Zoobot is a slighty better but more situational Shattered Sun Cleric, and the fact that it can buff 3 minions will almost never come into play.

Dahbomb

Zoobot is just Blizzard recognizing even a bot could play zoo.
Oh... OH....

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

1408.gif

Fishlake

I might want to try making a beast dragon druid deck now. I like that they are suggesting it. I hope more cards appear that have the same mechanic.

New brawl was fun. I liked how I could experiment and still get off those brawl wins. I want to see how high I can get without kel breaking it. I made it up to 8 with a mid ranged shaman deck.

Nordicus

It's to hard for newbies to understand. They might get a spell that their feeble minds could not grasp. They would break down and cry in the fetal position for hours. Blizzard is trying to spare people years of mental pain and medical costs
Instead they will have the mental pain of playing with/against a Fel Reaver
single player high score brawl. It's interesting but without leaderboards seems pointless.
Yeah
Yeah, that's nuts. I wonder if that doesn't play into class balance issues as well, though. Data may prove me wrong, but I'd guess that rogue and mage have a smaller gap in winrate because they can retake a board much more easily - Rogue has backstab, that 5 damage spell, eviscerate, and other shenanigans, and mage has spell removal (esp. flamestrike). And both have pingy hero powers that can affect the board.

On the other hand, if a priest, hunter, etc. gets pushed off the board when on the coin by a 1-2-3 curve from the opponent, the game is essentially over.
You are somewhat correct, but there is one major exception.

Here are relative arena win rate improvements for each class going first vs going second from the current expansion (not absolute, because that doesn't take classes' relative strength against each other into consideration)

Warrior +11.15%
Mage +16.52%
Rogue +18.30%
Priest +19.26%

Aggregated +19.54%

Paladin +22.23%
Druid +22.93%
Shaman +23.07%
Hunter +24.47%
Warlock +27.63%

Dahbomb

I have figured out what irks me about this meta.

It's that every one of the top decks, despite being aggressive in nature, has massive late game drops.

Look at Dragon Warrior: 2 9/9s, Ragnaros, Grommash, Onxia/Deathwing, Malkorok

That's god damn as many big drops as Control Warrior!

Token Druid: Ragnaros/Sylvanas, Emperor Thaurissan, Onyxia, 2 Ancient of Wars, Cenarius.

That's almost Ramp Druid level of late game bombs.

Like why are these tempo decks have as much late game as some late game decks? They even utilize these drops better than slower decks.

ViviOggi

It's that every one of the top decks, despite being aggressive in nature, has massive late game drops.

Token Druid: Ragnaros/Sylvanas, Emperor Thaurissan, Onyxia, 2 Ancient of Wars, Cenarius.

Like why are these tempo decks have as much late game as some late game decks? They even utilize these drops better than slower decks.
We've reached the endgame of making the strongest on-curve play every single turn. With comeback tools going against Blizzard's core design philosophy and combo decks getting nerfed faster than you can say "Undertaker" there's nothing left but optimizing tempo.

I need to spectate, anyone playing right now?

BigJonsson#1492

I also need to play a friend :p

They are making a Karazahn adventure? That was my first 10-man raid in WoW, oh memories

squidyj

2 wild growth
2 innervate
2 mire keepers
2 nourish

why would you ever be surprised about big minions in a deck that runs those cards? sure the mire keepers might not always ramp and the nourish mostly just draw cards but still.

fertygo

Uh how are token druid is aggresive deck..

By their mana acceleration ofc they want mány big game.. they skip to much turn to had small minion

Dahbomb

Two Living Roots, two Violet Teachers, two Power of the Wilds, Soul of the Forest, Savage Roar... that's a lot of tempo board presence early on they can put out.

It's not in the same variety of aggressive decks but that deck can explode on the board real quick and real early.

The better lists run one Nourish as well. And pretty much every Druid deck runs double Growth and Innervate anyway.

Dahbomb

I just hope that once all the cards are revealed and they still look underwhelming... people don't actually put down real money into the thing and instead just get it through gold. Even if you start saving up gold now you will have enough to buy all of them.

But this never happens and people end up pre-ordering anyway.

fertygo

Two Living Roots, two Violet Teachers, two Power of the Wilds, Soul of the Forest, Savage Roar... that's a lot of tempo board presence early on they can put out.

It's not in the same variety of aggressive decks but that deck can explode on the board real quick and real early.

The better lists run one Nourish as well. And pretty much every Druid deck runs double Growth and Innervate anyway.

Its still weird, you made a point about aggresive deck that run many big drop and pointing out deck with ramping focus, like what your point

And I'm pretty sure token druid player not desire running out of card, much less in case from Dragon Warrior player

Token Druid, or shit at this point its just simply Ramp Druid with some list run Master Jouster now does resolve around big drop

BTW there will be no pre-order for Karazhan, Brode says.

I just hope that once all the cards are revealed and they still look underwhelming... people don't actually put down real money into the thing and instead just get it through gold. Even if you start saving up gold now you will have enough to buy all of them.

Gotta get that fancy card back.

wiibomb

I gonna preorder it...

because I've got money saved from amazon deals like the one right now with $10 free.
However, even if I didn't had money saved, I think it is better to save the gold for free packs and then use the real money on the adventures.

I am guaranteed 45 new cards which will be used on future decks, while on packs I'm not guaranteed anything, I could get a few dust out of lots of real money.

EDIT: BTW, when will I be able to preorder??

No takers :(

I am logging off and going to bed, might get this done tomorrow.

I added you, I'll be online in a few hours, gotta get home from work!

I need to spectate, anyone playing right now?

BigJonsson#1492

I also need to play a friend :p

They are making a Karazahn adventure? That was my first 10-man raid in WoW, oh memories

I added you.

and yeah, it is wild adventure.. as wild as it gets

NBtoaster

I think this adventure already has a higher ratio of usable cards than LOE.

EDIT: BTW, when will I be able to preorder??

No preorder this time.

https://twitter.com/bdbrode/status/760328883572871168

Or what? Everyone in here is going to get the adventure anyway.

I was about to say "nah I don't feel enticed to buy this adventure yet, since none of the revealed cards fit in decks I'd like to play/build..." and then it struck me.

Barnes in evolve shaman.

Evolve shaman is a (still super unrefined) deck where you play minions that have poor stats but a strong battlecry (fire elemental, tuskarr totemic), then transform them with evolve or master of evolution to hopefully get a regular statline body to create big value. Alternatively, play minions that have a high base mana cost but cost-reducing effects (nerubian prophet, thing from below) and evolve those to get high-mana minions of low-mana drops. Here's Kripp playing a regular and C'Thun-themed version.

Now, imagine Barnes in this deck. Barnes himself is an understatted minion with a strong battlecry, so the synergy is already there. But the real value is found in the 1/1 he summons. Assuming the 1/1 debuff does not carry over on evolve, evolution effects will turn that 1/1 x mana minion into a full-bodied x+1 mana minion. For example, on turn 5 you could play Barnes + evolve and get a 5 mana body and a x+1 mana body. The dream would be getting a 1/1 Onyxia and turning it into Deathwing or Y'Shaarj, but even a random 4-drop from tuskarr totemic would be quite nice.

The weakness here is that if you don't have an evolve effect to play, the Barnes summons are gonna be underwhelming compared to say, a deathrattle deck where Barnes can drag up Sylvanas or Cairne. The only minions I can think off in evolve shaman that are better than vanilla 1/1s are Brann, C'Thun's chosen, thing from below and any totems (because they reduced thing from below cost).

wiibomb

I was about to say "nah I don't feel enticed to buy this adventure yet, since none of the revealed cards fit in decks I'd like to play/build..." and then it struck me.

Barnes in evolve shaman.

Evolve shaman is a (still super unrefined) deck where you play minions that have poor stats but a strong battlecry (fire elemental, tuskarr totemic), then transform them with evolve or master of evolution to hopefully get a regular statline body to create big value. Alternatively, play minions that have a high base mana cost but cost-reducing effects (nerubian prophet, thing from below) and evolve those to get high-mana minions of low-mana drops. Here's Kripp playing a regular and C'Thun-themed version.

Now, imagine Barnes in this deck. Barnes himself is an understatted minion with a strong battlecry, so the synergy is already there. But the real value is found in the 1/1 he summons. Assuming the 1/1 debuff does not carry over on evolve, evolution effects turn that 1/1 x mana minion into a full-bodied x+1 mana minion. For example, on turn 5 you could play Barnes + evolve and get a 5 mana body and a x+1 mana body, for 5 mana.

The weakness here is that if you don't have an evolve effect to play, the Barnes summons are gonna be underwhelming compared to say, a deathrattle deck where Barnes can drag up Sylvanas or Cairne. The only minions I can think off in evolve shaman that are better than vanilla 1/1s are Brann, C'Thun's chosen, thing from below and any totems (because they reduced thing from below cost).

I'm seriously thinking Barnes can fit every deck...

who wouldn't want a copy of a minion from the deck? even better with Barnes body, which is pretty good for a card with that battlecry

I don't know, I'm still too new, but I like that card

Barnes is pretty sick in evolve Shaman for sure. The problem is, I don't really think evolve Shaman is all that great. It's a fun deck though.

Yeah, I love the concept but there's a reason why we rarely see it. Evolve is inconsistent and a bit of a win-more card. Still, Barnes seems like a great fit on paper and we haven't seen any of the shaman cards yet. Here's hoping.

Also I'd like to see a hunter spell or two since I want to try out yogg-and-load hunter.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yeah, I love the concept but there's a reason why we rarely see it. Evolve is inconsistent and a bit of a win-more card. Still, Barnes seems like a great fit on paper and we haven't seen any of the shaman cards yet. Here's hoping.

Also I'd like to see a hunter spell or two since I want to try out yogg-and-load hunter.

Shaman has too many cards that will turn into vanilla 1/1's after Barnes pulls them. Totem Golem, Flamewreathed Faceless, Tuskarr Totemic.... that just hurts the consistency too much imo.

Best way of going about this game for me is buying adventures with money and saving gold for expansion packs.

Sheroking

This single player Brawl? Is it even possible to lose?

It seems great for those "Win 2 or 5 as <insert class here>" quests.

Only if you concede.

On the other hand, I guess it's possible to win outright. I did 1300+ damage to it and Stormwind just exploded. Didn't think you could win like that.

patchday

Or what? Everyone in here is going to get the adventure anyway.

Yeppers. All the cards could blow chunks and I'd still get the adventure cause yeah- I actually enjoy going through them! (Well at least I think I do but maybe getting decent cards sweetens the deal honestly)

Oscar

Went on a decent run using Dragon Warrior just now.

Didn't lose a game from rank 20 to rank 14.

Late game back to back Call of the Wilds (despite clearing his board beforehand) fucked me.

Damage limit is 1000 so get it to 999 and then hit it with the biggest attack you can.

Also if you want to lose fast, use Cursed Blade or play Warlock.

I agree with nbtoaster. I did a soft count and came up with 21-23 good cards, and I was being a bit generous.

In this set so far, I think way more than half look promising so far. So the ratio of good cards seems higher, from the cards they have revealed thus far.

NBtoaster

WHAT??????????????????

There are a lot of cards in LOE that have not found a use or are just bad.

Tinyfin, Tomb Spider, Gorillabot, Anubisath Sentinel, Fossilized Devilsaur, Ancient Shade, Eerie Statue, Summoning Stone, Wobbling Runts, Djinni of Zephyrs, Naga Sea Witch, Jungle Moonkin, Dart Trap, Animated Armor, Sacred Trial, Pit snake, Rumbling Elemental, Everyfin is Awesome, Curse of Rafaam, Cursed Blade.

That's 20/45 cards.

Of the 16 cards revealed from Karazhan, I would guess only Protect the King, Ethereal Peddler, Pompous Thespian and Moroes are unusable.

Tinyfin, Tomb Spider, Gorillabot, Anubisath Sentinel, Fossilized Devilsaur, Ancient Shade, Eerie Statue, Summoning Stone, Wobbling Runts, Djinni of Zephyrs, Naga Sea Witch, Jungle Moonkin, Dart Trap, Animated Armor, Sacred Trial, Pit snake, Rumbling Elemental, Everyfin is Awesome, Curse of Rafaam, Cursed Blade.

That's 20/45 cards.

Of the 16 cards revealed from Karazhan, I would guess only Protect the King, Ethereal Peddler, Pompous Thespian and Moroes are unusable.

You are being VERY generous.

squidyj

That's 20/45 cards.

.......you poor naive fools.

squidyj

I see 4 cards that are out and out unplayable, 3 cards that are borderline unplayable or wait and see, and 3 cards that are just kind of bad and probably won't be played.
4 solid to great cards
and 3 cards that are okay or have potential.

correctly identifying where I placed prince malchezaar gets you zero points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom