• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

zOh7DsD.jpg

Specifications

• Network: Over 155 carriers globally
• CPU: 1.7 GHz quad-core Snapdragon 600
• Screen: 4.7-inch 1920x1080 Super LCD 3 (469 PPI)
• RAM: 2GB
• Storage: 32GB or 64GB
• Camera: 4MP rear ("UltraPixel")/ 2.1MP front
• Battery: 2300 mAh Li-Ion
• Price: $199.99 (32Gb) or $299.99 (64GB)

2I1ac8P.png

vv8kKsl.png

bsFnh1J.png

nSjvAN1.png

1QLTH65.png

What are the reviewers saying?

"The HTC One is the first smartphone in a long time that we’ve been drop dead excited to use every single
day during the review period. We’re still in love with it and carrying it day-to-day, because it offers so many
features that can’t be found in any other product on the market right now. From the stellar camera and its
highlight reels to the aluminum body and stellar screen, the HTC One offers a truly first-class experience.
HTC didn’t only hit this thing out of the park, it hit it into orbit, where it will aggressively compete with
Samsung’s Galaxy S4. It’s so close to perfect we’re awarding it a well-deserved 9.5 / 10 and an editor’s choice.
"

TechnoBuffalo

"The first time you see the One, there's a "Whoa..." moment. And after you hold it, and use it,
that astonishment bleeds into awe. The One commands respect.
From a hardware design
perspective, this phone is unparalleled. It was machined from a solid block on aluminum, each piece
taking 200 minutes to carve out. It's pretty light (5.04 ounces) and thin (0.36 inches) but it feels rock solid."

Gizmodo

"The One camera truly outshines almost everything else in low-light situations. It usually produces
better shots at night than the Nokia Lumia 920, and comes in second only to the current imaging king,
the Nokia 808 PureView. We were amazed by how much errant light it picked up; the One could snag
perfectly usable shots on pitch-black streets, and the OIS worked like a charm. The only time noise
actually became a problem was in extremely dark scenarios, but otherwise we were quite impressed
by how clear most of the images came out. We were blown away by how much light the One camera
was able to grab at night.
"

Engadget

"But more interesting than all of that is that BlinkFeed actually works much better than we thought
it would
. In the few days we had between turning on the phone and it becoming part of the daily
routine, we found that time and again we returned to the feed to just get a feel for what's going on rather
than opening the specific Flipboard, Facebook or Twitter apps themselves. We particularly like the fact that
tapping an article will show the picture and text in a reader-style mode, without the need to open the browser."

Techradar

"One of the reasons the calling sounds so good is down to the attention lavished on the HTC One
speakers. Going under the somewhat cringe-worthy name BoomSound, you have two forward-facing
speakers that offer really good performance. Gone are the days of tinny smartphone audio, the HTC One
really performs in this area. The speakers not only offer great volume, but the stereo effect is also
commendable. You get the sort of separation you want for watching videos or playing games: firing-up
a movie on Netflix or playing a game like Real Racing 3, with its thumping soundtrack, the audio is
really impressive, easy outclassing other smartphones.
"

Pocket-Lint

"With the HTC One we can safely say that the company meets the expectations. The device features
a 4.7 inches Super LCD 3 display with a resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels. The screen is extremely
detailed, sharp, and for the tech geeks - pixel density comes at the whopping 468ppi. Colors are stunning,
they just out at you with deep blacks, vivid reds and blues, and a great contrast. Viewing angles are also
amazing.
"

Phone Arena

Interface

2013-03-13%2001.27.52-900-100.jpg
2013-03-13%2001.29.06-900-100.jpg
2013-03-13%2001.29.28-900-100.jpg

Blinkfeed

2013-03-13%2001.29.41-900-100.jpg
2013-03-13%2001.32.17-900-100.jpg
2013-03-13%2001.32.51-900-100.jpg

Camera Comparisons

This is shot using the LG Optimus Pro, 10 MP
LG_02-900-90.jpg

HTC One
HTC_One_camera_03-900-90.jpg

Dark shot with Galaxy S3
Dark_Graffiti_Samsung-900-90.jpg

Same shot with HTC One
Dark_Graffiti_HTC-900-90.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S3
Low_Light_samsung-900-90.jpg

HTC One
Low_light_HTC-900-90.jpg

You can fix the exposure levels using an on-screen tap; here the rail is in focus.
HTC_One_camera_06-900-90.jpg

And here, the distance. The contrast is impressive.
HTC_One_camera_07-900-90.jpg

When can I get one?

HTC has said the One will be released worldwide sometime in April 2013.

Which carriers will have it?

The specific carriers aren't mentioned worldwide, but expect the major ones in each region.

Extensive camera comparison by TechnoBuffalo: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/12/htc-one-vs-latest-smartphones-camera-comparison/

Reviews

Engadget
TechRadar
The Verge
Gizmodo
Phone Arena
Pocket-Lint
CNET

KingRAW

Neo Member
I just got a call from my local Sprint rep and I'm first on the list!!! Can't wait for this phone as I'm still using a two and a half year old HTC EVO. This was the only upgrade worth getting for me.

TUSR

Banned
Gorgeous phone, the curved back looks kind of strange but hopefully ergonomics make up for that.

That's a quite a bad ass phone. Up there with the Xperia Z in the Android beauty pageant and is much more desirable to me than the boring Galaxy S4.

I'm not anywhere close to breaking up with my iPhone, but if I were, the One would be the first girl I call.

Looks great, but HTC still uses that mega half-assed unlocking method. I really wish they would let you S-OFF your phone if you wanted to.

Ash_69

I would buy one immediately had I not have procured my htc one x with a 24 month contract.

DAT FORM FACTOR.

I want to get rid of my S3, which I got back in August, and get this. But I don't want to pay the non-subsidized price. :(

Edit: Just saw no Verizon, wtf?

I just heard about this the other day when my dad sent me an email about upgrading the OS of my HTC One X. That is one slick looking phone.

Jacobi

Banned
Already had the chance to try it. Definitely seemed next-gen to my iphone 5. The design is awesome and the camera definitely better for low light scenes

VanWinkle

Such an amazing looking phone. If I wasn't under contract on the S3 and if Verizon carried it, I would definitely get this.

xenist

Looks great, but HTC still uses that mega half-assed unlocking method. I really wish they would let you S-OFF your phone if you wanted to.

As far as I know S-OFF only stops you from messing with the radio. You don't need to be S-OFF to run custom ROMs. And yeah, having a one-click solution would be great but the last HTC phone I rooted took an hour and a half including installing the new ROM.

Back to the phone though.

I want it. Bad. It looks so fucking sweet.

Fezan

Love HTC phones but what is with weird beats logo on the back ?
Also ditch sense , give memory expansuon option and next time dont use ultra pixel etc

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I'm surprised Engadget said it did better low light shots than the 920. Still not comfortable with a 4mp camera, though. The camera and the battery life are my main concerns with this phone, it looks beautiful and right up there with Nokia, apple, and Sony designs.

Another concern is the updates, any idea when this phone gets 4.2?

PSGames

I hope HTC really advertises it. This is the first HTC phone since the original Evo that has my attention.

Cipherr

That camera! And my god:

original.jpg

Those white line accents against that silver is just gorgeous. The white EVO-LTE was incredible, but they really took it a step further this time.

I'm surprised Engadget said it did better low light shots than the 920. Still not comfortable with a 4mp camera, though. The camera and the battery life are my main concerns with this phone, it looks beautiful and right up there with Nokia, apple, and Sony designs.

Another concern is the updates, any idea when this phone gets 4.2?
that's the interesting part with the camera. It was a good experiment and it definitely has its advantages like being good at lowlight. But being only 4mp means it captures not a lot of detail and a lot of the shots, especially the macro ones from what I've seen look lacking. Still a solid camera with good low light capabilities.

Husker86

I want to get rid of my S3, which I got back in August, and get this. But I don't want to pay the non-subsidized price. :(

Edit: Just saw no Verizon, wtf?

Verizon hardly ever takes HTC flagships at HTC's original design. They have to order their own customized version of the phone that no other carrier has. It's bullshit and I'm glad I'm not giving Verizon my money anymore (though I do miss LTE!)

Ninja Dom

Looks nice but it just won't sell. And how long will this remain their flagship phone for?

We've had these HTC flagships,

Sensation
Sensation XL & XE
One X
One X Plus
Butterfly
And now the One

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I was going to probably buy this phone for my GF as she had an old HTC Inspire 4g that she liked. Her old phone was half broken, and she needed a replacement to which she said she'd like another HTC Phone.

HTC ended up hooking her up with a free One X+ as a replacement phone though. So she is good to go for now, and I'm still rocking my One X(L). I'm not looking to upgrade till 2014 quite honestly even though I like the look of the new HTC device.

that's the interesting part with the camera. It was a good experiment and it definitely has its advantages like being good at lowlight. But being only 4mp means it captures not a lot of detail and a lot of the shots, especially the macro ones from what I've seen look lacking. Still a solid camera with good low light capabilities.

The pictures from the camera all look to have awesome detail from all the sites I've looked at.

RS4-

Can't remember which review it was, but they were slamming the video recording abilities. So that is kind of giving me pause from really wanting it.

Top Bottom