• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you Rate the Nintendo Direct + Indie Showcase?

How do you rate The Nintendo Direct on August 27?

• A

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • B

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • C

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • D

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • E

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • F

Votes: 19 14.7%
  • S - Shit for no Silksong

Votes: 17 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
Rate It​

Yakuza Kiwami Coming to Nintendo Switch in October​

The (remake of the) first Yakuza game is coming to Nintendo Switch after the series was absent on the platform for years.

Revealed alongside an October 24, 2024 release date, Yakuza Kiwami tells the story of Kiryu Kazuma as he battles through the criminal underground of Tokyo, Japan.

Faced with ten years in prison for a murder he didn't commit, Kiryu reemerges in the city with a whole new world to comprehend, as the Tokyo he knew in the 90s has long disappeared.

Castlevania Dominus Collection Brings Multiple DS Games to Switch Today​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_5vy5.jpg

Four classic Castlevania games are coming to the Nintendo Switch, joining the Castlevania Classics Collection and Castlevania Advance Collection already available on the platform. Even better, they're available later today.

Suikoden 1 and 2 HD Remaster Arrives in March 2025​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_xanc.jpg

After an unexpected delay and quietly vanishing for a year, Suikoden 1 and 2 HD Remaster has reemerged with a new release date of March 6, 2025.

Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma Announced for Switch​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_72sv.jpg

Rune Factory: Guardians of Azuma is bringing its nature reviving and town building adventure to Nintendo Switch. The game arrives sometime in spring 2025, though no more specific release date was announced.

"The classic action role-playing game and life-simulation gameplay beloved by Rune Factory fans the world over is boldly reimagined in Guardians of Azuma, an all-new adventure set in the eastern lands of Azuma," the synopsis reads.

"A once-thriving land, this never-before-seen region was struck by a terrible calamity. The gods of nature vanished, causing the land to wither and the people to suffer. For the very first time, play as an Earth Dancer and call upon unique powers to battle blighted monsters and restore the land, people, villages, and even gods to their natural glory."

Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2 Coming to Switch​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_sdq1.jpg

The spooktacular Five Nights at Freddy's: Help Wanted 2 is coming to Nintendo Switch after releasing on other platforms in 2023.

My Sims Officially Revealed for Nintendo Switch​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_f6sm.jpg

Following a series of leaks earlier in August, Nintendo has officially revealed MySims as the first The Sims game coming to Nintendo Switch.

Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics Arrives in September​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_1xsc.jpg

The Marvel vs. Capcom Fighting Collection: Arcade Classics comes to Nintendo Switch digitally on September 12, 2024 and physically on November 22, 2024.

Fitness Boxing 3: Your Personal Trainer Coming to Switch​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_mm5y.jpg

Your very own personal trainer is coming to Nintendo Switch via Fitness Boxing 3: Your Persona Trainer.

SpongeBob Affiliate Patrick Is the Star of His Own Game​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_82e7.jpg

SpongeBob Squarepants: The Patrick Star Game is officially coming to Nintendo Switch.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 1st Coming to Switch​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_rxap.jpg

A somewhat mysterious game called The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 1st is coming to Nintendo Switch.

Goat Simulator 3 Available on Nintendo Switch Today​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_3nfk.jpg

Goat Simulator 3 is coming to Nintendo Switch later today, August 27, 2024, at least digitally. Its physical edition launches later this year.

Star Overdrive Launches in 2025 as a Timed Switch Exclusive​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_vscm.jpg

Star Overdrive launches as a timed Nintendo Switch exclusive in 2025, letting players can explore a vast planet and defeat myriad beasties using their trusty hover board.

Tetris Celebrates 40 Years in New Collection​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_3wu1.jpg

A collection of Tetris games is being released in celebration of the series' 40th anniversary.

A new mode called Tetris Time Warp will also let players jump between different eras of Tetris in the same game, from the original to the latest. It arrives later in 2024.

Balatro Teams Up With The Witcher 3, Vampire Survivors, and More​

Beloved deck building roguelite Balatro is teaming up with myriad other popular titles including The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, Vampire Survivors, and Among Us.

The collaborations appear to contain themed decks with cards styled after characters from each game, potentially with exciting new effects

A Dave the Diver deck, for instance, changes the number cards to fruit, and the Among Us deck seems to include death animations for playing certain hands.

Neva Gets October Release Date​

Super stylish narrative adventure Neva received a release date at the Nintendo Direct Indie Showcase: October 15, 2024.

Moth Kubit Gets New Trailer​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_q97p.jpg

Bizarre topdown role-playing game Moth Kubit received a new trailer and details at the Nintendo Direct.

Sea of Stars Dev Shares Trailer for Throes of the Watchmaker DLC​

Sabotage Studio has shared a new trailer for Sea of Stars' highly anticipated expansion Throes of the Watchmaker.

PowerWash Simulator Says Get Outta Ma Swamp​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_3h56.jpg

PowerWash Simulator is getting Shrek DLC, meaning players can soon take their powerwasher to the ogre's famous swamp and clean it up for good.

Coffee Talk Tokyo Is a Super Cute Game About Chatting and Drinking Coffee​

screenshot-832-1724768133231_m1qv.jpg

Coffee Talk Tokyo is a super cute game blending everyone's three favorite things: coffee, talking, and Tokyo.

Date Everything Lets You Date Everything in October​

nintendo-direct-august-2024-everything-announced_c2c5.jpg

Date Everything is taking the dating simulator genre to new heights when it arrives October 24, 2024.

Wario Land-Inspired Platformer Pizza Tower Is Out Today​

The Wario Land-inspired platformer Pizza Tower is available today on Nintendo Switch.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SUIKODEN/10

Sojiro

Went with a C. It would have been lower had Trails remake and Yakuza not saved the day. Holy fuck they need to fire the two dipshit narrators of the indie world part, they are insufferable.

Games I really want:
Trails Rmake
Yakuza Kiwami
Morsels
Fighting Game Collection 2
DQ III HD (already knew about this though)

Looks interesting, on my radar but will wait to see:
Rune Factory
Tales of game
Atelier Lumia
Pizza Tower

I went into this with pretty low expectations and had a couple of must get games and a few other ones I am interested in. Loads of remasters/remakes/collections, which isn't too surprising to see as Switch support begins to wind down. At least some of those collections have a lot of value on the titles included, but if you already own the games it's hard to justify them.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
C, the Trails remake was a nice surprise and that Morsels game looks fun.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I feel like we are near the end right now.

Get ready people for five years of tribulations..

blacktout

It's a B for me, mostly because I went in with zero expectations and was pleasantly surprised that several games I have been hoping would come to Switch are finally getting ported (Pizza Tower, Yakuza, Stalker). Tetris Forever and the new Rune Factory game look like they have potential too, though I hope the new approach they're taking to Rune Factory doesn't mean they've eliminated the ability to enslave monsters and force them to work on your farm, lol.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Indie: G for Gross (I’ll dream about my fridge wanting to fuck me for weeks).

Direct: C for Collections (I’m seriously happy about the old stuff becoming available again, but you know the system is on life support when even the farming sims are fee and far between).

Cattlyst

I voted D. Just nothing there that appeals to me personally but I appreciate others will have different tastes and preferences. I don’t honestly think there’s a great deal left that Nintendo can do or tempt third parties with at this point. It’s definitely the dog days of the Switch’s life so it’s to be expected I guess. Roll on Switch 2!

I would say a B- for content even though most of the good stuff was multiplatform.

You guys can mock collections as much as you want, but I'm really looking forward to Tetris Forever, the Capcom sets, Castlevania, and Suikoden.

cireza

Gold Member
This is bad, I put an F.

Indie had nothing going for it, and third parties simply gave up. Collections of games I already own and random ports of old shit. Lowest effort possible.

A rating for me.

Games of show:

Star Overdrive
Capcom Fighting Collection 2

My wishlisted games:

Star Overdrive
Capcom Fighting Collection 2
Tetris Forever
Castlevania Dominus Collection
Pizza Tower
Metal Slug Tactics
Pico Park 2
Peglin
Morsels
Moth Kubit

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'd give it a C or a D. The Trails in the Sky remake reveal was awesome, but they buried it in a sizzle reel. Dragon Quest III and Suikoden I & II (good to see that resurface) look great, but we've known they're on the way for a long time. There was really nothing in the way of announcements that was compelling for me. The indie portion was a complete throwaway.

Definitely some really cool games in there, but it wasn't much of a showcase.

Gambit2483

I understand these are people's personal scores and opinions but I don't understand the hate on "ports" and older games.

Not everyone was born before the year 2000. Not everyone owned a Dreamcast, Nintendo DS, or PS3. I celebrate when devs go out of their way to bring back older or inaccessible classic games for modern platforms/younger generations. If you can't understand or respect that...

cz6gnPn.gif

Woopah

I understand these are people's personal scores and opinions but I don't understand the hate on "ports" and older games.

Not everyone was born before the year 2000. Not everyone owned a Dreamcast, Nintendo DS, or PS3. I celebrate when devs go out of their way to bring back older or inaccessible classic games for modern platforms/younger generations. If you can't understand or respect that...

cz6gnPn.gif
Bringing back games in this way is fantastic. But I would say that, when it comes to rating an event, new games are worth more credit than ports.

B but not due to indies, but due to collections and ports- seriously, Castlevania, Suikoden (i know it should of already been out), and legends of heroes trials (a game trilogy that should of been on switch years ago, shit the vita had it).

Tetris collection and my sims will give me something to buy my wife. I can't complain there as it means more games for her switch.
Yakuza - nice, but already have them all on steam/steamdeck and ps5.

MrMephistoX

Hard not to get excited about the DS Castlevanias since it’s the first time they’re being ported to a non-DS and the FIghting Collection 2 looks solid. Solid B although I’m not sure how Nintendo defines Indy when all of these are major publishers?

Jubenhimer

It was okay. The fact that this was a double feature (Indie World + Partners Showcase) tells me that everyone is gearing up for Switch 2 announcements (Nintendo included), and this was just meant to get all of the Switch 1 only announcements out of the way.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Overall a B for me (Castlevania collection and Trails remake was enough for the B...but we also get the Suikoden collection!!)
They have a good slate for the rest of the year, at least for me.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
D. The suikoden was just a date for a game we already knew about. The trails remake is the big game of the show, and is why this isn’t a F.

near

Gold Member
A

Expected nothing and got a lot. Castlevania Dominus Collection, already purchased not much to say here, 3 renowned games at a fair price. Neva release date, I played Gris earlier this year and to my surprise absolutely loved it, the studio's next game is a day one. Suikoden back from the dead, release date is confirmed even though its quite far away we've got a cemented date to look forward to. Then the Capcom collections. Capcom Fighting Collection 2, this is amazing news because I haven't played CvS2 in aeons and I loved that game. City of the Wolves has got me hyped for fighting games again, and the MvC Collection release date was also confirmed here for September. Excellent event all round for me.

Muffdraul

C. There was absolutely nothing in it that interested me, I hope it was basically just the last bit of business to clear off the deck to make way for a fucking Switch 2 reveal in the next Direct.

C for a varied decent showing at the end of the Switch's life but without too many standouts. In terms of new stuff, we saw Castlevania DS collection, Sea of Stars DLC announcement, Morsels, and Suikoden 1 & 2 HD. Definitely more than I was expecting.

Top Bottom