• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

CBTech

I played the game a little today, in order to see if the increased loading time is that noticeable.

Yes it is. We are not talking about 10 more seconds. Every single map takes 30 more seconds to load. This is insane.

Damn, that is rough. Hopefully they get a patch out before the USA release, but I doubt it. Maybe I should try and get as far into the Twilight Princess map as I can before the patch releases.

Can you guys recommend a good wiki or walk through for the Adventure Mode map? My gf and I are having trouble figuring out where to use/acquire the Item Cards and how to unlock more squares on the map in general. Her favorite character to play is Fi btw. :p

Can you guys recommend a good wiki or walk through for the Adventure Mode map? My gf and I are having trouble figuring out where to use/acquire the Item Cards and how to unlock more squares on the map in general. Her favorite character to play is Fi btw. :p

The original

https://translate.google.com/translate?depth=1&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.se&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://toragame.com/zelda_musou/adventure/map_orange.php

Still works fantastic. It's mostly in Japanese, but the images say more than a thousand words.

Simbabbad

I played the game a little today, in order to see if the increased loading time is that noticeable.

Yes it is. We are not talking about 10 more seconds. Every single map takes 30 more seconds to load. This is insane.
I just measured the time it takes to load a whole level, watch in hand: about 30 to 35 seconds (from disk). I checked on three different battles, the end level of the initial Adventure Mode included.
Are you saying levels took previously none to 5 seconds to load? Come on.

Nobody ever said the longer load time wasn't noticeable, I'd say it's 30% longer, which does make it around 10s more. It's just that waiting 10 seconds more for 10 minutes of fun (and a new restart option sparing a lot of time) doesn't prevent me to play the game, and I'm baffled it could for anybody. Reading some posts you'd think it's game breaking or something.

Now, I'm more annoyed at characters being mislabelled in-game in missions where you can choose your partner: sometimes the game commenting on events names an opponent instead of a partner, it's annoying and I hope it'll be fixed soon (that and the extra 10s load time if it can be done).

So I just tried the DLC. Yeah, the loading time has definitely been increased but it's not too bad. Feels like it's almost doubled. They used to be really short. It's definitely not a 30 seconds increase though, more like 10 - 20 seconds, maybe.

The Young Link convert SP to magic mechanic is interesting and really necessary as Young Link is kind of whatever when he's not in Fierce Deity form.

Is it bad off an HDD too, or just the disk?
I'm digital and have tried both HDD and internal memory. Same crap. Thing is the slow transfer speed thanks to USB2.0 means it isn't going to much faster than disc (file access is improved due to lack of seeking but the actual speed of files copied into RAM is not).

Nohar

I just measured the time it takes to load a whole level, watch in hand: about 30 to 35 seconds (from disk). I checked on three different battles, the end level of the initial Adventure Mode included.
Are you saying levels took previously none to 5 seconds to load? Come on.

Nobody ever said the longer load time wasn't noticeable, I'd say it's 30% longer, which does make it around 10s more. It's just that waiting 10 seconds more for 10 minutes of fun (and a new restart option sparing a lot of time) doesn't prevent me to play the game, and I'm baffled it could for anybody. Reading some posts you'd think it's game breaking or something.

Before the update, the loading had an average time of 11 seconds (if the game is installed on the Wii U) and 16 seconds (if you are reading the game from disc). I watched Let's play videos to check the loading time.
Now, was my precedent estimation excessive? Frankly, yes, no point in denying that I exaggerated a little. This was a mistake on my part, I apologize.

However, as you yourself noticed, the loading time is definitly around 30 seconds now (if not more; for the sake of my demonstration, let's say it averages at 32 seconds). That is a 100% increase in loading time (30% longer would mean that the game would took around 20 seconds to load a map instead of 16; 30% of 16 being 4.8 seconds, not 10). So, yes, it is noticeable and bothersome, especially when you have been playing the game for hundred of hours and suddenly see something taking twice the usual time to load.
Now, some would argue that the Restart option trumps the increased loading time, and that overall we are saving time. And it is probably true. However, I still hope that the issue will be adressed (if it is possible to improve without sacrifying the Restart option, that is).

Simbabbad

It's definitely not a 30 seconds increase though, more like 10 - 20 seconds, maybe.
Out of curiosity, I checked from YouTube, previous time was near 15s, and current near 30s, so it's more a 15s time added than 10s. Definitely not 30s, which would be the entire load time.
Anyway, it's weird. I wonder if there's an explanation or it's just a bug.

I love the new map, I mean the overworld. It really feels like a Zelda game where you have to plan which object you'll grab first to unlock the quickest route. The menace of the map resetting does remind the mechanics and atmosphere of Majora's Mask, and so does the map layout with the Deku area in the South, the Zora area in the West, etc. It seems easy to solve in a first run, though, without ever resetting the map.

Young Link is as fun as real form Midna to play with, really powerful. A shame there isn't missions tailored for him (like there wasn't for Midna), is it because the characters can be bought separately from the levels (no clue if they are, I got the season pass)? But this time more missions can be played with any character, so it's OK.

@Nohar: oh I agree it's annoying, never said it wasn't, but it's still just 15s. Compared with the length of the missions (10-15mn) and the retry option for especially difficult levels, I'm surprised by the posts that present the added time as game breaking or unbearable. It's really a minor nuisance IMO, that's all I'm saying, I wanted to put it into perspective so people who don't have access to the patch yet don't get the wrong idea. But yeah, psychologically it's frustrating, especially since it doesn't seem justified, and I hope it'll get corrected too (maybe by the next update, the Ganon/Boss pack), along with the mislabel in some new missions.

Now, some would argue that the Restart option trumps the increased loading time, and that overall we are saving time. And it is probably true. However, I still hope that the issue will be adressed (if it is possible to improve without sacrifying the Restart option, that is).
When you used to lose didn't you just get the restart and quit option and restart works as it does now? I recall it being like it but can't exactly check as I'm on v1.5.

Young Link is as fun as real form Midna to play with, really powerful. A shame there isn't missions tailored for him (like there wasn't for Midna), is it because the characters can be bought separately from the levels (no clue if they are, I got the season pass)? But this time more missions can be played with any character, so it's OK.
Bolded is the case in Japan. They also have no season pass and each pack costs nearly twice as much.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm digital and have tried both HDD and internal memory. Same crap. Thing is the slow transfer speed thanks to USB2.0 means it isn't going to much faster than disc (file access is improved due to lack of seeking but the actual speed of files copied into RAM is not).

USB 2.0 should be about 3x as fast as the Wii U's disc drive, and should have faster seek times.

Simbabbad

When you used to lose didn't you just get the restart and quit option and restart works as it does now? I recall it being like it but can't exactly check as I'm on v1.5.
Yes, but for some missions where to get a A rank or a second Skutulla you must nearly not take a single hit, running for that goal and being hit implied to wait for enemies to kill you so you could give the mission a new try. For many tough missions it was beyond annoying, especially since your characters can have a ridiculous high level of hearts and enemies can take a VERY long time to kill you so you can at last restart.

So for those cases, when you're all "whoops, I just started the mission and I lost two hearts already, better restart", the new Restart (without losing) option is a God send, that spares much more lost time than the new 15s extra load time, which is IMO negligible on the whole even if frustrating.

BTW, I just noticed that a bug was fixed: before the latest patch, the announced events were most times synchronized with the action, like, "You beat Midona" appearing about 20 (psychological, no idea if actual) seconds after you killed her. Now, everything is synchronized, which is very helpful.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Fierce Deity is the magic skill for young Link and if you keep collecting MP or convert your SP into MP (C1 does this) you can keep the form going for a long time on some maps, especially rack up your KO count maps
Ah, Yeah I noticed that the other day as well. Pretty awesome...

Bottom right corner - 2295 kills using Fierce Diety Link.
...Nice!

Btw, didn't someone say there was a Fierce Deity costume for adult Link too?
How does one unlock that?

Nohar

The game froze after a Master Quest mission. First time the game froze for me, had to manually power off the console.
Well, it is just an isolated incident I guess, though now I'm wary it may happen again.

That being said: Young Link is overpowered. This is the true "God mode" character of Hyrule Warriors.

I played the game again (I used a 3DS game to distract me form the loading times) and had a troll-tastic network link. Prize was 8-bit sword for Link. The thing had 0 slots and despite its 420 power could only be sold for something pathetic like 2000 Rupees.

The Level 3 Volga weapon went a lot better giving me a 420 power weapon with I think 7 slots (I'd only gotten the level 3 weapon unlocked recently...Master Quest in bizarre in that his level 3 weapon is so early and the mission isn't particularly hard) which is quite the nice upgrade.

I also think I handled the start of the MM map "wrong"
I ended up getting two bombs from the initial see the moon crash 3 hour cycle when I think I should have tried for at least one compass

USB 2.0 should be about 3x as fast as the Wii U's disc drive, and should have faster seek times.
I looked it up and found a 22.5MB/s for the disc drive and a 42 MB/s speed for USB 2.0. So maybe not quite 3 times and I'm not sure I see as high as the ratios imply either (some games may have themselves as the bottleneck by making the duration fixed or having some data processing).

King Leo

Neo Member
They need to release a Range+ skill. After using the Master Sword for so long, the Magical Sword seems really inferior.

I don't have Master Sword's skill unlocked so my Magical Sword is stronger ATM, but it just doesn't feel right. :(

R0ckman

Any tips on battle mechanics? Not too fond of the "damage taken" challenges, because sometimes enemies bosses and such just won't flinch, and I don't mean when they attack, which would be fair, but it seems sometimes I'm attacking and they aren't blocking but they are allowed to move in to start a combo and won't flinch as I'm attacking while they are moving in on me. My only idea to counter this is to just look for higher level weapons to damage and kill them faster before the BS kicks in. Where would I go to grind for higher attacking gear? Need better batons for Zelda.

mo60

Any tips on battle mechanics? Not too fond of the "damage taken" challenges, because sometimes enemies bosses and such just won't flinch, and I don't mean when they attack, which would be fair, but it seems sometimes I'm attacking and they aren't blocking but they are allowed to move in to start a combo and won't flinch as I'm attacking while they are moving in on me. My only idea to counter this is to just look for higher level weapons to damage and kill them faster before the BS kicks in. Where would I go to grind for higher attacking gear? Need better batons for Zelda.

Better batons for zelda are found in certain adventure mode missions on the bottom of the first adventure map. Some legend mode stages give more powerful weapons for certain characters if you capture certain keeps. A lot of the new weapons for characters are gotten by beating certain missions in adventure mode or getting an A rank and/or using adventure mode item in certain missions.

mo60

So does anyone know how to get that second skulltula in lake hylia.My impa is around level 40(I think) and the strongest weapon I have for her is a five star level 2 weapon. The main issue I have with this skulltula is that sheik goes in to the room with the main boss of the level right when that room opens and dies.

Sagitario

So does anyone know how to get that second skulltula in lake hylia.My impa is around level 40(I think) and the strongest weapon I have for her is a five star level 2 weapon. The main issue I have with this skulltula is that sheik goes in to the room with the main boss of the level right when that room opens and dies.

You have two options:
- Get a second player to control Sheik
- Wait until you are at a higher level

What I did was is once I got down into the Temple proper area, I cleared out the West keeps first. Then when I went over to the East area I didn't kill any of those monsters wandering in the halls in the lower area besides the Big Poe. So basically that left a bunch of Stalfos. I got the Lens of Truth. By that point Sheik was fighting those Stalfos in the lower hallway. I waited until Sheik was low enough on health to be saved, restored her HP, and then triggered the King Dodongo event. While I was fighting King Dodongo, Sheik was too busy fighting the Stalfos to even make it to the room. That gave me enough time to kill King Dodongo.

There are several tings that help with human-sized bosses:
1) If you know their combos and where they're going to hit, you can simply move out of the way and hit them in the back.
2) Learning which one of their combos will expose their weak points at the end gives you plenty of time to empty them in one go.
3) All characters have a launcher move with combo 2. It will not launch them every time, but when it does they'll be unable to block or retaliate until they touch the ground.
4) Magic mode is great because all your attacks break guard, which usually means they'll be stuck in the reeling guard broken animation.
5) Special attacks are great to use when their weak point gauge is exposed, as they freeze time and usually have a large enough range that they hit even if you were further away.

You have two options:
- Get a second player to control Sheik
- Wait until you are at a higher level

Don't remember about that mission, but a second player justs adds a copy of a character into the battle. Meaning you don't take control of the AI Sheik, you just add another, controllable Sheik.

Sagitario

There are several tings that help with human-sized bosses:
1) If you know their combos and where they're going to hit, you can simply move out of the way and hit them in the back.
2) Learning which one of their combos will expose their weak points at the end gives you plenty of time to empty them in one go.
3) All characters have a launcher move with combo 2. It will not launch them every time, but when it does they'll be unable to block or retaliate until they touch the ground.
4) Magic mode is great because all your attacks break guard, which usually means they'll be stuck in the reeling guard broken animation.
5) Special attacks are great to use when their weak point gauge is exposed, as they freeze time and usually have a large enough range that they hit even if you were further away.

Don't remember about that mission, but a second player justs adds a copy of a character into the battle. Meaning you don't take control of the AI Sheik, you just add another, controllable Sheik.
That can go to heal Sheik and then come back quickly to help you finish King Dodongo on time! ;)

BTW, I just noticed that a bug was fixed: before the latest patch, the announced events were most times synchronized with the action, like, "You beat Midona" appearing about 20 (psychological, no idea if actual) seconds after you killed her. Now, everything is synchronized, which is very helpful.

That seems to still happen, it's just that, like before, it doesn't happen all the time. It seems to happen most often when a bunch of stuff happens at once, as the different messages queue up and sometimes it seems to take a long time to go from one to the next.

That can go to heal Sheik and then come back quickly to help you finish King Dodongo on time! ;)

Yeah, I'm sure you meant that. :D

Neiteio

Posted these in the DLC thread:

The mask costumes are starting to trickle in:

luupk.png

edurg.png

7guxa.png

56um9.png

6qub5.png

v4ubo.png

s2u30.png

ubzox.png

fxuyg.png

More to come!

colinp

Banned
Man, I want to get this BUT I need PayPal $ as I'm living in Japan... Anyone want japanese PSN, itunes or something for $60 US? ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I bought this yesterday while I was out. I played the first mission, but I'm not entirely sure what was going on. There were a lot of warnings and info pop-ups happening telling me about keeps being attacked, keeps falling, Zelda doing this, Impa doing that...

Is there a good way to understand what I'm actually supposed to do in a given mission? Am I supposed to run around defeating enemies at keeps, going to aid the side characters out, or just run to wherever the map is pinging?

Also, regarding the DLC, I was trying to make sense of the options...It looks like I can just buy the $20 pack and get everything that has already and will come out? Or was I reading it wrong?

I bought this yesterday while I was out. I played the first mission, but I'm not entirely sure what was going on. There were a lot of warnings and info pop-ups happening telling me about keeps being attacked, keeps falling, Zelda doing this, Impa doing that...

Is there a good way to understand what I'm actually supposed to do in a given mission? Am I supposed to run around defeating enemies at keeps, going to aid the side characters out, or just run to wherever the map is pinging?

Also, regarding the DLC, I was trying to make sense of the options...It looks like I can just buy the $20 pack and get everything that has already and will come out? Or was I reading it wrong?

You can see your objective and all the stuff they've been saying to you in the pause menu. You can see the health of your allies and bases as well, and the defeat conditions too.

That DLC pack gives you all DLC except for the costume packs.

Rafavert

If you're playing with the gamepad, the screen gives you a list of tasks like "Eliminate X" or "Take keep X and Y". Also pay attention to the map. Flashing points are points of interest (usually enemies you need to defeat) and keeps with a green effect are keeps you need to occupy. Red dots are enemy commanders (often you need to eliminate them all to open the enemy base) or bombchus (which will be used to destroy your keeps).

After over a month I've finally unlocked ALL of the Adventure Map.... And I still got Master Quest, Twillight and Termina to explore D: this game is nuts contentwise...

Been having some troubles getting Agitha's tier 3 weapon, though (Why must you suck so much, Agitha?). Anyone got a few tips to share?

If there is one thing I hate about the adventure maps is that the colour coding disappears. Colour coding you say? They act somewhat as an indicator of difficulty/route and I found an image gallery of them:
http://imgur.com/a/xLGZe
I have to say for Master Quest I kind of went east through the purple rather than North.

Rafavert

If there is one thing I hate about the adventure maps is that the colour coding disappears. Colour coding you say? They act somewhat as an indicator of difficulty/route and I found an image gallery of them:
I have to say for Master Quest I kind of went east through the purple rather than North.

What? Didn't even know about this....

In what I played of the MQ map, I went northeast just to grab Cia's tier 2 weapon. The tier 2 weapons were what brought me to the MQ map before tackling the Adventure one more seriously.

bobohoro

I'm still confused about orange and brown. What they label as orange is more ochre-brown to me and the brown looks more orange. So for Termina it's Middle -> South -> North -> West -> East.

Dreavus

Oh man, those are all pretty great choices for masks. I love them all, except for perhaps Sheik's (darker outfit from the Master Quest map is too good to give up). Even Ghirahim's mask works for him in some weird way.

I'm going to be sad that I won't be able to get these for a while. I'm part way through Master Quest and haven't touched the Twilight map yet.

What's the word on the difficulty of the MM map? I know the TP map had quite the difficulty spike according to some people. Is it the same deal with this one? Maybe I could push through and win some of the cooler looking masks if they're anywhere close to the starting point.

What's the word on the difficulty of the MM map? I know the TP map had quite the difficulty spike according to some people. Is it the same deal with this one? Maybe I could push through and win some of the cooler looking masks if they're anywhere close to the starting point.
Impressions are MM map is easier than TP map. Difficulty level does sound all over the place still and maybe enemies are a bit strong defensively (but the offense isn't as insane as the TP map gets). The scenarios are interesting and the world map has lots of backtracking.

jlscool

That is interesting if the level difficulty doesn't spike like the Twilight map did. I thought the level cap was raised again to like 200?

Does anyone know what materials are needed for the badges of the 2 new characters, just curious. Might as well farm for them now while I wait for the update (US).

Impressions are MM map is easier than TP map. Difficulty level does sound all over the place still and maybe enemies are a bit strong defensively (but the offense isn't as insane as the TP map gets). The scenarios are interesting and the world map has lots of backtracking.

Well then that would pretty much confirm they switched the map releases around to help market the release of MM3D. Kinda dumb imo, especially since it affects the difficulty level.

Robbydude

Neo Member
Indeed. I 100%'d the Adventure and Master Quest map without grinding, but then again, the Twilight Princess map does give you tools to grind.

what do you mean by this? is there a certain mission on the twilight map that lets you power level or something?

Neiteio

Just unlocked the Summoning Gate. This weapon is madness! I love how it summons miniature versions of the bosses to fight on your behalf.

Now the only lv. 1 weapon I need to unlock is the Great Fairy, in the lower left corner of the Adventure map. I need to A-rank the mission to the right of it first. It's a Zelda mission where an A rank will earn me the lv. 2 baton.

Any tips on this mission? It recommends lightning and requires you to use Zelda, so I use the baton. First task is to take out a captain, so I defeat the first winged lizard-man (spelling eludes me at this moment). If I do a weakpoint smash in him, it takes down about a third his HP (my Zelda is lv. 43, and I'm using a 120 baton, iirc). Takes him a while to reveal his weakpoint sometimes, though.

After that it's off to fight Volga and Wizzro near the Allied Keep. It's difficult to bait Volga into revealing his weakpoint, or rather I have difficulty hitting him in time.

When I take those two down, there's a base to the west of the allied base, through which the rogue leader (another winged lizard-man) will pass. He's like a tougher version of the first winged lizard-man. I really want to figure out how to take him down quickly.

Once he's gone, it's to the north of the map to fight Ghirahim. There are two redead knights sending reinforcements, though. It seems the allied base sometimes falls around this point, while I'm fighting Ghirahim. Need to beat it in under 15 minutes, take less than 4,000 damage, and KO 1,200 enemies to get the A-rank.

Tempted to try the guard break potion. Does it only last for one enemy? Or does it last the entire mission and thus I can instantly break the guard of every enemy I encounter?

Bombless

Just unlocked the Summoning Gate. This weapon is madness! I love how it summons miniature versions of the bosses to fight on your behalf.

Now the only lv. 1 weapon I need to unlock is the Great Fairy, in the lower left corner of the Adventure map. I need to A-rank the mission to the right of it first. It's a Zelda mission where an A rank will earn me the lv. 2 baton.

Any tips on this mission? It recommends lightning and requires you to use Zelda, so I use the baton. First task is to take out a captain, so I defeat the first winged lizard-man (spelling eludes me at this moment). If I do a weakpoint smash in him, it takes down about a third his HP (my Zelda is lv. 43, and I'm using a 120 baton, iirc). Takes him a while to reveal his weakpoint sometimes, though.

After that it's off to fight Volga and Wizzro near the Allied Keep. It's difficult to bait Volga into revealing his weakpoint, or rather I have difficulty hitting him in time.

When I take those two down, there's a base to the west of the allied base, through which the rogue leader (another winged lizard-man) will pass. He's like a tougher version of the first winged lizard-man. I really want to figure out how to take him down quickly.

Once he's gone, it's to the north of the map to fight Ghirahim. There are two redead knights sending reinforcements, though. It seems the allied base sometimes falls around this point, while I'm fighting Ghirahim. Need to beat it in under 15 minutes, take less than 4,000 damage, and KO 1,200 enemies to get the A-rank.

Tempted to try the guard break potion. Does it only last for one enemy? Or does it last the entire mission and thus I can instantly break the guard of every enemy I encounter?

I can't A-rank it yet because my Zelda is still too low level but I beat the mission using the golem rod. Forget using the Wind Waker, it's a godawful weapon.

Rafavert

The potion is valid throughout the whole battle and remains as long as you don't leave the map (aka return to the adventure map). Getting killed or restarting the battle will not remove the potion's effect.

Top Bottom