• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Soooooooooo its a new month and this month is special guys. MAJORAS MASK PACK AND 2 NEW CHARACTERS ARE COMING.

Get hype...we very well may get Skull Kid given how hard they've listened to the fans. At least I hope so.

Oh yeah.

Candidates:
- Skull Kid (likely because it's a well-known character and main villain of Majora's Mask; unlikely because most of his moveset is already in the game).
- Tingle (likely because he's a mascot that has been in many games; unlikely because he's not that popular in the west).
- Happy Mask's Salesman (likely because he's unique, could have a cool moveset and is a well-known character from Majora's Mask; unlikely because he's not recognized as a fighter).
- Deku Link (likely because it's Link's first form in Majora's Mask; unlikely because it would be boring).
- Mikau (likely because there's only one Zora in the game, and Mikau is popular in communities; unlikely because he's a minor character).
- The two ranch sisters (likely because Japan likes wacky, unexpected characters (like Agitha) and these sisters could have interesting UFO-related moves; unlikely because they're minor characters and it would be too awesome for humanity).

Who else is a candidate?

K-A-Deman

The adventure map is the fucking nightmare child of Zelda, Dynasty Warriors, and Nick Arcade that will drain away countless hours of your life. I am probably 60%-70% done with just unlocking the board. Not counting that I still need to get A-rank on them and unlock everything in them. Then there are three more of these afterwards (so far).

Still trying to claw my way to the bottom left area of the Master Quest map, which google informs is the best way to level up. Too bad my Zelda is too under-leveled and under-equipped to get an A rank. I have no idea how to unlock "Festival of Cuccos" either, but I hear it is a nightmare.

If the festival is the
level with Ganondorf and a bunch of bullshit fights involving Territorial Cuccos.
, then Unlocking it was the least hassle involved...

bobohoro

The lure of the loot adds a 'one more go' attraction (something that Dragon's Crown also hooked me with) and the whole crafting aspect scratches that Monster Hunter itch that my limited gaming time no longer lets me experience. The fact that Hyrule Warriors has kept me away from Bayonetta 2, the sequel to my favourite game of the previous generation is testament to just how good it is.

I actually think that the loot and crafting is done pretty poorly. Like, there is so much that they could have done to make it interesting and fun, but instead rely on randomness, restrictions and multiple layers of grinding. I still do it, but only on the side, while enjoying my combat and on-the-spot-thinking, but it is in no way of primary concern and going for optimal weapons/full badge sets is something I definitely refuse to do, not even for one single character. Koei is so weird with their smithing stuff, they get it right every few years just to totally mess it up again, doesn't matter which series or sub-series, it's totally directionless of them. Which is why I still hope for some system adjustments in the coming DLC, or another big patch, or heck another expansion DLC, because they usually at least make it workable with those.

That said, I'm at roughly 140 hours and counting. Finishing up Master Quest map right now, still have some heart containers in every mode and map, as well as the final 5 skulltulas of Legend Mode. But since I still don't feel comfortable with tackling large parts of the Twilight Map, I guess I'll do the other stuff first and see what the MM pack brings.

SoldnerKei

Soooooooooo its a new month and this month is special guys. MAJORAS MASK PACK AND 2 NEW CHARACTERS ARE COMING.

Get hype...we very well may get Skull Kid given how hard they've listened to the fans. At least I hope so.

damn, I forgot when this would be released, that said

candidates
Skull Kid: obvious reason, he was the villian avatar almost all the game.
Majora: it would be awesome to finally use this guy, the way he fights is pretty bizarre and has some attacks that could fit in this game perfectly.
Happy Mask's Salesman: focus spirit would make him do his scary face, that's all I need
Kafei: because why the hell not? xD
Igos du Ikana: iirc back then when this game was announced there was the rumor that a Stalfos was going to be playable, but I know it's unlikely

as for the transformations Masks, the only ones I could see happening are
Deku Mask: because we have a Goron and Zora already
Fierce Deity Mask: Link with Two hands Sword, thou yeah it could be a weapon & skin, but if they pulled off the "new" character with true Midna, they could do it with FDM

and I still have a lot to do with this game, haven't even finish the first adventure map lol

Megatron

I was really torn between this game and Bayo 2. Interestingly all the best buys in my area were out of this game but had bayo 2. I was able to finally track down a copy and bought it.
and I also bought Bayo 2
Loving it so far!

I was really torn between this game and Bayo 2. Interestingly all the best buys in my area were out of this game but had bayo 2. I was able to finally track down a copy and bought it.
and I also bought Bayo 2
Loving it so far!

A win-win if I ever read of one. Enjoy both of them! :)

rhandino

Banned
Oh man, January is here and this mean more DLC for this, yay!

My hopes for playable characters are Skull Kid with Majora's Mask and Tingle using the Tingle Tuner (lol) or the captain of the Gerudo Pirates.

And now my hopes for the costumes are sky high since the ones from the Twilight Princess pack were so awesome that I don't know what to expect... maybe Anju for Zelda, Kafei for Link and Dancer for Lana? jajaja but I would love that other characters receive the costumes (Impa need more costumes, maybe a Gerudo Pirate costume)

----

Also this game REALLY need more stages and music... I will pay mad money for them =/

Blues1990

Oh man, January is here and this mean more DLC for this, yay!

My hopes for playable characters are Skull Kid with Majora's Mask and Tingle using the Tingle Tuner (lol) or the captain of the Gerudo Pirates.

And now my hopes for the costumes are sky high since the ones from the Twilight Princess pack were so awesome that I don't know what to expect... maybe Anju for Zelda, Kafei for Link and Dancer for Lana? jajaja but I would love that other characters receive the costumes (Impa need more costumes, maybe a Gerudo Pirate costume)

----

Also this game REALLY need more stages and music... I will pay mad money for them =/

The sky is truly the limit for what future content will be added this month. Skull Kid (with Majora's Mask) & Tingle are the most likely candidates as playable characters, but given how unexpected the costumes were in the Twilight Princess pack, I'm honestly not going to expect them to be chosen.

tm24

Just finally opened this game up after getting it from BB earlier. Loving it so far. It's dumb and amazing like all Musou games. I guess this game has a Network feature, so if anyone wants to add me i'm mightytm24

Trike

My expectations/hopes

Likely: Tingle, Skull Kid, Happy Mask Salesman
Unlikely: Kid Link w/masks, Fierce Diety Link, Igos du Ikana
So unlikely it will probably happen: Moon, Giants, Anju/Kafei, Cremia and/or Romani

Tons of potential for costumes though.

If the festival is the
level with Ganondorf and a bunch of bullshit fights involving Territorial Cuccos.
, then Unlocking it was the least hassle involved...

I unlocked it, didn't know I needed a recorder for it. It was annoying, but if you blaze through it and ignore the disputes it isn't bad.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So uh, started playing the story mode with my boyfriend, and we unlocked Ganondorf. And he's level 1. And mandatory for the next mission.

Do we need to grind him (training him at the dojo would use all our rupees easily and barely level him up) or is the next mission calibrated for a level 1 character?

Nohar

So uh, started playing the story mode with my boyfriend, and we unlocked Ganondorf. And he's level 1. And mandatory for the next mission.

Do we need to grind him (training him at the dojo would use all our rupees easily and barely level him up) or is the next mission calibrated for a level 1 character?

You don't need to grind him. His missions are tailored for the low level he joins with.

Never play lvl 1 characters. Been a while since I played now but leveling to lvl 14/15 costs almost no rupees. After that it gets a little expensive, but you might as well use the training dojo until he is lvl 14. And of course buy all the moveset badges before playing.

Nohar

That indeed goes without saying, but like LonelyGreyWolf pointed out, unlock all their moves beforehand.
For the Legend Mode, you really don't need to use the dojo as long as your are playing on Normal (though leveling up characters who just joined lately, like
Zelda
, can help since they will be quite weak otherwise). For the Adventure Mode, however, using the dojo is mandatory. You just can't complete some missions in time to get Rank A without a good enough level and weapon.

Any idea of when we might hear about the MM's pack?

One day before it releases

EZ1Homc.png

shaowebb

Alllllllllmost got all the alt outfits unlocked now. I got all the tier 3 weapons, some of the 8 bit, and I just need a couple more alts from the Twilight Map. I should have these maps buttoned up by the time MM hits. Can't wait to see the new cast. I had some weird dream last night that the DLC was announced and it was two characters I didn't remember and everyone was all like "what you don't remember THEM?! They were the whole show!"

Stupid dream logic. Stay outta my Skullkid filled future.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That indeed goes without saying, but like LonelyGreyWolf pointed out, unlock all their moves beforehand.
Yeah, already did that.
For the Legend Mode, you really don't need to use the dojo as long as your are playing on Normal
We're playing the Legend Mode on Hard. Will playing those characters (Ganon and Wizzro) at level 1 for Ganon's level be a problem then?

bobohoro

e_e
I will, when I next play, but I'm asking because I thought this was the community thread where we could ask and discuss such things...

I think you interpret LGW's answer harsher than it was intented, since it is a fairly reasonable one. The perceived difficulty varies from user to user, as well as the tolerance for spongy bosses. So there are people who can deal just fine with hard mode on Lv1, while others do not have the skills or patience for it and use the many options available in the game to alter the situation. It's perfectly doable, although I don't see any harm in spending a few rupees to level up both characters first, they aren't that useful for anything else after all.

Trike

Yeah, already did that.

We're playing the Legend Mode on Hard. Will playing those characters (Ganon and Wizzro) at level 1 for Ganon's level be a problem then?

If you have been playing Legend mode on hard the entire time and have been starting off with level 1 characters then you will be fine. The level difficulty is skewed for Ganondorf, so a level 1 Wizzro should be fine as well. Plus they are the same element. It should be just as doable as it was for the earlier new characters you tried on hard. The only way it would be pretty much impossible if it was level 1 on hero mode.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think you interpret LGW's answer harsher than it was intented, since it is a fairly reasonable one. The perceived difficulty varies from user to user, as well as the tolerance for spongy bosses. So there are people who can deal just fine with hard mode on Lv1, while others do not have the skills or patience for it and use the many options available in the game to alter the situation. It's perfectly doable, although I don't see any harm in spending a few rupees to level up both characters first, they aren't that useful for anything else after all.
Ok, I see. Sorry for the eye-rolling then.

If you have been playing Legend mode on hard the entire time and have been starting off with level 1 characters then you will be fine. The level difficulty is skewed for Ganondorf, so a level 1 Wizzro should be fine as well. P
Well, for the previous levels, we levelled up characters we wanted to use via the dojo, though sometimes they'd still be a few levels below the max because we didn't have enough rupees. And we'd usually pick one max-level (or close to) character as well, anyway. But, I don't know if those levels were scaled differently. Anyway, guess we'll just try it and see.

TheMoon

This is an oooold interview (before the game released in NA) but doesn't practically deconfirm Tingle? ... Albeit it could be read either way, in that, he didn't make it to the main game but could be DLC...Ah!

Everything they're mentioning pertains to the main game without any DLC. The inclusion of DLC characters comes form fan feedback. The base characters were locked in relatively early.

Anyway, we'll know in a few weeks.

So I got this game for myself on Boxing Day, and finally got to put some time into it today... It's pretty fun, but it also gets pretty tense when there's someone or something dying on the other side of the and I can't get there in time! Is it ever possible to unlock some sort of teleport ability any time in this game?

TheMoon

So I got this game for myself on Boxing Day, and finally got to put some time into it today... It's pretty fun, but it also gets pretty tense when there's someone or something dying on the other side of the and I can't get there in time! Is it ever possible to unlock some sort of teleport ability any time in this game?

Nope, no teleports. You just have to deal with captains getting defeated OR get your time/damage management down. This game has a very Pikminesque emphasis on optimization and efficiency. That ultimately gets easier the more you level up your character and learn more moves that demolish crowds faster.

Adam Blue

This game is great.

I'm currently going through Adventure mode, while every once in a while getting back to Legend to beat levels on Hero or Hard for the gold skultulas.

Is it worth getting the DLC now? Will it at all help me with obtaining all the characters that I get in the first adventure mode map, weapons, etc? My goal is to unlock that Master Sword slot. Looks like a grind.

Another question: This game is so good it got me curious to play other DW games. I got DW8XL Complete on PS4, and while it's good, it seems to lack the polish and strategy found in Hyrule Warriors. I like the idea of taking over a keep or the outposts in order to have more troops. I've gone through a few missions in DW8 and so far it's just kill kill kill. I like in HW I can lock-on so I can dodge and stuff (I know that's just more of a Zelda-type combat thing anyway). Any other games similar to Hyrule Warriors?

Thanks.

TheMoon

This game is great.

I'm currently going through Adventure mode, while every once in a while getting back to Legend to beat levels on Hero or Hard for the gold skultulas.

Is it worth getting the DLC now? Will it at all help me with obtaining all the characters that I get in the first adventure mode map, weapons, etc? My goal is to unlock that Master Sword slot. Looks like a grind.Thanks.

DLC adds more completely new and harder adventure mode maps. That won't help you with the current map one bit.

This game is great.

Is it worth getting the DLC now? Will it at all help me with obtaining all the characters that I get in the first adventure mode map, weapons, etc? My goal is to unlock that Master Sword slot. Looks like a grind.

Another question: This game is so good it got me curious to play other DW games. I got DW8XL Complete on PS4, and while it's good, it seems to lack the polish and strategy found in Hyrule Warriors. I like the idea of taking over a keep or the outposts in order to have more troops. I've gone through a few missions in DW8 and so far it's just kill kill kill. I like in HW I can lock-on so I can dodge and stuff (I know that's just more of a Zelda-type combat thing anyway). Any other games similar to Hyrule Warriors?

Thanks.

I don't understand your first question regarding DLC. You do know that you get characters and costumes with the DLC, yes? Will it help you unlock stuff faster in the adventure map? No, that has nothing to do with it.

As for the second question, check out One Piece Pirate Warriors 2.

Adam Blue

I don't understand your first question regarding DLC. You do know that you get characters and costumes with the DLC, yes? Will it help you unlock stuff faster in the adventure map? No, that has nothing to do with it.

As for the second question, check out One Piece Pirate Warriors 2.

Thanks.

Some DLC in other games add more items for the content already on disc. Just clarifying that is not the case here. For instance, using an Amiibo does add more weapons (among other things) to the game for me, which helps me during the grind.

Just got this game. Slowly going through Legend Mode as Link.

Is there a way to dodge? i.e. how would I avoid Ghoma's laser beams?

What is the point of combining weapons?

The content and menus in this game are overwhelming. I feel like I'm missing something or doing something wrong.

Adam Blue

The content and menus in this game are overwhelming. I feel like I'm missing something or doing something wrong.

You use LZ to lock-on, and then B to dodge - or that's how I have the controls. I chose the Zelda-style layout. I could be wrong, but instead of combining it's more like stealing the powers of one. Like, if it has a special slot you want in another - again, unless I'm missing something.

But you're right. There is a lot of content. I've been playing since release and I'm learning new things all the time. IMO, it may be best to just play through Legend Mode and use the leveled-up characters for Adventure mode.

Hit B + a direction to do a dodge roll. They have inv.frames, so they're very useful. You can also hold down B instead to force your character to run instead of waiting for them to build momentum.

Combining weapons is really only good for getting specific abilities onto weapons. Early game, it makes no sense to do it because you probably won't have enough useful abilities. Late game though, when you start unlocking tier 2 and 3 weapons, is when you should be concentrating on combining.

Hit B + a direction to do a dodge roll. They have inv.frames, so they're very useful. You can also hold down B instead to force your character to run instead of waiting for them to build momentum.

Combining weapons is really only good for getting specific abilities onto weapons. Early game, it makes no sense to do it because you probably won't have enough useful abilities. Late game though, when you start unlocking tier 2 and 3 weapons, is when you should be concentrating on combining.

That is golden advice. Thanks!

shaowebb

Also I think you have to get the 25000 skill on the Master Sword too before they begin to countdown in addition to acquiring everyone's level 2& 3 weapons.

Its a pain.

shaowebb

Power Gauntlet Moveset thoughts at High Level...

Been playing more of Link's other movesets lately. The Power Gloves aren't as good as I initially thought when I unlocked them at low level. The slowness of this strings makes him a bit of a pain for taking officers out even though he is excellent for KO count due to the great area effect of his 3rd string (pillar spinning).

Problem is there is a very vulnerable nature to this moveset due to the lulls in some moves that let folks charge in and get hits while you are doing the move. This makes him very poor for high level play. Once you have your badges that alleviate some knockback from hits this doesn't get you interrupted, but in Twilight Map stages where any damage is brutal and you need good health to A Rank this is a poor moveset choice. In the end you get highly limited to abusing his 2 string which I believe is his electric since its fast and has great damage, and the string where he dives under ground and comes back out with an uppercut...which also has recovery at the end and a long dull point in the middle that while invulnerable interferes with time limit oriented A Rank playthroughs of stages.

By no means is this a bad moveset, but the Power Gloves in A rank matches is just not a good idea. You'll essentially use his lightning string and nothing else if you try it seriously with this moveset. Its got too many gaps in his other strings that can get you hurt, and too many lulls that interfere with time limits. Its good for the quick collection of keeps and KOs but the rest I find overall make it too sketchy and an overall harder moveset to use on A ranking. For the rest of the game though...go nuts.

Top Bottom